Mickey Leland Federal Building At 1919 Smith St.

lockmat

It is occupied while the reskin is going on.  The interim lobby/security area has all the charm of Penn Station; however, the new elevator cabs look sharp.

BTW, I'm as perplexed as the next guy as to why it's taking so long to finish, but I have to point out to the gummint haters that the work is being performed by private contractors.  I wouldn't be surprised if the new lobby area being added on had a couple of unforeseen issues to work through, and/or the sawtooth corner wasn't going together correctly, since those seem to be the general neighborhood of the delay.  IIRC one of the reasons for the reskin was the original wall system leaked, and I can see both of those being potentially problematic details.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The amount of workers has increased 10 fold VERSUS three-four weeks ago. Looks like they are heading for the finish line!!!!!!!

The must have something worked out. This thing had been progressing like there was one lonely dude trying to finish it by himself.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Infinitejim, pardon my nosiness but what building are you taking pictures from? I like the different perspective your shots give us. It's like we're hovering over Pierce Elevated. I certainly hope you'll continue posting these as Central makeover marches on.

Are the finally completed with Mickey Leland now? It looks pretty well complete in the night shot, but this one took awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

Are they doing internal remodeling as well as the new shell?

Yes.  

This building ended up in the Federales' hands via foreclosure during the 80s bust.  Not only was the building itself never a paragon of structural integrity, the original lobby layout was really, really poorly suited to current concepts of secured access.

Yes.  

This building ended up in the Federales' hands via foreclosure during the 80s bust.  Not only was the building itself never a paragon of structural integrity, the original lobby layout was really, really poorly suited to current concepts of secured access.

Interesting. So they basically gutted the tower and replaced everything? Are there any renders of the interior?

I wouldn't say that they gutted the office floors - I just don't know about them for sure, but what I've seen looks pretty much as-was except for carpet, etc.; I imagine there was some partition moving and the like.

The lobby and ground floor level, however, is getting pretty much a complete makeover.

• Like 1

It's taken a silly long time (I speculate because of significantly different site conditions than expected, which slow things down anyway, followed perhaps by hitting a reset button on the contracting process), but it is a huge improvement over the original skin.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's taken a silly long time (I speculate because of significantly different site conditions than expected, which slow things down anyway, followed perhaps by hitting a reset button on the contracting process), but it is a huge improvement over the original skin.

Well it's also taken a long time because it's a project bring done by the government. Those always take a long time.