Chuc Wagun Hamburgers

Disastro

Anybody remember the Chuck Wagon restaurant? I think it was over on Airline or somewhere near Garden Oaks. I remember my parents taking me there when I was a little kid...remember the food being good. Can anyone give some details or pictures of the joint?

Dis

Edited by Disastro

Anybody remember the Chuck Wagon restaurant? I think it was over on Airline or somewhere near Garden Oaks. I remember my parents taking me there when I was a little kid...remember the food being good. Can anyone give some details or pictures of the joint?

Dis

I remember them well....I used eat at the one on OST.

Wheel Burger, Hub Burger and Spoke Dog..........

the ones i could find in my directories were at 1132 E 11th, 7414 Long Point, 6817 Bissonnet, and 3418 Broadway in the seventies, and 5210 Kirby, 4546 OST, 117 W Crosstimbers, and 3418 Broadway in the fifties.

ooh, and they were listed as "The Chuc-Wagun" - the one on Broadway was a pupuseria when i lived over in that area

I think there was also one on Lawndale Ave.

It is directly across the street from the current Post Office, or rather slightly to the left of it. Now called Stephanies Bar. :wacko: It operated up until about 1976. I clearly recall that they would stock the soft drinks in those wooden crates and have them on the outside of the building. Thats how trusting it was around there then. Too bad we dont have pictures of the little wagon cover on top of the building.

This also reminded me of the Chuck Wagon dog food commercial. The dog gets startled to see a tiny chuck wagon parading around the kitchen. Remember? :lol: lol

marketingpic6.jpg

There was a Chuck Wagon on W. 34th st. next door to Waltrip High School, about the 1300 block. I know that it was in operation from the mid 50's until around 1968, likely longer than that.

Wheel Burgers were $.35, Hub Brurgrs were $.25 and Spokes were $.25. They had the best tater tots ever made. When you called to place an order, they answered the phone Chuck Wagon #9. The location is now an abandoned auto repair.

The only better hamburger I ever had as a kid was at Linder Lake. Now that goes back a long, long time.

There is still an old building on Broadway that has the wagon top. I'll see if I can get a pic.

that's the pupuseria - i think it is pink now...

and fluorescent green, too.

the pupusas there are okay but i like the pupuseria on telephone rd better. you know the one, sevfiv...near your old digs just down from the santa rosa theater site.

The Chuck Wagon I remember was on the South East corner of Willow Bend and South Post Oak.

Wheel Burgers, Hub Burgers and Spoke Burgers. Best chocolate malts (not shakes) in Houston. You drove up, parked, and walked up to that little window in the front to place your order. I still can't imagine McDonalds under-cutting their price by a nickel!!

There was a Chuck Wagon on W. 34th st. next door to Waltrip High School, about the 1300 block. I know that it was in operation from the mid 50's until around 1968, likely longer than that.

Wheel Burgers were $.35, Hub Brurgrs were $.25 and Spokes were $.25. They had the best tater tots ever made. When you called to place an order, they answered the phone Chuck Wagon #9. The location is now an abandoned auto repair.

The only better hamburger I ever had as a kid was at Linder Lake. Now that goes back a long, long time.

There is still an old building on Broadway that has the wagon top. I'll see if I can get a pic.

Yes, those days and the 15-cent Burger Chef burgers are part of a memorable past. I just remembered a burger place we went to when I was a kid. I was placing the order, the person asked me if I wanted that burger "all the way." I had to go to the car and ask my dad what that meant. He told me that it meant a burger with everything on it.

Someone from New Jersey told me that up there they'll ask you if you want your burger to be "dragged through the garden."

It is directly across the street from the current Post Office, or rather slightly to the left of it. Now called Stephanies Bar. :wacko: It operated up until about 1976. I clearly recall that they would stock the soft drinks in those wooden crates and have them on the outside of the building. Thats how trusting it was around there then. Too bad we dont have pictures of the little wagon cover on top of the building.

This also reminded me of the Chuck Wagon dog food commercial. The dog gets startled to see a tiny chuck wagon parading around the kitchen. Remember? :lol: lol

marketingpic6.jpg

I remember that place now. It was close to Dismuke, and Hackney.. around that area. They had the cloth awnings to park under. I remember you would walk up, place your order in the little enclosed area and you could either eat in your car or on one of those concrete tables under the awnings. Ooooh, wheel burger!! They had the best onion rings in town. Thanks for the memory.

Edited by EastEnd Susan

I remember that place now. It was close to Dismuke, and Hackney.. around that area. They had the cloth awnings to park under. I remember you would walk up, place your order in the little enclosed area and you could either eat in your car or on one of those concrete tables under the awnings. Ooooh, wheel burger!! They had the best onion rings in town. Thanks for the memory.

How can I ever forget that one? We were throwing rocks at windows at the big old abandoned house across the street. Some car pulled up out of nowhere and we all ran in different directions. Of course I was crazy enough to follow my friend across the street to Chuck Wagon cut across and kept running. One of the kids (got caught) parents snitched to mom and we all eventually got busted big time.

Another great way to never forget that specific Chuck Wagon. I was grounded for weeks and it hurts just thinking about the whippings! :lol:

Someone from New Jersey told me that up there they'll ask you if you want your burger to be "dragged through the garden."

If you didn't specifically ask for it, your burger would arrive as a pattie in a bun with catsup. Yum! There didn't have malts, but they did have frappes. I was always afraid to order it. River Oaks Drugstore in front of Lamar and St. Johns had the best fountain drinks. White Oak Pharmacy in the Heights was a very close second. Brittains' Broil-a-burger anyone?

