Big Changes in Public Radio

FilioScotia

It appears big changes are ahead for public radio in Houston. The University of Houston is making plans to purchase KTRU from Rice University for just under ten million dollars, change the call letters to KUHC, and move it into the same studios with KUHF Radio. The plan is to put all news and NPR programming on KUHF 88.7 FM, and put classical music and arts programs on KUHC 91.7 FM.

They haven't announced a timetable for this change, but it's going to take well into next year for all these changes to be made. As someone who worked at KUHF for many years, and retired just recently, I can testify that things move very slowly there. I will be surprised if this brave new world comes to pass before the end of 2011.

When the change is finally complete, this will resolve one of KUHF's longest running problems: trying to keep two very different audience groups happy. There are a lot of people in Houston who would listen to NPR programs 24/7 if it were available, and they've complained long and loudly for years about the paucity of NPR programs on KUHF. It appears KUHF is going to grant their wish.

At the same time, there are those who love the classical music, and they've complained long and loudly for years that they don't get enough of it on KUHF, and that KUHF should be all classical 24/7. These people will also get their wish. Glory hallelujah !

KUHF is now taking a bold step in the direction of making both those groups happy. It's true that KUHF does now offer all of NPR's daytime programs on its HD2 channel, but almost nobody listens to HD radio because HD radios are so expensive, and those who have them complain that their reception is so spotty and uneven.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I think KUHF's large investment in HD technology has been a huge waste of money. It's just not working out the way they hoped. Yes there are people who listen to the HD2 programs, but not in numbers large enough to justify the cost. In fact, most of the people who DO LISTEN to the HD channels are listening on the station's website.

Unless HD technology is improved drastically, and the cost of receiving it comes down drastically, I don't think it has a future. It will end up on the scrap heap, along with other gimmicks that didn't work out. Remember AM stereo? And Quadriphonic Sound?

It would appear that KUHF managers are finally accepting this reality. Dividing the news and music formats between two FM stations is the most logical, the most simple and most workable solution. I applaud them for having the courage to make this decision and move forward with it. Somewhere, Friar William of Ockham is smiling.

Here's a link to this story in today's Chron. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7156105.html

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Rice:

Rice University officials announced today that the University of Houston System plans to buy the radio tower, FM frequency and license used by Rice University station KTRU, which will continue to operate online at www.ktru.org.

The sale must be approved by the UH Board of Regents at its meeting today.

“KTRU will continue to serve its loyal listeners with its unique student-managed programming through the Internet,” said Vice President for Public Affairs Linda Thrane. "And money from the sale will go toward programs and facilities that benefit our students and campus community."

In conversations with students and others, Rice leaders have identified several priority areas, she said. That includes helping pay for the new East Servery, which is adjacent to Lovett and Will Rice residential colleges on the south campus, scholarships, improvements to recreational facilities and enhancements to the online station and other student media. A student committee will be formed to provide input.

Recent Arbitron reports have shown that the 50,000-watt station’s audience is often too small to be measured. Arbitron is a research firm that measures network and local radio audiences to compile ratings for the radio industry. Most college radio stations around the country have less than 5,000 watts, and since the late '90s a number have added the online format. A report by Arbitron and Edison Research indicated that last year approximately 42 million people listened to online radio weekly -- twice the number who did in 2005.

http://www.media.rice.edu/media/NewsBot.asp?MODE=VIEW&ID=14643rice.edu.

Hmmm, not liking this move. My own selfish reason is because I'm a big fan of a couple KTRU shows. Luckily they'll still

maintain an online format. I like that Rice radio's content is created and managed largely by students. On the one hand, I wouldn't begrudge UH adding more classical programming. I listen to the drive time NPR news shows and enjoy them, but I'm not at all interested in seeing them expand only to buy more NPR content. Dollars to donuts they end up having to fill time with multiple airings of Prairie Home Companion. Bleh. The lack of student-created content and student management on both their TV and radio station is unfortunate for a University with communications and fine arts schools. Especially for public stations in a city the size of Houston where sources of local arts and cultural programming are virtually limitless.

Maybe we'll be pleasantly surpised and UH will do something interesting rather than fill the time with off-the-shelf stuff.

NPR (and Pacifica) produces some good shows, but I want more local presence in my public radio, not less.

