Wells Fargo Plaza: Office Skyscraper At 1000 Louisiana St.

Montrose1100

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there, i am doing some research on the wells fargo tower in houston and i came across this forum. specifically i am looking for any information on the damage that was done to it during hurricanes, i guess particularly alicia but anything would be great. did anyone see the glass blown out of the windows? did you hear anything about glass being broken? if you happen to have any pictures or know where i could get some that would make my day. thanks!

Hi there, i am doing some research on the wells fargo tower in houston and i came across this forum. specifically i am looking for any information on the damage that was done to it during hurricanes, i guess particularly alicia but anything would be great. did anyone see the glass blown out of the windows? did you hear anything about glass being broken? if you happen to have any pictures or know where i could get some that would make my day. thanks!

I can dig up some captures from some footage I still have from the Hurricane...

I don't recall it did that much to Wells Fargo, though the Hyatt and 1100 Louisiana got it bad on portions.

• Like 1

I can dig up some captures from some footage I still have from the Hurricane...

I don't recall it did that much to Wells Fargo, though the Hyatt and 1100 Louisiana got it bad on portions.

If you have photos of anything after the hurricane that would be such a huge help. Any photos of damage done to high rise buildings...

THANKS!

Hey, i am doing research on the Wells Fargo Tower too. I was wondering if anyone had any information on the glass systems that the building uses that would be great. Specifically, i need to know what kind of glass it is, and how it is held in place.

thanx alot!

Hey, i am doing research on the Wells Fargo Tower too. I was wondering if anyone had any information on the glass systems that the building uses that would be great. Specifically, i need to  know what kind of glass it is, and how it is held in place.

thanx alot!

you should check it out on emporis.com. there is a listing on there of what construction companies were involved with it and if you call them im sure they could give you an answer.

• 1 month later...
Guest KOKON Steel

I like big butts and I cannot lie. You other brothers can't deny.

Oh yeah the Wells Fargo building is pretty cool. It's all...glass and whatnot. Green is good, too. Greeeeeen...yeah...like the stuff I light and inhale...ohhhh yeah baby.

Cough, Cough...

ohhh, man....

I gotta go, it's time to eat Cheetos.

Later,

I mean on steel...

;)

• 3 months later...

I used to work in what was then the First Interstate Bank building back in 1991-92.

One interesting thing happened that I still recall. . .

I got off the Metro bus at street level. It was raining.

Rode the express elevator to the sky lobby. The sky was clear blue and the clouds were below me.

Rode the local elevator down to my office (47th floor IIRC), and it was densly foggy out my window. Couldn't see a thing. No rain, no blue sky. Just fog.

• Like 1

The Wells Fargo Plaza:

Location: Street 1000 Louisiana Street                         

Postcode: 77002

Neighborhood: Downtown

Borough: Inner Loop East

City: Houston

Technical Data: 

Height: 972 ft (296 m)

Floors: 71

Construction: Built in 1983

Style: Modern

Facts 

- Inside, two double-decked skylobbies offer public views from different heights uring business hours. 

- The building's footprint is in the shape of a dollar sign. 

- Tallest all-glass building in the Western Hemisphere. 

- Wells Fargo Center is located in Houston's Central Business District on the corner of Rusk and Travis Streets. 

- The 71-story building features a warm bronze glass facade and a main lobby adorned with terrazzo tile accented with incandescent lighting. 

- Wells Fargo Center's convenient location offers Metro Bus Service and direct access to downtown Houston's 2.5-mile climate controlled underground pedestrian system. 

- The design partner for Wells Fargo Plaza was Richard Keating. 

- This is the second tallest building in Houston and Texas.

Companies:

owner: Metropolitan Life Insurance Company 

owner: Metropolitan Tower Realty Company, Inc. 

developer: Century Development Corporation 

design architect: Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP 

associate architect: Lloyd Jones Brewer & Associates 

general contractor: Turner Construction Company 

structural engineering: Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP 

tenant: Wells Fargo Bank 

wells_fargo_plaza_2.jpg

wells_fargo_plaza.jpg

hou1intb.jpg

Very Nice.

Some times i think this tower gets overlooked because of the Williams Tower and former TX Commerce Tower. Like other posters, i think it adds great distinctiveness to Houston's skyline. I tried to go to the observation deck back in Dec. when i visited Houston, but it was closed. Is this still true? I would love to be able to see some of the posted vistas first hand.

m.

