Who here likes Chicago?

As many of you know, HAIF has a sister site, Chicago Architecture Info. A couple of weeks ago I asked the members of CAI's Twitter and Facebook groups if they would be interested in a forum devoted just to Chicago's built environment, similar to what we have here at HAIF. The response was overwhelmingly positive.

So, I've created CIAF.

It would be great if all of the Chicago-minded HAIFers could pop over there and get the ball rolling with some posts. I really appreciate the help.

I'd love to contribute, and probably will next time I go up for a cubs game (again), but I don't know much about the city to even ask a semi-intelligent question.

Of course, that's never stopped me on THIS forum. :ph34r:

Wow, I'm on board and will start posting....I love Chicago, but for only 4months (Mid June-Mid October) of the year like everyone else here. Too bad I'm moving to Dallas soon....@ least I won't have anymore gray/gloomy days, but will miss R. North and Museum Park area's, Great views and THE BEST REAL ESTATE (uhhmmm except for maybe ole' gold coast).

Wow, I'm on board and will start posting....I love Chicago, but for only 4months (Mid June-Mid October) of the year like everyone else here. Too bad I'm moving to Dallas soon....@ least I won't have anymore gray/gloomy days, but will miss R. North and Museum Park area's, Great views and THE BEST REAL ESTATE (uhhmmm except for maybe ole' gold coast).

April, May, and September are the best months in Chicago. The rest of it is pretty much too hot or too cold. I know talking about heat to people living in Houston is silly, but it really is uncomfortable especailly if you've spent the last eight months freezing your nards off.

April, May, and September are the best months in Chicago. The rest of it is pretty much too hot or too cold. I know talking about heat to people living in Houston is silly, but it really is uncomfortable especailly if you've spent the last eight months freezing your nards off.

Ha, I agree. In visiting Dallas I noticed that Chicago is definitely a lot more humid than Dallas, but it's still not as humid/uncomfortable as Houston. Although a some July days when it's warm can resemble Houston in May or June. I wasn't in Chicago most of this summer, but I noticed that most days it was much warmer (heat waves??) and the opposite of the cold attempt of a summer that we had last year in 2009.

Maybe you should make a poll on CAIF about weather preference per month starting in MAY? April is still rather cold to me and I've seen many snowy Easters..lol

• 11 months later...

My first required reading for my Industrial America class was a great book about Chicago's Architectural history. It was a coincidence, since I was just studying the architectural history of the city on my own.

It's called :

THE DEVIL IN THE WHITE CITY - Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Lawson. He's also the author of Issac's Storm -1900 Galveston hurricane.

The Chicago book documented the building of the World's Columbian Exposition, 1893. Chicago's prominent architects wanted to surpass Paris, with their architectural talent. It's main architects are

Daniel Burnham, Charles McKim, John Root, Louis Sullivan, and landscape architect Frederick Law Olmstead. It describes the building of the first Ferris Wheel.

There were murder mysteries also included in the book, during the time period; one person in the story was an actual serial killer. I have to say, didn't enjoy that part very much.

I've been meaning to look the architects up, in my Chicago architectural handbook. The book's conclusion mentions the Rookery still standing, as well as one bldg. from the actual exposition. Many of the bldgs.are gone, had caught fire, but there is an island, Olmstead created his magic on, still there in some capacity.

Maybe Editor knows something about all of this, I must visit this city.

That book is ubiquitous in Chicago. It's prominently displayed in pretty much every book store, tourist gift shop, library, and other place where large numbers of people might see it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's required reading in schools there.

There are a number of books about Chicago that are quite good. The city has a surprisingly strong literary tradition from Upton Sinclair (required reading in school, even for those of us educated on the east coast) to Studs Turkell, and this is backed by the city government in every way it can. Great writers seem to come and go in waves there, with the most recent wave kind of ebbing. But there was a recent article in a magazine I ran across somewhere about the current generation being quite good.

Sadly, I'm not much of a reader anymore, but here's a Wikipedia page listing important writers from Chicago: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Writers_from_Chicago,_Illinois

As many of you know, HAIF has a sister site, Chicago Architecture Info. A couple of weeks ago I asked the members of CAI's Twitter and Facebook groups if they would be interested in a forum devoted just to Chicago's built environment, similar to what we have here at HAIF. The response was overwhelmingly positive.

So, I've created CIAF.

It would be great if all of the Chicago-minded HAIFers could pop over there and get the ball rolling with some posts. I really appreciate the help.

I've tried three days running now and all I get is server is down from this link as well as directly from their main page. Is it me, my iPad or? Thanks.

I've tried three days running now and all I get is server is down from this link as well as directly from their main page. Is it me, my iPad or? Thanks.

Thanks for showing your interest. Due to a lack of interest in 2010, I took the Chicago forum down. But if there's renewed interest in it, I'm more than happy to make it active again.

Thanks for showing your interest. Due to a lack of interest in 2010, I took the Chicago forum down. But if there's renewed interest in it, I'm more than happy to make it active again.

I joined the CAIF this year, I thought. I was asking a question or two. Wasn't much activity, but I enjoyed looking. I haven't been back.

It's strange to me how a city with so much architectural heritage doesn't want to talk about it, on-line.

I just asked my friend, at lunch, if they have a distinct accent. Don't believe I've ever recognized one. She just returned from there, says they definitely do. She took the architectural tour, said it was awesome.

OK, I feel like an idiot. I just looked and saw the date of your original post. :o

Archived