Memorial City North At I-10 & Gessner Rd.

halenstone

This corner used to have Cornbreads, (as nice as it was to have a sports bar down the street from me some of the folks that went there where kinda thuggish), Schlotzkiz (spelling?), CiCi's Pizza, and the Asian Supermarket. It's all gone now!

There is a sign up for "Cherry Companies", who I guess is either the Demo company or the General Contractor.

I'm wondering if anyone has a clue as to what will be constructed here?

• Like 1

I was dissapointed at first. Really wanted a Buffalo Wild Wings or something there. But now that I think about it, another med center means more people that will need apartments, and there are some "shady" apartments on Gessner and Westview (just west of Gessner), that would be nice for my property value if they where torn down to build some nice apartments to rent to the medical staff. And more people means they'll need more places to eat, and eventually drink during happy hour.

Hmm, I sure would like to open a bar on gessner. A happy hour bar that opens at 3pm and closes at 10pm...man those are my dream work hours!

So is the Uncle Bob's Self Storage gonna remain or is it getting demoed too?

• Like 1

It is my understanding it will be medical office bldgs like stated above, however they wont be built for some time. The developer tore down the existing structures to reduce the taxable vaule of the property while it sits waiting for construction.

I imagine the pic posted above is the poster's way of saying s/he imagines the property becoming an empty, unleased strip center like so many around town right now.

• Like 1

Does anyone know what happened to the Chick Fil A that was supposed to be built in the area? I thought there was going to be one at Bunker Hill and I10.

This is not 100% realiable, but one of the workers at the Memorial City Mall location told me that the "suits" thought there was too much competition built there already. They get plenty of visits at the mall and they don't want to have one in the mall and one so close outside the mall too.

I see the reasoning. Chick Fil A has kind of a cult following, like White Castle. I'll drive out of my way for a White Castle if it's about 5 miles away...I'll also cross the freeway and go in the mall if I REALLY want Chick Fil A. And if the mall is PACKED like it is on the weekends, I'll go all the way to the Westheimer location.

BTW, anyone try Sushi Pop on Bunker Hill @ I-10? I think I might hit that tonight.

• Like 2

What, pray tell, is Sushi-pop? It sounds like frozen fish on a stick.

From the same culture that brought you Basashi Ice (horse ice cream), Shirako (fish ejaculate), and Ichiban (lipstick for men)...

A Sushi-Pop is when a Japanese woman an a uniform spanks your bare ass with a fresh fish prior to its preparation as sushi. ...or so one might hypothesize.

Edited by TheNiche

This is not 100% realiable, but one of the workers at the Memorial City Mall location told me that the "suits" thought there was too much competition built there already. They get plenty of visits at the mall and they don't want to have one in the mall and one so close outside the mall too.

I see the reasoning. Chick Fil A has kind of a cult following, like White Castle. I'll drive out of my way for a White Castle if it's about 5 miles away...I'll also cross the freeway and go in the mall if I REALLY want Chick Fil A. And if the mall is PACKED like it is on the weekends, I'll go all the way to the Westheimer location.

BTW, anyone try Sushi Pop on Bunker Hill @ I-10? I think I might hit that tonight.

Thanks for the info. Makes sense, but I think the area could support both a mall location and a freestanding store. I love Chick Fil A!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sushi-pop is not open yet.

The wife and I tried SushiPop on their opening day and thought it was a big letdown. For the price, I expected it to be much better. Great looking place though.

Hopefully they are just working out the kinks and will improve over time.

Until then, Koto on Westheimer near Wilcrest will continue to get my sushi money.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I talked with someone that would know a few months ago and was told that they will be putting in mixed use like they are at Gateway Memorial City.   I asked when -- they wouldn't say but only said that it wouldn't be a good idea to buy a storage unit right now.

• Like 2

just talk to somebody that was finishing construction in the area. He said a tower will be at least a 25 stories. He didn't give a date on when it will start, but he is already contracted to work on it.

don't doubt that's what he said but i question the accuracy of his statement... 25+ stories is a very large project to fly under the radar.

i've heard very substantiated rumors of some very large deals further west though...

• Like 1

don't doubt that's what he said but i question the accuracy of his statement... 25+ stories is a very large project to fly under the radar.

i've heard very substantiated rumors of some very large deals further west though...

Care to share those rumors ?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...