Memories Of West Houston

matty1979

Howdy people! I have been observing for years and wanted to throw my hat in the ring. I am curious if some people out there can give me some info on my neighborhood.

I have lived in Walnut Bend for the better part of of 25 years. I also spent several years living off of Dairy Ashford and Memorial.

If anyone has any info on the area...not current but historical I would love to hear.

Thanks everyone!!

Howdy people! I have been observing for years and wanted to throw my hat in the ring. I am curious if some people out there can give me some info on my neighborhood.

I have lived in Walnut Bend for the better part of of 25 years. I also spent several years living off of Dairy Ashford and Memorial.

If anyone has any info on the area...not current but historical I would love to hear.

Thanks everyone!!

I should correct myself and say that any comments about the history of the westside of Houston are very welcome and not just limited to my neighborhood.

Sorry guys....new to the posting!

I should correct myself and say that any comments about the history of the westside of Houston are very welcome and not just limited to my neighborhood.

Sorry guys....new to the posting!

Walnut Bend was developed in the late 1950s-1960s and at that time there wasn't much west of it other than ranch land. A few exceptions I remember: 1) About where Hayes Rd. is now, there used to be an oyster shell or gravel road north of Westheimer that led to a series of baseball fields. This was Voss West Little League. 2)Beyond Kirkwood, in the West Houston Medical Center area, was an airport for small planes and corporate jets. That was Andrau Airport (Hobby family). My memory is fuzzy beyond that.

Walnut Bend was developed in the late 1950s-1960s and at that time there wasn't much west of it other than ranch land. A few exceptions I remember: 1) About where Hayes Rd. is now, there used to be an oyster shell or gravel road north of Westheimer that led to a series of baseball fields. This was Voss West Little League. 2)Beyond Kirkwood, in the West Houston Medical Center area, was an airport for small planes and corporate jets. That was Andrau Airport (Hobby family). My memory is fuzzy beyond that.

A minor correction to your info. Andrau Airpark wasn't owned by the Hobby family. It was built, owned and managed by Mr and Mrs H.B. Andrau. The airport was closed on December 23, 1998 when a Houston real estate firm paid Mrs Andrau 53 million dollars for the land. The airport was quickly demolished and the Royal Oaks Country Club subdivision and a golf course replaced the field.

A minor correction to your info. Andrau Airpark wasn't owned by the Hobby family. It was built, owned and managed by Mr and Mrs H.B. Andrau. The airport was closed on December 23, 1998 when a Houston real estate firm paid Mrs Andrau 53 million dollars for the land. The airport was quickly demolished and the Royal Oaks Country Club subdivision and a golf course replaced the field.

I'd be very interested in learning of the history of the Westchase area, which is near the old Andrau Airport. Grew up on the northside in the Aldine area and had a blast learning the history of that part of town (had a great thread on it here at HAIF). Have lived in Westchase and West Houston for 20 years now and have really seen it grow. When I first moved this way in 1990 and worked at Wilcrest and Richmond, there was next to nothing out here. Boy has that changed. Any info would be appreciated.

You can still see one little piece of paving from the ariport.

http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/?org=aj#5003/s=w/5872/style=a&lat=29.732611&lon=-95.588219&z=18&pid=5874

Here is a 1981 view of Andrau from Historic Aerials. That's Westheimer to the north and Wilcrest to the east of the airport. Brays Bayou goes around it to the south and west. The piece of paving still there that jgriff points out appears to be part of the road from Westheimer to the airport. Interesting to flip through the years and see the changes in that area.

I had forgotten about Andrau. I drove by it many times years ago, when it was all by itself in that area.

When did they Briar Forest all the way thru to Beltway 8 or the "West Belt"?

I stand to be corrected on this, but when I was doing research for my Aldine history thread by reading old Chronicles and Posts, I came across a story about that happening in 1978 or 1979, if memory serves.

I stand corrected. Here's a site with more info on Andrau Airpark (includes aerial photos):

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/TX/Airfields_TX_HoustonW.htm#andrau

Here is a 1981 view of Andrau from Historic Aerials. ~ I had forgotten about Andrau. I drove by it many times years ago, when it was all by itself in that area.

I flew into Andrau most recently in 1996 in a rented C-152 to resupply Walter aviation with some flightsim software, but the 1957 view is the way I best remember Andrau. Back then, it was surrounded by open fields and few if any trees. The entrance road crossed right at the end of runway 16. An accident occurred on at least one occasion I recall. A Beech 18 pounded the roof of a small van but continued safely on to "Hobby" for an uneventful emergency landing. Amazingly, no injuries!