I like big butts and I cannot lie.  You other brothers can't deny.

Oh yeah the Wells Fargo building is pretty cool.  It's all...glass and whatnot.  Green is good, too.  Greeeeeen...yeah...like the stuff I light and inhale...ohhhh yeah baby.

Cough, Cough...

ohhh, man....

I gotta go, it's time to eat Cheetos.

Later,

I mean on steel...

;)

You are an idiot.

m.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
Do all glass building's like the Wells Fargo Tower have long lifespans like building's made of stone material?

Dont know but in the case of Houston i think they are better than the all concrete buildings when it comes to damage created by wind. The glass panels are a lot easier to replace than replacing missing or damage concrete chunks or stone chunks.

I guess what i am talking about is how long would it take for them to fall apart? 100, 200 years or more ?

Well, usually skyscrapers are kept up.

Now if lets say the world ended and all the structures were left standing to rot in the sky... Assuming a very long period of time might include a major hurricane or 2, alot of glass would break along the way. The first buildings that would go would be the old Sheraton & Days Inn. (Because those are already rotting).

I guess what i am talking about is how long would it take for them to fall apart? 100, 200 years or more ?

It just depends. This past April, a parking garage ramp collapsed without warning in downtown Rochester, NY. It had been standing for only 32 years; the cables which supported a cantilevered spiral ramp had been wrapped in paper, which deteriorated over time and allowed the cables to corrode (and eventually fail.)

140553857_db10c9d60b.jpg

Wells Fargo in GMAX, with plywood covering the broken windows (old model of mine, lol)

plywoodwfal0.jpg

Edited by UrbaNerd

• 2 weeks later...
Wells Fargo in GMAX, with plywood covering the broken windows (old model of mine, lol)

Wow! That many windows were blown out when Alicia hit? ...glad I wasn't downtown when that happened. I remember Alicia ...messed up prom a bit. ^_^

I'm also fortunate to have worked in the Wells Fargo Plaza for a few years ('94-'96). That building really is as beautiful inside as it is outside. Hehehe, speaking of which - those marble floors are REALLY smooth on rollerblades. B) Yeah, one Thursday after a few too many at Party on the Plaza, me and a few of my friends used my access card and went rollerblading around the bank - through and around the lobby, down the elevators into the garage, and then back up and out. We left without getting caught, but the next day at work I had a visit from security. I blamed it on too much beer and we laughed it off...after I promised never to do it again. :P

Do" all glass" building's like the Wells Fargo Tower have long lifespans like building's made of stone material?

It has nothing to do with glass. All skyscrapers have a skeleton. One Shell has a concrete skeleton clad in travertine with glass windows; Wells Fargo has a steel skeleton with an all glass cladding. Their lifespans are dependent on maintenance for the most part. Left unmaintained, it's anyone's guess whether a concrete skeleton would out live a bare steel skeleton. Some alloys of structural steel can withstand the elements for over 100 years.

The Lever house was built in 1952 [same year I was built ^_^ ] and has been overhauled in the last few years. I am confident it will be standing and in use long after I am gone.

lever1.gif

Edited by nmainguy

• 1 month later...
Yes, VH1 originated in Houston. I knew about it, but I weasn't into it or MTV back then, so I don't know all that much about how it got started. I do know that it was 1985 when they were in Allied Bank.

VH1 and MTV (both Viacom) are and ALWAYS were in New York City. Hit Video USA a.k.a. TV 5 Houston Hit Video had their office on the 35th floor of The Allied Bank Plaza in 1985. I remember VJ Greg Johnson very well. It was Channel 5 KO5HU and unless you lived inside the loop 610, the reception was not that great, the closer you were to downtown, the better picture you got.

Wow! That many windows were blown out when Alicia hit? ...glad I wasn't downtown when that happened. I remember Alicia ...messed up prom a bit. ^_^

I was working across the street during Alicia at what was then Interfirst Plaza (now 1100 Louisiana/Enterprise Plaza). I can tell you that there were not nearly that many windows blown out as in "UrbaNerd"'s model. But I got to tell you Urba.........cool model!

The Lever house was built in 1952 [same year I was built ^_^ ] and has been overhauled in the last few years. I am confident it will be standing and in use long after I am gone.

lever1.gif

But have you been overhauled like The Lever House Building nmainguy? :lol: I used to work across the street from The Lever Bldg in NY at Park Avenue Plaza, now that's a cool atrium building.

Edited by EspersonBuildings
  • Like 1