Uptown Park: Uptown Shopping Center At 1121 Uptown Park Blvd.

Well armchair laywers.. lets look at the facts:

1. Shyne is the stage name of the rapper who was with Sean Combs the night the gun was fired in the night club. Sean Combs and crew were already on the outs with Shyne. Shyne attempted to roll over on Sean Combs, but Sean beat him to it, having himself and his crew give the story that Shyne was the one with the weapon.

2. Here's what Kobe did do: CHEAT on his wife. He deserved every minute of negative publicity he got, including dumbed down "did he do it??" web polls.

Just for giggles, I would love to see some pictures from inside the VIP area of the party saturday night. I bet I could give them to my wife (who reads US weekly, People, and watches E.T. and Access Hollywood religiously) and she would not have recognized a single person there in the "Very Important Person's" section.

Sean Combs is B-List. All he has ever done is ride Notorious B.I.G.'s coat-tails, and when he died, Sean has survived on bad remixes & samples from classic songs and over-priced FUBU/Polo Jeans hybrid clothing rip-offs.

I'm bothered that we've wasted this much time determining that his party had 0% effect on Houston.

Well armchair laywers.. lets look at the facts:

1. Shyne is the stage name of the rapper who was with Sean Combs the night the gun was fired in the night club. Sean Combs and crew were already on the outs with Shyne. Shyne attempted to roll over on Sean Combs, but Sean beat him to it, having himself and his crew give the story that Shyne was the one with the weapon.

2. Here's what Kobe did do: CHEAT on his wife. He deserved every minute of negative publicity he got, including dumbed down "did he do it??" web polls.

Just for giggles, I would love to see some pictures from inside the VIP area of the party saturday night. I bet I could give them to my wife (who reads US weekly, People, and watches E.T. and Access Hollywood religiously) and she would not have recognized a single person there in the "Very Important Person's" section.

Sean Combs is B-List. All he has ever done is ride Notorious B.I.G.'s coat-tails, and when he died, Sean has survived on bad remixes & samples from classic songs and over-priced FUBU/Polo Jeans hybrid clothing rip-offs.

I'm bothered that we've wasted this much time determining that his party had 0% effect on Houston.

Oye, first off, I gotta send my respect to Casual Observer. Even though we may not agree on everything, your opinions are totally valid and cool, yo! There's no fight here, just difference of opinion.

To dispute your claim that P. Diddy is not an A-List celeb, think of how many people in the music industry have had as much success as he has. Not many.

Also, I disagree that this party had 0% effect on Houston. That will only be true if there aren't anymore high-profile parties in the city we all love. Only time will tell if this party was a one time thing or not.

If you honestly want to hear my response to any of the other statements from earlier, let me know. I'm just trying not to take up too much space on this forum.

Finally, let's see more parties from all genres of music and culture in H-Town :)

I am not an armchair laywer (sic), but a real one.

I am not a fan of rap/hip-hop. I am however, a big fan of rap's precursor, reggae. I also enjoy the blues, zydeco and bluegrass. I do not like country-western. And, of course, I enjoy rock.

Since rap seems to be the cause of all of Americ's problems, due to its graphic lyrics, I thought I'd spend a few minutes listing the topics of some country and blues and rock tunes (BTW, even though I said I don't listen to C&W, I don't recall any songs about one's parents, except for David Alan Coe picking up his mom from prison).

Johnny Cash Cocaine Blues (also performed by George Thorogood)

Eric Clapton Cocaine (also performed by others)

Waylon Jennings Alcohol and various drugs

Willie Nelson Pot, alcohol, various drugs and running over grandma with sleighs

Hank Williams Jr. Almost everything bad for you

David Alan Coe Drinking, Driving, prisons and auto accident fatalities

Garth Brooks Alcohol, fighting, spousal abuse

Johnny Cash Drinking, drugs, guns, murder, prison, spousal abuse, robbery

Lynyrd Skynyrd Alcohol, drugs, fighting, gunplay, murder, etc.

This is just a start. Now, it may be argued that, since virtually all C&W singers (male, anyway) glorify drunkeness, driving pickups and fighting, and song lyrics influence people, that male C&W singers cause DWI to be the leading traffic killer, and spousal/date abuse to be the leading killer of women, at least in the South.

I, for one, think country music no more causes rednecks to drive DWI and beat their wives, than Rap causes Black youth to kill cops and sell drugs, or AC/DC caused teens in the 70s to perform satanic killings.

But, if that is the reasoning you use to justify your dislike of the music, more power to you. I don't need a reason to explain why I don't listen to Rap or C&W...I just don't.

