Mad About Mod Tour

sevfiv

Neat event in conjunction with the 4th Annual DOCOMOMO US Tour Day (yay - I haven't seen DOCOMOMO mentioned much here).

http://www.houstonmod.org/news.asp#46

Join Houston Mod for a celebration of mid-century modern architecture on October 9th. For the first time, Houston will be participating in a national tour day.

We will feature tours of the interiors and exteriors of six homes in Glenbrook Valley, plus a driving tour of notable nearby architecture in SE Houston. Glenbrook Valley has met the criteria to become the first post-war historic district in Houston and Texas.

Celebrate the modern movement by attending the tour and becoming a member of Houston Mod, Houston’s modern architecture and design preservation advocacy group.

Tickets for the tour are $15.00 per person, $10.00 for Houston Mod members.

Join Houston Mod and get one free tour ticket for $35.00 individual membership, two tickets with $50 family membership.

A list of all tour sites (6 houses confirmed, other sites to be added) will be distributed on your final admission ticket.

Your ticket includes admission to a SPECIAL RECEPTION at the last tour stop where you will have the opportunity to mingle with special guests including original architects, local historians and neighborhood leaders.

• 3 weeks later...

The tour is today!

We hope you all have registered early. There will be a very limited number of tickets available at the church from 12:45-1:30. If any remain, they will be available at the information table on Colgate until 2:30. We expect at least 250 people for the tour. That certainly shows people are interested in modern design and the proposed Glenbrook Valley historic district.

If you can carpool it will be appreciated. The response to this event has been so overwhelming we will now have all the houses open from 1:30-4:00PM. The party still follows until 5PM. A ticket is required for admission to each house. Uniformed HPD officers will be directing traffic and ensuring safety.

Two of the original Glenbrook Valley architects and one builder are scheduled to attend. Check the Houston Mod website for more details. We hope to see you there!

It was a great turnout - a personal thanks to all that opened their homes (and church!). Here are a few snapshots:

colgate8210_100910_001.jpg

colgate8206_100910_001.jpg

santaelena7834_100910_001.jpg

santaelena7843_100910_002.jpg

church_100910_008.jpg

church_100910_009.jpg

church_100910_005.jpg

And on the list for the self-guided, a Jack in the Box in the original design ("building as billboard" and "a machine for dispensing food") by a googie-era architect from California:

bellfort6901_100910_002.jpg

more:

http://www.arch-ive.org/madaboutmod.php

Incredible event!

I didn't have a lot to do with the planning or execution of the event as work has been hectic and free time has been fleeting lately, but I went on the tour and was blown away by what all the volunteers and homeowners did. I had seen two of the Colgate houses before, and they have been restored and renovated so well. The vintage cars were such a great touch too. The Santa Elena houses were also above and beyond what I expected.

Thanks to everyone who went to the event and supports Houston Mod. It's been an amazing last couple of years for us and we're going to keep working at showing Houston what beauty lies in our modern architectural past.

Jason

Archived