Sign in to follow this  
matty1979

West Houston

Wow! malvie and boogaloo - thanks for the wonderful memories! I stumbled upon this site a few weeks ago and have now spent far too much time avoiding other work reading all of this. A few things I remember, to add a little to this thread. Hubby and I moved here in 1978, living in a Harold Farb complex on Gessner near Bellaire, then bought a townhouse on Pagewood, right behind Emerson Elementary. I worked at Best Products for a while and remember driving by the Cadillac Club someone mentioned somewhere here. Yes, definitely not Cadillac! When we first got here I did temp work for a very nice townhome development - Hudson on Memorial. Very upscale townhomes. I also temped for a few months for two law firms in a bank building on 610 - O'Quinn, Kerensky and Machinek (sp?) and Rogers, Rubenstein and Wright. It was always a mouthful to answer either phone line. Worked for Channel Z too, offices on Post Oak and 610. Then worked for Richmond Tank Car in the office building next to the Marriott. Hamburgers by Gourmet was a favorite lunch run back then, I think it is an erotic lingerie store now. I remember keeping an eye on the gas lines at the stations right there too, running down to get in line as you saw cars starting to line up.

While living in that area of west Houston, we frequented Baby Jane's Log Cabin on Richmond on Friday nights. Dan Pastorini was a frequent visitor there too, often with a few sweeties on his arms.

In '81 we moved out to "far west" Houston, off Barker Cypress Rd. It did not go straight through as it does today, but rather zig-zagged all over the place. Windsong Trail was known as Gertie Rice Rd and West Little York was a dead end at Hwy 6. I took a job in CFISD at the elementary school in Prestonwood Forest. Met a few other teachers at the parking lot that is now Park n' Ride to carpool to work. Highway 6 had just expanded to 4 lanes and there were maybe 7-8 stoplights all the way up to 249.

I remember one fall, at the start of the school year, that West Little York suddenly cut through past Hwy 6 to the west, and Barker Cypress was getting straightened out. Seems there was a little bit of a scandal about Bob Eckels (IIRC) and that extension of WLY. Now there are probably 25-30 stoplights between I-10 and 249 along Hwy 6!

Worked for a couple of summers temping in office buildings at the Barker Cypress end of a new development - Park 10! Rather than drive down BC to I-10 and up Hwy 6 to enter Park 10, those of us that lived off Barker Cypress just made a dirt road across the field to where Park Row ended. You just couldn't use it when it was rainy. Also the hill on Barker Cypress going up and over the dam was really steep back then. When they expanded BC they made the hill much more friendly.

I remember the Barker Post office and the old timey buildings that were there with it. Seem to remember also, when they tore all of that down, there was a pool under or behind the buildings that I had never seen before. Also a nice little nursery over to the east (Baker Rd maybe) where Barker Cypress ended at I-10.

One house I have often wondered about, and I have not really poked around here much to see if there is any info, is the house at the corner of Hwy 6 and West Little York. The land was cleared around the house a few years ago, and several of the buildings on the property were torn down, but the main house is there. It looks like it was very beautiful in its day. Wonder what its history is.

Well, I am glad to find this forum and really glad to read everyones memories of West Houston! Looking forward to reading more here in the future!

I live down the creek from the house on West Little York. It is a beautiful home and still maintained, and still holding a fair value on HCAD. It is on aerial maps for as far as I can go back, which is the 40s, though it was completely covered in trees and barely visible. There were a few other farm homes around connected with dirt roads, including one which sat on the land my neighborhood was built on. The creeks looks amazing in aerial photos - like a riparian forest. Wish it still looked that way today. 

Wow! malvie and boogaloo - thanks for the wonderful memories! I stumbled upon this site a few weeks ago and have now spent far too much time avoiding other work reading all of this. A few things I remember, to add a little to this thread. Hubby and I moved here in 1978, living in a Harold Farb complex on Gessner near Bellaire, then bought a townhouse on Pagewood, right behind Emerson Elementary. I worked at Best Products for a while and remember driving by the Cadillac Club someone mentioned somewhere here. Yes, definitely not Cadillac! When we first got here I did temp work for a very nice townhome development - Hudson on Memorial. Very upscale townhomes. I also temped for a few months for two law firms in a bank building on 610 - O'Quinn, Kerensky and Machinek (sp?) and Rogers, Rubenstein and Wright. It was always a mouthful to answer either phone line. Worked for Channel Z too, offices on Post Oak and 610. Then worked for Richmond Tank Car in the office building next to the Marriott. Hamburgers by Gourmet was a favorite lunch run back then, I think it is an erotic lingerie store now. I remember keeping an eye on the gas lines at the stations right there too, running down to get in line as you saw cars starting to line up.