I remember a corporate owned DC-3 frequently parked out there that had a beautiful blue polished aluminum finish. I don't recall the tail sign, but does anyone know who this great paint job belonged to?

What about the Carillion shopping center. Does anyone remember some of the original stores?

I also remember something about the Westchase Hilton burning down in the early 80's...not sure though!

I remember a couple of restaurants that may have been original to Carillion--The Great Caruso and Foulard's. As for the Westchase Hilton burning down, I don't recall that.

What about the Carillion shopping center. Does anyone remember some of the original stores?

I also remember something about the Westchase Hilton burning down in the early 80's...not sure though!

The Great Caruso, a dinner theatre place, was there forever, until it burned down in 2006. The Great Greek, a greek restaurant, was there for a long time, I think it closed down in the early 90s. If I remember correctly, it was on one of the pad sites, maybe where Outback Steakhouse is now.

Well, my folks had a bakery there for all of six months in the mid-80s. I remember playing Aliens ( I was 10ish) with a friend in that shopping center because it had a lot of cool ramps and variations in elevation. I don't remember much else about the center other than the Laugh Factory (I think that was the name of the comedy club that was there) and a B.Dalton in one of the parking lot pads. My family used to go to the Souper Salad (or Lettuce Surprise You) in the early 90s. It seemed like it was having a hard time keeping tenants in the 80s. I don't remember the bakery having very many neighbors.

Since you've been in Walnut Bend for 25 years, I imagine you remember when the Target shopping center at Walnut Bend and Westheimer was called Westchase "Mall" because it had an airconditioned hallway leading from the Target to other stores. We talked about it at length here:

My family used to go to the Souper Salad (or Lettuce Surprise You) in the early 90s.

It was called Lettuce Surprise You. It opened in 1990. I had just moved to Westchase into my first apartment, which was on Meadowglen. I remember when it opened they sent out "buy one, get one free" coupons. Everyone in my apartment complex (Sunset Shadows) just threw them out. Well, having a girlfriend (now wife) who loved salad and being on a tight budget, I must have grabbed about 100 of the things and took her there once a week for nearly a year on the coupon. I was probably their most consistent customer, although they never made a dime off me thanks to the free food. LOL!

I remember Westchase Mall very well. There was an arcade and I think it was called "Funway Freeway". There was also a toy store a beauty shop, a record shop and a Kodak store if I recall.

They always had a killer haunted house every October!!

I know I need to not be so spread out when it comes to topics but....does anybody remember the old Little League Baseball and Football fields they had where Paul Revere Middle School stands?

I know for a fact that Revere was originally "pitched" as a High School. That explains the abundant amount of parking spots and the fact there was a complete metal shop and no metal shop course ever available while I was in school there. It had features that LEE HIGH SCHOOL did not have at the time.

The fact that I worked in the library at Revere and saw a whole slide show dedicated to pushing it to become a high school can confirm that.

Another great fact is that Walnut Bend LN was originally named "Black Horse"

Does anyone have any newspaper ads for Walnut Bend or Lakeside Estates from back in the day?

Does anyone have any newspaper ads for Walnut Bend or Lakeside Estates from back in the day?

I have old newspapers from Nov, 1963 and Jul, 1969. I bet you can deduce why I have saved those. I looked through them and could find no large ads for either Walnut Bend or Lakeside Estates. There was one small classified ad for a Walnut Bend home in the 1963 paper and several in the 1969 paper. I can post one or two of those, if interested.

I have old newspapers from Nov, 1963 and Jul, 1969. I bet you can deduce why I have saved those. I looked through them and could find no large ads for either Walnut Bend or Lakeside Estates. There was one small classified ad for a Walnut Bend home in the 1963 paper and several in the 1969 paper. I can post one or two of those, if interested.

I presume you are referring to the Post or Chronicle. What was the other, Houston Press? I recall the Chronicle had a very rare reprint on Nov.22, 1963 when they stopped the presses around noon because of the unfolding events of the day. That must be the one you have, right?

This is way off this topic, but is there anyway you can scan the 1963 movie/entertainment page and post in the old drive-in movies topic? That would be interesting to see what the dozens of Houston area drive-ins were showing back then!

I presume you are referring to the Post or Chronicle. What was the other, Houston Press? I recall the Chronicle had a very rare reprint on Nov.22, 1963 when they stopped the presses around noon because of the unfolding events of the day. That must be the one you have, right?

This is way off this topic, but is there anyway you can scan the 1963 movie/entertainment page and post in the old drive-in movies topic? That would be interesting to see what the dozens of Houston area drive-ins were showing back then!

4PROP...

