Brays Bayou Master Plan

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

$3000 fines for littering? It's a little draconian, but it will have the added benefit of filling the city's coffers. I'm sure HPD and the Harris County Sheriffs would be pleased to enforce this.

In Singapore they have public floggings for littering. Guess what? It's the cleanest country on Earth.

Rules only work when they're enforced. The problem with laws in America is that so many are rarely enforced.

• 7 months later...

I just got something about this in the mail. I wasn't even aware of it before. This is a huge multi-year project to provide additional flood control capacity for Brays Bayou. There are more than 70 projects, including channel modifications to widen and deepen the bayou, four stormwater detention basins, and modifications to 30 bridges along the bayou to accomodate the channel widening.

Project Brays site

• 1 month later...
Hey! I jog at Mason Park every afternoon! :)

Manatees from Florida occasionally venture as far as Houston or Connecticut- about the same time that one was seen in Texas, another was seen in Connecticut, and moved back to Florida. It was tagged, and it has made the trip twice up north, and gets shipped back.

I don't know where Mason park is, but in the early 1970s, I was on Braes Bayou west of Fondren at night, and we observed what we thought were small turtles on the concrete walking in circles- approximately 10 of them, walking in a big circle. We watched for perhaps an hour from the top while we talked, and then went down for a closer look- they were wood roaches, and they were holding their wings up perpendicular to their bodies and flapping them as they walked in a circle of perhaps a meter in diameter. Never seen such behavior before or since.

I add my wild speculation -- alligator gar. Makes a catfish look like a beauty queen. . .

The san francisco aquarium used to make a joke about everything being bigger in Texas, and claimed that the largest freshwater fish in the world were alligator gar from San Jacinto bay. In the 1960s there was a catfish restaraunt on the eastern end of lake steinhagen that had a mounted alligator gar that was between 8 and 10 feet long.

I didn't know we had river otters around here but I don't think this was one as otters are pretty hyper and this thing barely broke the surface and I stood there for 5 minutes and never saw another ripple.

As for turtles, I've seen plenty around there and their heads give them away eventually.

Has anyones seen any gators in the bayous?

I have seen alligator gar and alligators in the bayou. Alot more in the 70's but not so many now.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest danax

Below is what's been done to the west side of Mason Park just west of 75th St. Those concrete cylinders are manholes and reveal where the old bank used to be. Instead of just widening the bayou, they've created flood shelves with a small detention pond au natural on the east side of the park, where there's a trail in progress that will connect to this side and continue along the bayou past the Forest Hill bridge in the distance and around the bend to Gus Wortham and Idlywood, the canoe launch, which will be across Lawndale in Idylwood, I believe. The bridges will be lifted and reconstructed to allow for better floodwater flow. 2mcdl61.jpg

2rnfq5i.jpg

Interesting things unearthed.

4i5zp0w.jpg

This one came out too dark but to the left across the bayou are the tidal basins, and the native plantings have been completed. It should be a nice jungle-like habitat in a few decades.

Nice update,

There was a news crew on site about 6 months ago interviewing an older gentleman whom has lived nearby since the mid-50s and he provided great history on the changes over the years. I imagine the majority of this work is to aid in preventing bad flooding especially for Idylwood residents. I knew a guy on Wildwood street that had to deal with at least 3 serious flood issues. I went to his house when the last one hit and it was neck deep. They finally moved. So like I mention it isnt just for cosmetic purposes but to prevent high water and to beautify at the same time. This area deserves the attention. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Where are they in the process? Is this more of a beautification project or to TRULY alleviate flooding in those areas?

HCFCD's charter is to reduce flooding in the county, so their primary goal (and the only thing they can spend funds on) is flood control. However, they have stated that where they can assist in beautification they will. After all, flood control doesn't have to be all concrete-lined storm sewers! Willow Waterhole and Mason Park are two good examples of that.

• 4 weeks later...

I was driving down Holcombe today and noticed road construction on Cambridge next to the big condo tower. I also noticed the construction extended North towards the bayou. Directly across from the end of construction was the new drainage tunnel and the MacGregor/Braeswood intersection. I dont remember seeing a bridge planned anywhere in this vicinity or in the Major Thourghfare plan, so I dont know what to make of this. However a big traffic circle with a grand fountain in the middle of it would be a great entrance to the medical center and Hermann Park if a bridge was built.

I was driving down Holcombe today and noticed road construction on Cambridge next to the big condo tower. I also noticed the construction extended North towards the bayou. Directly across from the end of construction was the new drainage tunnel and the MacGregor/Braeswood intersection. I dont remember seeing a bridge planned anywhere in this vicinity or in the Major Thourghfare plan, so I dont know what to make of this. However a big traffic circle with a grand fountain in the middle of it would be a great entrance to the medical center and Hermann Park if a bridge was built.

I am fairly certain that I read that Cambridge St. would be extended via birdge to connect directly with the Texas Medical Center. It also seems logical now that Baylor has officially broken ground on their new campus on Cambridge St. Also, that empty lot near MD Anderson's new building and the Rotary House Hotel will be a garage and an extension of the hotel from what I can gather.

• Like 1

Kinkaid is correct. To my knowledge, a traffic circle would be infeasible because it cannot handle a sufficient volume of traffic along this major approach, and the TMC is desperately trying to reduce and manage congestion not only because they need to be able to accomodate future growth, but because they need safe and clear ambulance routes.

Yes to all. This is the Cambridge St. bridge. It will connect on the other side with Braeswood and MacGregor. The section of MacGregor (formerly Outer Belt) will be renamed Cambridge. The bridge will be named the Dr. Richard Wenardi Bridge. (he's not even dead yet)

On a side note; the section of MacGregor that runs along east side of the golf course will be modified with the westbound lanes being move adjacent to the current eastbound lanes. This will give a buffer between the road and the golf course.

