Uptown Park: Uptown Shopping Center At 1121 Uptown Park Blvd.

The one in Dallas is next to a freeway so it's o.k.

Isn't this going into a $1.2 billion development? I bet there will be something else to do in the area that won't require a cab. Isn't the BRT and maybe the LRT going to be right in front of this location, eventually?

I didn't think the W in Dallas was literally on the freeway like this one, but it's been five years since I stayed there. In any event, I hope this hotel does well, but I will be sending out of town guests downtown.

• Like 2

w%20dallas%2003.gif

dallas-w-hotel-victory.jpg

gorgeous illustrations, as per the w hotel dallas.

this beautiful edifice doesn't appear to be in the direct vicinity of any freeway from what i can tell.

it appears to be located downtown dallas inside their new "victory park" district.

this hotel is located exactly where is should be... directly inside an area / district that is indeed vibrant and fun.  this particular hotel should never ever be hidden.

heck, even austin, tx. did the correct thing in constructing their w hotel upon their downtown district.

let us provide hope, that houston does not make the grand mistake with this forthcoming high profile development.

what a shame it would be for our fair city....

Edited by monarch
  • Like 1

The W in Dallas is about a block away from 35. You can CLEARLY see and hear the freeway from it. It is also very close to Woodall Rodgers freeway too.

It is close to TWO freeways.

http://hksinc.com/wp-content/uploads/w-dallas-victory-hotel-5.jpg

http://dweddings.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/WHotel_Altitude_0029.jpg

http://assets.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/Victory%20Park%20P16%20%2011-10*304.jpg?v=1

http://www.americanairlinescenter.com/gfx/PHOTOS/new_photos/vp_ariel1.jpg

Edited by SMF
  • Like 1

I think there is a big difference between being right on the freeway (like this proposed location), and several blocks away like it would be if it was in downtown Houston (or as it is in most other locations).  And a chain wine bar and a club I thought closed six or seven years ago is not the nightlife that I would think a hotel like the W would try to associate with.  

• Like 2

I think there is a big difference between being right on the freeway (like this proposed location), and several blocks away like it would be if it was in downtown Houston (or as it is in most other locations)

No there isn't. None at all. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

anyone thinking that being in close proximity to a freeway (or that being a couple hundred feet closer to a freeway than another W) would somehow have a discernable nagative impact on potential business is simply looking for a reason to complain. the granduca must be struggling! 

• Like 5

Back in the day businesses in Houston wanted to be located right off the freeways for convenience. Today, I think more businesses want to offer more then just convenience to people in vehicles. Uptown Park will be a walkable mixed use area, and there will also be light rail near by so I think it will be ok. Also I figure that the next time the West Loop gets redone, there will be more porgressive people in the city that will likley submerge the West Loop into a tunnel and place a park over it.

Different strokes for different folks.  If you want the W right along side the West Loop, more power to you.  I would just prefer downtown or in a walkable area, meaning something more than the stores in the strip center/parking lot surrounding it.  On the plus side, it is closer to the gentlemen's clubs.   

• Like 2

anyone thinking that being in close proximity to a freeway (or that being a couple hundred feet closer to a freeway than another W) would somehow have a discernable nagative impact on potential business is simply looking for a reason to complain. the granduca must be struggling! 

ok swtsig, my great and wise pal.. you have just added a whole new dimension as per our ongoing debate regarding houston's first w hotel.  no one, myself included.. is hereby indicating that this prospective hotel edifice shall offer a "discernable negative impact on potential business" at any rate.  all we are hereby trying to debate... is the very fact that an obviously small minority of us, would like to see our fair city's very first w hotel, be constructed upon an area that is viable, energized, hip, pedestrian friendly, and certainly fun.  it is becoming quite evident that every hip city.. has a w hotel that is located upon the aforementioned vicinities.  we want so very hard to officially ERASE this great city's oft reputation of being a blue collar gentlemen's bar paradise.  

the granduca, houstonian hotel, omni post oak, are certainly providing a certain niche within our city.  these particular and yet famous edifices, are positioned into obscure areas by design.  these hotels, are indeed significant moneymakers as per their investors.. however, there are many patrons, that don't even know that these particular hotel's even exist.  

yes, of course there are freeway's located throughout the downtown vicinity.  however, should this hotel actually be constructed within the downtown cbd district... then it shall become a bona fide showcase.. just as it should be.  instead of being located directly along the 610 freeway corridor... basically, away from everything that is considered now and hip.  houston, has indeed waited long enough.  our fair city deserves better. 

• Like 1

Here are more interesting proposals.

The Austonian? Sure looks like it but slightly different.

hFP8tZc.png

Here is one that I like the best.

wmZ93Mw.jpg

FTiCirH.jpg

A So and So Design IMO.

E8dg1pD.png

https://vimeo.com/71610193      Fast Forward to 5:25

Are we so certain that this will be "on the freeway"? How do you know it won't be located back a few feet like the W in Dallas.

Edited by SMF

What I really love about this site is we find out great news but everyone has a different idea of what it should be. Some imagine it Downtown, and some imagine it not adjacent a freeway in Uptown Park.

I think it should be fine if located on the corner of the feeder by that "park". People will be swept away by the awesome views of the skyline and not concerned about a little noise on their balconies.

• Like 5

misinformed...

Right. I agree with you. They left because the operator didn't keep it up to Ritz standards, not for lack of a market for the brand. It would do well here. Right now, a lot of my clients stay at the ZaZa, which is nice., but no restuarants etc in walking distance. It forces them into a car or cab and changes their experience.

Edited by Dakota79

Uptown Park owner to be acquired in $763M deal

Houston-based AmREIT Inc. (NYSE: AMRE) will be acquired — but not by the company that offered to buy it a few months ago.

The real estate investment trust said late Oct. 31 that South Carolina-based Edens Investment Trust will pay $26.55 per share for AmREIT in an all-cash deal valued at approximately $763 million.

The deal, which was unanimously approved by AmREIT's board of directors, is expected to close in the first quarter of 2015, subject to customary closing conditions and the shareholder approval. AmREIT stockholders will vote on the transaction at a special meeting, the date of which has yet to be announced.

In July, Florida-based Regency CentersCorp. (NYSE: REG) offered to buy AmREIT, which owns Uptown Park in Houston and other retail and mixed-use properties in Texas and Atlanta, for $22 per share, but shareholders called the offer inadequate. Later that month, AmREIT rejected the offer and decided to explore strategic alternatives.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2014/11/uptown-park-owner-to-be-acquired-in-763m-deal.html

Edited by Triton
  • Like 1