Retail Center At 550 Heights Blvd.

segovia

There seems to be a lot of unoccupied retail space off Heights Blvd, specifically, the intersection of 6th street / Heights Blvd and the shopping center at the entrance to the Houston Heights off 4th street. I did see a new shop in the process of opening called McCain

There seems to be a lot of unoccupied retail space off Heights Blvd, specifically, the intersection of 6th street / Heights Blvd and the shopping center at the entrance to the Houston Heights off 4th street. I did see a new shop in the process of opening called McCain

I think a lot of eateries shy away from the Heights because their are no liquor profits. The strip center on 6th seems doomed to fail due to poor design. Nice looking building but not enough parking.

An architect friend of mine said the shopping center on Heights @ 6th is doomed for lack of parking. He doesn't know how they got permitted (he suspects a buddy helped), but no tenant buildout can occur without adequate parking. If true, the owner should have realized there are more permits required than just the one to put up the building.

Eventually, if it means enough, they will buy a house nearby and tear it down for parking. But, there is a building behind this one that butts right up to it. Planning is everything. :huh:

An architect friend of mine said the shopping center on Heights @ 6th is doomed for lack of parking. He doesn't know how they got permitted (he suspects a buddy helped), but no tenant buildout can occur without adequate parking. If true, the owner should have realized there are more permits required than just the one to put up the building.

Eventually, if it means enough, they will buy a house nearby and tear it down for parking. But, there is a building behind this one that butts right up to it. Planning is everything. :huh:

There is a new building next to it. It's huge and quite nice. Probably slated for offices. Anyway, it definitely isn't a tear-down. The other building (fronting on 6th) is quite nice but seems to be under-utilized. Hope it doesn't become a parking lot.

There is a new building next to it. It's huge and quite nice. Probably slated for offices. Anyway, it definitely isn't a tear-down.

Then he is in big trouble, isn't he? :blink:

BTW, I saw workers there either Friday or Saturday. Not sure what was going on, but it didn't look like tenant buildout, since I didn't see any metal studs inside the building.

I think a lot of eateries shy away from the Heights because their are no liquor profits. The strip center on 6th seems doomed to fail due to poor design. Nice looking building but not enough parking.

There are 2 things I think we could use in this part of the Heights that don't require liquor permits. A good bakery (no offense to DaCappo's, but their hours stink for the busy, working person) with bagels and muffins; a little ice cream shop. I'd love to see some shop that sells homemade icecream, but even an Amy's would be better than having to drive to W Gray for a cone. :D

The subway strip center?

No, the one on the corner of Heights and 6th. It's in that Texas, native stone style that you see popping up these days. It had a kind of country-ish gift shop in their previously, but that went out of business already...

Edited by heights_yankee

So funny... I drove by there today and there is something going in to one of the spaces. I think it's going to be a coffee shop b/c they have those Italian coffee flavor bottles showing in the window. Interesting...

Well, we all need to make sure we stop by and sample their wares. Maybe whatever it is will stick around...

FYI:

According to a local Houston Heights magazine, McCain's Market will be opening in the retail shop center on the intersection of 6th Street and Heights Blvd. The store will offer a butcher shop, fresh fish, bread, soups, salads, coffee, etc.

Wow. I can't believe there is enough parking to get permitted, though they could have contracted for some extra offsite parking to satify code. I wouldn't complain anyway, since I believe the COH parking requirements are far in excess of what is needed. Street parking should be included in the calculation.

Good for them.

There are 2 things I think we could use in this part of the Heights that don't require liquor permits. A good bakery (no offense to DaCappo's, but their hours stink for the busy, working person) with bagels and muffins; a little ice cream shop. I'd love to see some shop that sells homemade icecream, but even an Amy's would be better than having to drive to W Gray for a cone. :D

There is a great homemade ice cream shop on 19th. It's called "Cricket's Creamery". Great place. We go there all the time to satisfy our ice cream cravings. :P

There is a great homemade ice cream shop on 19th. It's called "Cricket's Creamery". Great place. We go there all the time to satisfy our ice cream cravings. :P

Crickets is a great place. Great gelato. Great coffee. The hours aren't so great though. Would love to stop there for a coffee after work but I think they close at 6. Most (all?) of the shops on 19th have very inconvenient hours for the working person.

FYI:

According to a local Houston Heights magazine, McCain's Market will be opening in the retail shop center on the intersection of 6th Street and Heights Blvd. The store will offer a butcher shop, fresh fish, bread, soups, salads, coffee, etc.

That sounds great. Exactly the kind of place the Heights needs. Can't wait 'til they open. Does the local Heights magazine you mentioned have an Internet link?

