Jump to content

Brays Bayou Construction


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Luminare said:

 

I would definitely push for that. Same with White Oak. There are probably plenty of ways to strategically place bends to create a more natural flow. The issue is who would you ask to leave their property as it would take a lot of property to put in the bends, and then the overflow areas for when a flood happens.

 

Maybe one approach would be to build a shear wall along both sides of the bayou's allowed corridor, and then dig down lower around the channel. Then it could meander within that area but then not get out from beyond that?

 

I am always curious how deep that main channel actually is during drier periods. It could be quite deep at the centerline, but in some bayous on the west side of town it looks like a puddle at best. Without channelization I imagine it would be shallower, which could be problematic for rapid on demand drainage capacity if it turned into a swamp

Edited by zaphod
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Greenbriar Dr. bridge is open for traffic.

Article and map.  

Posted Images

11 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

Are they planning on removing the concrete?

 

That was my understanding from both the previous discussions here, and the photos.  I'm sure I could be wrong, however as I am not intimately familiar with this bayou and trail.  At this point I hope I'm right.  I'm sure someone will correct me on here if I'm mistaken.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not aware of any plans to remove the lining on Brays. I think someone mentioned that they are going to remove it on white oak.

 

I'd assume, if it is successfully removed there without causing more problems than there are currently, we might see it done in other places.

 

  see below:

On 4/27/2020 at 5:02 PM, SMU1213 said:

TIRZ 5 has plans to remove the concrete in White Oak Bayou. It's part of their next major project. 

 

I don't think there is a source for this, so (not that I don't trust you) if there isn't a source, this can probably be put in the rumor category of things that are going to happen?

Edited by samagon
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 12:40 PM, samagon said:

 

  see below:

 

I don't think there is a source for this, so (not that I don't trust you) if there isn't a source, this can probably be put in the rumor category of things that are going to happen?

 

I found some information on-line that indicates that is definitely on TIRZ 5's to-do list or wish list, but I found no information indicating they have funding for it or a plan for funding it.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, samagon said:

thanks for the info guys, and no such plans for Brays bayou.

 

just want to make sure we as a group aren't unintentionally starting some random rumor :lol: 

 

While we don't want to spread false rumors, I think we can certainly all agree that they should remove the concrete from Brays Bayou anyway. We certainly can do that. Don't you agree?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Luminare said:

 

While we don't want to spread false rumors, I think we can certainly all agree that they should remove the concrete from Brays Bayou anyway. We certainly can do that. Don't you agree?

 

yup, but look at the post below, this is what I was commenting on. 

 

it would be great if all bayous in Houston were returned to a closer proximity of what they were originally.

 

I see so many birds in the concrete lined version of brays when I ride the bike paths and imagine what kind of amazing wildlife it could bring if it were natural again.

 

On 5/12/2020 at 10:47 AM, ArtNsf said:

 

That was my understanding from both the previous discussions here, and the photos.  I'm sure I could be wrong, however as I am not intimately familiar with this bayou and trail.  At this point I hope I'm right.  I'm sure someone will correct me on here if I'm mistaken.

 

Edited by samagon
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/31/2020 at 11:52 AM, Triton said:

Is it open now? 

 

they have the poles up for the signals, but there are no signals out yet. they were working yesterday, and were doing some stuff on the ground. I was driving so I didn't get a good look.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2020 at 11:52 AM, Triton said:

Is it open now? 

It looked close to completion when I last rode by, but was surprised today to see them chipping away at the top and exposing the rebar beneath. Saw several pieces of removed rebar on the sidewalk. Talked with a guy who I assume might have been a QC and asked him what was going on. He basically said the contractor f....d up the road and they were having to replace portions of it. It's was supposed to have been completed on Nov. 1st. The contractor is going to lose their a.. on this IMHO. Low bidder hell.

HDyUAZv.jpg

 

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks finished but not open yet. Weird configuration of the lanes, to the right you have a northbound lane and just left of that is a southbound lane. Then over to the far left side there is another lane, I wonder what that lane is for? The only things I can think of is a u-turn lane or a bus only lane but the northbound lane traffic can go left too.

OF5biA0.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

It's a u-turn lane

 

7 hours ago, hindesky said:

Looks finished but not open yet. Weird configuration of the lanes, to the right you have a northbound lane and just left of that is a southbound lane. Then over to the far left side there is another lane, I wonder what that lane is for? The only things I can think of is a u-turn lane or a bus only lane but the northbound lane traffic can go left too.

OF5biA0.jpg

Considering that they got rid of the slip turn lane at N. MacGregor and 288 to eliminate a conflict point between cars and pedestrians going to the new HEB, it puzzled me that they included this U-turn lane in the plans for the Ardmore bridge. I've lived near that corner 30+ years and there's always pedestrian and bicycle traffic there. The u-turn lane is unfortunately adding another conflict point between cars and pedestrians/cyclists. I made it known that I was against the u-turn lane for that reason, but Harris County wouldn't budge on changing the plans. In fact, Harris County didn't ask our neighborhood for input when the bridge was in the planning process, and initially only gave us a few weeks advance notice of the bridge closure, which led to a 6 month delay of the start of project. Considering the contractor screwup, this new bridge has been a clusterf from square one. I'll be glad when it opens so I won't have to take a neighborhood tour every time I need to get to 288.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

that photo's looking from south to north?

