Retail Center At 550 Heights Blvd.

segovia

Just wanted to rave a little about McCain's for anyone who hasn't been in yet. :)

Their selection isn't the greatest, but the prices are amazing. Buddy's Organic chicken is less per lb than CM (which is, in turn, less than Kroger or Randall's). Also, a girlfriend of mine called and ordered a pound of fresh shrimp from them last week. They peeled and deveined it for her and it was still less than the frozen bag shrimp at Kroger. It was even less than Airline.

In this thread, we talked about shopping there for convenience even if it was more expensive. Well, seems like even those who may not want to pay for the shorter drive will have a reason to stop by McCain's.

I also bought some nice balsamic and some cheese there. I do wish they would expend their cheese selection and get some fresh veggies in!

There has been some really good suggestions for McCains on this forum. I think I'll drop buy and leave them with this web address. I'm sure they would appreciate the constructive criticism and the fact that so many want them to succeed.

I'd like for McCain's to open some sort of deli/sandwich bar ala Eatzi's or Spec's or even Brown Bag Deli. They've got all the meat and most fixins already there - would seem to be an easy "upgrade". Since they already sell coffee and pre-made sandwiches, I wouldn't think they would be subject to that many additional regulations.

If they could provide a high-end sandwich for $5, I'd stop there 3 nights a week. Minimum.

Their pre-made sandwiches in the fridge are a little pricey for what you get and lack that "fresh" taste (I believe they are simply reselling someone else's prepared food?).

I'd really like to see the place make it and become a neighborhood fixture; however, I'm a bit concerned about their ability to sustain purely on selling gourmet cheeses and sauces and the like.

Edited by cwrm4

There has been some really good suggestions for McCains on this forum. I think I'll drop buy and leave them with this web address. I'm sure they would appreciate the constructive criticism and the fact that so many want them to succeed.

I think that is a great idea!

I want to like the place, I really do, but Nundini has pretty much everything this place has. The only reason I find myself going there is for a prasek fix. Other than that the place seems kinda barren. Great idea though, but would love to see them go for more of a Texas Chezk-German feel.

• 2 years later...

Stopped by McCain's on Heights today and its closed... the sign on the door says "due to market conditions... closed until further notice". Anyone know if they are out of business or restructuring? Can this neighborhood (south of 11th) only support a run-down Kroger?

Stopped by McCain's on Heights today and its closed... the sign on the door says "due to market conditions... closed until further notice". Anyone know if they are out of business or restructuring? Can this neighborhood (south of 11th) only support a run-down Kroger?

It is their own fault. You can get most of what they sell somewhere else much cheaper. I went in there once a month or so just to support the neighborhood. Had they not been so greedy, I would have gone in once or twice a week. It is not a matter of affording it, it is about getting hosed for the sake of perceived status.

I only went there one time, just to check it out. I didn't see anything really unique offered, but I could have missed something. I would think that if you're going to try to open a small market you have to do something really well or offer things you can't get elsewhere, because you're not going to get by on volume sales.

EDIT: I didn't mean to criticize so much as ask the question: do they offer anything unique?

Edited by 20thStDad

Oh, that's a shame...

But I'm not that surprised, either - it didn't seem to be getting a lot of business. There were a number of things I liked about the place - and everyone I dealt with connected with the store was always very friendly and seemed eager to please. But it was difficult to do shopping for an entire meal there, and I didn't notice anything worth a special trip. I heard they made good sandwiches, and had a good meat and fish selection - but never remembered to check for myself.

No suprise. I kinda got the impression it was a vanity project for the owners. I'm surprised it lasted this long.

The problem was that that had nothing to drive regular traffic to the store. I could never understand why they wouldn't offer reasonably priced sandwiches, especially since they already had most of the fixings there. As it was, they wanted something like $9 or $10 for a ham sandwich, and you had to wait 15 minutes to get it.

If they had had cheap sandwiches, I would have gone there regularly, and most likely would have made impulse purchases of the high margin items (sauces etc) while waiting. I told the owner that once, and he said their goal wasn't to be a "sandwich shop".

I only went there one time, just to check it out. I didn't see anything really unique offered, but I could have missed something. I would think that if you're going to try to open a small market you have to do something really well or offer things you can't get elsewhere, because you're not going to get by on volume sales.

EDIT: I didn't mean to criticize so much as ask the question: do they offer anything unique?

I only went in once or twice. The only things I remember being somewhat unique were Texas venison (which, I know, is not that unique if you hunt or, like me, schmooze people who hunt), and, if I remember correctly, some local, hothouse produce.

