Heights Plaza: Retail Center At 239 W. 20th St.

expat

There is a huge "For Lease" sign on the lot that holds Kroger, Subway, Walgreens, etc. at 19th & Yale. Anyone know what's happening with that?

The strip could definitely use a facelift, but i sure hope they don't tear it down and build yet MORE apartments/townhomes. . .

Any thoughts/knowledge?

So they're giving Kroger the boot? Tearing down the whole thing and allowing the lessee to build? It's not exactly an architectural marvel, regardless of what we think of Weingarten. . .so does anyone know what they are planning?

I just hope they do *something* better with that place. I'm not a big fan of Houston's obsession with suburban style strip malls in the city anyway... it's so sad the two strip malls we have on 19th street next to a great historic, walkable storefront "downtown". If they do tear down and rebuild commercial there I hope they put the parking in the rear instead of in front. There is a neighborhood in Salt Lake City called Sugarhouse which is very similar in age and character to the Heights and they have an ordinance requiring all parking to be in the rear of buildings and it's made a huge difference (improvement) in the feel of the neighborhood. They still have all of the large stores along with boutiques but they come to the sidewalk and keep the area very historic feeling and walkable but convenient for the automobile at the same time... not that the our city ever would/could have the foresight or long-range planning to put a plan like this in place but it would be very nice for the look and feel of our neighborhood. Sorry got a little off topic there, thanks for letting me vent. :)

Weingarten's site doesn't give any clues as to what is available or planned for the center?

Nothing is wrong with groceries, I was referring to the style and look of the center itself not the tenants.

So it's OK if they replace that grocery store with another, more attractive grocery store? It doesn't matter what they sell, just how it looks?

So it's OK if they replace that grocery store with another, more attractive grocery store? It doesn't matter what they sell, just how it looks?

Easy there memebag, I think you are missing my point entirely. I am referring to urban design characteristics, what they sell or how the structures "looks" (in the sense you are talking about) isn't important to my point. How the structure itself fits into the fabric of the neighborhood is what I'm talking about even if it's the same exact tenants selling the same things.

Easy there memebag, I think you are missing my point entirely. I am referring to urban design characteristics, what they sell or how the structures "looks" (in the sense you are talking about) isn't important to my point. How the structure itself fits into the fabric of the neighborhood is what I'm talking about even if it's the same exact tenants selling the same things.

I agree. I am missing your point entirely. I have friends in that area who shop at those stores. The fact that they sell drugs and groceries matters more than how the structures fit into the fabric of the neighborhood. I doubt the fabric fitting aspect of those structures matters to anyone in any meaningful way.

I doubt the fabric fitting aspect of those structures matters to anyone in any meaningful way.

You're probably mistaken on that. I'm in your camp on this, but reality being what it is, there are plenty of folks that place greater priority on form than function.

I agree. I am missing your point entirely. I have friends in that area who shop at those stores. The fact that they sell drugs and groceries matters more than how the structures fit into the fabric of the neighborhood. I doubt the fabric fitting aspect of those structures matters to anyone in any meaningful way.

I am simply making a observation to the future of the neighborhood and it's accessibility to those both with and without cars. There are plenty of low rent structures that cater to a lower income population that have a good urban design, in fact most well designed (or I should say well preserved) urban areas in Houston are in lower income areas because they haven't been destroyed by wealthier strip mall developers trying to attracted the masses of people who can afford to drive everywhere to get what the want. I like your populist message but you clearly are just trolling for an argument and don't have anything meaningful to say or add to the discussion without attacking me. Perhaps I should have phrased my first comment like "*if* they are going to tear down and rebuild here this is what I would like to see..." I'm not saying they should tear it down but a little upkeep would be nice because even those with little money take pride in the things they own and realistically I don't think Weingarten is struggling with the day to day. But that's beside the point because like it or not the neighborhood is changing and nothing is going to stop that. Most likely this will turn into a more upscale strip mall just like what they did on 19th street and then we both lose. :)

That said I'll leave this topic alone, bc like most on this board a civil exchange always spirals down negatively very quickly.

Funny, they have a lease sign up on the Kroger in West Memorial too. Its a pretty old and dingy store. Is Kroger just down sizing its Houston presence by shutting down its non-Signature stores?

I'm assuming the 20th-street closure is connected at least in part to the expansion of the 11th-street Kroger.

There was some previous discussion of the 20th-street Kroger and plans for Heights Plaza in this thread and this thread.

I'm also assuming that the fact that there's a for-lease sign out means at least that it's not 100% decided yet what will happen to the property.

