Surprisingly Zip Code 77008 Is One Of The Safest

samiamj

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7103572.html

WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT BURGLARIES

Is your home in a hot zone?

10 most burglary-prone ZIP codes

77036, 77009, 77072, 77060, 77063, 77077, 77042, 77016, 77082, 77021

Ten safest ZIP codes (population over 15,000)

77002, 77059, 77058, 77084, 77005, 77345, 77029, 77071, 77008, 77019

Source: City of Houston data

Most commonly stolen items

Large, flat-screen TVs

Cell phones

Cameras

DVD players

Gaming systems

Identification documents

Jewelry

Removable tools (power tools, hand tools and yard equipment)

Bank cards and checkbooks

Cash

Firearms

What you can do about break-ins?

Experts say the average burglar will spend no more than four to five minutes trying to gain access to a house.

Thwart burglary attempts before they happen

Make your home look occupied all the time.

Use automatic timers on lights when away.

Place radios on automatic timers when you're away so they can be heard outside.

Lower the sound of your telephone ringer and answering machine so they can't be heard outside.

Never leave notes on your door that can tip off burglars.

Eliminate hiding places around your home

Install motion detector lights around your house instead of leaving lights on at night.

Install these lights at least 8 feet above the ground so they are more difficult to disable.

Motion detector lights should illuminate doors and windows.

Doors should be first priority, followed by windows.

Remove overgrowth, bushes and shrubs under windows and next to doors.

Use a security alarm system with a loud alarm and/or flashing lights.

Make your home a harder target

Make sure you have the right kind of locks on your doors and windows.

Secure doors from attached garages with dead-bolt locks and security door strikes.

Install impact-resistant glass on windows or doors within a 42-inch arm's reach of a lock.

More:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7103572.html

About 60 were hit by burglars more than 20 times each last year. Greenhouse Patio Apartments, located at 6363 W. Airport in the Fondren Square neighborhood, topped the list with 66 incidents.

Knowing the type of people who reside there I think they just take turns stealing from each other.

I put this together back in the Spring, for anyone interested.

Crime data

I had an Google excel document retrieve crime data from Houston Crime Maps... though it doesn't look like they have updated their stats since Spring.

I also brought in census data per zip code based on the latest census projections that were put out.

I never got around to ranking zips or analyzing since I wanted to wait for the new census data... but have fun looking up the data on your zip code

I put this together back in the Spring, for anyone interested.

Crime data

I had an Google excel document retrieve crime data from Houston Crime Maps... though it doesn't look like they have updated their stats since Spring.

I also brought in census data per zip code based on the latest census projections that were put out.

I never got around to ranking zips or analyzing since I wanted to wait for the new census data... but have fun looking up the data on your zip code

Wow. My zip code is really safe. FM 1960 ain't so scary afterall (as long as you don't leave 77090).

Wow. My zip code is really safe. FM 1960 ain't so scary afterall (as long as you don't leave 77090).

Disclaimer:

Highway6 will not be held liable for any false sense of security you may feel from reading this data.... Cavort in your yard at your own risk.

Disclaimer:

Highway6 will not be held liable for any false sense of security you may feel from reading this data.... Cavort in your yard at your own risk.

No worries. I've already learned the hard way the car has to be parked in the garage.

Experts say the average burglar will spend no more than four to five minutes trying to gain access to a house.

Thwart burglary attempts before they happen

......Install impact-resistant glass on windows or doors within a 42-inch arm's reach of a lock.

Good suggestions, I also would reccomend...

-Pick up fliers from pizza services, landscape services, etc., and The Banner and The Leader from your own yard and make sure your neighbor's are tucked away in their porches.

-Make sure you actually lock your garage and your car. Double check before bed.

-Check out your street at convenience...on your way back from the toity in the middle of the night, for instance. (I've actually caught people checking unlocked cars this way).

-Know your neighbors: Their habits, their cars, their people. It's not just about protecting your home. It's about looking out for your 'hood.

Good suggestions, I also would reccomend...

-Pick up fliers from pizza services, landscape services, etc., and The Banner and The Leader from your own yard and make sure your neighbor's are tucked away in their porches.

-Make sure you actually lock your garage and your car. Double check before bed.

-Check out your street at convenience...on your way back from the toity in the middle of the night, for instance. (I've actually caught people checking unlocked cars this way).

-Know your neighbors: Their habits, their cars, their people. It's not just about protecting your home. It's about looking out for your 'hood.

Does anyone read the Banner or the Leader? Its a pain in the rear end to have to pick that garbage out of my grass every time they throw and move it to the trash. That said - I live in 77008 and in the entire time I have been there we have nothing bad happen..I do have a fence, and a driveway though, so I feel pretty safe...I think most of the crimes I hear about are auto related.

I have family on 21st who have had their car broken into no less than 20 times when parked on the street....he had a truck too large to park in the garage. The 20th time or so was the breaking point and he traded it in for something that would fit in the garage. Ironically, or stupidly, I said stupidly he parked the new truck on the street for one night, and sure enough, I get a call at 6am that he wants me to pick him up cause he had to drop his truck off for some new glass....I think he is on a discount program with the glass shop on 19th now.

I have family on 21st who have had their car broken into no less than 20 times when parked on the street....he had a truck too large to park in the garage. The 20th time or so was the breaking point and he traded it in for something that would fit in the garage. Ironically, or stupidly, I said stupidly he parked the new truck on the street for one night, and sure enough, I get a call at 6am that he wants me to pick him up cause he had to drop his truck off for some new glass....I think he is on a discount program with the glass shop on 19th now.

He should start placing animal traps in his truck, so if some dude tries to break in, he is snared by the trap and has to be taken out by police.

• The title was changed to Surprisingly Zip Code 77008 Is One Of The Safest

Archived