Thoughts On Eastwood

Hartmann

Hi everyone!

My wife and I are looking to move out of the Heights and Eastwood is one of the areas we are interested in. If you live in or around Eastwood, what are your thoughts on the area?

We've driven around a bit and it seems that it really varies street to street. Is street flooding a problem? What about getting on the freeways around 6:30am?

Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated!

You're right that Eastwood doesn't have the uniformly 'good' blocks like the Heights, of course prices in the east end reflect

that. I've noticed more people doing improvements lately and it seems like more of the eyesores are being addressed.

The only impassable street floodding I've noticed is around Leeland and Ernestine by Cage elementary.

I'm sure there are a few other trouble spots. Like anywhere, the nuisance factor just sort of depends on your individual neighbors. We have a

10-unit apt complex across the street and have only had to call the cops once in the past few months because of noise late at

night. A new owner bought the 4 plex behind us (he lives in it)and has already helpd to clean up the hood by getting rid of the

teenage baby mama tenent and her drug dealer boyfriend. Precinct 6 constables are generally very good about responding to

nuisance calls, and HPD is visible about patrols.

I drive past Cage elementary to get on 45 at 7 each morning with no issues. There tend to be a lot of accidents betweeen Cullen and 45/59 interchange due to lane changers and highly variable speeds. You'll have to learn how to maneuver around the train crossings but it can be done primarily by using Scott St as your 1-45 access point into and out of area. Beware the Telephone rd crossing, especially

on weekends, as they often come ot a full stop and just sit for a half hour or more. Grrr.

Are you looking at any places in particular? I live on Walker at Eddington and am most familiar with the area bounded by Polk,

Eastwood, Rusk and Dumble. We've got a really big stray cat population but are putting a dent in it by organizing

frequent free trap/neuter/release days with SNAP and the city. Unlike some parts of town, we have the large recylce bins, and

have heavy trash pick up every month, which is nice.

I live in Broadmoor and have been here for 2 years. Elliott street specifically, and it is great. Very friendly neighbors, houses are cheaper than Eastwood proper, but Eastwood proper is a bit closer to downtown, so it is to be expected.

Leeland/Telephone for getting to and from 45 is a breeze, unless, as Crunch mentions, there's a train, but there's lots of access to 45 no matter what side of the tracks you are on. Broadmoor is great cause there's an entrance to the neighborhood directly from the feeder, and it's about 10 seconds from the feeder to my garage, and then about 30 seconds from my garage down Telephone to the feeder, and you only have to sit at the light at Telephone/45.

Lots of great older houses to choose from, regardless of whether you want to fix, or just move in.

Great access for cycling on Leeland as it is very underutilized as a street, and you can get to the rails to trails path and get in to town easily by bicycle.

At least around me, there's lots of UH students who enjoyed the area as students and are deciding to put down roots in the area.

As Crunch also mentions there are a fair number of renters who don't care, as they are in a place for a month or two before moving on, and HPD and other patrols are johnny on the spot.

There's a Kroger at Cullen/Polk, but I've only been in it once and decided not to return, there's a Randalls in Midtown that isn't that far, and a HEB at gulfgate that's about the same distance, it has more options, but it's always extremely busy. The Kroger is affectionately known to UH students as The Kombat Kroger, or Battle Kroger. I have a feeling it will be a better place to shop in a few years, and that there will be more options for us within a similar time-frame.

Oh yeah, and as Crunch mentions, stray cats/dogs are a large population. One of my neighbors keeps throwing out a statistic that our zip code has the highest population of stray animals in Harris. Strays aren't really nuisances for me though, just keep them out from under your house so the fleas don't get in your house.

Edit: I haven't seen Vertigo58 post on here in a long time, but Vertigo has lived in the area for a very long time, and had some really great experiences to share.

At least around me, there's lots of UH students who enjoyed the area as students and are deciding to put down roots in the area.

As Crunch also mentions there are a fair number of renters who don't care, as they are in a place for a month or two before moving on

I guess I'm one of those. I've owned here in some form or fashion for about four years, but have only lived in the area (renting w/roommates) for a year. There really is a big student population, and each summer and December, as that population turns over, you see all the 'For Rent' signs come out in large number.

To that end, it is a fairly transient population. But most of my neighbors (student or non-student) that live in multi-family arrangements do seem to stay longer than just a few months at a time.

Where street flooding is concerned, I really haven't had any problems at all. The only thing that gets annoying about a big storm is that the toads come out afterward and get run over by cars (or stepped on by pedestrians in the dark of night). Eastwood is actually very well drained as neighborhoods in Houston go. It's also pretty high in elevation and is well out of any floodplains. Just be aware of the I-45 feeder road underpass beneath the freight rail tracks; the sumps are inadequate to handle a heavy downpour and there have been several drownings there.

