AMEX Black Card stories

lockmat

Here's an interesting article on them with stories. Anyone else know someone with one of these or have any stories of their own?

one story from the article:

Want great service? Mention the card

Social media entrepreneur and media consultant Peter Shankman says that while the concierge service has saved him in many personal and professional pickles, he flashed the titanium just once in an effort to evoke VIP service. It worked. Shankman was in desperate need of a new suit and was browsing in an Armani store wearing his usual uniform of T-shirt and jeans. "No one paid me any attention. It was right out of 'Pretty Woman,'" he says. "Finally, I said loudly, 'Never mind! I'll take my Black Card and go to Prada!' Within a minute, eight sales guys were there ready to help me."

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/american-express-black-card-opens-doors-1278.php?a_aid=9fc4cb60

Do people (in general) really pay attention to other shoppers' credit cards? Does this one emanate some sort of cosmic light?

Either way, I'm sure AMEX is thrilled that people see it as a status symbol to help in their raking in of enormous merchant fees (and also get paid for it, too, with the initiation and yearly fees!). Do they also buy expensive AMEX shirts to aid in advertising?

• 4 weeks later...

I know several people who work in very high-end retail, and this sounds like a made up story. Sure, they don't see Amex Black cards every day, but probably three or four times a month. The card is the LAST thing a salesperson sees in a transaction, so the same level of customer service is given to every customer, regardless of how they pay. They are trained and try hard to treat every customer the same because (race/gender/sexual preference) lawsuits can ensue if they don't. The sort of people who shop in high-end stores are the ones with the time and money to sue a store and a salesperson just to be a jerk.

The sales people rushing to attend to this guy's tantrum were likely just trying to get him to shut up and behave in a manner befitting the store. I doubt it was a response to his credit card.

And for what it's worth, the TRULY rich people don't pay with American Express or any other card. The store sends a bill to their accountant. If you're still carrying around bits of plastic, you're still a wannabe.

There are airline black cards for super-frequent flyers, with a variety of special perks attached such as a private reservation line.

Hotels are so desperate they're throwing perks at just about anyone, whether you're loyal or not.

For example, I'm a member of the President's Club at Fairmont Hotels. How did I get that? I signed up online. That's it. I've only stayed with Fairmont once, but I get my own no-wait check-in counter, free high speed internet, rooms on a special club floor with a private lounge, free alcoholic beverages and snacks after work, and lots more. I even get access to the business centers at ANY Fairmont hotel in the world, even if I'm not a guest. I've used this on a couple of occasions while staying in crappy motels without internet.

This week I'm going to stay at a Fairmont for the second time, and I'm looking forward to all these benefits, even though I barely spend jack with them.

I have a lot of frequent flyer miles (for me, anyway) -- About 400,000 between United and American. I don't get any special treatment, other than I cashed in some to fly free to Korea last year.

For a while my wife was flying back-and-forth between Chicago and Minneapolis every couple of days because of a family situation and even though they were $39 flights, she took so many of them that she got Gold status on AA. That was very nice for both of us, because the early boarding, free luggage, and other benefits apply to everyone on the same reservation. It got us a free, unexpected, un-asked-for upgrade to the Business Class sleepy pods on a JAL flight between Tokyo and Seoul:

jal_airlines.jpg

I never slept so good, or snored so loud. The lovely JAL air hostesses put a post-it on me asking the other passengers not to disturb me.

4355455775_b5cb83cb76.jpg

"One of these kids is not like the others. One of these kids is not the same. One of these kids does not belong. Do you know her name?"

And for what it's worth, the TRULY rich people don't pay with American Express or any other card. The store sends a bill to their accountant. If you're still carrying around bits of plastic, you're still a wannabe.

I'd like to hear more about this. Surely the GAP doesn't send their accountant a bill. At what amount and what type of stores will actually do this?

I'd like to hear more about this. Surely the GAP doesn't send their accountant a bill. At what amount and what type of stores will actually do this?

Rich people don't shop at the Gap.

The stores I'm talking about are small boutique chains (usually under ten stores worldwide), or one-off boutiques and tailors. When it comes to "chain" stores (and I'm using the term loosely here to cover stores like Hermes, Culti, and the like), the rich don't often "go" to the store. If the store, itself, doesn't have a dedicated personal shopper service (and most do), the person usually has a relationship with one of the salespeople who knows what that person likes, and sets items aside when stock comes in, then phones the person to let them know they're bringing stuff over.

Yes, I have a subscription to WWD.

Back on topic:

I mentioned this thread to someone I know who works at a Barneys New York branch that's not in New York. She said that she sees three or four Amex Black cards each week, and suspects that people who work at the flagship store probably see them on a daily basis.

If old movies are to be believed, this used to be a common practice. People had charge accounts at stores, and were known to the clerks:

"Have it delivered, and charge it to my account."

"Yes, Mrs. Moneybags."

If old movies are to be believed, this used to be a common practice. People had charge accounts at stores, and were known to the clerks:

"Have it delivered, and charge it to my account."

"Yes, Mrs. Moneybags."

Old movies and small towns. My mother-in-law does this at her local grocery store in the northwoods of Minnesota.

Archived