The World's Ten Best Cities

There's a new list out of the world's best cities:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20100817/NEWS02/100819884/chicago-climbs-global-cities-list

1. New York
  2. London
  3. Tokyo
  4. Paris
  5. Hong Kong
  6. Chicago
  7. Los Angeles
  8. Singapore
  9. Sydney
  10. Seoul

I've been to nine of these places, and I'd say two of these cities don't belong in the top ten. I can't speak to Sydney.

There's a new list out of the world's best cities:

http://www.chicagobu...bal-cities-list

1. New York
  2. London
  3. Tokyo
  4. Paris
  5. Hong Kong
  6. Chicago
  7. Los Angeles
  8. Singapore
  9. Sydney
  10. Seoul

I've been to nine of these places, and I'd say two of these cities don't belong in the top ten. I can't speak to Sydney.

Which cities do you think don't belong?

I'd inclined to agree with msot of these, but I'm pretty Eh on LA, though. But I don't know who who else got left off to make a proper judgment.

Well best cities is a matter of subjectivity, anyways. But this list doesn't rank the best cities in the world, but rather the most global cities in the world.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/08/11/the_global_cities_index_2010

Some clarification on the criteria for the makings of a global city.

So what makes a Global City? Not size alone, that's for sure; many of the world's largest megalopolises, such as Karachi (60), Lagos (59), and Kolkata (63), barely make the list. Instead, the index aims to measure how much sway a city has over what happens beyond its own borders -- its influence on and integration with global markets, culture, and innovation. To create this year's rankings, we analyzed 65 cities with more than 1 million people across every region of the globe, using definitive sources to tally everything from a city's business activity, human capital, and information exchange to its cultural experience and political engagement. Data ranged from how many Fortune Global 500 company headquarters were in a city to the size of its capital markets and the flow of goods through its airports and ports, as well as factors such as the number of embassies, think tanks, political organizations, and museums. Taken together, a city's performance on this slate of indicators tells us how worldly -- or provincial -- it really is.

Not trying to start nothing, but they have Houston as the #38 best, 40th in population and 17th in GDP, While they have Atlanta as the #40 best, 39th in Population and 15th in GDP. Are those Population numbers and GDP numbers correct? I thought Houston's Metro and GDP was larger.

Sydney belongs on the list. I've been there. I would live there, given half a chance, although I would ultimately return to Houston.

My Choice would be London, but like you, I'd eventually come back. Paris would be okay for a week or so, but it's highly overrated.

Sydney would be awesome, if it wasn't for most of the flora and fauna being able to kill you.

Not trying to start nothing, but they have Houston as the #38 best, 40th in population and 17th in GDP, While they have Atlanta as the #40 best, 39th in Population and 15th in GDP. Are those Population numbers and GDP numbers correct? I thought Houston's Metro and GDP was larger.

You may be right. Here is a list posted in April.

My link

However, other lists have Houston behind both Atlanta and Dallas, though those lists seem to all be from 2005. The numbers are all over the map. Population-wise, Houston is larger than Atlanta in every way measured.

My Choice would be London, but like you, I'd eventually come back. Paris would be okay for a week or so, but it's highly overrated.

Sydney would be awesome, if it wasn't for most of the flora and fauna being able to kill you.

London is good too. I've lived there, and it's still my favorite big city to visit.

My Australian friends tell me that the animals just aren't that bad.

You may be right. Here is a list posted in April.

My link

However, other lists have Houston behind both Atlanta and Dallas, though those lists seem to all be from 2005. The numbers are all over the map. Population-wise, Houston is larger than Atlanta in every way measured.

The Houston MSA’s gross product in 2009 was $403.8 billion, according to The Perryman

Group. If Houston were a country, its economy would be larger than that of Colombia,

Belgium, Malaysia or Venezuela, according to the CIA’s World Factbook. Only 22 foreign

nations’ gross products exceed Houston’s.

GHP Link

Regardless of the rubric used, Houston isn't small potatoes.

The fact that the Chicago Council on Global Affairs is one of the entities behind the list sorta discredits the whole thing. I'm sure the criteria and weightings were chosen so Chicago would place highly, especially ahead of the usual "#2 city" in the US, LA. Whatever insecurities Houston has about its position among American cities, Chicago has the same insecurity with its position among global cities. Here is an interesting essay on Chicago as an economically diverse but weaker global city.

Most people I know like Chicago. I've never met anyone other than native Koreans that thinks Seoul is a great city.

Seoul has made huge strides in the last few years, so I would tend to agree that it should be on the list. It's also become a major tech and media center.

It may not be highly influential globally, but it certainly is in Asia.

Paris highly overrated? I have not been to most these cities, but it's hard for me to imagine a better city on this earth.

As cities in other countries continue to edge out cities in the United States, do you all think US cities will be able compete as far as World cities in the future? I mean I know it doesn't take much for a US city to be World city because there is so much wealth here, but many of the cities outside of this country are growing much faster then US cities did back in the day. It just seems like they are dwarfing us. Take for instance the city of Chongqing in China, I have never heard of it but apparently its the fastest growing city in the world with over 32 million current residence. Take a look at this article on that city: http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/08/16/chicago_on_the_yangtze So do you all think US cities will be able to compete as far as World cities in the future (particularly Houston)? Do you think we will ever see the type of boom foreign cities such as Chongqing and Dubi have recently?

As cities in other countries continue to edge out cities in the United States, do you all think US cities will be able compete as far as World cities in the future? I mean I know it doesn't take much for a US city to be World city because there is so much wealth here, but many of the cities outside of this country are growing much faster then US cities did back in the day. It just seems like they are dwarfing us. Take for instance the city of Chongqing in China, I have never heard of it but apparently its the fastest growing city in the world with over 32 million current residence. Take a look at this article on that city: http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/08/16/chicago_on_the_yangtze So do you all think US cities will be able to compete as far as World cities in the future (particularly Houston)? Do you think we will ever see the type of boom foreign cities such as Chongqing and Dubi have recently?

The criteria being used to establish what is a global city is highly subjective. Europe is vastly over-represented, and population or aggregate wealth does not seem to be an especially big deal.

I think we should ignore this list. Its dumb.

• 1 month later...

The criteria being used to establish what is a global city is highly subjective. Europe is vastly over-represented, and population or aggregate wealth does not seem to be an especially big deal.

I think we should ignore this list. Its dumb.

I disagree but I respect your candor.

London is good too. I've lived there, and it's still my favorite big city to visit.

I was disappointed in London. The mass transit is nice... but bars close at 11pm, the weather is crappy, everything is overpriced, and the food is revolting (seriously.. what do people in London eat?!?!).

Los Angeles also doesn't belong on this list. Sprawl (and traffic) worse than Houston with overpriced housing and some really bad areas. Also tons of fake people.

NYC and Paris are awesome.

Chicago is like Houston if you combined Downtown/Med Center/Galleria/Greenspoint together... then have endless suburbs w/ insane cold weather.

Archived