Jump to content
HAIF - Houston's original social media

Recommended Posts

I'm hunting for some rigid foam insulation (not styrofoam like the DOW product at Lowes).

I'm looking for the 8' x 2' x 2" strips. 1" will suffice, but 2" is optimal.

This is not for insulating but for a random project i'm working on.

Lowes and Home Depot are both misses.

Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry I don't know where to find what you're looking for but, shame on me, I'm going to piggy back on your post to air a complaint I have about foam that's used for furniture and bedding- like mattresses.

It's my understanding that our congress and epa permits (or perhaps the word is insists that these foam products are infused with a fire retardant that's been banned in Sweden because it interferes with our endocrine system. And it's now ubiquiitous. Inuit people in the far north even have it in their bloodstream.

Sorry to highjack your post but I thought it was a good idea to spread the word on this although y'all may be well aware of this.

The fire retardant is also used in children's clothing such as pajamas. But since it can be washed out of non petroleum based products like cotton that's a safe fabric to buy for children - that is natural cotton pajamas comes with a warning that it is not flame retardant. That's what I buy for my grandkids.

I've been concerned about this for years and thought that it's a good idea to get the congress to ban it.

Good luck with your search.

(By the way, I sometimes get packages with hard styrofoam pieces protecting the products inside - but that breaks easily.

This is the first post I've ever made and perhaps I've broken the rules - sorry and again, good luck!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've gotten 4x8 sheets of 2" blue foam at a place off of Antoine, north of 290 in the past. I don't recall the name, but if you call some of the model railroad stores around town they will be able to direct you as this type of foam is now commonly used for building model railroads. Papa Ben's train store is the place that directed me to the supplier in the past.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get "Iso" board (polyisocyanurate) which is an extruded polystyrene rigid board at most every roofing distributor.

It will come in varying thicknesses / R values and usually either 4' x 4' or 4' x 8' sheets.

Shouldn't be too hard to find at West End Lumber, Roofing Supply Group, ABC Supply, Bradco, Gulf Eagle or Builders Prodcuts. You will need to talk to someone that knows commerical roofing.

If you need the product in a form that is laminated to a plywood or OSB substrate so you can attache panels or some other mechanically attached finish, then ask about a product called Nail Base which is Iso board laminated to plywood or OSB.

Good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 years later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...