First heard about this possibility about a month ago. KTRU through the years has really gone down the tubes. Back in the 70's and 80's it was incredible. I even bought a special antenna just so I could pick it up. (It had a very weak signal back then). It filled a void for rock and roll music that was never heard on commercial radio. Now even Rice students don't listen to it. It's pretty much a joke on campus and I don't think anyone will miss it except the 10 people that actually do listen to it.

I do hope KUHF keeps it's Saturday night format of Pulling Strings and Thistle & Shamrock. I love those two shows. 

Consensus seems to be KTRU should maintain an online web stream and a 5,000 watt local transmitter that could be heard throughout the Rice campus and Village area. Having a 50,000 watt license is not economically efficient for a station that only appeals to college students, the terminally hip and other misfits ("Get offa my lawn" ™)

HPR's press release.

"We now have the cultural assets to deliver NPR news, public affairs and classical programming to Houston 24 hours a day, placing the University of Houston in the company of an elite group of
Tier One
universities," [Chancellor] Khator said.

You knew she had to go there.^_^

I am intrigued to see how HPR maps out its new formatting. I believe it will enhance Houston radio.

I am a bit pensive about the loss of KTRU. I realize that the technology of today offers different media for broadcast and for listener access. However, back in the day, it was a station like KTRU which exposed me to the stuff that was not mainstream. That exposure was significant to me.

A 'Tier 1' university with graduate degrees in comm, RTF and fine/dramatic arts should have student-run

media first, and external programming and management second.

The worst part of this is, with 2 stations to fund, the beg-a-thons are going to be twice as insufferable. Is that even possible?

For anyone who likes Ch. 13, here is an old-time news update with Dave Ward back on April 25, 1989:

This KTRK news update video with the enlarged Texas flag behind the Circle 13 logo debuted in 1986 (either in the spring or summer of that year I'm not sure).

A 'Tier 1' university with graduate degrees in comm, RTF and fine/dramatic arts should have student-run

media first, and external programming and management second.

The worst part of this is, with 2 stations to fund, the beg-a-thons are going to be twice as insufferable. Is that even possible?

Most large college media departments no longer thing of television, or especially radio, as "media" anymore. I know schools that have eliminated dozens of broadcasting, writing, and journalism classes in their media departments in the last five years. Instead, they're teaching the kids how to video blog and use Twitter and Facebook, as if those are skills that an employer looks for (they aren't.)

Oh, and FWIW -- Bring back K-Arts!

I'm not so sure about that. They already are running a bulk of the programming on their two HD stations. They pay for the programs according to the size of the market. With greater accessibility, they could actually achieve a more efficient funding with listeners who just want news/commentary or just want arts/culture or want either on demand. There may be an opportunity to maximize grants, as well.

They could also draw listeners from other news stations. However, many of these stations tend to cater to those who say "oh yeah!" to those who uphold their opinion...like they're listening to a good jazz sax solo. Still, I noted that Nandita Berry opposed UH's purchase of the station. (http://blogs.houston..._approve_pu.php)

if a little ktru-ness were honored in the new station, i'd be behind that completely!

Don't count on that. KUHF will continue to be KUHF, and KUHC will become its twin. KUHF will have News and NPR, KUHC will have classical music. You won't notice any difference.

Some people here think student-run media is a good thing. Student-run media is fine, if you don't care whether people listen or not. The truth is that almost nobody outside a handful of Rice students and young alumni listen to KTRU. I say "young alumni" because at some point, adults out-grow the campus radio they listened to in school.

KUHF is the huge success it is precisely because it is not run by students and volunteers, and it does not program to the campus community. KUHF is a viable radio station that's competing head-to-head for ratings and revenue with every other station in town, and its audience is phenomenal. It's accomplishing this because it's aiming its programming to the general public, and it's doing it extremely well.

With the largest full time News Department in town, KUHF is now -- officially -- the only "News-Talk" radio station in Houston. KTRH has abdicated that title. KUHF has achieved this because it has a full time news staff made up of paid radio professionals with many years of experience in commercial and public radio.

The only students at KUHF are carefully selected interns learning from the pros how to cover, write and report radio news. And their News managers have a knack for picking very talented and committed young interns who are going to have a future in the radio business. In fact, many of KUHF's interns have moved on to full time radio jobs around the country.

