ESPN Chooses Fort Worth For Super Bowl Base

• 3 weeks later...

I hope the people in Fort Worth make a big deal of this. They deserve it.

Funny that the biggest entertainment event of the year is happening in north Texas, and Dallas is snubbed two ways. I have visions of a debutante all dressed up for the ball, but left sitting on the stairs crying.

Or maybe it's just really late and I'm too tired to post of HAIF.

Funny that the biggest entertainment event of the year is happening in north Texas, and Dallas is snubbed two ways. I have visions of a debutante all dressed up for the ball, but left sitting on the stairs crying.

LOL Great image

Aside from the fact that the executive producer who made the decision is a former Houstonian, her reasoning made perfect sense. ESPN will broadcast from a set in the middle of whatever location they chose for the entire week. They very much need a crowd to add to the appearance of anticipation of the Super Bowl. While smaller, Downtown Fort Worth is more attractive, has more restaurants and bars, and more pedestrians than any of the locations they scouted in Dallas. It simply looks more lively in Sundance Square, which is what ESPN wants to appear on your TV screen.

Having spent several years treading on those brick sidewalks, I couldn't be happier for Fort Worth. Dallas may look shinier, but Fort Worth feels more comfortable.

That was a perfect analogy! :lol:

Cute, but hardly an accurate analogy. Other than the game itself, the biggest event, the NFL Experience, is in downtown Dallas the week of the big game. Dallas is benefiting very nicely from the hoopla, especially considering that the city invested nothing in the stadium. The fact is that events and parties are planned all over DFW - there is plenty of $$ for everyone. Let's hope it doesn't snow that week.

And good for FT Worth with the ESPN thing - Sundance Square is perfect for what the network is looking for.

Cute, but hardly an accurate analogy. Other than the game itself, the biggest event, the NFL Experience, is in downtown Dallas the week of the big game. Dallas is benefiting very nicely from the hoopla, especially considering that the city invested nothing in the stadium. The fact is that events and parties are planned all over DFW - there is plenty of $$ for everyone. Let's hope it doesn't snow that week.

And good for FT Worth with the ESPN thing - Sundance Square is perfect for what the network is looking for.

Having put on one of these shindigs ourselves, Houstonians know the benefits, and while the NFL Experience and parties are nice for those that enjoy those things, the real benefit, if there is any, comes from exposure. In this sense, Fort Worth won big, as their downtown will be shown to the nation all week before the game. Dallas did not necessarily lose so much as Fort Worth won.

Yup, this shows that Dallas's "hogging the spolight days" have come to an end. No amount of overbuilding pretty skyscrapers, condos, and landmark "bridges to nowhere" is going to change that.

• The title was changed to ESPN Chooses Fort Worth For Super Bowl Base

Archived