In memoriam: nmainguy

sevfiv

Hi all,

As some of you may have noticed a (long) while back, nmainguy (one of our top posters) disappeared. After a little digging I was able to confidently identify that he did indeed pass away.

I know we didn't know him in person, and I honestly have never encountered this kind of situation, but I thought it would be fitting to at least make a post in memory of him especially since today is the three (!) year anniversary of his death. I was hoping this, and from his obituary it stated that he passed away peacefully and surrounded by his family and friends October 5, 2007..

Sad to hear. I always wondered what happened to some of the posters on here that all of a sudden stop posting. I may be wrong but I just found one of his post from 2008, how is that possible if he died in 2007? Anyways, I gave him +1 out of respect because I noticed that his reputation was at a -1. RIP

Hi all,

As some of you may have noticed a (long) while back, nmainguy (one of our top posters) disappeared. After a little digging I was able to confidently identify that he did indeed pass away.

I know we didn't know him in person, and I honestly have never encountered this kind of situation, but I thought it would be fitting to at least make a post in memory of him especially since today is the three (!) year anniversary of his death. I was hoping this, and from his obituary it stated that he passed away peacefully and surrounded by his family and friends October 5, 2007..

Thanks for remembering and reminding.

While nmainguy and I never met in person (that I know of) we shared mutual friends and experiences.

He was a man of passionate beliefs. I admire his courage and have profited from having known him.

Not forgotten.

I knew he was sick, and he told me privately that the frustration with his illness was one of the reasons his posts changed dramatically over time. It's sad to lose a member of the group. I wouldn't be surprised if this happens more often than we know.

I met nmainguy once. Based on photos and descriptions, I was driving up North Main one day and saw a guy sitting on the stoop of the house I figured was his. It was him on the stoop. Good guy. It was sad to read his posts toward the end, knowing that his illness was frustrating him. I hope he is at peace now.

I met nmainguy once. Based on photos and descriptions, I was driving up North Main one day and saw a guy sitting on the stoop of the house I figured was his. It was him on the stoop. Good guy. It was sad to read his posts toward the end, knowing that his illness was frustrating him. I hope he is at peace now.

damn, that's a sad thing to hear. The last I read of him, he had been busted for posting under an alias, aftonowl or something like that. But I'm with citykid, how is it possible that his last post was in 2008, if he died in 2007? Maybe his spouse or other household member posted under his profile to make it still feel as if he was alive.

EDIT: seviv, How were you able to find this out?

A fond memory: one of his neighbors built a MacMansion and had the gall to erect a brick wall which extended beyond the property line (across the sidewalk; clear to the curb.)

He had the gumption to take on City Hall and win. Mr. MacJerk had to remove his wall from public property. Pretty good legacy.

A fond memory: one of his neighbors built a MacMansion and had the gall to erect a brick wall which extended beyond the property line (across the sidewalk; clear to the curb.)

He had the gumption to take on City Hall and win. Mr. MacJerk had to remove his wall from public property. Pretty good legacy.

That was a great thread.

Nmainguy's 'Great Wall' thread

nmainguy was a great encouragement to me during some difficult days back in late '06 early '07.

i reviewed our conversation after seeing this thread and it made me a little weepy. he really helped me out.

thanks nmainguy. i'm sorry i didn't get to say thanks in person.

I remember that. That was epic. I just re-read the entire thread. We should have a "Best of HAIF."

were all of his posts recently deleted or something? I can't view any of his last posts!

It's hard to say. There have been a couple of people over the years who have, in a fit of whatever, decided to go back and purge all of their old posts. I think only one has been fully successful. The others usually give up after a few dozen.

That said, there are a number of older posts that are missing on HAIF, caused by database corruptions and problems that have popped up during upgrades over the year.

Hi all,

I'm new but curious since he was from my old area, do you know how old he was? If he was as old as myself then it is quite possible I may have known him years ago.

54 I believe...

He would have been a youngster in 1970, however it is very possible we crossed paths or he may have known others I know or possibly been kin. In 1970 I got out of the Army and returned to the Heights after being gone for many years, all my school mates and good friends there in the Heights all got out of the Army around 2 or 3 months apart, we all picked up where we left off years before, that is until all of us got married lol

Very unfortunate to hear this about who I thought was a much needed voice on this forum. One of the few dudes on here I would wake up in the morning to follow his post when I could not pry myself away from this forum. I appreciated blunt passionate inputs like nmainguy's. News definitely changed my mood this evening and I personally didn't even know the guy. I noticed what he said his illness was without any discretion and admired how he still maintained a spirit that seeked out progress in our society. Again, I admire people that can hold on to that optimism despite being ill. Best Wishes to his family.

Wow, I am so sorry to hear this news. Like most of you, I never met him in person but I always appreciated his passion. It was clear that he loved his hometown. I know he'll be missed because I have missed his posts over the last few years. I just always assumed he decided to walk away from the HAIF on his own accord.

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

Thanks for the update Lauren, very sad, hopfully he can HAIF in the heavens still. I am honored that I have him as my buddy on my profile. He is and alway will be a keeper.

Archived