Anyone get the iPhone 4?

I've finally ordered the new iPhone. It will replace my current iPhone, which is the original one that I got on launch day back in 2007.

I'm looking forward to the new features, especially having a real GPS. Has anyone else gotten the iPhone 4? If so, what is your opinion of it?

I played around with my brother-in-law's, it was very fast compared to his previous one. Great display as usual.

I've seen a lot of articles about the reception issues and what seems to be a poor reaction to that by Apple. I've heard everything from "there is no reception issue" to "you're holding the phone wrong" to "it's just a software issue with how many bars are displayed". This proves nothing, but my brother-in-law held the phone exactly where they say not to and bars were not affected.

I think Apple, by growing so much in popularity, is in danger of seeing the type of resentment and challenges Microsoft sees all the time. People aim to knock the top dog down. Microsoft might actually benefit from their success in that they'll be targeted less and less over-analyzed for flaws while everyone is focusing on what's wrong with the newest i-gadget.

We bought one to replace a 3G, and soon will get another to replace a BB Bold. the screen is gorgeous, and it is very fast. The camera is good as well. I'm not a huge Apple fan, but the 4 is a high-quality design. and we nearly paid for it selling the 3G on Craigslist.

It's awesome. The resolution upgrade is sweet, and text looks great if you read a lot on your iphone, which I do. Battery life is the 2nd best improvement. FaceTime will be cool eventually (limited number of friends with 4, wi-fi only). Photo quality is significantly improved.

I haven't had any dropped calls (in Dallas).

The display looks incredible, and like others have said, the redesign dramatically improve the reception under AT&T. I would strongly consider it if I wasn't under contract with another carrier.

The only disappointments for me are the lack of improvement to the iPhone's notification system and the so-so multitasking (was hoping for something along the line of web OS multitasking). I expect the notification system will be improved in a future OS revision though.

I think Apple, by growing so much in popularity, is in danger of seeing the type of resentment and challenges Microsoft sees all the time. People aim to knock the top dog down. Microsoft might actually benefit from their success in that they'll be targeted less and less over-analyzed for flaws while everyone is focusing on what's wrong with the newest i-gadget.

I think much of that comes from Google and their fan base. They've declared Apple to be their enemy, and even incorporated silly stunts like a Steve Jobs dunk tank at their HQ to drum up the troops (http://gizmodo.com/5508711/googles-steve-jobs-dunk-tank). I guess every tech company needs an enemy from time to time....Apple used the dominance of IBM and then Microsoft to motivate their fan base in the past.

I have one - pretty much agree with what everyone else has said - great screen, better camera (with flash), etc...

I have not experienced any of the reception issues - I can even talk in the elevator at work -- I couldnt with my 3GS most of the time

Has anyone here developed an App?

Looks like there are two routes to go -

A ) Spend $100 to download the developer SDK , learn C+ plus whatever else it might take to code the thing.

B ) Hire a developer, costing 2-10k according to one article... not profit off the app until 1000-5000 are sold.

Anyone done either of these and care to share how easy or painful a process it is ?

I used to know html pretty well.. a decade ago.. That is the extent of my coding abilities; Option A looks pretty daunting while Option B looks cost prohibitive for an out of work designer.

I have this elaborate awesome interactive google excel document that I use... solely because there ISN'T an App for that... for what I want.

Without giving away my idea, I've searched the app store off an on for awhile, and this particular need is very underrepresented. The 2-3 apps that do exist don't attack the need in the best way... This idea could be awesome, lemme tell ya.

You know you're the top dog when everyone is out to spin things negatively

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/07/13/iphone.4.duct.tape/index.html?hpt=C1

I used to see Apple as the small, creative operation trying to beat the Microsoft monster, but it's just not that way anymore. I think now that they are the leaders, now everyone (including hacker types who make malware) will be going after them primarily.

You know you're the top dog when everyone is out to spin things negatively

http://www.cnn.com/2...dex.html?hpt=C1

I used to see Apple as the small, creative operation trying to beat the Microsoft monster, but it's just not that way anymore. I think now that they are the leaders, now everyone (including hacker types who make malware) will be going after them primarily.

Not to get too far off on a tangent...

I think that's true of the mobile market, but the overall computer market is still dominated by Microsoft.

92% Windows OS

5% Mac

1% Linux

The iPhone sits at 0.6%

http://marketshare.h...re.aspx?qprid=8

You have to sign up for some of the analysis but most you can just see.

Their market cap is higher than Microsoft (or it was a week ago, the stock price dipped yesterday after that CR article hit), but that doesn't make them the dominant player, just that they are valued higher in the markets.

Anyway, I'm sure the iPhone 4 is a great piece of hardware, my 3g was great, and I see the allure of a device like this (even if I didn't like it personally), all the reports (and a few friends that have upgraded to one) say this one is worth the upgrade.

I'm sure you'll be very happy with the upgrade to this one. And if you do get signal issues, there are lots of documented fixes that minimize the effects until Apple fixes the problem.

Has anyone here developed an App?

Looks like there are two routes to go -

A ) Spend $100 to download the developer SDK , learn C+ plus whatever else it might take to code the thing.

B ) Hire a developer, costing 2-10k according to one article... not profit off the app until 1000-5000 are sold.

Anyone done either of these and care to share how easy or painful a process it is ?

I used to know html pretty well.. a decade ago.. That is the extent of my coding abilities; Option A looks pretty daunting while Option B looks cost prohibitive for an out of work designer.

I have this elaborate awesome interactive google excel document that I use... solely because there ISN'T an App for that... for what I want.

Without giving away my idea, I've searched the app store off an on for awhile, and this particular need is very underrepresented. The 2-3 apps that do exist don't attack the need in the best way... This idea could be awesome, lemme tell ya.

You don't have to plonk down the $100 to develop your app. You're free to sign up for the Developers program and benefit from the thousands of pages and hours of video tutorials that Apple provides, and download the entire iPhone SDK for free. This way you can see if app development is really something you want to get into. Once you've created your app, then you have to pay the $100 for full membership to get your app listed.

• 2 months later...

editor. Can you please repost a link for non-diet, non-mobile, full on haif, that I can access from my Iphone ?

I had it bookmarked, I lost it, and it impossible to navigate to regular Haif on an iphone without it.

It's not a seperate bookmark, it's a cookie that gets set with your preference when you tap the "Change back to full site" link on your phone. Unfortunately, that link is missing in the latest version of the software. I'll put in a note with tech support to see if I can get it restored.

It's not a seperate bookmark, it's a cookie that gets set with your preference when you tap the "Change back to full site" link on your phone. Unfortunately, that link is missing in the latest version of the software. I'll put in a note with tech support to see if I can get it restored.

Thanks.

Archived