Houston Ranked as World's 2nd Most Boring City to Visit

You've just described Hermann Park, which is the antithesis of Times Square.

By the way, Times Square is lame. Manhattanites avoid it like the plague... because of all the tourists.

I like watching the freak show that is public life probably more than the next person, but what is this fascination with standing around on a sidewalk? The street scene that city kid envisions has to do mainly with getting off a train then standing or wandering around, and like you said is exactly why New Yorkers hate Times Square. A bunch of hillbillys standing around blocking foot traffic, looking at advertising while trying to decide between Applebees and the world's largest Mc Ds.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having been to Times Square, I have to say it's a rather interesting spectacle to behold. Go 3 blocks away at 2am and it's as empty as your typical Houston street. Hype.

Even the gentleman bars are lame.

So I hear.

Having been to Times Square, I have to say it's a rather interesting spectacle to behold. Go 3 blocks away at 2am and it's as empty as your typical Houston street. Hype.

Even the gentleman bars are lame.

So I hear.

I agree, they say New York is the 24hr city, but I have seen it dead at night outside those tourist areas. I thought just about everything stayed opened 24hrs there. Not the case.

What I was envisioning doesn't necessarily have to be like a Time Square, but somewhere like City Centre (Old Town & Country Mall) but located within the 610 loop. Within walking distance to downtown. Its just something about the hustle and bustle of business people, shoppers, tourist, performers, street kids with backpacks, families walking around, etc that make a city for me. Yeah Houston has a great night life, but its all over the place and there are no famous walkable streets that tourist can go to. I remember hearing about Richmond Ave as a kid. A bustling street lined with clubs. Well in my mind, I imaged it like 6th Street in Austin, a walkable area, but we all know that its nothing like that. I think City Centre is the type of place I envision, and a lot of the developments that were being developed closer to the city a few years ago would fit the profile. BLVD Place, the River Oaks District, Regent Square, etc. Lets hope that those will eventually develop and become magnets with tourist etc. And hopefully Earth Quest Adventures will help with tourist.

I think City Centre is the type of place I envision, and a lot of the developments that were being developed closer to the city a few years ago would fit the profile. BLVD Place, the River Oaks District, Regent Square, etc. Lets hope that those will eventually develop and become magnets with tourist etc.tourist.

Nah, that stuff is all contrived by the same set of national architects that design projects in every other major city. From the design and layout to the tenant base, there's nothing the least bit unique about any of that. It's just another retail paradigm. ...like the dumbbell-shaped mall. ...like closed-off streets for pedestrians only. ...like the 'power center'. ...like the open-air 'lifestyle center'.

Some cities (for various reasons) become meccas for some particular retail paradigm and get associated with it by tourists. Over time, contemporary paradigms become historical, exotic, and even charming. To that end, I think that Houston's chaos associates it most closely with randomly-placed tiny strip centers and taco trucks. Dallas is a little more 'new money', sterile, and organized; it will probably become a mecca for pad site tourism.

To that end, I think that Houston's chaos associates it most closely with randomly-placed tiny strip centers and taco trucks. Dallas is a little more 'new money', sterile, and organized; it will probably become a mecca for pad site tourism.

Never thought of it that way, but it makes since.

Also, yeah mixed use centers like City Centre are generic and are in other cities, but its a start. How about a mixed use center with unique architecture and high end retail? wouldn't that bring tourist? I don't know, maybe fix up and line one of the inner city bayous with retail, restaurants etc. To me the most exciting area to be in in Houston is the Uptown area. It would be nice if those strip centers could be torn down and converted to walkable tourist destinations. The city should try to attract places like Legoland Discovery Centre, ESPN Zone, etc. Maybe even a tourist Spot with a NASA theme in the uptown area. Another way to get tourist is talk-shows/live audience sitcoms. Tourist like to be on TV, if one of their favorite shows tapes in Houston, they'll want to visit the city and be in the audience. Just a taught.

Never thought of it that way, but it makes since.