I guess crossing that street on the north side of the bayou is still going to be the safest place to cross.

the u-turn lane (for traffic flow purposes) does make sense, in my mind, west of that bridge, on both sides of the bayou the streets are one way, then east of that bridge, both sides are two way.

depending on how the pedestrian/cycle crossing of the u-turn lane is configured, it could be safe enough, even if it will slow down cyclists crossing. 

the biggest issue with crossing that bridge as a cyclist, or a ped (at least on the south side of the bridge) is the traffic traveling west on the 2 lane road that has to turn right to cross the bridge (or left into the neighborhood), when you are traveling west as well, you have to be very vigilant of traffic approaching from behind that is turning right (possibly on a red light, when you have a green walk sign) won't notice you until you are on the hood of their vehicle.

as someone who uses these paths for cycling a lot (3x a week on average), if I am on the south side of the bayou, I will use the bridge near Rio Vista, or the Columbia Tap trail bridge the cross to the North side of the bayou for the safer crossing of Ardmore street. I do this even though the view as you are traveling west on the south side of the bayou and turn the corner near Bowling Green offers one of my favorite views of downtown.

anyway, the best solution (and hopefully on the long term list) is an underpass for the path both here, and at Scott street.

Edited by samagon
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, samagon said:

anyway, the best solution (and hopefully on the long term list) is an underpass for the path both here, and at Scott street.

I asked HCFCD about an underpass at Ardmore before they started construction and they said no. I can't remember if their excuse was based on engineering or they pulled the "we're not in the business of transportation" card. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, so this is S. MacGregor lanes eastbound at Ardmore bridge. The way I see it the far left lane is for those who want to u-turn on to the west bound lanes of N.MacGregor. The middle and outside lanes are supposed to be for those continuing eastbound on S. MacGregor. The northbound lanes of Ardmore St. can drive over the bridge and the left lane can turn westbound on N.McGregor and the right lane can turn right on N. MacGregor. The thing I see being a big problem is the lanes heading westbound on the east side of the Ardmore bridge on S. MacGregor will cause many head-on collisions unless they have some kind of solid barrier to stop people from driving westbound on S. MacGregor. I'm confused by all the possibilities idiot/drunk drivers could possibly make while trying to negotiate this intersection, seems like setting people up to fail, especially if they don't drive here often.

SDUnw0w.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2021 at 5:28 PM, hindesky said:

Ok, so this is S. MacGregor lanes eastbound at Ardmore bridge. The way I see it the far left lane is for those who want to u-turn on to the west bound lanes of N.MacGregor. The middle and outside lanes are supposed to be for those continuing eastbound on S. MacGregor. The northbound lanes of Ardmore St. can drive over the bridge and the left lane can turn westbound on N.McGregor and the right lane can turn right on N. MacGregor. The thing I see being a big problem is the lanes heading westbound on the east side of the Ardmore bridge on S. MacGregor will cause many head-on collisions unless they have some kind of solid barrier to stop people from driving westbound on S. MacGregor. I'm confused by all the possibilities idiot/drunk drivers could possibly make while trying to negotiate this intersection, seems like setting people up to fail, especially if they don't drive here often.

SDUnw0w.jpg

That's my parents' front yard on the right. People did frequently go the wrong way on S. MacGregor before the bridge project started. People would turn into their driveway to u-turn or do a crude 3-point turn in the middle of the street, blocking traffic and go the right way, or they sometimes even get as far as the curve in the bend between Ardmore and W. Leland Anderson St. before hitting someone head-on or turning around. My mom remembers when they restriped the streets. She left home one morning in 1980 or 1981 and came back that evening and found out she couldn't get back in the driveway because the street was now one way. They had to take a a circuitous route using the 288 feeder roads or go through those back streets where the psychiatric center is now if they were coming from east of Ardmore. 

Plans in the 1970s called for N. and S. MacGregor to be one way between Almeda and Calhoun with bridges built between Ardmore and Scott and between Scott and Calhoun to allow for u-turns. Some say it was part of an even larger long term plan to eventually turn the area into a giant research campus between the Medical Center and UH. Under then District D Councilman Anthony Hall, a compromise was reached and the one way terminated at Ardmore. 

But back to the bridge. It's still not open. The contractors appear to be doing work on the sewer lines again. There's a hole dug in my parents' yard now as well as on the bank of the bayou. I guess they messed up on that, too. The Buffalo Speedway Bridge is closing on January 18th, and last time I checked, the same contractor for the Ardmore and Stella Link bridges won the bid on that project, too. At this rate, I guess we can hope for a February opening maybe?

I also think this Ardmore delay is delaying the start of the Almeda and Calhoun bridge projects. You can see workers starting to stage at Almeda.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...