I have a client who works for Kroger corporate who said they will eventually be closing the few remaining "old" stores they have in lieu of the new bigger Kroger Signatures stores. The burbs exclusively have huge mega signature stores and the smaller original style stores are more scattered around mostly in the older areas of town. He said that the 11th street expansion is the main reason that the 20th street store is going to go away. My guess is it's probably just a matter of timing, lease up at one place, good time to start construction on the new one and the close the old one.

And don't forget, as has been mentioned on the Kroger expansion thread, they are actively wanting residents to email them and let them know what we want in the new expanded store. I talked to an employee at the 11st store and she said that from what she has heard, the biggest suggestions so far are for a bigger wine department and more organics.

I have a client who works for Kroger corporate who said they are closing the few remaining "old" stores they have in lieu of the new bigger Kroger Signatures stores.

I had a feeling that's what was going on. This explains the lease sign on the old West Memorial one. In my searching for info on this I came across the builder's website for the Brownstones in CIty Center. The builder was claiming a Randalls (which is already there) and a Kroger in the complex (currently not there).

So is it the entire center that's for lease, or just the Kroger? The listing on Weingarten's site was unclear, but OTOH it didn't specify that it was only the Kroger space for lease. I'd be upset to see the Walgreens close, as I can't stand CVS, and that Walgreens is practically the only non-CVS option left anywhere nearby.

I'll also be sorry to see the Kroger close, despite the bashing it's frequently received here, but I knew it was inevitable. We rarely shop there anymore compared to when we first moved into the neighborhood, but it still serves the needs of neighborhood residents, many of whom are lower- or fixed-income. Not everyone prefers the megastores, and since the HEB on 11th closed, the 20th St. Kroger and the Fiesta on Studewood were the only smaller neighborhood grocery stores left in the area.

and the Fiesta on Studewood were the only smaller neighborhood grocery stores left in the area.

Just a side note. Finally went to the Studewood Fiesta and it's not bad at all. Old school type store but it looked clean as far as I can tell. From the way most people talk about it I was expecting to be accosted by rats and roaches as soon as I walked in the door.

We love the Studewood Fiesta!

Decent prices, though you might not have as much of a meat or produce selection as the Kroger.

The other thing I love about it is its complete old-school vibe. No lawn furniture displays in the aisles. No plasma screen displays blaring advertising at you when you're standing in line, either.

This would be a great location for a gym. Large open space with a big parking lot.

Everybody please go to www.24hourfitness.com and leave a comment inviting them to the neighborhood. Or you can call them at (800) 432-6348.

There were rumors that 24HR was looking at the BenHur site and then changed their focus to the 19th St. Kroger when the Yale site became unavailable. I'm a Bally's guy but they would be a nice addition. Might even switch since that location would be so convenient.

• 3 months later...

I agree with this guy. It does matter what the store looks like. That's the impression that the place gives to everyone, especially those who haven't entered the store. Just like a house's curb appeal affects the appearance of the neighborhood no matter how fancy or polished the inside is or isn't.

Oh it would be so great if they opened a Trader Joe's in that location but I know that isn't going to happen. I hate having to go to places like Central Market and Whole Foods to find some interesting food. The prices at those places are prohibitive.

• 1 month later...
Oh it would be so great if they opened a Trader Joe's in that location but I know that isn't going to happen. I hate having to go to places like Central Market and Whole Foods to find some interesting food. The prices at those places are prohibitive.

In a dry area, Trader Joe's seems to make to much on wine sales to consider that location. Anyway, they still have no presence in the Houston area and don't seem to have any plans. Hope they change their minds. The Fiesta store on Studewood could be a good spot. Trader Joe's stores tend to be on the smallish side, about that size.

I was getting my usual cheap tuesday haircut last night next to Kroger and the stylist said the large red brick church directly across 20th has been sold to developers who are planning an apartment complex. Any confirmation on that?

I was getting my usual cheap tuesday haircut last night next to Kroger and the stylist said the large red brick church directly across 20th has been sold to developers who are planning an apartment complex. Any confirmation on that?

interesting. i wouldn't be surprised. there are altogether too many churches in the heights. i wonder, though, if this is the church that provides all the parking for 19th street?

also, i wonder if they will demo or reno? i love the renoed church over by Travis Elem.

Yes, this church provides the free parking for 19th Street. It is called Baptist Temple.

Centennial Celebration

Baptist Temple will be celebrating its 100 year anniversary on June 8, 2008. Join us on this special day as we honor our past and present a plan to fulfill our vision of being a neighborhood church that ministers to all people.

http://www.baptisttemple.org/home.aspx?pid=1

Archived