Also, yeah mixed use centers like City Centre are generic and are in other cities, but its a start. How about a mixed use center with unique architecture and high end retail? wouldn't that bring tourist? I don't know, maybe fix up and line one of the inner city bayous with retail, restaurants etc. To me the most exciting area to be in in Houston is the Uptown area. It would be nice if those strip centers could be torn down and converted to walkable tourist destinations. The city should try to attract places like Legoland Discovery Centre, ESPN Zone, etc. Maybe even a tourist Spot with a NASA theme in the uptown area. Another way to get tourist is talk-shows/live audience sitcoms. Tourist like to be on TV, if one of their favorite shows tapes in Houston, they'll want to visit the city and be in the audience. Just a taught.

We already have one. It's called the Galleria. 24 million visitors annually.

Try driving anywhere inside the loop on a Friday night and Saturday night and tell me this city isn't bustling. It's worse than 5:00 traffic on a weekday. I also dare you to find a restaurant without a wait on those nights. We don't walk around here, we drive everywhere and that's the difference.

Try driving anywhere inside the loop on a Friday night and Saturday night and tell me this city isn't bustling. It's worse than 5:00 traffic on a weekday. I also dare you to find a restaurant without a wait on those nights. We don't walk around here, we drive everywhere and that's the difference.

No doubt its a bustling city, nearly every person I know from out of State wants to move to Houston. Its the driving part and the too much sprawl that takes away that big inner city feel. If it was a little more compact and had more attractions with rail transit from at least the main airport, I don't think that it would be on that list.

If it was a little more compact and had more attractions with rail transit from at least the main airport, I don't think that it would be on that list.

Ah yes. Rail transit. Theme parks that have implemented multi-million-dollar risk management programs to ensure that boring people can achieve an adrenaline rush without ever actually having had just cause for it. Very exciting, each of those. :rolleyes: And the white middle-class Woodlanders whose children buy censored rap music at one of their five convenient Wal-Mart locations. Very exciting, very urbane, these people. If only our streetscapes were imitative of Paris (which we all know has no suburbs or any unremarkable suburban populations--at all--because we would never bother to try to visit such a place and therefore it does not exist), and Woodlanders lived there and not in The Woodlands, then surely tourists would appreciate our unique local culture. :wacko:

Tourists genuinely seeking exciting rail transit can hop aboard the next inbound freight train. They might lose a leg, but that definitely qualifies for exciting. And tourists genuinely seeking exciting attractions can surf for miles on the pure waves generated by loaded up tanker traffic in Galveston Bay...and then get all raucous in the dive bars of Bacliff (not Kemah).

Ah yes. Rail transit. Theme parks that have implemented multi-million-dollar risk management programs to ensure that boring people can achieve an adrenaline rush without ever actually having had just cause for it. Very exciting, each of those. :rolleyes: And the white middle-class Woodlanders whose children buy censored rap music at one of their five convenient Wal-Mart locations. Very exciting, very urbane, these people. If only our streetscapes were imitative of Paris (which we all know has no suburbs or any unremarkable suburban populations--at all--because we would never bother to try to visit such a place and therefore it does not exist), and Woodlanders lived there and not in The Woodlands, then surely tourists would appreciate our unique local culture. :wacko:

Tourists genuinely seeking exciting rail transit can hop aboard the next inbound freight train. They might lose a leg, but that definitely qualifies for exciting. And tourists genuinely seeking exciting attractions can surf for miles on the pure waves generated by loaded up tanker traffic in Galveston Bay...and then get all raucous in the dive bars of Bacliff (not Kemah).

Forget about tourists mate. I live here, have done for 15 years, and I want rail from the airport. It's not about how people view or perceive Houston, or how much or how little we care about that. It's about getting around this place that I care about, and I hate having to take a car to the airport every time I go there.

Forget about tourists mate. I live here, have done for 15 years, and I want rail from the airport. It's not about how people view or perceive Houston, or how much or how little we care about that. It's about getting around this place that I care about, and I hate having to take a car to the airport every time I go there.

