It looks like there's a dirt parking lot (with lights???) in the middle of their property. Anyone know how long that's been there or what it's for? I don't remember seeing it before.

Also, there are quite a few businesses still operating on the west side of 45 where I thought they own the property. And a lot of that area has For Sales signs up. I wonder if they own those ares too?

gallery_723_64_37067.jpg

gallery_723_64_23394.jpg

It looks like there's a dirt parking lot (with lights???) in the middle of their property. Anyone know how long that's been there or what it's for? I don't remember seeing it before.

Also, there are quite a few businesses still operating on the west side of 45 where I thought they own the property. And a lot of that area has For Sales signs up. I wonder if they own those ares too?

Use Google Earth's historical imagery to figure out when it came to be. Whenever it was put there (unless very recently), there was probably activity nearby that would provide some context.

As to your other question, use HCAD.

• Like 1

I was just saying that I also wish something like this would get built just north of downtown, that area need help. The area that this is being built in is nice enough already. Another reason I think these types of development should get built closer in is to promote growth in the city center, as opposed to massive sprawl.

This company is not in the business of helping people, saving the planet or promoting growth, other than the growth of their company. Leave those things to city planners, non-profits or philanthropists. The city has invested something in the Near North with the Metro line. That, in theory, will attract development. Putting this place adjacent to The Woodlands, since this is an imitation of that city, makes sense. It will attract a predictable demographic instead of gambling on attracting some vague gaggle of oddball pioneers. Anyway, I know you know all of this.

I agree that any hinting of mass transit options is probably disingenous. Metro doesn't even know what they'll be doing in their next phase and the true Grand Parkway is still only a proposal.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A surveying company called CL Davis & Company is an applicant for Springwoods Village ENERGY DRIVE and Reserve in last weeks planning commission agenda . Not sure exactly what thats for but the energy part seems a little coincidental, wink, wink Exxon.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some new tidbits on the building from the HBJ...

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2012/11/southwestern-energy-releases-more.html

Southwestern Energy Co. (NYSE: SWN) released details for its new corporate headquarters campus north of Houston in Springwoods Village.

HBJ reported last week that the Houston-based company is developing a 10-story office building near Exxon Mobil Corp.’s corporate campus, also under construction.

Located on 25 acres near the intersection of I-45 North and the planned Grand Parkway, the project will consolidate Southwestern's 1,000 Houston-area employees in one location.

The 500,000-square-foot building is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2014, according to a statement from Southwestern.

• Like 1

The Chronicle just ran piece on the development - naturally it's behind a paywall.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/homes/article/Community-takes-shape-in-far-north-Harris-County-4075094.php

And Nancy's blog teases a few photos from the site... most are infrastructure-related while the remainder are renderings that have already been seen here.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2012/11/images-of-the-super-secure-springwoods-village/

• Like 1

The traffic signals, while they are not on wires, don't follow The Woodlands standard. All poles in TW are painted brown to resemble trees. Commercial signs can only be so high. I hope it's not an indication of the rest of the development. The trees are an aesthetic resource of this area. I hope they at least keep a line of them between retail.

• Like 1

The traffic signals, while they are not on wires, don't follow The Woodlands standard. All poles in TW are painted brown to resemble trees. Commercial signs can only be so high. I hope it's not an indication of the rest of the development. The trees are an aesthetic resource of this area. I hope they at least keep a line of them between retail.

This isn't in The Woodlands, but instead Houston's ETJ that will probably be annexed later on.

• Like 1

It might have to do with the counties too. The Woodlands in Harris county have the same green signs and unpainted poles.

It might have to do with the counties too. The Woodlands in Harris county have the same green signs and unpainted poles.

Hmmm. Interesting. I haven't noticed this. It might just be change in The Woodlands Development Company's ownership.

I'm not a huge fan of the newer developments in Harris county.

• 4 months later...

I was skimming through some old posts and ran across this one.  

About 6-8 weeks ago I was speaking with two gentlemen with Exxon/Mobil at their new campus (not in the construction area, though) and one of them brought up this development.  We were on the topic of nature and wildlife conservation and the effort E/M put in to preservation and relocation of animal and habitat.  I asked about all that land and he said a deal was made with a developer to build homes and communities but E/M won't have anything to do with it.  So I'm guessing they made a deal and now don't have to worry about overseeing the development.