The local concept for food has been a big thing of late. However, McCain's positioning in this realm made them just a fancier, more expensive version of a farmers market, of which Houston now has plenty.

I do feel bad for its failure. My only surprise at the closing is that it has taken this long.

I only went in once or twice. The only things I remember being somewhat unique were Texas venison (which, I know, is not that unique if you hunt or, like me, schmooze people who hunt), and, if I remember correctly, some local, hothouse produce.

The local concept for food has been a big thing of late. However, McCain's positioning in this realm made them just a fancier, more expensive version of a farmers market, of which Houston now has plenty.

I do feel bad for its failure. My only surprise at the closing is that it has taken this long.

The Heights will support stores like this if they have something different to offer and their prices are not outrageous. They can be higher than the grocery store - just not over the top. A good example is Penzey's Spices on 19th. I went by there on Sunday at 12:30 PM and it was packed. If you have not been there, do yourself a favor and go.

Bummer...I was hoping it would take off but it had a lot of short-comings as mentioned by other folks. I stopped by several times...tried the sandwiches and coffee (good but pricey). I do remember and appreciate them opening immediately after Hurricane Ike and making an effort to provide hot coffee and food.

I know the sign said "get fresh... go local" or something similar - but I honestly never picked up on the local foods emphasis. Could have just been me being oblivious, but I don't remember signs around the store touting the local source of various foods or anything like that. I think I might have made a special trip more frequently, if I'd realized.

That's a shame.. I wasn't really sure what market they were going for however.. Sandwiches, coffee, nick nacks, and meats and fish.. hmm..

Went there once for coffee.. was decent enough.. Went back another time to check out the meats.. WOW that was expensive.. we were entertaining for 6, and it would have been cheaper to head to Taste of Texas than buying and cooking at home..

That's a shame.. I wasn't really sure what market they were going for however.. Sandwiches, coffee, nick nacks, and meats and fish.. hmm..

Went there once for coffee.. was decent enough.. Went back another time to check out the meats.. WOW that was expensive.. we were entertaining for 6, and it would have been cheaper to head to Taste of Texas than buying and cooking at home..

We have a saying in the tax business that applies: Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

I know the sign said "get fresh... go local" or something similar - but I honestly never picked up on the local foods emphasis. Could have just been me being oblivious, but I don't remember signs around the store touting the local source of various foods or anything like that. I think I might have made a special trip more frequently, if I'd realized.

As I said, I could only rember those couple things, and it's been about 2 years since I've been in there. I also remember they had a lot of jarred items on the far wall, too - chutneys and the like. I can't remember if those were local or not.

... Penzey's Spices on 19th. I went by there on Sunday at 12:30 PM and it was packed. If you have not been there, do yourself a favor and go.

Mrs. P. and I are Penzey's addicts. We go by, at least, monthly. It's a great olfaction shopping experience and the spices are really fresh.

As I said, I could only rember those couple things, and it's been about 2 years since I've been in there. I also remember they had a lot of jarred items on the far wall, too - chutneys and the like. I can't remember if those were local or not.

I went in to get mango chutney. They had an 8 0Z jar for about $12.99. I ended up getting a 9.5 OZ jar, from Hawaii, for $9.00, including shipping. Their pricing did not take the internet into account.

Mrs. P. and I are Penzey's addicts. We go by, at least, monthly. It's a great olfaction shopping experience and the spices are really fresh.

That smell when you walk into Penzey's is great. I'm hoping to try the Lone Star Culinary Spice Market near the Airline Farmer's Market soon. I've heard it's pretty good. I think it used to be Yerberia something - but maybe I have it confused with another spice place in the area.

I was surprised to see them last as long as they did, and I am sorry that things did not work out for them. The owners were really nice. However, that location absolutely begged for a hip little grocery (see below), and they did not quite get it there. I'll concede that if that location does not allow beer/wine sales, that is a huge problem. That aside . . .

Instructions for opening up a proper "hip little grocery":

Go to Austin and drive to South Congress. Go to this place (http://www.fm1718.com/) and copy everything about it - it is the bomb, good vibe, usually cool music in the background, wide selection of produce, cheese, crackers, breads, meat, fish, beer, wine -- all packed into a space about 1/5 the size of McCain's. Open for at least 5 years by now.

