Brays Bayou Master Plan

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Actually, that's a new scrap metal plant.

I think you're talking about the French company near Broadway. I'm talking about the one on the Brays just east of Mason Park.

Oh, didn't know about that one. North or south side of the bayou?
North, on the little bend on the map just above E. Erath St., a spot that definitely has a higher and better use in its future.

North, on the little bend on the map just above E. Erath St., a spot that definitely has a higher and better use in its future.

One would hope, but then I always figured that the 22 acres allocated to the new scrap metal yard would be put to far better use as a waterfront residential/entertainment complex. But apparently it is becoming extremely difficult to find any frontage on any navigable waterway, and these scrap yards can pay a high price for it.

• 1 month later...
Is the hike/bike trail concrete, asphalt, or is it a dirt trail?
concrete. and most would accomodate a car.
What is the truck in the first photo spraying? Some kind of insecticide for mosquitoes?
i believe it is spray on grass to prevent erosion. it usually roots fairly quickly

did i forget to mention there was a gate?

A gate? Phbbt! That's nothing. This is a place where we make our own onramps and offramps on the freeways (evidenced by little dirt paths across the esplanade leading from the freeway to the feeder road). But seriously, I've never known a hike and bike trail on a bayou to have a gate, is that to keep folks off after dark?

A gate? Phbbt! That's nothing. This is a place where we make our own onramps and offramps on the freeways (evidenced by little dirt paths across the esplanade leading from the freeway to the feeder road). But seriously, I've never known a hike and bike trail on a bayou to have a gate, is that to keep folks off after dark?

this trail has always had em. the ones i've seen with gates tend to be wider trails that can accomodate cars. guess they don't want any joy riders but county vehicles could use them for easier access.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
Will this bridge have any style, lighting, etc. or just another run of the mill concrete bridge?

I know this topic is pretty old, but construction has started on the bridge. The supports & middle section are built but not connected to either side yet. The interesting thing is that there is a concrete beam at each corner of the bridge that closely resembles the pillars at one of UH entrances:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Un...45_entrance.jpg

It also seems that Cambridge's bicycle lanes will continue across the bridge. The pdf linked on this page has a nice drafting of an overhead view of the bridge:

http://www.bikehouston.org/content/view/326/2/

I'll try getting over there with a camera. This bridge will actually be fairly unique as far as the area goes.

I read somewhere that most of the bridges will be replaced over Brays Bayou. These replacements are associated in drainage and bayou improvements. Apparently, the new bridges will be span bridges, replacing the ones that now obstruct water flow with their supports.

Yea, noticed the big decorative pillar on the east side of the bayou last week... this will definitely change up traffic flow in that area. It also provides a direct connection to Baylor's new hospital and MD Anderson/UT's research park.

I think they are cutting another road through, parallel to Fannin, south of the bayou... not sure what the street name is though.

I think they are cutting another road through, parallel to Fannin, south of the bayou... not sure what the street name is though.

Sounds like an extension of Selma or Cecil St, I've seen the work, but I can't remember which one it is. Those two streets run parallel to each other and to Fannin south of the bayou, AND, for pop culture references, both streets ironically have the same names of two "Simpsons" characters, not that anyone except for me would notice. :rolleyes:

The new Brays Bayou bridge that will connect Cambridge to Hermann Circle (I hear) is going to be 'fancy'. Hopefully, they'll add some park-like features around it. So, this should be the other grand entrance to the park. That's my speculation, but I can dream, can't I? If this is done, it would be much closer to Mosaic than the rest of the park.

Numerous famous people have always commented on the fabulous views from Zaza (When it was The Warwick) I know Bob Hope said it was his all time favorite in the USA. However the Mosaic will more than likely equal or surpass that statement. The fundraiser (we are at) at Mosaic was by the pool and that was spectacular. Felt like we were in San Diego or somewhere out of this world. No it wasnt the champagne either. :blush:

Mosaic is a masterpiece in the making (more buildings for me to worship) Ja!

I can hardly wait to see what that bridge will look like after competed that is. Any one have renderings, etc? Sneak previews?

PS, you can register for a tour too! Don't be bashful...

http://www.mosaichouston.com/

What bridge?

Sounds like an extension of Selma or Cecil St, I've seen the work, but I can't remember which one it is. Those two streets run parallel to each other and to Fannin south of the bayou, AND, for pop culture references, both streets ironically have the same names of two "Simpsons" characters, not that anyone except for me would notice. :rolleyes:

Given that Bertner turns into Cecil, without looking at things that would seem like the road they'd build through. Also some of the posted building permits for one of the projects on the UT-HSCH road that runs parallel to Fannin on the south side of OST used Bertner street addresses for the site.

But when you look at the satellite shots of the area, Selma would directly connect with that road and it look like it'd be much easier to get right of way for Selma than it would Cecil. At the moment they use Selma and the adjoining lots for parking for much of the construction going on in the med center.

See post #407 :)

On a side note, I wish Houston would have a contest for "Best New Designed Bridge". New topic!

Saw this bridge this weekend and had planned to mention it here. Up to this point it really does look like they are not cutting any corners in building it, which of course is a good thing in my eyes. Has anyone seen the final design?

UT is funding the Bertner St. South Extension. Bertner will cross S. Braeswood at Cecil St. and continue south until about St. Agnes St. From that point it will vear east around the new patient family housing apartments and cross OST approximately were Selma St. would cross if it had extended that far.

Saw this bridge this weekend and had planned to mention it here. Up to this point it really does look like they are not cutting any corners in building it, which of course is a good thing in my eyes. Has anyone seen the final design?

Not to hijack the Mosaic site for a bridge... Here's something I found on the bridge. Apparently, it will also have bike lanes.

http://www.bikehouston.org/files/cambridgebiketrails.pdf

Not to hijack the Mosaic site for a bridge... Here's something I found on the bridge. Apparently, it will also have bike lanes.

http://www.bikehouston.org/files/cambridgebiketrails.pdf

I still have problems picturing it. I'll by by that area on the weekend, so that might help. It looks like it is for motorized traffic, I assume this is the case?

I still have problems picturing it. I'll by by that area on the weekend, so that might help. It looks like it is for motorized traffic, I assume this is the case?

Yes, my understanding is that it will be just another bridge across the bayou. Well, not just another one. This one is somehow supposed to be fancy or something.

I think I'll ride by this weekend too.

FYI - Cambridge Bridge site is here http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...showtopic=11403