Sign in to follow this  
Jax

Brays Bayou Construction

I've been complaining about the way Brays Bayou looks for some time, and now it seems that they are going to try to make it look nicer, as well as accommodate more water. I noticed yesterday that the bike path was closed from Almeda to the "Columbia Tap" trail bridge to the east (near Ardmore street). I found this info online about the construction at this bart of the bayou which started on June 21.

http://www.projectbrays.org/news/2010-0708.html

When construction crews reach Hermann Park, they will be working within a narrow area to limit the amount of disruption to the 445-acre park. Not only will the bayou be wider through the park, but it will appear more natural when the work is complete, Farid said. Rather than remain in its current trapezoidal shape with steep banks, the newly-widened bayou will have scalloped edges and gentler slopes above the concrete lining, and it will be more visible from North and South MacGregor drives. “Not only will this project improve the capacity of the bayou, it will be an aesthetic enhancement to the park,” Farid said. “It’s a win-win situation.”

I always complained about the fact that Brays had so few trees along its banks compared with Buffalo Bayou, but hopefully they are going to fix that.

When construction is complete, the District plans to plant 1,400 trees and shrubs along the newly-widened banks.

Edited by Jax
  • Like 1

I've been complaining about the way Brays Bayou looks for some time, and now it seems that they are going to try to make it look nicer, as well as accommodate more water. I noticed yesterday that the bike path was closed from Almeda to the "Columbia Tap" trail bridge to the east (near Ardmore street). I found this info online about the construction at this bart of the bayou which started on June 21.

http://www.projectbrays.org/news/2010-0708.html

I always complained about the fact that Brays had so few trees along its banks compared with Buffalo Bayou, but hopefully they are going to fix that.

I live off S. MacGregor and the widening to the Bayou on my end is certainly an improvement, but I still don't get the concrete.

Every time I read the title, I keep hearing "Cobra Commander" reading it.

I'm cutting back on the vodka. LOL.

I live off S. MacGregor and the widening to the Bayou on my end is certainly an improvement, but I still don't get the concrete.

I live near you, and that concrete is a throwback to 1950s flood control technology.

Here's a photo from my bike ride. This was taken from the Columbia Tap trail bridge.

img0003rt.jpg

• Like 1

I would hope that they would extend the ped-bike trail which passes under SH288 a very short distance furthur west under Almeda Road and east travelling MacGregor Road Bridges. The trail (as is) forces ped-bikes through TWO nasty intersections. It is all about "connectivity".

I noticed they were doing just that.. at least on the 3rd ward side. The bike path seems like it will now go under Ardmore rather than crossing the street. I also hope they do the same for Almeda and MacGregor

The place that needs an under-the-bridge path the most is at N/S Braeswood Blvd and Buffalo Speedway. I have to deal with on coming cars from both directions. ... oh even maybe build a seperate bridge for the brays bayou trail. Besides that, I agree. They definitely need a path under Almeda too. Would make a pleasant ride from UofH to TMC

The place that needs an under-the-bridge path the most is at N/S Braeswood Blvd and Buffalo Speedway. I have to deal with on coming cars from both directions. ... oh even maybe build a seperate bridge for the brays bayou trail. Besides that, I agree. They definitely need a path under Almeda too. Would make a pleasant ride from UofH to TMC

They're working their way up the channel. You're probably a couple years from that section being complete. HCFCD's construction schedule indicates that the Buffalo Spedway bridge and adjacent channel work should be complete in 2011...but I wouldn't count on it.

Hey... I may have seen you taking that shot! If you took it at the one at Almeda. May have been someone else. Idk

So is everyone else taking the Columbia Tap bridge over 288 to go from UofH to TMC or vice versa?

And did anyone else see the HUGE slab of concrete that snapped off under the bridge of Scott Street? The county seriously needs to get that checked out before it does some worse damage.

I noticed they were doing just that.. at least on the 3rd ward side. The bike path seems like it will now go under Ardmore rather than crossing the street. I also hope they do the same for Almeda and MacGregor

I hope they do that. I've seen people get hit or narrowly avoid getting hit by cars and buses going through that intersection. Drivers hit that curve on S. MacGregor before Ardmore and think they're on a F1 course or something!

Hey... I may have seen you taking that shot! If you took it at the one at Almeda. May have been someone else. Idk

Yeah I took that photo on Almeda on Sat. I was on a purple-ish Bianchi bike. Where were you?

