Sign in to follow this  
Arivechi

Extension of White Oak Bayou bikepath

I often ride up the White Oak Bayou bikepath. The other day when I did my usual U-turn on the grass at the north end of the dead-end (after the bridge to nowhere), I noticed a bunch of wooden stakes lined up in the grass possibly showing the planning of a northward extension of the trail. Anyone have more info on this bike path extension?

I did see the article in the Chronicle yesterday about the general idea of expanding the city's bike trails but it didn't mention any trail specifically.

http://www.chron.com...iz/7114095.html

The best guy to ask about the bikeways is Dan Raine, the city's Bicycle Coordinator. I asked him and he says

Yes, that’s the extension of the WOB trail to Antoine, we’re just getting started and it’s a 12-18 month construction schedule, so maybe by December 2011.

Weather is a HUGE factor on construction projects – especially when working in bayous….

He quoted the same completion time for the Heights MUP being completed into downtown (currently it terminates just short of UHD a few hundred yards).

I believe there was also a proposal for extending this trail south along the Bayou and potentially on to Memorial Park. It ran into some opposition and I'm not sure if that plan has been abandoned.

The best guy to ask about the bikeways is Dan Raine, the city's Bicycle Coordinator. I asked him and he says

He quoted the same completion time for the Heights MUP being completed into downtown (currently it terminates just short of UHD a few hundred yards).

Thanks for the update! appreciate it.

In the interests of more cyclists and pedestrians, the Houston-Galveston Area Council (H-GAC) has put out a call for planning studies. More information can be found at www.h-gac.com/go/pedbike.

It's all about "connectivity".

In the interests of more cyclists and pedestrians, the Houston-Galveston Area Council (H-GAC) has put out a call for planning studies. More information can be found at www.h-gac.com/go/pedbike.

It's all about "connectivity".

There are a lot of buzzwords in the transportation and planning world, and connectivity is one of them thrown around often, sometimes with meaning and sometimes not.

But it's a pretty damn important concept for bikes. I mean, if the sidewalk ends, and you are an able-bodied pedestrian, you just ... keep walking. But on a bike, the barricades, and steep slopes with glass and other sharp debris on the sides convince me not to take this path again by bike.