Walmart Supercenter At 111 Yale St.

HeyHatch

Walmart at Yale & I-10: For or Against  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Q1: Regarding the proposed WalMart at Yale and I-10:

• I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Q2: If/when this proposed WalMart is built at Yale & I-10

• I am FOR this WalMart and will shop at this WalMart
    • I am FOR this WalMart but will not shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart but will shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart and will not shop at this WalMart
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Q3: WalMart in general

• I am Pro-Walmart
    • I am Anti-Walmart
    • I don't care either way
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

How is the yale developmet going to extend the Heights bike trail? I haven't seen anything about that, and can't imagine how they would do it. The bike trail pre-walmart extended from Washington to 20th so I am curious where it will go now.

I probably misspoke on that. I meant the jogging trail in the median of Heights Blvd.

I agree, I am not sure if 006 falls out by HEB being too new and fiesta and kroger being on the border with 098. 019 is a stretch too with Randalls and Central Market being so close.

Fiesta and Kroger on Montrose are both inside 77006 while the HEB is west of the line. I don't know if those two did more than $10M in sales in a year. Montrose did need a bigger grocery store, and I'm glad they have one now.

Yeah, a map that considers a zip code to be poorly served because there are not any grocery stores in that zip, even though there may be 3 or 4 right on the edge. Never mind how many people there are, or how small the zip code is. 023, my zip, there's Kroger within walking distance, fiesta within short driving distance, and heb down in gulfgate. Not sure where the 4th is and I'm pretty sure there isn't a 5 or 6?

Those poor guys that live in the Greenway plaza zip code aren't served by a grocery at all!

Yeah, a map that considers a zip code to be poorly served because there are not any grocery stores in that zip, even though there may be 3 or 4 right on the edge. Never mind how many people there are, or how small the zip code is. 023, my zip, there's Kroger within walking distance, fiesta within short driving distance, and heb down in gulfgate. Not sure where the 4th is and I'm pretty sure there isn't a 5 or 6?

Those poor guys that live in the Greenway plaza zip code aren't served by a grocery at all!

I agree 006 019 are misrepresented, party because the zip codes are relatively small and other boundries being distort those zip codes. I don't think the article goes on to mention those neighborhods as food deserts either.

The point is the vast swath of NE houston and south houston that are barren. Not zip codes surrounded by plenty of options, but the ones surrounded by ones without options. But further to your point, with so many options so close why should we have to sponsor a supermarket cluster in an area with plenty of options when miles of the city have nothing.

I agree 006 019 are misrepresented, party because the zip codes are relatively small and other boundries being distort those zip codes. I don't think the article goes on to mention those neighborhods as food deserts either.

The point is the vast swath of NE houston and south houston that are barren. Not zip codes surrounded by plenty of options, but the ones surrounded by ones without options. But further to your point, with so many options so close why should we have to sponsor a supermarket cluster in an area with plenty of options when miles of the city have nothing.

On top of that, I think the data isn't recent (well within 2 years) or they aren't counting data from within 2 years. I have a friend that lives in a pretty nice subdivision up in 044, there is a huge HEB over off of wlake houston and bw8 that was put in 2 years ago. where the map says 0. it's also worth pointing out that a lot of the red (south of 610 and between s.main and 288 down to orum basically) is desolate. next time you're adventurous hop on down 288, get off at holly hall and head over to almeda. ride it south.

that being said, there are definite areas of Houston that NEED more places to buy food, that map though, it stinks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have no idea why Houston Press is listening to the "anti-Wal-Mart" folk, but here goes:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2012/03/heights_walmart_yale_bridge.php

"​Jeff Jackson, director of Responsible Urban Development for Houston, thinks that something apocalyptic could happen to the Yale Street Bridge, especially when construction of the controversial new Heights-area Walmart is completed.

In November, the Texas Department of Transportation performed a study of the circa 1931 bridge, which crosses over White Oak Bayou. (According to the City of Houston's Public Works and Engineering Department, area bridges are inspected biannually via the TxDOT Bridge Inventory, Inspection and Appraisal Program.)"

And quite a few individuals on the discussion thread don't seem to like the idea that the anti-Wal-Mart organizations are full of it.