Edited by west20th

The article was in a magazine that I picked up at the restaurant "Spanish Flower" several weeks ago. I did look for a website but was unable to find one. The magazine stand is found at the entrance to the restaurant.

Thanks for the info. I'll stop by SF to see if I can find the mag. I did some Google searches on McCain's Market but no hits. Must be the first one, not a chain. Sounds like a mini Eatzi's. :P Really exciting news.

Crickets is a great place. Great gelato. Great coffee. The hours aren't so great though. Would love to stop there for a coffee after work but I think they close at 6. Most (all?) of the shops on 19th have very inconvenient hours for the working person.

That sounds great. Exactly the kind of place the Heights needs. Can't wait 'til they open. Does the local Heights magazine you mentioned have an Internet link?

Yes it does, it is www.heightspages.com

Hope this helps.

I agree about the hours thing. My hubby and I like to get an ice cream after dinner. Heck- we don't even get home from work until after 6...

Again, I totally agree. Of course, now that it's opening, all of us talking about it need to be committed to going there, even if the sopresatta is $.50/lb more than CM. <_<

I agree about the hours thing. My hubby and I like to get an ice cream after dinner. Heck- we don't even get home from work until after 6...

Again, I totally agree. Of course, now that it's opening, all of us talking about it need to be committed to going there, even if the sopresatta is $.50/lb more than CM. <_<

I'll be there quite often for the convenience alone. I'm hoping they have better hours (open to 9 maybe?). Driving through the traffic nightmare of Weslayan & Westheimer pretty much keeps me away from CM even though I really like the store. I won't even mind parking on the street and walking a ways. Parking will be tight there but the exercise won't hurt and it will probably still be a shorter walk than at the CM parking lot.

Edited by west20th

• 2 weeks later...
They have taken about 2/3rds. The balance already houses something called Rock of Ages. Don't know what that is.

B)

Hubby and I went by on a little stroll today. Rock of Ages sells... wait for it.... wait for it... heastones. Yup.

As far as McCain's, it's looking very cute inside. There was a slogan... something like "Buy Fresh... Go Local." Sounds appealing to me... The market takes about 1/2 the building. There is still a spot for lease between the market and the headstone shop.

Edited by heights_yankee

They have taken about 2/3rds. The balance already houses something called Rock of Ages. Don't know what that is.

B)

My nephew told me Rock of Ages is a monument supplier-as in headstones. He also said they are moving out soon and that McCains might take the entire building if they do a good buisness over time.

He also said they are shooting for an opening next week if they can get city approval on the last of their permits.

B)

• 3 weeks later...
McCains at Heights and White Oak is open for buisness. They have a coffee bar, fresh meat and seafood, cheeses and deli items plus lots of oils, salsas, pastas,etc...

Give it a try.

B)

Went by yesterday and the hours on the door said "Sunday - Closed". I understand and appreciate that many folks are opposed to work on Sunday, but for this type of store, I think I would be most likely to visit on the weekends.

Anyway, peering through the windows at the inventory I did salivate a bit. Had they been open, I probably would have made a few impulse purchases.

Went by yesterday and the hours on the door said "Sunday - Closed". I understand and appreciate that many folks are opposed to work on Sunday, but for this type of store, I think I would be most likely to visit on the weekends.

Anyway, peering through the windows at the inventory I did salivate a bit. Had they been open, I probably would have made a few impulse purchases.

Typical Heights retail hours. At least they are open 'til 8 on weeknights. Can't wait to stop by and check them out.

Typical Heights retail hours. At least they are open 'til 8 on weeknights. Can't wait to stop by and check them out.

No kidding! 8 pm is big time for our lovely neck of the woods! I think I'll swing by after work today. Maybe if they get enough business (and feedback) they'll add some Sunday hours. Lots of places on 19th are now open 7 days!

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to rave a little about McCain's for anyone who hasn't been in yet. :)

Their selection isn't the greatest, but the prices are amazing. Buddy's Organic chicken is less per lb than CM (which is, in turn, less than Kroger or Randall's). Also, a girlfriend of mine called and ordered a pound of fresh shrimp from them last week. They peeled and deveined it for her and it was still less than the frozen bag shrimp at Kroger. It was even less than Airline.

In this thread, we talked about shopping there for convenience even if it was more expensive. Well, seems like even those who may not want to pay for the shorter drive will have a reason to stop by McCain's.

I also bought some nice balsamic and some cheese there. I do wish they would expend their cheese selection and get some fresh veggies in!

Edited by heights_yankee