Houston Ranked as World's 2nd Most Boring City to Visit

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frankly, we're in pretty good company. I can't speak for Bratislava, Wellington or Singapore, but those other cities are actually rather nice. At least they aren't filled with hordes of tourists and souvenir shops selling plasticky crap trying to capitalize on some former heyday or some other such thing.

I think this article's two word sarcastic dismissal of Houston gives away the entirety of their judgement criteria: "How romantic... "

This article is for unoriginal travelers (aka tourists) who expect the place they visit to enlighten and engage them while they passively take everything in. For those people I say go to Rome. It's probably the most "romantic" place on Earth (as in there's a tourist shop on every corner and you don't have to think to be amazed).

EDIT: This just in: Atlanta named the world's most awesomest city evar!

The only thing that surprises me is that people lend any thought or credence to blogs as if they were journalism or worth anyone's time.

Then again, this is the same nation that loves to watch "real" idiots on TV in any manner they can get them, and views celebrity as an admirable accomplishment in and of itself. How am I supposed to start mellowing out in my old age if the general idiotic population keeps throwing gasoline on my fiery cynicism?

EDIT: This just in: Atlanta named the world's most awesomest city evar!

And Dallas was no 2! Ya know, with all that awesome neon, and the lack of anything like our new 22 story Embassy Suites downtown and all!

Frankly, we're in pretty good company. I can't speak for Bratislava, Wellington or Singapore, but those other cities are actually rather nice.

I agree. I think we're in good company here. I must be boring.

Hey telwink, stop taking pics that make Houston look boring :P .

I agree. I think we're in good company here. I must be boring.

Hey telwink, stop taking pics that make Houston look boring :P .

The other top four most boring cities in the world are Brussels, Zurich, and Singapore? Did you read the description of Oslo? Unless you are an avid cyclist, hiker or museum buff, the boredom may hit your senses quite quickly in Oslo.

This writer is an idiot. He's just trying to drive clicks by posting something controversial.

Houston one of world's most boring cities to visit

http://opentravel.com/blogs/worlds-most-boring-cities-to-visit/

Is anyone surprised?

I think one person's definition of "boring" doesn't necessarily match another's.

I love Singapore. There's oodles to do there, and you're just a taxi ride from Malaysia, or a ferry ride from Indonesia. Singapore has what is easily the world's most amazing zoo experience. Brussels, similarly, has a ton of things to do and see. Bratislava -- OK, it's a little boring. But it's a small city, what do you expect?

It seems the author equates "excitement" with something like Disney or Las Vegas or some other in-your-face location that a disaffected 17-year-old with ADHD can embrace. Seriously, if you can't find something to do in Brussels, then you're an uncultured heathen who should stay home.

It's interesting to note that the blog in question is funded by the government of the European Union. Go figure.

Actually I would regretfully tend to agree - Houston is a somewhat boring city to visit. That said, it is a fantastic city in which to live. I've never worried much about it being a tourist destination.

Interesting that one of the comments rolled out the old "we have more theater seats than New York" line. Disinformation has a long shelf life it seems.

Brussels didn't surprise me, since Belgium in general has the reputation of being a boring place, to the extent that it is almost a cliche.

houston is boring unless a tourist knows someone who lives here. as much as i enjoy positive attention aimed at houston and equally dismayed at the negative, i do not wish houston to be a tourist destination or a trendy place to be/live.

Interesting that one of the comments rolled out the old "we have more theater seats than New York" line. Disinformation has a long shelf life it seems.

Actually, it was that we are second only to New York in the number of theater seats. And yeah, we do have a well developed theater scene, but mostly it's just because the City of Houston is such an abnormally large entity in terms of square mileage. It's no less disingenuous than making the claim that we're the nation's fourth largest city, though.

Actually, it was that we are second only to New York in the number of theater seats. And yeah, we do have a well developed theater scene, but mostly it's just because the City of Houston is such an abnormally large entity in terms of square mileage. It's no less disingenuous than making the claim that we're the nation's fourth largest city, though.

No, the comment on the post was that we have more theater seats than New York, and in any event it is a misleading "statistic".

houston is boring unless a tourist knows someone who lives here. as much as i enjoy positive attention aimed at houston and equally dismayed at the negative, i do not wish houston to be a tourist destination or a trendy place to be/live.

You do need to know someone to find the interesting things to do, such as they are. Until you've lived here for a while and built up a circle of like-minded acquaintances, you will indeed find it a boring and depressing place to live. Just like anywhere else.

When the author uses words like "apparently" when talking about the weather, well it's a bad indication, like it he/she wrote this based on what was read in an almanac and not on experience.

I agree with what Subdue said earlier. We are not a tourism based city, the things to do here are plentiful, but for those that live here.

But despite it all, this is an article I'd tend to ignore in general. I think if I were serious about visiting somewhere I'd look for articles about places I SHOULD see rather than ones not to see.

No, the comment on the post was that we have more theater seats than New York, and in any event it is a misleading "statistic".

Oh, yeah the comment made in the post in question was just plain wrong. I don't think that there's much evidence for us to call it disinformation, though, just an error.

But despite it all, this is an article I'd tend to ignore in general. I think if I were serious about visiting somewhere I'd look for articles about places I SHOULD see rather than ones not to see.

Better yet, look for the places they advise against going for being too dangerous. Those places generally have zero tourists and are usually pretty exciting vacations.

Better yet, look for the places they advise against going for being too dangerous. Those places generally have zero tourists and are usually pretty exciting vacations.

Good point, I noticed that Kabul and Baghdad aren't on the "most boring city to visit" list.

This is not true. We have Dave and Buster's. And some clubs in downtown. And way out in 1960 too. Plus we have the woodlands.

You mean way out on Cypress Creek Parkway. Come on now, ditch the 1960 already, that's not gonna sound chic enough to get the new grads and creative types moving here.

You mean way out on Cypress Creek Parkway. Come on now, ditch the 1960 already, that's not gonna sound chic enough to get the new grads and creative types moving here.

What about woodlands. Is that still considered chic?

• 3 weeks later...

It's the anti-NYC; "A nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there."

It's the anti-NYC; "A nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there."

I'd want to visit. I just wish that there was an area for tourist and residents to congregate and just hand out and walk around and buy Houston souvenirs. This place needs to be walkable preferably with rail transportation and have museums, street vendors, SHADE!!!, street performers, sidewalk dinning etc. Something like a Time Square.

I'd want to visit. I just wish that there was an area for tourist and residents to congregate and just hand out and walk around and buy Houston souvenirs. This place needs to be walkable preferably with rail transportation and have museums, street vendors, SHADE!!!, street performers, sidewalk dinning etc. Something like a Time Square.

You've just described Hermann Park, which is the antithesis of Times Square.

By the way, Times Square is lame. Manhattanites avoid it like the plague... because of all the tourists.

Archived