Its all perception. The difference, is that Garth Brooks, Waylon Jennings, or Bocephus (for those in the know..) would occasionally sing about those topics. The rest of the time, they are singing about topics like love, life, work, or family.

The difference with rap is that almost every song is the opposite of C/W. All they rap about are the bad things. People use music as a soundtrack for their own life. If you're a 13 year old black kid living off Bellfort & Scott, the last thing you need to influence you is Slim Thug (Houston rapper) talking about getting oral sex from prostitutes, smoking marijuana, snorting cocaine or shooting heroin, shooting other gang's members, or glamourizing that rapping is the good life because of the instant rewards it may bring (money, jewelry, easy women, electronics, or cars).

That kid, just as the millions of them do now, immortalizes his favorite rapper and then tries to emulate him. The end result is a real life version of Slim Thug's glamourized rap song: A 18 year old child who has no responsibility, who does not have good manners, who has retained little of his education, who has no prospects for success via college, or professional trade. He will eventually breed and the chasm of despair only grows wider, as he will most likely be an absent father. Inturn, his son will grow up emulating the actions of his father - good or bad, and even worse will do so using the next bigger rapper's songs as his soundtrack.

I don't see kids who listen to country music forming gangs, abusing women as a gender, relying on drugs to get through the day (either via sales for money, or usage for life enhancement), or striving for the same things a kid who listens to rap strives for (eg: rap = bling bling vs. C/W = hard work equals success). Sure as kids we all illegally drank liquor, but music didn't do that to us, society as a whole did. Rap music goes so far beyond what society allows as rambunctious behavior for youth.

I'll quit debating and go back to the point, I don't really care about Sean Combs throwing a party where the entry fee was over $100.00. I care that he and other rappers so quickly forget what the ghetto was like for them, even though they still continue to vividly rap about it. My meaning? how much money do you think NBA players and Platinum selling rappers have poured back into the ghetto? After they buy their 20 room mansion in both their hometown and the city the play/work in, staff it, buy 10 of their favorite exotic cars, fully stock their 600sq foot closets with 50 pairs of sneakers & 25 three piece suits, spend money on a summer home that is nicer than their regular home, spend the money to fly private charter air every week when they jetset from city to city, and when they throw extravagant parties monthly that cost thousands of dollars.. how much is left for their neighborhood where they grew up?

Sean Combs needs to fix his neighborhood, and then his side of town, and then his borrough, and then his city.. before he needs to worry about improving my town's nightlife.

they just don't get good press, I suppose.

from today's paper:

But each time, local hip-hop innovators such as the Geto Boys, DJ Screw and South Park Mexican came undone, derailed by infighting, drug use and crime.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/m...politan/3231700

How many times has this broken up any music group, no matter what type of crowd they played to. Guns n Roses (Axle), Van Halen (Dave), New Edition (Bobby Brown), Jackson 5 (Mike), The BeeGees (Andy Gibb), etc.....I can literally span decades with this list.

All were attributed to either infighting or drugs or both.

In fact, the oly group that has broken up peacefully is Destin's Child....until we start hearing those nasty tabloid rumors about why they split too.

Again the only trend I see is that of bad decisions being made. Music does not cause violence.

The relevant influence that I failed to see mentioned is money. Without taking sides, rappers do what they do because they expect to earn a profit, as do the billion dollar record companies that promote and distribute their music. That's not a justification, but in many cases, these guys are getting pimped as bad as the women they disrepect in their songs.

I love hip-hop and grew up on it, but I don't recognize the music that Casual Observer talks about. If you listen to the radio, or watch TV, then yes, you'll see a ton of negativity. But that's true for most mainstream Media. The hip-hop artists I listen to don't glorify violence, wanton sex, drugs, etc. Try listening to the artists the records companies don't push quite as hard, and you'll see what I mean. Check out the Houston Public Library, they have albums by Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Reflection Eternal, De La Soul, J-Live, The Roots, Dilated Peoples...the list goes on and on. Expand your horizons before you criticize and generalize about a whole genre of music. Look deeper before you place blame.

By success you mean no one got a cap in their ass? :D

what the hell? hello? some people are being extremely stereotypical and to an extent racist and do not even realize it. and before you even claim i am playing the race card or cannot take a joke, i am not stupid and you and i know, as far as ethnic group, who was the majority at the party. sorry but that was truly offensive and quite ignorant.

what the hell?  hello?  some people are being extremely stereotypical and to an extent racist and do not even realize it.  and before you even claim i am playing the race card or cannot take a joke, i am not stupid and you and i know, as far as ethnic group, who was the majority at the party.  sorry but that was truly offensive and quite ignorant.

