Hathaway St.

icepickphil

My father lived at 602 Hathaway Street for a time in the 1920s. It was the same road as Westheimer and was just west of Elgin.

As recently as '61 (according to some Houston street maps) that portion of Westheimer was still known as Hathaway. Does anyone know when exactly Hathaway Street's name was changed as it became part of Westheimer?

link to '55 Houston street map showing Hathaway.

Edited by icepickphil

I remember some talk about Hathaway here...hang on..

In this thread Subdude wrote "On a 1956 map it is shown as Hathaway, but on my 1965 map it has changed to Westheimer, so it was sometime during that span, about the same time they changed Buffalo Dr. to Allen Parkway. I don't know why they changed it. Personally, I like Hathaway."

Looks like they preserved the numbering. Hathaway appeared to start at Brazos. I counted six blocks from there and ended up in the 600 block of Westheimer. Here is the street view. There's an old house labeled 604.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=602+westheimer,+houston+tx&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=602+Westheimer+Rd,+Houston,+Harris,+Texas+77006&ll=29.743196,-95.387142&spn=0.015277,0.026157&z=16&layer=c&cbll=29.744503,-95.389045&panoid=AfDJ7-QMEq2MEiXWMkJE2A&cbp=12,349.51,,0,11.05

Edited by kylejack

Between 1961 and 1962 maybe (I included 1913 too, since that was the oldest I could find):

Could the renaming of Hathaway to Westheimer be related to the continuation of Montrose Blvd (north of Westheimer), which occurred at about the same time?

Could the renaming of Hathaway to Westheimer be related to the continuation of Montrose Blvd (north of Westheimer), which occurred at about the same time?

Must be, because Montrose appears to be Lincoln north of Hathaway/Westheimer.

I guess Hathaway is what would be considered Lower Westheimer today.

Must be, because Montrose appears to be Lincoln north of Hathaway/Westheimer.

I wonder if pictures exist which show Lincoln St as it was before it was expanded into (North) Montrose.

Existing buildings which face on that portion of Montrose all seem to date from the '60s.

• The title was changed to Hathaway St.