While living in that area of west Houston, we frequented Baby Jane's Log Cabin on Richmond on Friday nights. Dan Pastorini was a frequent visitor there too, often with a few sweeties on his arms.

In '81 we moved out to "far west" Houston, off Barker Cypress Rd. It did not go straight through as it does today, but rather zig-zagged all over the place. Windsong Trail was known as Gertie Rice Rd and West Little York was a dead end at Hwy 6. I took a job in CFISD at the elementary school in Prestonwood Forest. Met a few other teachers at the parking lot that is now Park n' Ride to carpool to work. Highway 6 had just expanded to 4 lanes and there were maybe 7-8 stoplights all the way up to 249.

I remember one fall, at the start of the school year, that West Little York suddenly cut through past Hwy 6 to the west, and Barker Cypress was getting straightened out. Seems there was a little bit of a scandal about Bob Eckels (IIRC) and that extension of WLY. Now there are probably 25-30 stoplights between I-10 and 249 along Hwy 6!

Worked for a couple of summers temping in office buildings at the Barker Cypress end of a new development - Park 10! Rather than drive down BC to I-10 and up Hwy 6 to enter Park 10, those of us that lived off Barker Cypress just made a dirt road across the field to where Park Row ended. You just couldn't use it when it was rainy. Also the hill on Barker Cypress going up and over the dam was really steep back then. When they expanded BC they made the hill much more friendly.

I remember the Barker Post office and the old timey buildings that were there with it. Seem to remember also, when they tore all of that down, there was a pool under or behind the buildings that I had never seen before. Also a nice little nursery over to the east (Baker Rd maybe) where Barker Cypress ended at I-10.

One house I have often wondered about, and I have not really poked around here much to see if there is any info, is the house at the corner of Hwy 6 and West Little York. The land was cleared around the house a few years ago, and several of the buildings on the property were torn down, but the main house is there. It looks like it was very beautiful in its day. Wonder what its history is.

Well, I am glad to find this forum and really glad to read everyones memories of West Houston! Looking forward to reading more here in the future!

Well the original post was five years ago, but I just saw it. I lived in Walnut Bend in the early days from 1967-1977. Also played baseball at both locations of Voss-West Little League and attended Walnut Bend Elementary School.

Voss-West was originally on Hays Rd, as someone pointed out. It moved to the Paul Revere location in about 1973-4. There was nothing else in that field at the time, then some apartments were built and then the rec fields were built over.

One builder, Paul J. McConnell built many of the homes in WB. Lakeside Estates went in next door.

We used to go to Andreau to watch the planes land and I learned to drive on two lane West Belt.

Walnut Bend fed into T.H. Rogers Jr. high and Robert E. Lee HS. We rode busses all the way to Rogers before Paul Revere existed.

Good times.

• Like 1

That home builder, Paul McConnnell made a tradition of buying ice cream for the whole school (St Micheal's) on St. Patrick's day every year that I attended 1961-1969. I'm not sure how long he continued the patronage but it was something us kids looked forward to every year.

I started at Walnut Bend Elementary School in January 1968 after moving from Sharpstown to our new house in Ashford Forest.  There was only one school bus serving all of west HISD elementary students at that time.  One bus route covered everything from Walnut Bend all the way to Highway 6.  It took 40 minutes to get home from a school only 2-3 miles away because of the long route and the lack of roads.   The poor old bus (it may have been a 1959 International Harvester model with very rounded shape) was so overcrowded we had three people per seat, enforced by our driver Mr. Jackson, plus people standing in the isle front to back, and more sitting on the steps in front.  And there were no hand-holds on the corner of the seats then so people were stumbling and their books falling all the time.  

