^ The transplanted tree story (even without the ridiculous $1 Million price tag) sounds like a typical corporate rumor.   For the record, a tree at a building site with a fence around has not necessarily been transplanted.  It is very easy to imagine someone seeing a fenced-in tree assuming it was transplanted and off the rumor mill goes, eventually leading to the unlikely story posted above about $1 Million having been spent to transplant a tree because an executive had spent time with his son under that tree.  Perhaps one or more significant trees were even transplanted, spurring the rumor mill even more strongly.

There is indeed at least one tree on the construction site with a fence around it.  That's what you do with trees on construction sites that you want to save.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

Anyone who knows the Exxon culture would find this story hard to believe, even at a much lower transplant cost. Exxon is run like a military organization, complete with ultra-redundency in their systems, and ultra-conservatism in their policies and actions. They refuse to put their name on sports arenas because they believe it is a waste of money. It is extremely unlikely that a $1 million tree transplant would be approved at this company...at least for the reason stated in the story. Exxon is not Enron. Never was. Never will be.

Anyone who knows the Exxon culture would find this story hard to believe, even at a much lower transplant cost. Exxon is run like a military organization, complete with ultra-redundency in their systems, and ultra-conservatism in their policies and actions. They refuse to put their name on sports arenas because they believe it is a waste of money. It is extremely unlikely that a $1 million tree transplant would be approved at this company...at least for the reason stated in the story. Exxon is not Enron. Never was. Never will be.

I have hard time believing they would approve the tree transplant to begin with.  But as someone who deals with Exxon a lot, if they do decide to go forward on a project, it will most definitely cost five times as much as a smaller/leaner organization could do it.  They are known for redundancy (over engineering) and gold-plating projects.  They are very large, and projects reflect that.

• Like 1

With respect, if you don't want to be challenged, don't post things that are ridiculous on their face.  ;-)  FWIW, the Million Dollar cost was rather central to your initial post.

Does getting a permanent ID/Badge like you did get you a confirmation that "one of the 'higher-ups' at E/M used to spend time with his son in the area of construction [and that] there was a tree that marked the area they frequented [and that] this very large tree was transplanted to the middle of the E/M campus at a cost of over 1 mill. by the somewhat famous company out of Tomball"?   If not, I won't bother obtaining the Badge; but I'll be very impressed with the fact that you have one.  ;-)

Actually it was central to your post.  Mine was about a tree, a father, and a son.  And yes, getting access to the site is going to be the best way to get to the Exxon/Mobil trailers to do your fact checking.  But it is easier to sit there and say it's not true because you found an article on the internet that has nothing to do with this project.

You have no idea about their spending on this project and the ridiculous amounts of money spent that didn't need to be.

Reply if you like but I won't be visiting this site again to see it.

With Respect,

Actually it was central to your post.  Mine was about a tree, a father, and a son.  And yes, getting access to the site is going to be the best way to get to the Exxon/Mobil trailers to do your fact checking.  But it is easier to sit there and say it's not true because you found an article on the internet that has nothing to do with this project.

You have no idea about their spending on this project and the ridiculous amounts of money spent that didn't need to be.

Reply if you like but I won't be visiting this site again to see it.

With Respect,

What was that you were saying about the amount of money not being central to your post?   LOL

Buh-bye

Thanks for playing.

• Like 1

Two smaller grand parkway mobile cranes up on each side of 45 also. This is going to be a busy intersection from now on.

http://impactnews.com/houston-metro/tomball-magnolia/area-grand-parkway-construction-kicks-off-with-ground-breaki/

"Someday, people will look at the Grand Parkway as one of the greatest examples of public policy anywhere".

I'm sorry but I seriously spewed my water all over my phone screen. It's a great project but our spokes should be getting these funds, not a new ring. Although if a majority of them work in The Woodlands/Springwoods area it would be beneficial as an east/west axis. However, adding more to 290/45/59 could become a nightmare unless those freeways see MAJOR expansion in the next 5-10 years. 290 will be full by completion.

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...