I do have that Chronicle EXTRA from the 22nd. Will post that front page on a compatible topic later. I also have the Post and Chronicle editions for that weekend. The Chronicle also had an EXTRA on Sunday for the Oswald shooting. I don't remember if the Houston Press was still around then or not.

Will also post the drive-in movies showing at that time on the old drive-ins topic.

I lived in Walnut Bend from 74 to 84 as a young girl. I also attended Second Baptist School during this time so I have lots of memories of that area of town. When I went to Second Baptist, we had a carpool one year with a girl whose dad was the manager of that Hilton. I remember seeing their "apartment" that they lived in in the hotel (on the 10th floor I believe) and thinking how cool it was. I do remember the fire a little bit b/c it was during that time. I know for a fact that the hotel didn't burn to the ground, but they did have a decent sized fire that gutted several rooms and did substantial damage. I was just talking to my parents and they remember that several people also died in that fire. This was probably 83 or 84.

As far as Carillon, I remember every year that Second Baptist Church would do their human singing Christmas tree outside there at Carillion. There were many neat angles and cut out areas and one was a big circular area that the human Christmas tree fit into perfectly. Does anyone else remember this? As far as shops, my mom said she remembered The Great Caruso and a place called the Hobbit Hole or Hobbit Cafe. My memories are a little later of the Chili's that is still there and when this ice cream store called Cones and Cream opened. It was like a current day Marble Slab and I remember people waiting for what seemed like hours to get ice cream w/ the mix-ins.

As for Westchase Mall, I remember that well too. I do remember the Gap as the first store on your right as you left Target.

I also remember a beauty salon, eye doctor (still see him today by Whole Foods now), Hallmark type shop, and maybe a pizza place.

Amazing post! What a sad video. I heard that there were alot of people jumping from the top floors.

Thats funny about the hotel manager. Thats back in the day when they actually cared about the hotel staff. I should know, I worked at one in college.

Does anyone recall what stores were located in the strip center in between WICKERSHAM and WESTHEIMER right along Blue Willow?

Also the strip center where "1st Stop" is on Walnut Bend In between Briar Forest and Inwood? I have heard a UTOTEM but could be wrong.

Thanks everyone!!

Like you, I live in the West Houston area. I've lived in Houston twice in my life; in 1979 and now. I remember "Sunday driving" out in this area where I live now, thinking, "Gee, I'd sure love to live here some day!" and I do....

I've found out a couple of things (probably discussed elsewhere on this forum, so please don't everybody jump me).

1. How Dairy Ashford got its name: It's one of those Houston-special hyphenated names, denoting place to place. "Dairy" was what is now Alief, and referred to a concentration of dairy farms in the area. "Ashford" was a small community located close to the current Westheimer/Dairy Ashford intersection. So the road between them was "Dairy-Ashford", just like "Barker-Cypress", "Aldine-Bender", etc. I am not aware of another area that names roads like this.

2. There is recent work from UH and Rice indicating that there are a large number of geologic faults in the area, which are responsible for the terrible condition of the roads---and the foundations---in the area.

I don't remember, though, from 1979 when I was driving my company car (and their gas...) around out here looking at houses, the now bombed-out intersection of Wilcrest and Briar Forest at all. If anybody knows, what grocery store was there before Food Town? Was it a nice shopping center? Did it start to go bad with the arrival of the Katrina refugees, or was it going downhill beforehand? I just remember everything out here being new in 1979.

Like you, I live in the West Houston area. I've lived in Houston twice in my life; in 1979 and now. I remember "Sunday driving" out in this area where I live now, thinking, "Gee, I'd sure love to live here some day!" and I do....

I've found out a couple of things (probably discussed elsewhere on this forum, so please don't everybody jump me).

1. How Dairy Ashford got its name: It's one of those Houston-special hyphenated names, denoting place to place. "Dairy" was what is now Alief, and referred to a concentration of dairy farms in the area. "Ashford" was a small community located close to the current Westheimer/Dairy Ashford intersection. So the road between them was "Dairy-Ashford", just like "Barker-Cypress", "Aldine-Bender", etc. I am not aware of another area that names roads like this.

2. There is recent work from UH and Rice indicating that there are a large number of geologic faults in the area, which are responsible for the terrible condition of the roads---and the foundations---in the area.

I don't remember, though, from 1979 when I was driving my company car (and their gas...) around out here looking at houses, the now bombed-out intersection of Wilcrest and Briar Forest at all. If anybody knows, what grocery store was there before Food Town? Was it a nice shopping center? Did it start to go bad with the arrival of the Katrina refugees, or was it going downhill beforehand? I just remember everything out here being new in 1979.

I know that before it was a Food Town it was a Gerlands. Back in the 80's it was grocery store called David's. Not sure if that was a chain or not.

Archived