A few construction photos:

img6943l.jpg

Nice to read http://www.hcfcd.org/trees.html that we won't be left with a linear park that resembles a suburban back yard of pure lawn, but that 1400 trees will be planted along the banks too, although I would prefer the total natural jungle approach with a trail running near the concrete bank. I go to the Willow Waterhole often and am grateful that it's there, although it's a bit minimalist at this time. This is such an amazing project and I feel fortunate to be around when while it's happening, and that the city and county as a whole are finally seeing aesthetics as something of great benefit to us all.

I've also noticed that it appears they may be building another bridge near Scott going towards 288. Has anyone else seen this too? They've been digging up dirt on the north side of the bayou and on both sides they have areas marked off directly across from each other. Just a guess though

The trees will be awesome! I've been saying for a long time that there need to be more trees on the banks of the bayou.

I am kind of sad that I can no longer ride the trail under the 288 while this is under construction. I hate crossing over and going past all of the cars on the 288 service road/onramp, but it'll all be more than worth it when this is finished. It looks like more of the trail will go under the bridges rather than crossing at street level when this will be done so it will be a nice change. I bike the area often so I'll try to post more photos soon.

The trees will be awesome! I've been saying for a long time that there need to be more trees on the banks of the bayou.

I am kind of sad that I can no longer ride the trail under the 288 while this is under construction. I hate crossing over and going past all of the cars on the 288 service road/onramp, but it'll all be more than worth it when this is finished. It looks like more of the trail will go under the bridges rather than crossing at street level when this will be done so it will be a nice change. I bike the area often so I'll try to post more photos soon.

You dont have to do that. There's the bike trail that goes from Shenandoah Street to Dixie Drive.

But anyway, you're right. Sounds like the finished product will be better.

You dont have to do that. There's the bike trail that goes from Shenandoah Street to Dixie Drive.

But anyway, you're right. Sounds like the finished product will be better.

I didn't know Columbia Tap went that far until I checked it out just now. That's cool but it's a bit out of my way since I'm coming from the other direction, but I might give it a try one day. In Google it doesn't look like the Dixie Drive bike path entrance goes continuously to the Braes Bayou path crossing of Columbia Tap, but I am hoping the google satellite view is just outdated. Also, I am guessing that Dixie Drive is where the fancy new bridge is going to cross Bray's Bayou in Hermann Park. Is that right? If so, that would make a lot of sense. Once that bridge is ready, I would have another way of getting to the Columbia Tap trail without cycling on the street.

Edited by Jax

I didn't know Columbia Tap went that far until I checked it out just now. That's cool but it's a bit out of my way since I'm coming from the other direction, but I might give it a try one day. In Google it doesn't look like the Dixie Drive bike path entrance goes continuously to the Braes Bayou path crossing of Columbia Tap, but I am hoping the google satellite view is just outdated. Also, I am guessing that Dixie Drive is where the fancy new bridge is going to cross Bray's Bayou in Hermann Park. Is that right? If so, that would make a lot of sense. Once that bridge is ready, I would have another way of getting to the Columbia Tap trail without cycling on the street.

Unfortunately it doesn't go through. You have to take a neighborhood road, Ardmore Street. Since youre coming from the other direction, I see what youre saying.

That's exactly right. You'd take Dixie Road all the way, cross Almeda and take the new bridge. Can't wait for it to be finished.

I just hope that someday they build that small section of the Columbia Tap.

When is it all supposed to be completed?

The Project Brays Website says the 2nd quarter of 2012. I think the bridge replacement/modification at Almeda and Ardmore will come later.

Edited by JLWM8609

Am I the only one here that is concerned that landscaping the floodways will counteract such expensive flood control efforts?

George Bush Park is built in a similar fashion. It floods once or twice a year and doesn't appear to have any significant impact on the landscaping.

Am I the only one here that is concerned that landscaping the floodways will counteract such expensive flood control efforts?

Did you not read that informative tree brochure that was posted earlier? Trees are the future dude.

New ped bridges across the bayou are going in at Tierwester (near Scott) and in Hermann Park to connect to the new MacGregor underpass. It was in the news a while back but I can't find it now.

Here's a photo of the Braes Bayou construction. You can see the site where the new bridge will be.

img7218r.jpg

• Like 1

Nice. Ahhh... the Spires (had a coworker that worked there)... sure there's a great view everywhere you look!

Anyway, let me finally post some pictures of this other bridge I was talking about that it appears they are building over Brays Bayou near Scott.