I wouldn't count on anything significant as far as styling goes. Maybe I'm too cynical, but none of the bridges currently over Brays would suggest anything different. I guess the "Reforestation" on MacGregor is all for nothing? What is the timing on moving the lanes away from the golf course?

On another note. I live in the area, and Hermann Park Golf Course seems to be falling into a pretty pathetic state. In my opinion, the city should sell it off to somebody that will actually invest money in the maintenance of a public course, and concentrate their efforts on Memorial Park, like they seem to do now anyway.

Good thing you brought this up. I can't recall anyone starting a topic on connecting walkways or bridges here in metropolitan Houston. Some of them really stand out from an architectural standpoint. I also thought I heard way long ago that Houston was one of the 1st to start placing on modern buildings it then took off as a standard in newer buildings. Maybe someone can clarify?

It was always such an adventure walking across them while viewing the passing cars below not to mention how they give the pedestrian a birds-eye view of other buildings and the crowd below.

Will this bridge have any style, lighting, etc. or just another run of the mill concrete bridge?

The bridge will be somewhat aesthetic with steps on each side leading down to the jogging paths below. It will have some details at each approach with aluminum hand rails, not your typical concrete barriers. Most people should be pleased.

• 1 month later...

There are huge gar in Clear Creek and Clear Lake, saw one last year while boating in the creek, 5 to 6 footer just hanging out like a log. Spotted gar are more common and like the clear water upstream from I:45 bridge and past Challenger Park. Alligator gar don't mind living in mud. Sims Bayous had alligator gar in the 1990s, we used to hang out at MacGregor park skipping class at UH occasionally in the late 1990s (that is Sims, or is it Brays?) Anyway, Buffalo Bayou has lots of catfish and gars as well, while metal detecting near the Shepherd bridge where the land was backfilled with debris from nearer town, I saw several spotted gar and some catfish. Cats, gars and some carp are plentiful in most of our bayous, and some of those catfish get really huge!

• 1 month later...

Last week I finally went across the bayou to the north side of Mason Park to check out the completed wetlands/flood control project that's a part of Project Brays. It was worth the walk.

It's a series of three ponds that first collects from the storm drain emptying the nabe above it (Pineview Place), and then filters and finally releases back into the mainstream. The ponds also serve as detention ponds in the case of flooding. A larger natural detention pond is under construction across the bayou.

20 years ago, flood control probably would've meant concrete. Instead, this has turned into a giant asset for the city.

Trail from the soccer fields to the ponds.

4r2srax.jpg

Description.

523dthi.jpg

Collection pond with giant water lilies

66c3okn.jpg

Collection pond again.

538ghgk.jpg

Filtration pond covered in red algae.

4y7mkr5.jpg

Filtration pond again.

4ked0th.jpg

Pond #3. Egret in flight.

4zvzmv5.jpg

Pond #3.

6cxhljo.jpg

Litter boom. Ducks must fly over due to litter infiltration after rains.

6ajiv6x.jpg

Danax, thanks so much for the pictures. Before I sold my place in Idylwood in 2005, I would attend the superneighborhood meetings and sat through numerous presentations by HCFCD. The renderings for the Idylwood section of Brays were impressive, and I am excited to see work begin on that section (seems like they were set to be finished by now...guess that schedule was a bit aggressive).

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone interested in the Willowbend/Willowbrook S. Post Oak area Project Braes progress there will be reps giving a presentation at our next Willowbend Civic Club General Meeting on Tuesday, Sept 25 @ Salem Lutheran Church on W. Bellfort. Westbury people may be interested as well.

If it looks as good as what they did on your side of town, I'll be very happy!

Jason

• 1 month later...

http://www.chron.com/disp/commnts.mpl/metr...an/5243636.html

Mayor Bill White will formally announce the first phase of the Brays Bayou Greenway today.

The Parks Board acquired about 10 acres of property adjacent to more than five acres controlled by the Harris County Flood Control District for the project, which planners hope eventually to extend about 30 miles from the Houston Ship Channel to Addicks Reservoir.

The first phase, to open in about six months, will be a mile-long stretch in Houston's East End from the Ship Channel to Mason Park.

Our bayous really can be a great asset. I hope developers use them wisely in the future and take advantage of them, in a good way, of course.

(Does the chron mind if we paste their images? I can't remember if someone said something about that in the past or not)

Ans: Yes, they do.

Edited by Subdude

The Parks Board acquired about 10 acres of property adjacent to more than five acres controlled by the Harris County Flood Control District for the project, which planners hope eventually to extend about 30 miles from the Houston Ship Channel to Addicks Reservoir.

The first phase, to open in about six months, will be a mile-long stretch in Houston's East End from the Ship Channel to Mason Park.

2pzbf4k.jpg

It sounds like the City bought the land just to the east of the UP railroad bridge (see the last pic above) and the first phase, being a mile long, would mean that section from there to the merging of the Brays and Buffalo, which is a magical spot indeed, not to mention the true womb of the Houston metro. Right now there's no access to that stretch and there's an old scrap metal plant on one of the best bends. The surrounding nabes of Pineview Place and Magnolia Park to the northwest, Mason Park to the southwest and old Harrisburg to the south (talk about an area ripe for redevelopment) will become more attractive to those seeking either historic homes to restore or one of the townhomes that are bound to sprout in time.

A talked-about MetroRail extension from the Magnolia Transit Center down Broadway to Hobby would seal the deal.