Traffic Signal Work At 11th St. And Heights Blvd.

heights

I noticed that they are working on the traffic signals at 11th and Heights. They've put in large new wooden poles that I originally thought were going to be temporary, but now I think these might be new permanent poles. I can't imagine that they would go from steel poles with steel arms holding the lights to wood poles with the lights hanging from wires, but that's how it appears. Does anyone have any info or insight on this?

It could be the start of the reconstruction of 11th... I'm not sure of all the details but do remember seeing the plans when we were going through the Yale reconstruction debacle (which ended with them going to retop the road again and reassess in 2016(I think?)) . Someone else can chime in and add more, or this might give you a start to see if the construction is starting for 11th.

D

I noticed that they are working on the traffic signals at 11th and Heights. They've put in large new wooden poles that I originally thought were going to be temporary, but now I think these might be new permanent poles. I can't imagine that they would go from steel poles with steel arms holding the lights to wood poles with the lights hanging from wires, but that's how it appears. Does anyone have any info or insight on this?

Wood poles usually mean they'll be there temporarily. The only traffic light installation I've seen remain for a long time with wood poles is at the UH Entrance and Calhoun, those poles have been there a good 11-13 years now.

• 6 months later...

While the initial phase of this work was unpleasant enough, they've now reached a new standard of inconvenience. They made a lane switch in the last couple of days on the Blvd and it is almost impossible to navigate safely. At night coming northbound, it looks like the road is entirely closed. I think it's only a matter of time before there's a serious accident.

I drove down it this weekend, probably before they had switched lane configurations. I'm going to keep watching this thread and won't return to the Heights until construction is concluded (partly for my own convenience, but partly to ease congestion).

You needn't take such drastic measures. It isn't bad. I live a block off of 11th. While 1 lane is slightly slower than 2, it isn't like we have gridlock or anything. The switched lanes at Heights is probably to replace the intersection. That shouldn't take more than a week, based on the Pecors and North Main construction schedules.

You needn't take such drastic measures. It isn't bad. I live a block off of 11th. While 1 lane is slightly slower than 2, it isn't like we have gridlock or anything. The switched lanes at Heights is probably to replace the intersection. That shouldn't take more than a week, based on the Pecors and North Main construction schedules.

I agree, it's really not bad! My son goes to school on Wirt Road. With Studewood exit closed, I pick him up around 4 and we come home via TC Jester to 11th. It's not bad at all- barely takes longer than it did when we would come all the way to Studewood. 11th Street businesses need all the support they can get during this construction!

I don't know, maybe it was the time of day, the route I chose, or that I was completely unprepared for road work in the area (I didn't think to look in this thread cause it only mentioned signal work, not the entire street being replaced).

I wasn't prepared that I couldn't make a left onto yale, among other things, it was frustrating. probably since I know about it, I can plan a route that goes down a different street.

I don't know, maybe it was the time of day, the route I chose, or that I was completely unprepared for road work in the area (I didn't think to look in this thread cause it only mentioned signal work, not the entire street being replaced).

I wasn't prepared that I couldn't make a left onto yale, among other things, it was frustrating. probably since I know about it, I can plan a route that goes down a different street.

The no left turns anywhere thing is pretty frustrating, I admit. Just as an FYI, cops have been out ticketing people for making lefts at the various intersections, especially Heights at 11th.

The no left turns anywhere thing is pretty frustrating, I admit. Just as an FYI, cops have been out ticketing people for making lefts at the various intersections, especially Heights at 11th.

Excellent, that means I don't have to continue working on the Star Wars based blaster I was going to mount on my car to get the left turning morons to keep going straight so the rest of us have a chance to get through the light in one cycle.

Excellent, that means I don't have to continue working on the Star Wars based blaster I was going to mount on my car to get the left turning morons to keep going straight so the rest of us have a chance to get through the light in one cycle.

ha, that's why the first thing I do to any car I own is get obscenely loud horns.

aside from not using my turn signals religiously and using speed limits as more of a guideline, I do tend to follow the rules like no turning, or one way streets, or things of that nature, it's just good manners.

I'm not afraid to use the upgraded horns to make peoples ears bleed when I am inconvenienced by their law breaking either.

The other day someone was taking a left on Studewood and it was when school was letting out, so there was a west bound traffic from Hogg. I laid on my horn and my 4 year old proceeded to yell "NOOOOO LEFT TURNS" from the back seat. It was totally wrong and totally awesome at the same time.

ha, that's why the first thing I do to any car I own is get obscenely loud horns.

aside from not using my turn signals religiously and using speed limits as more of a guideline, I do tend to follow the rules like no turning, or one way streets, or things of that nature, it's just good manners.

I'm not afraid to use the upgraded horns to make peoples ears bleed when I am inconvenienced by their law breaking either.

Not quite sure I follow your logic (which is to say, NOT QUITE SURE I FOLLOW YOUR LOGIC!!!)

Not everyone is involved in your traffic dispute. Other motorists, and people who live close by will merely be annoyed.

Not quite sure I follow your logic (which is to say, NOT QUITE SURE I FOLLOW YOUR LOGIC!!!)

Not everyone is involved in your traffic dispute. Other motorists, and people who live close by will merely be annoyed.

ha, yeah, sorry, the loud horns are for the benefit of the person doing the illegal activity that is inconveniencing me, not for the other people who are simply in the area.

• The title was changed to Traffic Signal Work At 11th St. And Heights Blvd.

Archived