2011-03-12_15-36-38_474.jpg

2011-03-12_15-36-56_193.jpg

2011-03-12_15-37-09_807.jpg

• Like 1

Not much going on recently. Here's the beginning works of that bridge that's going to go across Brays:

2011-05-22_17-35-15_774.jpg?t=1306124923

A closer picture but its a bit grainy.

2011-05-22_17-35-20_408.jpg?t=1306124833

Bigger overview. Sorry it seems a bit blurry. Dont know what was up with my Droid.

2011-05-22_17-27-30_573.jpg?t=1306124978

Edited by Triton
  • Like 1

I'm really looking forward for those trails to open up.

• Like 1

I am looking forward to some rain. The water levels in the ditch are lower than I have ever seen them. Plus, it's starting to stink.

Has anyone seen the bridge over Brays?? The one down from Almeda/MacGregor? It is MASSIVE. The height of the arches of this bridge is jaw dropping. I'd have to say this has to be quite an impressive pedestrian bridge for Houston

Has anyone seen the bridge over Brays?? The one down from Almeda/MacGregor? It is MASSIVE. The height of the arches of this bridge is jaw dropping. I'd have to say this has to be quite an impressive pedestrian bridge for Houston

Could someone talk a picture the next time they are in the area?

Since I moved to Montrose I haven't been in that area in a long time but I'd love to see the bridge. Maybe I'll ride down there this weekend and try to take a photo.

Edited by Jax

Oh yea sorry guys. Ill try to post a 5 megapixel pic tomorrow so you guys can at least see what Im talking about and hopefully Jax can post some better quality photos this weekend. lol

I've passed the bridge about 3-4 times in the past week and haven't thought to snap a photo. If I pass it again, I'll take and post a pic. The first time I saw it, I said "wow".

• Like 1

^ I said "wow" too. I cannot wait for them to finish this. Forgot to snap a pic! Ill try again tomorrow

This photo doesn't give it much justice since I'm far away but I suppose it's better than nothing:

2011-12-01_12-52-20_380.jpg

Edited by Triton
  • Like 2

Here are a few photos. Sorry they are nothing special. Maybe when it opens I can get a decent photo.

img1095wu.jpg

img1093t.jpg

I'd like someone with design/engineering knowledge to explain to me WHY this pedestrian/cycling bridge is so massive. The similar-functioning new bridge over Buffalo Bayou doesn't have this one's height or general size. Is this simply for aesthetics, or is there a needed engineering reason behind this?

Not that I mind the design - I actually think the renditions are quite beautiful - but I'm just wondering if the reason is aesthetic or required physically...

Edited by Simbha

I agree, this is a much more interesting bridge than the new bridge over Buffalo Bayou and Buffalo Bayou is a much higher profile area which is seen more often by visitors to the city etc. And most Bridges over Braes are usually extremely simple, not suspension bridges so my guess is that the suspension design was just for aesthetics.

Maybe they thought that Braes Bayou was so ugly that it needed a really nice looking bridge to make it more desirable as a recreation spot... :)

I'd like someone with design/engineering knowledge to explain to me WHY this pedestrian/cycling bridge is so massive. The similar-functioning new bridge over Buffalo Bayou doesn't have this one's height or general size. Is this simply for aesthetics, or is there a needed engineering reason behind this?

Not that I mind the design - I actually think the renditions are quite beautiful - but I'm just wondering if the reason is aesthetic or required physically...

Based on just images alone, it looks like the only reasoning between the two bridge types is architectural. I believe the span, and elevation for the the buffalo bayou pedestrian bridge is longer and higher respectively than the Brays Bayou Bridge. That being said, the loads and spans associated for both these bridges are so low that (to an extent) the only legit worry is cost... because buffalo bayou appears longer, it may have been less feasible from the cost standpoint to do some crazy architectural structure. Finally, from an engineering standpoint the Brays bridge pictured above is kind of a silly design, but thats why architects make the big bucks compared to us structural engineers.

Also, just to clarify I do Power Plant/Oil Refinery Civil work--- so my knowledge may somewhat be limited.

• Like 1

Also, just to clarify I do Power Plant/Oil Refinery Civil work--- so my knowledge may somewhat be limited.

Regardless, you answered the question that was posed - which is all anyone can ask.

And, welcome to HAIF!

Looks good to me. More trees, yea. The hurricanes and drought have taken so many.

Is this part of the construction around Hermann Park, near the Dowling statue, that leads to Hwy 288? It was taking place when I left work in 2007. Is it still a mess or near completion in that area? Nice to know the project has included the Lawndale/ East End area.