Hubcap Grill Beer & Burger Garden Coming To The Heights

Moose

Last night, Hubcap Grill announced on its twitter feed:

"Coming soon to the Heights. Hubcap Burgers and Beer Garden. Live bands on weekends ( classic Texas rock ) Texas beers"

A number of the feeds followers wanted details, but the owner said he'd announce on Monday.

But...about an hour ago:

"It's official: @hubcap_grill just signed lease for a space on 19th St. in the Heights near Cedar Creek. Hubcap Burgers & Beer Garden. Woohoo!"

Any one care to speculate as to where on 19th. This sounds like an interesting addition to the neighborhood. Their burgers are considered some of the best in town. Last night, he stated it would be open in two months.

More from @hubcap_grill

@Hubcap_Grill Ricky Craig

"It's ridiculous! Some peeps in the heights are trying to stop me ( Hubcap ) from opening. I'm not WalMart. Geez"

Here we have a local business interested in investing in the Heights/Shady Acres area in a down economy and people are jumping to conclusions. Maybe we can get really lucky and get a Red Robin or a Fuddruckers.

For instance from the Shady Acres Discussion Group:

My link

"Live bands? I don't think i am ok with this. Will the civic club work

with the owners to ensure the residents interests are being voiced?"

Edited by Moose

Seriously??? All of this is ONE person, not people, complaining. EVERYONE I have talked with in the neighborhood is excited and ready for Hubcap to open, they are not trying to stand in the way at all. "@Hubcap_Grill Ricky Craig" needs to get over it and open already! All of this childish drama is beginning to turn-off those of us who are excited about a new, cool place to eat and hang out.

Seriously??? All of this is ONE person, not people, complaining. EVERYONE I have talked with in the neighborhood is excited and ready for Hubcap to open, they are not trying to stand in the way at all. "@Hubcap_Grill Ricky Craig" needs to get over it and open already! All of this childish drama is beginning to turn-off those of us who are excited about a new, cool place to eat and hang out.

I'd consider it a legitimate concern in the Heights, where the vocal minority gets their way.

First they came for the new home developers

but I did not speak up because I was not a new home developer

Then they came for commercial developers,

but I did not speak up because I was not a commercial developer

Next they came for the burger and beer gardens....

Edited by JJxvi
  • Like 1

Maybe it is just one person, but with the fight and fuss the civic club put up against La Hacienda on 26th and Couch I wasn't sure.

Looks like the actual location is the old Mi Cocina Victor's Cafe:

Via Swamplot

I was part of the Shady Acres Civic Club board. The La Hacienda was located in the heart of a residential street. It actually backs up to people's backyard. Hence the protests began. However, if I am not mistaken and I don't want to speak for anybody, I think we are for commercial/restaurant establishments on W 19 and W 20 because those streets are commercial corridors. I personally welcome a hamburger joint on W 19. It surely beats more used car lots.

• 3 months later...

More from @hubcap_grill

@Hubcap_Grill Ricky Craig

"It's ridiculous! Some peeps in the heights are trying to stop me ( Hubcap ) from opening. I'm not WalMart. Geez"

Here we have a local business interested in investing in the Heights/Shady Acres area in a down economy and people are jumping to conclusions. Maybe we can get really lucky and get a Red Robin or a Fuddruckers.

For instance from the Shady Acres Discussion Group:

My link

"Live bands? I don't think i am ok with this. Will the civic club work

with the owners to ensure the residents interests are being voiced?"

One of the things I've learned is that no matter who you are and what kind of retail/commercial you are bringing to an area, SOMEONE is going to complain about it. Sit down at the Planning Commission a few times and you realize that a small number of people are willing to go down to City Hall to try to prevent anything they don't like the idea of, no matter how benign. The Heights seems to have more than it share of these types but they're a very tiny minority so business owners just need to ignore them. They used to control the Heights Association and they chased off business after business but they are on the outs and will stay that way. Business owners just have to shrug off the nutcases that would complain about Grandma opening a quilting business.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

He's shooting for March 1st.

He missed. Or he thinks being open on a Friday evening is a bad idea.

EDIT: Sorry for being lazy. I search, I find.

http://theloopscoop.com/hubcap-grill-and-beer-garden-an-update

Set to open sometime in mid-April (sooner if antagonists stop calling 311)
Edited by 20thStDad

• 4 months later...

Pretty good. Not the best I've had though. I had the hubcap decker, not a big fan of the piece of bread in the middle. If it was juicy, the bread took that away. I'll try something different next time. Size and prices are decent. They do have a small room with a/c on the left side, which is key for times like August.

• The title was changed to Hubcap Grill Beer & Burger Garden Coming To The Heights
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Local burger restaurant Hubcap Grill closed over the weekend. The closure was shared in a Saturday post on Nextdoor.

Hubcap Grill was located in the Shady Acres neighborhood at 1133 W 19th St.

They have been month to month on their property as the land is being bundled up for a residential development.  They finally decided to bail as they are shifting to the burbs with a big new location in Santa Fe, TX.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Craig said the property and the adjacent lots were being sold off for a new residential development.

A few days earlier, Craig announced another Hubcap Grill location was being planned for Santa Fe in the 12400 block of FM 1764. That location is expected to open late spring/early summer."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/article/houston-heights-hubcap-grill-restaurant-closes-17751917.php

19 minutes ago, hindesky said:

"Craig said the property and the adjacent lots were being sold off for a new residential development.

A few days earlier, Craig announced another Hubcap Grill location was being planned for Santa Fe in the 12400 block of FM 1764. That location is expected to open late spring/early summer."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/food-culture/restaurants-bars/article/houston-heights-hubcap-grill-restaurant-closes-17751917.php

And Nextdoor is awash with people who are mad about more apartments. What the heck did they think would get built there?

4 hours ago, ADCS said:

Owner had said the rent was too high, but I get the sense that he's now living in Pearland, and it's not worth it to him anymore to drive all the way to the Heights on a regular basis.

.. He has restaurants in Pearland, Galveston and Bush Airport, and apparently planning one in Santa Fe. I doubt if the drive to Shady Acres was the reason for closing.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/30/2023 at 9:34 PM, Houston19514 said:

.. He has restaurants in Pearland, Galveston and Bush Airport, and apparently planning one in Santa Fe. I doubt if the drive to Shady Acres was the reason for closing.

Given all the IAH concessions are operated by Delaware North (last time I checked), there's probably not a whole lot of effort that goes into running that store. The rest are all in the SE side of town.