^ off topic

Actually I'm not off topic. Since when was a city's basic infrastructure not related to its attraction to outsiders, tourists or potential inhabitants? We all evidently have an affinity for Houston on some level, don't we want, as far as possible, to encourage people to experience what we have?

Actually I'm not off topic.

In a thread about tourism, you said, "Forget about the tourists mate," and went on to expound about what would make your life easier. I happen to agree with the sentiment (if not your specific plan), but clearly the post was off-topic. We have other threads to discuss this issue.

Since when was a city's basic infrastructure not related to its attraction to outsiders, tourists or potential inhabitants?

When we have something unique such as an integrated subway system like NYC or a maglev like Hong Kong, I will concur that rail-based transit encourages tourism. But I suspect that associating that kind of thing with boring ol' Houston would merely dilute the appeal of that kind of infrastructure in the first place.

Dallas is going to extend DART out to the airport after all, it seems. Will that make you want to visit Dallas more often? Will that make north Texas more livable, in your opinion, attracting new residents?

We all evidently have an affinity for Houston on some level, don't we want, as far as possible, to encourage people to experience what we have?

Not especially. Most people are closed-minded and sheep-like, and I don't want those people drawn here, ruining the off-beat experience that we have.

Rail to the airport doesn't make one more likely to visit a city, or attract new residents, but those are hardly the only criteria. Basically it is a huge convenience. I would much rather take a train than a taxi, bus or car from airports. It may be hard to understand the convenience if one hasn't lived in or visited cities with good train service.

Houston is a great city, but I would hardly see it as being particularly "off-beat". That's probably why it shows up on boring city lists! ^_^

Houston is a great city, but I would hardly see it as being particularly "off-beat". That's probably why it shows up on boring city lists! ^_^

No...it shows up on boring city lists because most people are boring and are incapable of understanding, appreciating, or seeking out the off-beat.

No...it shows up on boring city lists because most people are boring and are incapable of understanding, appreciating, or seeking out the off-beat.

I don't believe that rail is the root to tourist, but it is a big factor to a lot of people. I have the best time in cities when I am free to hop on a train and come and go as I please without worrying about parking or maps. Don't get me wrong, I also like to explore cities in cars and by foot as well.

People here may not have thought of this, but to many people Houston's freeways are something to see. A lot of people from small towns and cities without huge freeways experience a culture shock when they are on Houston's freeways. I have seen people say WTF! when they final get in to Houston and see the mass of the freeways and tall buildings going for miles.

People here may not have thought of this, but to many people Houston's freeways are something to see. A lot of people from small towns and cities without huge freeways experience a culture shock when they are on Houston's freeways. I have seen people say WTF! when they final get in to Houston and see the mass of the freeways and tall buildings going for miles.

I have experienced this too. I once took an Aussie from IAH to the Clear Lake area, and he was too awe-struck by the jumble of freeways downtown and the big stacked interchanges at Beltway 8 to particularly notice or comment on anything else. He even had me do a U-turn so I could do another U-turn underneath the Gulf Freeway at BW8, just so he could look up.

You've just described Hermann Park, which is the antithesis of Times Square.

By the way, Times Square is lame. Manhattanites avoid it like the plague... because of all the tourists.

I think Citykid is talking about the large cool video screens and flashy lights factor, restaurants, and such. Houston could stand to do a little more of that type of thing.

I think Citykid is talking about the large cool video screens and flashy lights factor, restaurants, and such. Houston could stand to do a little more of that type of thing.

Restaurants? Houston is routinely ranked as one of the best restaurant markets in the country. Better stick to the video screens and lights, because our restaurant scene is not why we are boring. Besides, this is one anonymous blogger. My vote counts the same as his.

Why? So we could be more like Manhattan? There is only one Manhattan, and the people of Houston would do well to remember that and not try to emulate everything Manhattan does. Let Dallas continue to do that, and let Houston continue to be Houston. Houston's a quirky and irreverent city. I would hate to see it change its identity to fit into some soon to be outdated urbanism mold.