The stray cats are awesome. I like them. I was even attacked by two orange kittens as I walked past their overgrown hiding spot one night not long ago. They latched onto my shins and wouldn't let go until I paid them attention.

The stray cats are awesome. I like them. I was even attacked by two orange kittens as I walked past their overgrown hiding spot one night not long ago. They latched onto my shins and wouldn't let go until I paid them attention.

Pit cats.

Thanks everyone for the opinions and information on the area! To be specific, we are looking at the area Harrisburg and 45 from Scott to S. Wayside.

I'm guessing crime is pretty much the same stuff as in the Heights, the occasional burglary, car break-ins, etc.? My main concern would be my wife's safety if she's out running or walking in the neighborhood.

The stray cat problem doesn't really bother me, we have a dog, I'm sure she'll keep them out of the yard (or they'll become friends and we'll have a gang of cats herded by my dog). The grocery stores are not too much of a problem. I'm guessing as more people move to the area one of the grocers will decide to build closer.

We figure the area has better prices for slightly larger houses and we can still be close to downtown and the things we like. My wife works on the far west side so her commute will be a little longer, but she leaves so early I don't think it will be a big deal.

Thanks again for all of info! I'll be sure and post if I think of any other questions!

Thanks everyone for the opinions and information on the area! To be specific, we are looking at the area Harrisburg and 45 from Scott to S. Wayside.

I'm guessing crime is pretty much the same stuff as in the Heights, the occasional burglary, car break-ins, etc.? My main concern would be my wife's safety if she's out running or walking in the neighborhood.

The stray cat problem doesn't really bother me, we have a dog, I'm sure she'll keep them out of the yard (or they'll become friends and we'll have a gang of cats herded by my dog). The grocery stores are not too much of a problem. I'm guessing as more people move to the area one of the grocers will decide to build closer.

We figure the area has better prices for slightly larger houses and we can still be close to downtown and the things we like. My wife works on the far west side so her commute will be a little longer, but she leaves so early I don't think it will be a big deal.

Thanks again for all of info! I'll be sure and post if I think of any other questions!

If the concern is safety, I think that Eastwood or Idylwood best fits the bill. There are burglaries every now and then, but little old ladies are out walking every afternoon without fear.

/grinning/ Didn't know there was a Harrisburg Country Club bar.....should we check that out? Course, my husband is more the old time ice house type.

But, Country Club Place is easy to find, the big main entry is across Lawndale from the Villa de Matel convent. And behind Dinner Bell Cafeteria which is on the corner of Lawndale and Wayside feeder. They have a web site as does Idylwood. Both those neighborhoods are relatively small.

The golf course is actually across Wayside from Country Club. It's now Gus Wortham Golf Course.

I believe "Houston Country Club Place" is the full name of the subdivision you all speak of.

I've always throught of the subdivisions around there as special.

Idylwood and Forest Hill are nice, as well. The Villa De Matel, bayous, cemetery, and golf course are close by.

I'm sure you may already know that 45 around downtown is very congested in both the morning and evening rush. Mornings will be easier to deal with than afternoon, and honestly, if you take I-10 to 59 to 45, rather than I-10 to 45, to me at least, it always feels like I save some time going that way.

Country Club is a great area, Idylwood is amazing, but prices are probably equivalent to Heights, or a tad lower.

That's about right for crime in the area, my house was broken into while I was home (see thread broadmoor break-in) at the beginning of the year, called 911 and 3 patrol units were at my doorstep in less than a minute of giving my address. Neighbors were shocked that there was a break-in. I was shocked that the response was that quick, I remember my parents house was broken into when I was there and it took them over 15 minutes to respond. heh, I remember hanging up with 911, then I called them back and was like, look, it's been like 5 minutes, someone is seriously already in, or trying to breakin, and I don't want to have to go all barry bonds with this baseball bat (I whispered as I was hunkered down in my closet), and they still took 10 minutes to show, but I stayed on the phone so the operator could listen to me bleed to death if the perp found me. heh, different story though.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that crime rates are about the same as you describe, my experience with the police in the area is exemplary. they get an A+.

Where exactly is "Country Club"?

Houston Country Club Place is nice, but backs up to some pretty nasty apartments. They're visually separated from the neighborhood, but their effects are not. That's why I would prefer Forest Hill, hands down. The only sizable apartment complex right there off of Lawndale is quaint, well-managed, and has fairly low turnover. ...and after all, dead people make excellent neighbors.

I'd stay away from Sunnyland... I think its still one of the more shady areas in the East End.

