Baseball card appraisal

sevfiv

Hi all,

I have a moderate collection of baseball cards (most from the late 1980s I'd say) and I'd like to do some research about them before I ultimately get rid of them. First, can anyone recommend some online card sites that could help (or books, I guess *sigh* :)) and for the next step, anyone that buys in town? If I found anything mildly spectacular I'd sell myself but I have a feeling I'll need to get rid of in bulk (if all else fails I'll sell as a lot on ebay)..

TIA!

www.beckett.com is the online guide to what many consider the best price guide for sports cards. However, a card is only worth what someone is willing to pay, so in that regard I often see things on eBay like 'Beckett priced at $35, buy now for only $7!'. Around 1990 was when the baseball card glut happened so generally speaking those aren't worth the cardboard their printed on. Ken Griffey Jr was rookied in 1989, but I think generally if you recognize the players name on your card then you might have something worth selling. The other 'commons' maybe not so much.

www.beckett.com is the online guide to what many consider the best price guide for sports cards. However, a card is only worth what someone is willing to pay, so in that regard I often see things on eBay like 'Beckett priced at $35, buy now for only $7!'. Around 1990 was when the baseball card glut happened so generally speaking those aren't worth the cardboard their printed on. Ken Griffey Jr was rookied in 1989, but I think generally if you recognize the players name on your card then you might have something worth selling. The other 'commons' maybe not so much.

Yeah, Beckett is what I always used as a kid. Their online site looks a little confusing. You used to be able to pick up a magazine at any store, at least one with lots of magazines.

You're spot on there, that was when I was at the height of my collecting. I didn't go nuts, just 1 complete set and a bunch of packs from the circle K so I could get gum. But, my 1991 Topps set proved to be worth more to me as something to study than be worth anything $-wise. I remember looking at Beckett's a few years later, and the only card from that set worth $1 (and exactly that) was the Alex Fernandez rookie card. Amazing how I didn't get to turn my investment into millions. I still have that stuff somewhere...

Archived