Elevated buses in China

Just came across this article on Abcnews, basically they plan on having a bus going OVER a roadway that is capable of carrying 1400+ people at a time.

The construction is supposed to start later this year and go operational with 90 buses in 2012.

Looking at the rendering they have on the site, I believe that this system is vulnerable to damage of the roadway FROM an accident.

It will be interesting to follow this, though.

Dude. This has so much potential to fail.

It is going to mess with drivers' minds when their perspective on speed changes as the sides and overhead around them moves forward. They can easily test this with a video game, I bet they would see some odd reactions even then.

good point. I didn't think of that.

my issue continues to be with accidents below or ahead of the bus. If it can be assured the pathways are safe from incursions by severe accidents onto it's path, then it shouldn't be a problem, otherwise, it can be a serious distraction to drivers until they get used to it.

It is going to mess with drivers' minds when their perspective on speed changes as the sides and overhead around them moves forward. They can easily test this with a video game, I bet they would see some odd reactions even then.

Considering the current pace of traffic in many Chinese cities, I expect the drivers will have plenty of time to adjust to any change in perspective. Or, more likely, the bus will go by *whoosh* while the traffic below crawls along.

But good for the Chinese for trying something new. No one ever made a discovery by doing things as they've always been done.

I do wonder how its capacity compares with having regular train service instead.

Archived