And those people pushing a petition to stop the sale of KTRU, are they serious? Do they actually think a petition will change the Rice Regents' mind? Most discouraging is the fact that more than 800 people have signed it.

Hmmm, not liking this move. My own selfish reason is because I'm a big fan of a couple KTRU shows. Luckily they'll still

maintain an online format. I like that Rice radio's content is created and managed largely by students. On the one hand, I wouldn't begrudge UH adding more classical programming. I listen to the drive time NPR news shows and enjoy them, but I'm not at all interested in seeing them expand only to buy more NPR content. Dollars to donuts they end up having to fill time with multiple airings of Prairie Home Companion. Bleh.

Well in all fairness NPR does have additional programming throughout the day that doesn't make it into Houston. That said, I take your point that multiple airings of "Prairie Home Companion" would drive anyone to madness.

Well in all fairness NPR does have additional programming throughout the day that doesn't make it into Houston. That said, I take your point that multiple airings of "Prairie Home Companion" would drive anyone to madness.

KUHF does carry most of NPR's entire daily schedule. Morning Edition and ATC on 88.7 FM, Diane Rehm, Fresh Air and Talk of the Nation on HD2. Only two programs are not heard, right now. On Point and On The Media. I think we can expect both those programs to join the schedule once KUHF goes "all news", and the music is moved to the new station.

This might be a shock to some people, but NPR isn't the only public radio network out there. There's a bunch of them. KUHF buys most of its programs from NPR, but some of its most popular programs come from American Public Media and Public Radio International. APM produces A Prairie Home Companion, Writer's Almanac, Market Place, Performance Today, Pipe Dreams, Saint Paul Sunday, and some others. PRI produces This American Life, Living on Earth, The World, BBC Newshour, BBC World Have Your Say, Bob Edwards Weekend, and some others. And don't forget Latino USA and the BBC, both of which are carried on the HD3 channel. All those networks produce more than enough programs to fill out a 24/7 program schedule.

As for repeats of APHC, that's been done for years. I share your disdain for that program, but a lot of people out there seem to like it. For years the station was besieged with complaints from listeners unable to catch the "live" broadcast at 5pm on Saturday, so, for the benefit of those people, they started repeating that broadcast at noon on Sunday. It's called "responding to your listeners." What a concept.

I think it's probable that at least some of the "undated" feature oriented daytime programs could also be repeated overnight for people who sleep days and work nights. It's worth remembering that millions of people fall into that category.

(***I suppose they will have to ramp up the fundraising even more, now that they'll be buying more content from NPR and maybe APM.***)

As for fears the fundraising effort will ramp up, KUHF has actually been "ramping down" its semi-annual on-air campaigns in recent years, and raising the goal at the same time. It's now a million dollars, and it's had no trouble making and beating that goal. We can expect the goal to increase even more with the addition of another station, but I don't think the on-air campaigns will change noticeably.

For several years now, KUHF has been raising a sizable portion of its funding outside the on-air campaigns, focusing on people and companies who can make large donations. Gold Circle Contributors. As we all read in the paper, all of the $9.5 million dollars needed to buy KTRU will come from private donations. A lot of them.

KUHF does carry most of NPR's entire daily schedule. Morning Edition and ATC on 88.7 FM, Diane Rehm, Fresh Air and Talk of the Nation on HD2. Only two programs are not heard, right now. On Point and On The Media. I think we can expect both those programs to join the schedule once KUHF goes "all news", and the music is moved to the new station.

Yeah, but not everyone has HD radios.

Yeah, but not everyone has HD radios.

You are correct, but a lot of people do have PC's, and they can and do listen to the full schedule of NPR programs on the KUHF website. I have retired to East Texas, but I listen to Fresh Air and Talk of the Nation during the day online. I can't take more than 5 minutes of Diane Rehm.

It is true that not many people have HD radios because they are so expensive. 50 to a hundred dollars depending on the make. You also need an antenna. TV rabbit ears work well, but even then the reception often leaves a lot to be desired. But I've been told that's why large numbers of people listen to KUHF HD programs online. That's why I don't think HD radio has a future at KUHF. Who needs it when you can listen on the Internet?

