Memorial City North At I-10 & Gessner Rd.

halenstone

• 1 year later...

Rumor is MetroNational Corp has been working on another highrise at the northwest corner of Gessner and I-10. Plan has been in the works for about a year now. The idea has been to match the Memorial Hermann tower in height... possible twin tower with less stucco looking material. We'll see if we get any more details in the next several months.

• Like 5

We've all been waiting paitently for some news! From what I can tell Metro National likes to focus on one memorial city project at a time. Currently its the AIr Liquide building, next could be this site or the hotel Zaza site.

what about the Dillards site redevelopment? metronational has quite a few plans floating around for Memorial City..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm assuming this is the site for the project, right?

attachicon.gifSubdivisionPlatPDF_Memorial City Gatway Replat No 3 - 52103 - 141117.pdf

Is this a new document? This section is basically built out already. The next phase would be north of I-10, but they could surprise me and try to fit something else here as well.

• Like 1

Here is some info sent out a few months ago about the area next to the lot.

"In an effort to improve drainage, mitigate flood damage and relieve traffic flow, MetroNational and TIRZ 17 are working together to redesign the Conrad Sauer Detention Basin, which will not only increase its capacity, but its efficiency.  This project will remove an eyesore from the community, improve mobility and help stabilize the properties in the immediate area, while also providing much needed green space with walking and cycling pathways, landscaping, wet bottom and grassy park areas. MetroNational will give right-of-way for the construction of a new road to provide access from Gessner to the detention pond and will donate additional land to increase size of the detention facility. The land being given to the TIRZ is nearly 2 acres and is valued at $4 million.  Soon, Spring Branch will have a central meeting space and “town square” in which to gather and do such things as take in a Forth-of-July fireworks celebration as a community."

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/memorial/news/agreement-would-let-metronational-extend-street-detention-basin/article_71af95a7-c173-504d-9238-83ca5e1ee464.html

• Like 5

• 5 months later...

A family member actually worked on the design of that retention pond. It's a pretty impressive design; from what I can remember, the depth of the pond needed to be able to hold an enormous capacity of water due to some poor drainage flaws in Houston's early days. This, along with a low water table meant they had to dig pretty deep...almost 1000 ft. 3000 piles were drilled deep down.

It looks just like any other ordinary ditch.

Edited by BigFootsSocks
  • Like 1

just talk to somebody that was finishing construction in the area. He said a tower will be at least a 25 stories. He didn't give a date on when it will start, but he is already contracted to work on it.

Lot B will be a new tower.

Can you confirm or deny this two year old statement from Ricco?

• Like 1

Among the goofy decisions in the Katy Freeway design was putting a below grade intersection directly across Rummel Creek's channel (at West Belt).  It originally didn't have any detention ponds around it at all, just a routinely overwhelmed pumping station.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

http://swamplot.com/whats-going-into-metronationals-energy-gateway-district-across-i-10-from-its-death-star-hq/2015-07-01/

1055-gessner-demo-above.jpg

METRONATIONAL APPEARS to have concrete plans for the new development it’s putting together for the 24-acre corner of Gessner Rd. and the Katy Fwy. feeder directly across I-10 from the company’s distinctiveheadquarters: It’s already signed up building materials company Cemex USA to become the lead tenant in a new office building intended for a portion of the site, a source tells Swamplot. The company will be leasing around 80,000 sq. ft. of space in the Energy Gateway District.

Cemex is currently leasing space in the Memorial Hermann Tower at 929 Gessner; the new lease with MetroNational will be an expansion, according to the source.

• Like 1

MetroNational announced plans Tuesday to build a 240,000-square-foot office building in Memorial City on an 18-acre tract, as part of the company’s long-term vision to redevelop the area.

Mexico-based Cemex, which has had an office in Memorial City since 2005, will anchor the development as the building’s first tenant with 80,000 square feet on the building’s second and third levels.  The Houston location will be the cement and building materials company’s U.S. headquarters. The six-floor building will be located at the northwest corner of Gessner Road and the Katy Freeway at 10100 Katy Freeway, directly across from Memorial Hermann Tower.

“The northwest corner is MetroNational’s newest commercial development and the first step in expanding Memorial City north of I-10,” said Jason Johnson, president of MetroNational, in a statement. “Similar to other Memorial City office developments, this building’s proximity to Memorial Hermann, Memorial City Mall, the Westin, and many restaurants will attract employees looking for great amenities.”

The building will feature 40,000-square-foot floor plates. The first floor will include 15,000 square feet of retail. Amenities will include 24-hour security, card key access and connections to other Memorial City locations via shuttle service.

“Cemex is excited to continue our relationship with MetroNational as construction begins on our new U.S. headquarters.  We look forward to creating an inspiring, state-of-the art space to better serve our customers and our employees,” Cemex USA president Karl Watson, Jr. said in a statement.

The project is slated to break ground in fall 2015 and open in fall 2016.

10100-Katy-Freeway-in-Memorial-City-Rend

• Like 5

I had higher expectations but I trust you Triton

Think I stated this already, but if it's any reassurance, sounds like Swamplot is hearing the same general things. It's just too early to publish anything at this point. 

• Like 2