METRORail Construction Resumes

scarface

Surprised no one on here has bothered to post this. HAIF is usually on top of things.

This is quite frustrating to me that any progress in Houston has to take a back seat. It's not enough that they build the regular at-grade rail line, but now they're talking about delaying construction to the point the lines won't be ready by 2013. This is B/S/.

Facing a $49 million budget shortfall this fiscal year' date=' the Metropolitan Transit Authority has begun to slow construction on two light rail lines and may embrace more drastic measures in the coming months as uncertainty grows over a $800 million grant from the Federal Transit Administration.

Senior Metro officials emphasized that they did not anticipate any cuts to services due to the financial pressures and expressed confidence the FTA grant needed to pay for an estimated 30 miles of additional rail in Houston is forthcoming. But they nevertheless have begun to weigh the impact of continued delays on construction plans that anticipated completion in 2013.

"There's going to be some tough choices that we'll be making here, no doubt," Metro Chairman Gilbert Garcia said.

So far, officials said, the work that has been put off has been minimal on the North line, which is expected to run from north Houston to the Texas Medical Center and Reliant Park. Metro has delayed road reconstruction work on Fulton Street and has put off awarding a contract for the expansion and construction of a rail facility on Fannin at the south end of the line near Reliant Park and the 610 Loop.

Those delays could just mark the beginning, Metro's Acting President and CEO George Greanias said........................... [/quote']

full link http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7160740.html

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sadly, you can't rely on the Chronicle for investigative reporting and analysis on METRO.

METRO's ineptitude, or something worse, in spending $100s of millions of our tax $$ since 2003 and continuously delaying implementing the Solutions programs is worthy of a multi-part front page story, you know like the kind the Chron gives to problems in Mexico or the effect of the BP spill on people in other states or the Little League World Series. But since the mayor started cleaning house at METRO the Chron has been reluctant to print anything negative unless forced to do so by other media reports.

local media sources you can check for analysis of METRO's current predicament:

Mike Reed at The Examiner, the Hou Press, Texas Watchdog News, KHOU-TV

blogs/forums that discuss METRO and provide useful links:

Citizens Transportation Coalition (gotten kinda quiet once 1 of their own got appt to the METRO board), Bill King Public Policy Blog, Swamplot, Houston's Clear Thinkers

Sorry should have been specific. This project (and others) need to happen if Houston wants an adequate transit system.

Specificity is not your forte!

Who is this Houston? Is it corporeal? Does it have a brain? Does it think? Is it self-aware? How does it know things? How does it grasp the relative concept that is 'adequacy' if it is incapable of knowing things beyond it, for instance by observing such things (for instance with eyes) or by going there?

Who is this Houston? Is it corporeal? Does it have a brain? Does it think? Is it self-aware? How does it know things? How does it grasp the relative concept that is 'adequacy' if it is incapable of knowing things beyond it, for instance by observing such things (for instance with eyes) or by going there?

Do you know where you're going to? Do you like the things that life is showing you? Where are you going to? Do you know?

ah, but who are we to say what it means to think or not, or whether or not Houston is self aware? Just because we do not poses the technology, or capability to monitor and make a claim based on our current sciences whether Houston is a sentient being, as we define sentience, does that mean that it is not sentient? Are we so proud as to assume that our way of thinking is the only way to think, or to make determination? All because Houston may or may not observe such things, or go places as we can observe and go places. Can we say with any measure of true and real knowledge what a soul is, and whether this Houston possesses such?

ah, but who are we to say what it means to think or not, or whether or not Houston is self aware? Just because we do not poses the technology, or capability to monitor and make a claim based on our current sciences whether Houston is a sentient being, as we define sentience, does that mean that it is not sentient? Are we so proud as to assume that our way of thinking is the only way to think, or to make determination? All because Houston may or may not observe such things, or go places as we can observe and go places. Can we say with any measure of true and real knowledge what a soul is, and whether this Houston possesses such?

Niche, you have to reply that while the possibility is small, in the absence of absolutely known knowns, we must admit there's a probability that Houston does indeed have a soul and is sentient. (And that mfastx may be the arbiter of needs.)

Houston is only what we percieve it to be. I believe Houston is a great city, but it could improve it's public transit.

My comment was on topic, pointing out platitudinous drivel for what it was. Not sure why it elicited such a response.