I predict when KUHF finally has news programs on one station and music on the other sometime in 2012, and both stations are functioning as hoped on all cylinders, they'll drop HD and file it away under Bad Memories.

Did we completely forget about KTSU????? They are jazz mostly, but they also air NPR and PRI programs.

Yes. What s/he said. When discussing the Houston public radio landscape it's important to remember KTSU. "Jazz in all its Colors."

I could be wrong, and please correct me if I misremember.

My memory of the history of "fine arts" radio in Houston since 1980 was that there was once:

A Classical Station: KLEF 94.5, commercial, with ads for high-end retailers like Cadillac dealers. Local radio personalities like John Proffitt and Ira J. Black worked there.

A Jazz Station: KUHF 88.7, public, with a strong commitment to jazz and public radio programs.

This was before a lot of the more famous current programs like This American Life.

A Radical Station: KPFT 90.1. Proud of its hippie anti-establishment cred, home to folk music and a lot of specialized international music shows as well as minority-themed shows.

A couple of "college stations." Run by students, not really very powerful, playing whatever the students were interested in. KTRU 91.7 and KTSU 90.1

By the mid-80s KLEF was dead; it's absentee owners impatient with its tiny audience and equally tiny ad revenues. If I recall correctly, some local devotees got the rights to the call letters and played a non-DJ classical jukebox on a different frequency for a little while (this would have been about the time that CDs had become universal so this was fairly easy to do.) You all know what's been on 94.5 since then; it's a little jarring to old-timers like me.

KLEF's owners gave the KLEF classical music library to KUHF and this prompted the switch to almost entirely classical music for KUHF. Again, this would have been 1987 or so. I remember that the late Bob Claypool, longtime jazz critic for Houston newspapers, wrote a blistering editorial attacking this move, saying it was tantamount to telling jazz fans to "move back to the back of the bus."

I am pretty sure that KUHF gave their jazz library to KTSU and this solidified KTSU's focus on jazz. This is the part, however, that I am least familiar with.

This takes us to about 1988 or so. Local philanthropist Mike Stude decided to create a commercial classical station similar to what KLEF had been. They sought out upscale advertisers and made a big effort to play music at times when KUHF was playing their spoken public radio programs. They also had an extremely conservative approach to selecting classical music and this did not always go over well with the city's classical music community. They made a big effort to record the Houston Symphony and to present other local performers. I knew most of their staff personally. It was their desire for a more powerful transmitter which caused them to fund the transmitter move and upgrade for KTRU. At the time it looked like a win-win situation.

Even with the best of intentions, though, KRTS couldn't make the money work and they finally pulled the plug in 2004. With the sale of the station to Washington, DC-based Radio One, that was the end for the last locally-owned commercial station in Houston. (according to the Houston Business Journal at the time.)

Through it all, KPFT and KTRU soldiered on, sounding not all that different today than they did in 1980.

Sorry for any errors, if any of you can correct me please do (brucesw?)

A little off-topic:

Isn't KUHF suppose to be celebrating a big anniversary this year? I have not heard much about it overall, and it was not mentioned in their press release yesterday. Did tier one aspirations smote 60 years of history? I'm not a PR guru, but it seems something is missing.

A little off-topic:

Isn't KUHF suppose to be celebrating a big anniversary this year? I have not heard much about it overall, and it was not mentioned in their press release yesterday. Did tier one aspirations smote 60 years of history? I'm not a PR guru, but it seems something is missing.

Clearly you haven't been paying much attention to KUHF. The station's 60th anniversary HAS BEEN a very big deal all year. There have been several large station events -- including a big anniversary dinner -- celebrating the fact that KUHF was the first public radio station in the United States and it's still on the air 60 years later.

The station's website http://app1.kuhf.org/main.php prominently displays a sharp looking 60th anniversary logo, which is also emblazoned everywhere it can be emblazoned, including T-shirts, coffee mugs and a lot of other stuff that's given away at promotional events the station holds around town.

The Spring Membership Campaign in April was built around the anniversary. 60 years and counting. We need your help to keep a good thing going. I'm sure the Fall Campaign in October will also mention the 60th anniversary a few times. And look for the station to pull out all the stops on the actual anniversary of the first broadcast on November 6th.

In the words of Foghorn Leghorn, pay attention son.

Archived