We would leave the school, head out to Westheimer.  (We would pass the three houses of Lakeside Estates that sat there all alone for several years.)  Then down to the first stop on Hayes Rd. (there was no Wilcrest) There were 3-4 old wood frame houses down Hayes Rd. with several Mexican-American children, likely the only ones in the school.  Then on west (no Kirkwood) past Dairy-Ashford (no Eldridge) to drop off the only black students in the school that lived next to where the Roquemoore dirt yard was later built.  Then on to Hwy 6.  (Later we had stops at Briar Village when it was built.  One time our bus was flooded out there and we had to get out and push it back to Westheimer.)  On Hwy. 6 we turned North and went down past Briar Forest to Westway where we had four or five riders.  (One girl's mother had a dark blue with white stripe 68 Camaro Rally Sport with the hidden headlights.) We went down to the end of this gravel road and had a difficult time turning around at the end but we had to turn around to get back on Hwy 6 to go back to Briar Forest.  At the corner, where the Chevron is now, there was an old farm house where we dropped off two girls.  (Their mother drove a 1952 light green Dodge automobile.)  And now the real fun began.  Heading east on Briar Forest there was nothing but miles and miles of a rough narrow gravel road it seemed like we would fly down that path kicking up a huge dust trail at great speed.  There were two dangerous 90 degree turns where people had been killed in wrecks- we would slide out of our seats to the other side of the bus each way.   Briar Bayou was the last stop on the gravel road for 5-6 more children.  (The home builder Joel Phillips lived down there and had a swimming pool inside his house.)  Then on to Dairy Ashford and back to civilization.  Part of the original Briar Forest remains but its now called Goar Road.

Our old bus had a wreck one day on the way home from Walnut Bend.  There was someone changing a tire on the side of Westheimer and Mr. Jackson swerved to miss him.  We ran through the ditch and hit a big old tree in front of an old farm house past Hayes Rd.  Mr Jackson's head went through the windshield and blood was everywhere but he was able to get to the back of the bus, which was way off the ground, and see that we jumped out safely onto Westheimer.   A lot of the children were injured and people along Westheimer picked them up and drove them home.  Most people were hurt from hitting their heads on the back of the seat  in front of them which were steel pipe frames across the top and sheet metal backs. (No seatbelts for the driver or students.)  A lot of people had teeth knocked out and bloody lips, black eyes and bloody foreheads.  No big deal.  We had cub scouts that afternoon and these people that picked us up on Westheimer dropped us off for cub scouts in this bruised and bloody condition at the cub scout lady's house.  What a surprise for her.  We should have done our first aide lesson that day. But no one seemed too concerned.  We had a brand new bus with automatic transmission the next day and carried on. There are many other bus tales from the years through Rogers and Lee that are equally memorable.  

Do you-all remember in front of Walnut Bend school that Briar Forest was built four lanes just like it is now but it was a dead end at the east school property line/ditch and there was no curb cut to drive to the front of the school.  Every single car and bus that had to drop off in front of the school had to drive up over the curb and over the median to U turn to get to the west bound lanes.  It was fun to sit out in front of school every morning and see all those big bouncy cars making that maneuver in a hurried pace.  It remained that way from before 1964 to the early 1970's when the street was completed. People put up with a lot of inconveniences then. 

Edited by SpaceAge
  • Like 1

I lived in the area 72-86.  Started in Ashford South on Wedgehill, walked the short distance from there to Ashford Elementary for Kindergarten.  Then moved to what I guess is Ashford Village, at Waldemar and Cherry Bend.  Went to Ashford thru 3rd grade but then to Askew for 4th and 5th in some kind of Vanguard program.

Resurrecting an old thread.  Could not resist because it was speaking directly of my childhood.  Went to Revere 6/7/8th grade, and am exactly the same year as boogaloo.  Must know who he is, because I share all the same memories from there as him including the people and the shop teachers.  I took woodshop and metal shop in 6th there.

I didn't go to Lee, though many of my friends did.  I think I missed out.  I went to Strake for 9/10/11th then moved Louisiana for senior year which was a throwaway.  Just partied, played heavy metal guitar, and grew my hair out.  That was how you "fit in" there.  Then to UT, luckily got in-state tuition.  Strake turned out to be a blessing for preparing to go to UT engineering school though.

It's a joy to  hear all the memories that I share, plus the ones I don't since they pre-date me.  It's fascinating the bussing that went on in the 70s when Rogers was the middle school, and how it went so far west to what really was the country and the time.  All those kids being bussed so far away.  Before there were really proper roads to go there!

Also for many years lived under the flight path for Andrau, and when those Lear jets came over there was just no point in continuing conversations.  Couldn't hear anything else but the planes.

My family on both sides are deeply rooted in Houston so I love this site for gathering the "memories that never were" for me but are very relatable.

Been in Austin since 87, with a brief break to Virginia in 93.