Not everybody lives within 2 miles of downtown. Go back to your small town. If it was WAYYYYYY out, people wouldn't live there. Clearly you have not seen how full The Woodlands Express busses are in the morning times. Clearly you have not seen how jammed 45 is during the morning and afternoon commutes in north Harris County or south Montgomery County. If it was WAYYYY out, why is The Woodlands so prosperous? If it was WAYYYY far out, why is Montgomery County one of the fastest growing counties in the nation? Funny, nobody ever says a word about "Sugar Land" <nose in the air> or Kingwood.

Clam down wxman. I tend to agree with him. It is a little far out... and I'm unsure 45 being "jam packed" is a good thing... perhaps those drivers should be polled?

It is a little far out...

That's what Los Angeles said.

Being too far out will never deter people, so I think we should just get over suburban development. Fact of life. If it's gonna happen, it might as well be something of quality like this.

The media picks and chooses what to reveal. Here are some things I didn't notice at chron.com or swamplot.

Coventry expects to begin infrastructure work on the project during the second quarter of 2011. The process will take two years and cost $100 million.
Coventry will sell land tracts to outside developers who will construct office buildings, hotels, retail centers and residences. Roughly 90 percent of the improvements will be built by outside companies, but Coventry may chose to develop the town center in-house.

Read more: Coventry sets new master-planned development - Houston Business Journal

Not everybody lives within 2 miles of downtown. Go back to your small town. If it was WAYYYYYY out, people wouldn't live there. Clearly you have not seen how full The Woodlands Express busses are in the morning times. Clearly you have not seen how jammed 45 is during the morning and afternoon commutes in north Harris County or south Montgomery County. If it was WAYYYY out, why is The Woodlands so prosperous? If it was WAYYYY far out, why is Montgomery County one of the fastest growing counties in the nation? Funny, nobody ever says a word about "Sugar Land" <nose in the air> or Kingwood.

Calm down, man. I think it's a nice development, and I am 100% for it. I was just saying that I also wish something like this would get built just north of downtown, that area need help. The area that this is being built in is nice enough already. Another reason I think these types of development should get built closer in is to promote growth in the city center, as opposed to massive sprawl. Urban sprawl lengthens commutes. The reason 45 is so jammed in the morning is because of urban sprawl. So I will stay in my "small town" that is the 4th largest city in the US. :rolleyes:

Edited by mfastx
  • Like 1

Coventry owns the would-be XOM site.

Whether they have XOM buy-in or not, frankly, now is the time to develop it, before Spring's reputation worsens any further.

Uh, no, Coventry doesn't own the would be XOM site.

• Like 1

Where is the XOM site exactly? According to the rendering of Springwoods, there is no room for it on the west side of 45...not until you get south of what...2920?

The aerial map of Springwoods with the red outline, I think, includes the XOM site. That's why some, like Niche and swamplot, think that this development could be part of or at least next to XOM.

The XOM site has always been described as the area just west of 45/hardy.

there IS quite a bit of land immediately north of the development, between the river and the main road into springwoods, east of the holzworth extension and west of i-45. looking at a google map of the woodlands, would the holzworth extension connect with budde road or sawmill, i wonder?

Sugar Land and Kingwood are no where near as far out as The Woodlands is.

• Like 1

That's really funny considering The Woodlands straddles the county line. Ignorance is bliss....

It must be! I was verbally attacked by an aspiring child psychologist today for being overly analytical and using big words. Clearly she would know the true path to happiness, and mine isn't it.

Well if you're going to build suburbs, might as well do it right. This project looks great, and I'm happy about the parks & paths. We'll see how the bridges turn out in the end. I'm hoping they'll keep a lot of trees. Every time a new development clears those tall pines, It hurt's a little on the inside. Go Spring!

• Like 2

Well if you're going to build suburbs, might as well do it right. This project looks great, and I'm happy about the parks & paths. We'll see how the bridges turn out in the end. I'm hoping they'll keep a lot of trees. Every time a new development clears those tall pines, It hurt's a little on the inside. Go Spring!

yes!.........and the connection to the spring creek greenway project is an added bonus. http://www.springcreekgreenway.org/Spring%20Creek%20Greenway%20Gateway%20Parks%20Map%20-%20March%202009.pdf

the nature preserve at springwoods is connected to a 12000 acre preservation/recreation greenbelt between tomball and kingwood.

• Like 2

yes!.........and the connection to the spring creek greenway project is an added bonus. http://www.springcreekgreenway.org/Spring%20Creek%20Greenway%20Gateway%20Parks%20Map%20-%20March%202009.pdf

the nature preserve at springwoods is connected to a 12000 acre preservation/recreation greenbelt between tomball and kingwood.

I can't believe I didn't know about this! A few years back Meyer Park planted a ton of trees along the creek and built a nice path. I think Raveneaux should just turn the half of the golf course they let go to s*** back into a forest, plant some trees or something.

• Like 1

I think this is good news and definitely great for Spring. I'm just not that excited about this because it still creates to the Houston area's existing sprawl. I'm more interested in seeing downtown and areas inside the loop develop. Still a good looking development though! :)

• Like 1

I think this is good news and definitely great for Spring. I'm just not that excited about this because it still creates to the Houston area's existing sprawl. I'm more interested in seeing downtown and areas inside the loop develop. Still a good looking development though! :)

Agreed. I would like to see more infill, too many open fields and parking lots in the city center for my taste. :angry2:

• Like 1

Well, at least they aren't going further out. Instead, they are filling in the gaps between The Woodlands and North Houston.

• Like 1

good news. i hope this ignites a spark that eventually lead to redevelopment of the ugly stretch between downtown and Greenspoint.

That's a huge stretch.

Although, there have been some nice/new looking strip centers that have gone up lately, including Mas club, the crosstimbers shopping center and I think a HCC building that have helped that are closer to downtown/610 than they are Greenspoint.

• 1 month later...