I don't believe that rail is the root to tourist, but it is a big factor to a lot of people. I have the best time in cities when I am free to hop on a train and come and go as I please without worrying about parking or maps. Don't get me wrong, I also like to explore cities in cars and by foot as well.

One of my favourite things to do visiting a new city with an underground/tube system is to take a day to explore the city using it. For someone just visiting for a few days it's far preferable to renting a car or dealing with traffic. An underground system isn't practical for Houston, but the light rail system is a good second option.

There are plenty of things to do here, yes, but for a visitor they are difficult to identify and get to. The fewer things you can get to or are aware of, the more boring a city is perceived to be. We know that's not the case but perception in this case is very much reality.

There are plenty of things to do here, yes, but for a visitor they are difficult to identify and get to. The fewer things you can get to or are aware of, the more boring a city is perceived to be. We know that's not the case but perception in this case is very much reality.

Thats true. And in the way that Houston is so big with multiple skylines, many people confuse different areas as downtown. Imagine coming to Houston for the first time via IAH, and you only take a short trip from the airport and then back, its possible that you would think that Greens Point is downtown if you knew nothing about the city. Or even landing at Hobby for a layover and thinking that that old airport is Houston's main or only airport. There are many ways to get a bad impression of a city.

With that said, wouldn't it be cool if NASA had decided to to build an urban inner city campus instead of a suburban college like campus? That would be a cool attraction for the city. Maybe they could relocate in the future.

One of my favourite things to do visiting a new city with an underground/tube system is to take a day to explore the city using it. For someone just visiting for a few days it's far preferable to renting a car or dealing with traffic. An underground system isn't practical for Houston, but the light rail system is a good second option.

Dallas sucks at least as much as we do in the eyes of tourists, and it has rail-based transit. It's hard to Make the argument when there's such a good proxy in the very same state with only one difference perceptible to most travelers.

Dallas sucks at least as much as we do in the eyes of tourists, and it has rail-based transit. It's hard to Make the argument when there's such a good proxy in the very same state with only one difference perceptible to most travelers.

I would say that tourist see Dallas as notch better then Houston. Dallas has the History of the TV Show Dallas, The Second most valuable sports team in the WORLD! (Dallas Cowboys) and possibly the most popular, the original Six Flags, transit oriented development, a sort of Time Square area, Fort Worth, The JFK Museum (Or what ever its called), their new Arts District, etc. I also want to add that the youth in Dallas are known as trend setters to many around the country. Many of the dance styles you see on BET and MTV lately come from Dallas youth along with bringing back the old high top haircuts with a futuristic twist.

Believe it or not, Houston is a very popular city for nightlife, especially in the urban community. Many people come from other States just to go clubbing in Houston.

I would say that tourist see Dallas as notch better then Houston. Dallas has the History of the TV Show Dallas, The Second most valuable sports team in the WORLD! (Dallas Cowboys) and possibly the most popular, the original Six Flags, transit oriented development, a sort of Time Square area, Fort Worth, The JFK Museum (Or what ever its called), their new Arts District, etc. I also want to add that the youth in Dallas are known as trend setters to many around the country. Many of the dance styles you see on BET and MTV lately come from Dallas youth along with bringing back the old high top haircuts with a futuristic twist.

Believe it or not, Houston is a very popular city for nightlife, especially in the urban community. Many people come from other States just to go clubbing in Houston.

Yeah, it's too bad one of our citizens didn't shoot JFK. Then we'd be more able to leverage the consequent tourism to our economic advantage.

Manhattan is a mecca for tourists and it has rail transport . But let's both dispense with the spurious comparisons. Transporation is only one component of a successful tourist strategy and the sooner Houston gets serious about it the better, both for tourists and citizens like.

Manhattan is a mecca for tourists and it has rail transport . But let's both dispense with the spurious comparisons. Transporation is only one component of a successful tourist strategy and the sooner Houston gets serious about it the better, both for tourists and citizens like.

Osaka is not a mecca for tourists and it has (really cool) rail transport. I'll agree that transportation is important, but let's dispense with the argument that it has to conform to some particular physical form.

Archived