Someone please do this. I would do it but am trapped in an office all day long.

i stopped in to McCain's pretty regularly. I believe in paying a little more to support locally owned businesses. No small business has prices that compete with big chains (and I adore Penzey's but it is a national chain, not a local business). their Buddy's organic chicken was actually less than you could get it for at Kroger. additionally, you would special order anything through them and they would go the extra mile- order racks of ribs and they would trim them for you; order lbs of shrimp and they would peel/devein them for you.

however, i couldn't make it work as often as i wanted. you could never get an entire meal there as someone else pointed out. it could never be a one stop shop on my way home. if the cupboards were bare, i still had to go to kroger/fiesta after a trip to mccains for my protein and usually a good sauce. i think that was their real downfall.

they started out with all kinds of cool oils, vinegars, marinades. my guess was that they didn't sell and the shop tried other things. they just never tried enough. i think they woud have done a lot, lot better with more prepared foods or lunches/breakfast. i mean, they had tables, chairs and a coffee bar but there is a reason Antidote has done so much better...

i am sad to see them go. there was soooo much potential. maybe they'll read these comments and figure it out and revamp/reorg... it would be cool if the farmers market could move from OC to McCains and get more attention--- and they could get back to the idea of local...

I was surprised to see them last as long as they did, and I am sorry that things did not work out for them. The owners were really nice. However, that location absolutely begged for a hip little grocery (see below), and they did not quite get it there. I'll concede that if that location does not allow beer/wine sales, that is a huge problem. That aside . . .

Instructions for opening up a proper "hip little grocery":

Go to Austin and drive to South Congress. Go to this place (http://www.fm1718.com/) and copy everything about it - it is the bomb, good vibe, usually cool music in the background, wide selection of produce, cheese, crackers, breads, meat, fish, beer, wine -- all packed into a space about 1/5 the size of McCain's. Open for at least 5 years by now.

Someone please do this. I would do it but am trapped in an office all day long.

a.) austin is not the epicenter of cool

b.) i often wished that mccain's could have wine, but they can't. it's dry. i think booze would have made the biggest difference.

Edited by heights_yankee

I have had the pleasure of meeting with the owners. They are great folks... local to the heights. EVen though they live in a townhome. I think the original plan was to do a good deal of catering which clearly never got off the ground. Im sad to see that the place failed. Good people.

I have similar sentiments about McCain's as many of the previous posters. I have only been in the store twice but it struck me more as a boutique along the lines of what you might see at a wine tasting room. A various assortment of jams, chutneys, chocolates, tidbits to eat rather than an actual local market. There was a meat counter but the onsite selection didn't really inspire. I'm sure the owners are very nice people and the staff were pleasant both times I've been there but the go local... go fresh slogan didnt really apply.

If anyone from out of state has heard or shopped at Trader Joe's, I think that would be a perfect small grocery store for somewhere in the greater Heights. I'm not sure why there aren't any in TX but I've heard rumors its because Whole Foods is based in TX and has too much of a presence in the state for TJ to come in and open a store.

I have had the pleasure of meeting with the owners. They are great folks... local to the heights. EVen though they live in a townhome. I think the original plan was to do a good deal of catering which clearly never got off the ground. Im sad to see that the place failed. Good people.

really? not surprised the catering never got off the ground b/c as a fairly regular customer i never had any idea they even had catering. maybe they can regroup and reopen. if the people at Big Mamou can still claim to be opening, anything can happen!

a. Agree. But for now, Austin has the best small grocery I have come across.

ok, you can have that. just don't put a "keep austin weird" sticker in your window when you leave corporate slavery behind and open your shop here in houston (which i will support, btw B) )

Edited by heights_yankee

Perhaps they could have advertised a bit more? or participated in Heights First Saturday events to encourage foot traffic? Some sort of coffee drink special for First Saturdays or something. I had no idea what was there till I stopped by.

The 1 time I did go in there I thought "what? why does it look so empty?" there's the coffee bar, a small fridge with cheese, a meat counter, deli counter and then the whole middle of the floor only had like 2 or 3 display shelves with nothing but fancy boutique jams, sauces, and brownie mixes. It didn't seem like an efficient/productive use of space when the goal is making money. I bought the box of brownie mix and then found out it was dollars less at Central Market even.

Nothing on the outside even indicates that you can get a fresh made sandwich, regardless of the cost. I was expecting to see much more produce with that "go local" slogan.

Hopefully they are just refocusing and will reopen soon. And they should consider a couple sandwich-boards that indicate what can be found inside.

I went there a few times when it first opened - my purchases were hit or miss - some good meat others tough or fish full of bones that I could get cheaper at Central Market. I guess their targeting of "foodies" and overpriced merch was their eventual downfall - maybe they will change it into more of a grocery store with a coffee bar since they are in a dry area...I would love to have a decent grocery store close by even if it had almost Central Market/Whole Paycheck prices - but McCain's was waaaaay too high.