Edited by jwphillips2

marketingpic6.jpg

Haha - I'm glad you brought that up. My sister cried one time because she thought our parents were taking her to eat dog food.

the original Bellaire area Chuck Wagon was on Bellaire Blvd a couple of blocks west of Chimney Rock. around 1965 that location closed (maybe to make way for Vance & Sons Auto dealership expansion) and opened the larger one at 6817 Bissonnet (currently El Pupusadromo #2).

the post-football/basketball practice order: Wheel with cheese (or a Spoke with chili), onion rings, and a giant tub o'Coke. then head home in time for dinner.

in 1982 I drove into Abilene and saw a Chuck Wagon still in operation. you can guess where I had dinner that night, and lunch the next day.

You are right! They all had those funny names. Eastend Susan was right too, the one on Lawndale had an enclosed little area surrounded by glass and a rail you could lean on? Lady would take your order and I think they called your number. This one had those outdoor concrete table/benches with inbedded colored chips of tile inlaid.

We kids always wanted to climb on top of the building and get inside the wagon. Like when Beaver Cleaver got stuck in that billboard of the coffee cup with steam.lol :lol:

I used to work @Chuc Wagun on Bissonnet back in 72-73 for the one & thank God only Richard Warren (yep--remember his name after all these years...some restaurant mangaers will do that to you) for the whopping amount of $1 an hour---wow! and no 401K's back then! But I did like the food & the neon sign out front was really cool

Edited by Sharpstown Bill

I used to work @Chuc Wagun on Bissonnet back in 72-73 for the one & thank God only Richard Warren (yep--remember his name after all these years...some restaurant mangaers will do that to you) for the whopping amount of $1 an hour---wow! and no 401K's back then! But I did like the food & the neon sign out front was really cool

Wow! Now that's a first, to find someone that actually worked there. I can only imagine how "uncluttered" or un-crowded Bissonnet was around that time. :mellow:

Edited by Vertigo58

Chuck Wagon Alumni Representing!

I worked there back in '76. The same Richard Warren was there. This was my first real job. I had the glamorous task of mopping, taking out the trash, etc. for about $1.50 per hour. Couldn't work in the grill or behind the counter. This was back when a 12-year-old could actually get some semblance of work and, of course, minimum wage rules didn't apply. As I recall, Baskin-Robbins was paying 1.25/hour at the time for 14 year olds.

On a side trip, the Kroger across the street had a deal where coupons were given out for carts that were returned from the lot. There were little books we could fill up. Fifty coupons could be exchanged for one dollar and this was another job of sorts I had to make spending money at that age.

Bissonnet was fairly built up in that area by that time.

• Thanks 1

I worked there back in '76. The same Richard Warren was there. This was my first real job. I had the glamorous task of mopping, taking out the trash, etc. for about $1.50 per hour. Couldn't work in the grill or behind the counter. This was back when a 12-year-old could actually get some semblance of work and, of course, minimum wage rules didn't apply. As I recall, Baskin-Robbins was paying 1.25/hour at the time for 14 year olds.

On a side trip, the Kroger across the street had a deal where coupons were given out for carts that were returned from the lot. There were little books we could fill up. Fifty coupons could be exchanged for one dollar and this was another job of sorts I had to make spending money at that age.

That must have been the one I went to sometimes.. I knew I'd been to a chuckwagon,

but I totally forgot where it was.. :/ I just generally remember it being semi near

the Southwest freeway for some reason, so that was probably it I guess..

We went to it when I was working one of my first jobs.. Soliciting for the Houston Post..

We'd all go to chuckwagon before we hit the streets after school.

Needless to say, I didn't last too long at that job. I hate sales... Not to mention

I hated knocking on peoples doors and bugging them, etc.. And most already

took it, or didn't want it.. I was probably lucky to clear enough to pay for going

to chuckwagon before starting work.. :( I'm fairly sure I was still in jr high at

that time. Maybe 9th grade or so..

MK

the ones i could find in my directories were at 1132 E 11th, 7414 Long Point, 6817 Bissonnet, and 3418 Broadway in the seventies, and 5210 Kirby, 4546 OST, 117 W Crosstimbers, and 3418 Broadway in the fifties.

ooh, and they were listed as "The Chuc-Wagun" - the one on Broadway was a pupuseria when i lived over in that area

The one on Crosstimbers...that's the one I remember! :)

For some reason I remember there being a Chuck Wagon in front of the Dillard's there at the Galleria. It is now a "420 Head Shop" or "Zone D' Erotica". but before it was a Roy Roger's restaurant and before that I feel certain that it was a Chuck Wagon in the 70's.

Edited by TJones

For some reason I remember there being a Chuck Wagon in front of the Dillard's there at the Galleria. It is now a "420 Head Shop" or "Zone D' Erotica". but before it was a Roy Roger's restaurant and before that I feel certain that it was a Chuck Wagon in the 70's.

It was Larry's Hamburgers for a while...during the early 90's...

I remember it was Roy Rogers first...that's what the restaurant was built as.

You & I must've had the same job because that fit my descripition as well!!!

It was Larry's Hamburgers for a while...during the early 90's...

I remember it was Roy Rogers first...that's what the restaurant was built as.

Wasn't Roy Rogers restaurant kind of popular for a while?

and I wonder if the real actor gave his ok to use his name? I understand you just cant grab a famous name and use it without consent, etc. :mellow:

Wasn't Roy Rogers restaurant kind of popular for a while?

and I wonder if the real actor gave his ok to use his name? I understand you just cant grab a famous name and use it without consent, etc. :mellow:

I remember a Roy Rogers by Gulfgate Mall close to Woodridge.