Sunnyland is to the East End what Brookesmith is to the Heights - a less popular neighborhood surrounded by nice greenspace and more desirable neighborhoods.

Like Brookesmith, Sunnyland also borders a freeway. Most of the houses in Sunnyland are smaller than those found in the immediately adjacent neighborhoods, and many of the houses are rentals with short-term tenants and occupancy levels much higher that those for which they were originally built. All of these factors help contribute to visual blight that continues to hold the neighborhood back.

That said, there are a few cute houses back in there. The nicest houses are in the Plaza Place section bordered by Lawndale, Dismuke, Hackney, and Bonsrell.

If you are interested in renting in the east end before deciding to buy, there are the fourplexes along Lawndale directly across from the golf course. I believe most are one bedroom and the conditions will vary depending on the owner.

We had a family friend who lived in one for about 3 years while attending UH and he was quite pleased with the place.

If you are interested in renting in the east end before deciding to buy, there are the fourplexes along Lawndale directly across from the golf course. I believe most are one bedroom and the conditions will vary depending on the owner.

We had a family friend who lived in one for about 3 years while attending UH and he was quite pleased with the place.

Yep, I worked with a woman who lived in one for about that long, also while attending UH. She was quite proud of her neighborhood and was the person that introduced me to the East End.

Can't believe I missed this post! Oh well, we have a new baby and he takes all of our time, LOL.

I have owned in Idylwood and now own in Eastwood (a house that was in bad shape when we bought it and is now one of the best on the block), in the section between bounded by Leeland, Sidney, Coyle, and Ernestine. It's the oft forgetten about section of Eastwood because the homes are from the 30's and 40's, as opposed to the craftsman style that Eastwood is known for. Crime hasn't been an issue *at all*, unless you own a Dodge Ram pickup--those seem to be popular with thieves. We have really enjoyed our three years here, and have some terrific neighbors. I think my street is mostly single-family, but there are enough duplexes and garage apartments to keep things feeling more like an old city with diverse housing stock than an "urban suburb" like Idylwood. Deed restrictions are also tougher in Idylwood than Eastwood, though I think both are stronger than the Heights, if that makes a difference.

There is a triplex on Pease, in the same block at state rep Rick Noriega's house, that I think would make a terrific single family home. It's priced very low price/sq ft, which means lots of value once the reno is complete. A good friend of mine is selling her Idylwood house due to a job transfer, so that's an option if you are looking for something already done.

Good luck!

I'm a renter in Dissen Heights... specifically right around Jackson Middle School. My area is a more transitional than Eastwood proper, but I still like it a lot. Eastwood and the Heights were built as companion neighborhoods, it's just that the Heights got a 20-year head start on the rehab process and East End is just starting. Biking is great here, very easy and SAFE access to downtown, the Med Center/ TSU (via Columbia Tap), UofH and Midtown. The East End also has some eclectic places like Bohemeo's and Mandola's that give it an improving cosmopolitan feel. I suggest you check out Eastwood proper, Woodleigh and Broadmoor.

...speaking of Mandola's.

Heavy equipment is on site. They're moving dirt. The TABC must've greenlit their project!

They approved it ages ago, but progress has just been super-slow. I still wish they could put the patio between the deli and whatever that historic building is next to it, but they apparently the parking requirements are forcing them to locate it on the "loud" side of the building. With all that street parking on Leeland, it is a shame!

They approved it ages ago, but progress has just been super-slow. I still wish they could put the patio between the deli and whatever that historic building is next to it, but they apparently the parking requirements are forcing them to locate it on the "loud" side of the building. With all that street parking on Leeland, it is a shame!

I live in Broadmoor. Bought last year and enjoying it so far. My street is very quiet. Neighbors walk their dogs in the evening. Constable Trevino lives here, so HPD response time is short. I see home improvements going on frequently around the neighborhood. No flood problem on my street. The EEMD Improvement Plan, already underway, will make it a more desirable place to live. I have no problem getting on or off 45 whichever direction I'm traveling from. A hidden gem IMHO.

*Spell check

• 3 months later...

I'd stay away from Sunnyland... I think its still one of the more shady areas in the East End.

Have had property in various areas of East End & one in Sunnylan since 1985. Have had NO vandilism, even when property was vacant for weeks at a time. Many misconceptions about this area It's one of the most convenient residential locations inside the loop. I've had lived/had property in East End for 50 yrs. due to health have moved near family, & will have to sell at some point in near future. Where is Sunnylan long time resident Vertigo58? Miss his comments. I have deeds of a former property going back to development of Eastwood. Guess I should try to see if present owner is interested. Have few deeds for Sunnylan property also.

• The title was changed to Thoughts On Eastwood?
  • The title was changed to Thoughts On Eastwood

Archived