Ditto

Maybe it was based on recent events like:

1. The fight at the Pistons/Pacers game this year.

2. The fight at the Vibe awards last year.

3. The fight at the Source awards five years ago.

4. The criminal activity found outside T-town (just to name ONE example) every week here in Houston.

So I say: "What the hell? Hello? Some people are just as guilty of reverse-racism and do not even realize it.".

Face it, even Chris Rock thinks its a true stereotype  (Bigger & Blacker Tour - 1996).

you know there are several events that could have happened with any race that you listed and as far as the reverse racism, i get on people about that too because it makes no sense. don't know what was the point of bringing it up because no one in this thread showed it, and believe me i know people that are victims of reverse racism are sick of it, and they want to hint at it sometime and bring it out like some people are doing in this thread and i appreciate you doing that. ;) as far as the chris rock thing, that is my point exactly. people our so quick to base their opinions off the media. as far as i am concerned you can't act a certain race and a lot of the stereotypes about blacks are shown in every ethnic group.

Wait - we were talking about black people??

don't play stupid. if we weren't you wouldn't have made a list of those events or have referred to chris rock's bigger & blacker tour. look i'm all for having a intelligent discussion, but if you really think that i am that dumb for you to ask such a question as you did above, i have no reason to.

what the hell?  hello?  some people are being extremely stereotypical and to an extent racist and do not even realize it.  and before you even claim i am playing the race card or cannot take a joke, i am not stupid and you and i know, as far as ethnic group, who was the majority at the party.  sorry but that was truly offensive and quite ignorant.

If anything, I was referring to P Diddy's "colorful" past with an incident that occurred with his entourage in a Miami nightclub with J LO. His race had nothing to do with it. I do think some of us have become overly sensitive.

As a member of a minority myself, I can understand you thoughts. Especially in this week of Pride, I am not one to stereotype or be offensive.

I apologize if I offended you.

• 2 years later...

http://www.universitycoop.com/ePOS/form=ca...7&store=108

Houston UT Co-Op Grand Opening Event:

Friday, September 14, 6:00 - 9:00 P.M.

Location of Event: Houston Uptown Champps Restaurant

An evening with Earl Campbell to benefit The Texas Exes Houston Scholarship Fund. $30 per person.

-Dinner Buffet

-Autographs / Photos with Earl Campbell*

-Cash Bar

-Drawings for Co-op prizes

Event is limited to 200 attendees, under 10, no charge.

*No personal items can be brought in for this event. Items for autograph must be purchased from the Co-op.

Please bring receipt for entry into event.

Saturday, September 15th Events 11:00 A.M. - 6:00 P.M.

Register for hourly door prizes (Need not be present to win)

In Store Appearances:

12:00 - 6:00 P.M.

Kirk Root, Designer of licensed UT men's and women's jewelry.

12:00 - 1:00 P.M.

Bobby Hawthorne, Author of the just published book, Longhorn Football.

1:00 - 2:00 P.M.

Earl Campbell Autograph Hour. No personal items can be brought in, must make a Co-op purchase for autograph.

• 1 year later...

I rarely drive through Uptown Park.

But though my wife and I generally dislike Starbucks...I was in the mood to go last Friday evening post-Ike...and she was not.

Anyway, as we drove through, Uptown Park looked like a happening little city! Cafe Express to Uptown Sushi...it was just happening all over the place! People were walking all over, spilled out the doorways and hanging out al-fresco.

Was it just a post-Ike phenomenon or is it really typically that crowded on a Friday/Saturday evening at around 10:40 pm?

The two times I've walked around Rodeo Drive on a Friday night at about the same time...it never gets that high energy. Maybe the layout of Uptown Park lends itself that way.

Has Uptown Park become or been something of an entertainment hub?

Edited by worldlyman

I rarely drive through Uptown Park.

But though my wife and I generally dislike Starbucks...I was in the mood to go last Friday evening post-Ike...and she was not.

Anyway, as we drove through, Uptown Park looked like a happening little city! Cafe Express to Uptown Sushi...it was just happening all over the place! People were walking all over, spilled out the doorways and hanging out al-fresco.

Was it just a post-Ike phenomenon or is it really typically that crowded on a Friday/Saturday evening at around 10:40 pm?

The two times I've walked around Rodeo Drive on a Friday night at about the same time...it never gets that high energy. Maybe the layout of Uptown Park lends itself that way.

Has Uptown Park become or been something of an entertainment hub?

Uptown has never yawned for lack of people. I've not been there lately so I don't know how much crowd you saw but being a Friday evening, on a week when many people didn't go to work and holed up by Ike, there's likely a surge (trying to get used to the word) in patronage.