Are you hard of reading? The editor said to keep it on topic. One more time - if you have problems with topic moderation then bring it up by PM, not within the thread. :angry:

Well I'm going to relate to the topic...

I'm tired of METRO stalling on the new lines too. But what I don't understand is why they are taking so long to create new revenue streams. Two untapped revenue sources are staring the agency in the face, but they're doing nothing about it.

Convert the HOV lanes to HOT lanes already!!! Of course the ultimate goal is to have expanded lanes like the Katy Tollway, but I'm sure they could figure out how to toll the current HOVs. This is a revenue stream that many people in the city ALREADY take advantage of (illegally). So we may as well enforce it and make some cash for the agency.

ADS on the busses. METRO has these rolling billboards all over town, but refuses to use them as a fund generator. This several million dollars going down the tube could again be used to aid METRO's priorities for construction.

It's really sad and pathetic that they have a budget gap that they won't lift a finger to earn money and close it!

Convert the HOV lanes to HOT lanes already!!! Of course the ultimate goal is to have expanded lanes like the Katy Tollway, but I'm sure they could figure out how to toll the current HOVs. This is a revenue stream that many people in the city ALREADY take advantage of (illegally). So we may as well enforce it and make some cash for the agency.

Agreed. I hate to see people illegally using the HOV lanes, making them toll would solve problems. I also don't like that on the Katy freeway and 59 south around sugar land, the HOV lanes aren't separated from the mainlanes, so people just cross over randomly.

They also need some sort of way to make sure the people that get on the train actually pay, the current honor system doesn't work. Maybe that'll help with the budget also (though probably not enough to make areal impact).

Well I'm going to relate to the topic...

I'm tired of METRO stalling on the new lines too. But what I don't understand is why they are taking so long to create new revenue streams. Two untapped revenue sources are staring the agency in the face, but they're doing nothing about it.

That's in the works, however only HCTRA has the legislative authority to levy tolls. It doesn't help METRO.

Your ad-space idea is a good one, though. They can also put up posters at bus and light rail stops for a bit of extra revenue.

ADS on the busses. METRO has these rolling billboards all over town, but refuses to use them as a fund generator. This several million dollars going down the tube could again be used to aid METRO's priorities for construction.

Good point. METRO already allows advertising on their vehicles - their own.

Even if the exteriors of the vehicles aren't initially given over to advertising, a start would be opening up the interiors to paying advertisers. I'd just as soon look at a Burger King ad as the uninspired tripe that METRO chooses to post.

what have been the reasons for metro not generating money from add revenue?

driving through downtown this morning (jury duty) and they were working hard on all the east end stuff.

what is going to happen? Are they going to just stop and leave half done? Are they going to just work slower?

In an ideal world, yes, this would work. But my observation has been that it doesn't.

In Chicago, ads are allowed on all forms of transit. Video screens on the tops of taxis, and the sides of buses, plackards inside the buses, on the floors, ceilings, etc... But the problem is that the ads, more often than not, are old, torn, or simply outdated. I've seen ads promoting October flu shot clinics on buses as late as January simply because there aren't enough advertisers interested in mass transit these days.

Take into consideration that Chicago is a big media market, the home of a bunch of big advertising companies (the Marlboro Man, Jolly Green Giant, Rodolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, and others are all from CHI agencies), and a huge transit city (CTA moves the entire population of Houston each rush hour). Yet there still isn't enough interest in transit advertising to fill even half of the fleet.

One smart thing the CTA did, though, is sell all the ad space to a single company (Clear Channel, I think) for a flat rate. Something around $2 million a year. If Chicago only gets $2 mil for its massive transit system and transit audience, I doubt that METRO would get even half that.

I second that. One more caveat, they must also construct an urban store that is green and pedestrian, maybe part of a TOD for the Inner Katy Line. Design is my biggest issue in my book.

Sounds like the architects are loving the design but the residents aren't.

One smart thing the CTA did, though, is sell all the ad space to a single company (Clear Channel, I think) for a flat rate. Something around $2 million a year. If Chicago only gets $2 mil for its massive transit system and transit audience, I doubt that METRO would get even half that.

a million dollars can keep a bus on the road for quite a while, or employ a driver, or maintenance crew.

it could probably build a few hundred feet of track for the new rail lines.

at any rate, $2 million sounds like a sweat heart of a deal for a place like chicago. wonder how much clearchannel makes in ad revenue just from the transit?

Archived