Brays Bayou Master Plan

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I keep think that the craziest thing about Corona is that people will leave the stay at home order/quarantine and half the road and bridge projects in the city will have been completed or have substantial amount of work completed. Brays especially. This bridge, and the bridge going towards Braeswood and the retention are all flying. 

• Like 7

I was thinking about that - now would be the perfect time to trench 59 where the light rail crosses, since passenger volumes are way down so a bus bridge is more feasible

Also traffic on 59 is almost non-existent 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, zaphod said:

I realize there is probably a reason why it wouldn't work, but I wish they would get rid of the concrete channel. But I'm the sure the bayou would naturally want to start eroding and forming bends.

I would definitely push for that. Same with White Oak. There are probably plenty of ways to strategically place bends to create a more natural flow. The issue is who would you ask to leave their property as it would take a lot of property to put in the bends, and then the overflow areas for when a flood happens.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Luminare said:

I would definitely push for that. Same with White Oak. There are probably plenty of ways to strategically place bends to create a more natural flow. The issue is who would you ask to leave their property as it would take a lot of property to put in the bends, and then the overflow areas for when a flood happens.

TIRZ 5 has plans to remove the concrete in White Oak Bayou. It's part of their next major project. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Luminare said:

Maybe one approach would be to build a shear wall along both sides of the bayou's allowed corridor, and then dig down lower around the channel. Then it could meander within that area but then not get out from beyond that?

I am always curious how deep that main channel actually is during drier periods. It could be quite deep at the centerline, but in some bayous on the west side of town it looks like a puddle at best. Without channelization I imagine it would be shallower, which could be problematic for rapid on demand drainage capacity if it turned into a swamp

Edited by zaphod
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

Are they planning on removing the concrete?

That was my understanding from both the previous discussions here, and the photos.  I'm sure I could be wrong, however as I am not intimately familiar with this bayou and trail.  At this point I hope I'm right.  I'm sure someone will correct me on here if I'm mistaken.

• Like 2

I'm not aware of any plans to remove the lining on Brays. I think someone mentioned that they are going to remove it on white oak.

I'd assume, if it is successfully removed there without causing more problems than there are currently, we might see it done in other places.

see below:

On 4/27/2020 at 5:02 PM, SMU1213 said:

TIRZ 5 has plans to remove the concrete in White Oak Bayou. It's part of their next major project. 

I don't think there is a source for this, so (not that I don't trust you) if there isn't a source, this can probably be put in the rumor category of things that are going to happen?

Edited by samagon
  • Like 5

On 5/12/2020 at 12:40 PM, samagon said:

see below:

I don't think there is a source for this, so (not that I don't trust you) if there isn't a source, this can probably be put in the rumor category of things that are going to happen?

I found some information on-line that indicates that is definitely on TIRZ 5's to-do list or wish list, but I found no information indicating they have funding for it or a plan for funding it.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

Just now, samagon said:

thanks for the info guys, and no such plans for Brays bayou.

just want to make sure we as a group aren't unintentionally starting some random rumor :lol: 

While we don't want to spread false rumors, I think we can certainly all agree that they should remove the concrete from Brays Bayou anyway. We certainly can do that. Don't you agree?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Luminare said:

While we don't want to spread false rumors, I think we can certainly all agree that they should remove the concrete from Brays Bayou anyway. We certainly can do that. Don't you agree?

yup, but look at the post below, this is what I was commenting on. 

it would be great if all bayous in Houston were returned to a closer proximity of what they were originally.

I see so many birds in the concrete lined version of brays when I ride the bike paths and imagine what kind of amazing wildlife it could bring if it were natural again.

On 5/12/2020 at 10:47 AM, ArtNsf said:

That was my understanding from both the previous discussions here, and the photos.  I'm sure I could be wrong, however as I am not intimately familiar with this bayou and trail.  At this point I hope I'm right.  I'm sure someone will correct me on here if I'm mistaken.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...