An other bit of interesting info:  One of the 'higher-ups' at E/M used to spend time with his son in the area of construction and there was a tree that marked the area they frequented.  This very large tree was transplanted to the middle of the E/M campus at a cost of over 1 mill. by the somewhat famous company out of Tomball.  It is called the "career end'r", referring to what some would speculate would happen if you did something to the tree.  It's fenced off until construction is finished, of course.

Anyway, my apologies for digging up old threads...

I was skimming through some old posts and ran across this one.  

An other bit of interesting info:  One of the 'higher-ups' at E/M used to spend time with his son in the area of construction and there was a tree that marked the area they frequented.  This very large tree was transplanted to the middle of the E/M campus at a cost of over 1 mill. by the somewhat famous company out of Tomball.  It is called the "career end'r", referring to what some would speculate would happen if you did something to the tree.  It's fenced off until construction is finished, of course.

Anyway, my apologies for digging up old threads...

With respect, that is one of the more ridiculous stories I've ever read, even for a message board.  Pretty hilarious the rumors that get going.  Mark me down as a non-believer.  ;-)

For reference here is an article about the transplant of a HUGE 100+  year-old oak tree in League City.  The move only cost $197,500.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

You're not looking close enough. The curb cuts are in place, and the sidewalk stubs are poured. However, the sidewalks along the street are not poured yet, presumably to be poured when the buildings are built.

You're right, my bad. I was kidding anyway, I didn't even expect this place to have good sidewalks lol.

Thanks for the link Urban.  Knowing the height restrictions really helps you visualize how this place will look going down 45 or the GP. 

It's amazing to watch the next energy corridor being created. 

Question for anyone:  Do you think this place could become a tourist destination?

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Urban.  Knowing the height restrictions really helps you visualize how this place will look going down 45 or the GP. 

It's amazing to watch the next energy corridor being created. 

Question for anyone:  Do you think this place could become a tourist destination?

not springwoods specifically.  as development densifies around the spring creek greenway project, outdoor activities like hiking, horseback riding, kayaking, nature walks, and more will increase between 59 and tomball along the spring creek corridor.  the woodlands already has a tourist base, but why they come other than to shop, see a concert, and walk around, i have no idea.  springwoods will have less for tourists to do than the woodlands.  springwoods' nature trails will be connected to the spring creek greenway project, as are trails that connect grogan's mill, indian springs and creekside in the woodlands.  i think the recreational space connecting tomball, the woodlands, springwoods, and neighborhoods east toward 59 will become a tourist draw.

http://www.springcreekgreenway.org/Spring%20Creek%20Greenway%20-%20Gateway%20Map%2002-2011.pdf

• Like 1

With respect, that is one of the more ridiculous stories I've ever read, even for a message board.  Pretty hilarious the rumors that get going.  Mark me down as a non-believer.  ;-)

For reference here is an article about the transplant of a HUGE 100+  year-old oak tree in League City.  The move only cost $197,500.

I suppose I should have left out the part where he tells me it cost over a million.  I don't know what the cost of transplanting a tree is and really couldn't care less, so I won't argue with you on that.  I do believe the gentleman in regards to why the tree was preserved.  And if you don't believe the tree "story" then see about getting an attended visitor pass.  Or you could get a permanent ID/Badge like I did.

• Like 1

I suppose I should have left out the part where he tells me it cost over a million.  I don't know what the cost of transplanting a tree is and really couldn't care less, so I won't argue with you on that.  I do believe the gentleman in regards to why the tree was preserved.  And if you don't believe the tree "story" then see about getting an attended visitor pass.  Or you could get a permanent ID/Badge like I did.

With respect, if you don't want to be challenged, don't post things that are ridiculous on their face.  ;-)  FWIW, the Million Dollar cost was rather central to your initial post.

Does getting a permanent ID/Badge like you did get you a confirmation that "one of the 'higher-ups' at E/M used to spend time with his son in the area of construction [and that] there was a tree that marked the area they frequented [and that] this very large tree was transplanted to the middle of the E/M campus at a cost of over 1 mill. by the somewhat famous company out of Tomball"?   If not, I won't bother obtaining the Badge; but I'll be very impressed with the fact that you have one.  ;-)

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1