I'm going to write a short story where a lonely, golden-hearted Wal*Mart trucker with a conscience who is just trying to make a living, accidentally turns onto Yale and goes over the bridge leading to catastrophic structural failure. As the truck plunges into the abyss below, cargo is hurled around in the trailer leading to damage to the top secret Wal*Mart R&D equipment contained therein. The soul essences of Wal*Mart employees mix with the shattered dreams of small town moms and pops, and is subsequently ignited by the spark of imagination from countless chinese underage workers leading to a massive energy release from the resulting matter/anti-matter annihilation. The resulting explosion destroys everything within a quarter mile radius of the bridge and induces some sort of radioactive fallout upon the bedraggled citizens living in the Heights' historic districts. A secondary plot line revolves around the family interactions of one Heights resident who tried to warn everyone about the dangers, and her tragic inability to reach the very people who were in the most danger because she was unable to come across as anything but a self-absorbed know-it-all.

Edited by JJxvi

Carrefour, Auchan, etc. are big box stores in Europe

You know, this is a good point, problem is, you aren't talking about 'big box stores' in the USA traditional fashion. ie. walmart, home depot, costco. you're talking about the equivalent of a macys, or department store, they have something called 'store fronts' and use 'window dressing' in those store fronts, very similar to the USA department store.

the closest equivalent to big box they have in europe is ikea, which, we have here too (and actually is a big box store)! guess what, the stores are all built with the same premise, and that premise in europe (as it is here in the states) there are no windows. surprising.

what other big box stores exist in europe? I end up traveling over there about once a year, and in my travels, I don't recall seeing any walmarts, targets, or other big box stores....

I have no idea why Houston Press is listening to the "anti-Wal-Mart" folk, but here goes:

http://blogs.houston...yale_bridge.php

"​Jeff Jackson, director of Responsible Urban Development for Houston, thinks that something apocalyptic could happen to the Yale Street Bridge, especially when construction of the controversial new Heights-area Walmart is completed.

In November, the Texas Department of Transportation performed a study of the circa 1931 bridge, which crosses over White Oak Bayou. (According to the City of Houston's Public Works and Engineering Department, area bridges are inspected biannually via the TxDOT Bridge Inventory, Inspection and Appraisal Program.)"

And quite a few individuals on the discussion thread don't seem to like the idea that the anti-Wal-Mart organizations are full of it.

lol, Vicman, I am a little dissapointed in you. In one of your Houston Press comments, you called it Houston Area Information Forum. :)

Red, c'mon. Apple creates hand-assembled artisanal communication devices.

With the tiny, palsied hands of 14 year old Chinese hillbillies.

True. I hear the ones stained with blood are collector's items.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/business/ieconomy-apples-ipad-and-the-human-costs-for-workers-in-china.html?pagewanted=all

I invite comments from the Walmart haters. Surely, you can share your justification for idolizing one killer of Chinese laborers, while demonizing another.

Haha, I need to get my nostalgia medication ;p

lol, Vicman, I am a little dissapointed in you. In one of your Houston Press comments, you called it Houston Area Information Forum. :)

I think the ones in the inner suburbs are like the Targets, etc. in Houston. The big box stores (Saturn, Monoprix, etc.) and grocery stores in inner city areas have windows.

ahh, good to know, I wonder if those have windows or not?

Edited by VicMan

Can we get back to talking about how they've f'ed up Yale St so badly (between train tracks and I-10) and how it doesn't look like they'll be fixing it anytime soon? I mean really. The new strip center is done and ready to go, but you can't even get to it, let alone drive on that side of the road.

Heights is inexplicably down to 1 lane going NB from Washington, Yale is down to 1 potholed and hazardous lane, and Shepherd is a parking lot because of the I-10 ramp construction.

/vent. I don't even care about Walmart anymore. I just want to be able to get home at more than 3mph

I'm going to write a short story where a lonely, golden-hearted Wal*Mart trucker with a conscience who is just trying to make a living, accidentally turns onto Yale and goes over the bridge leading to catastrophic structural failure. As the truck plunges into the abyss below, cargo is hurled around in the trailer leading to damage to the top secret Wal*Mart R&D equipment contained therein. The soul essences of Wal*Mart employees mix with the shattered dreams of small town moms and pops, and is subsequently ignited by the spark of imagination from countless chinese underage workers leading to a massive energy release from the resulting matter/anti-matter annihilation. The resulting explosion destroys everything within a quarter mile radius of the bridge and induces some sort of radioactive fallout upon the bedraggled citizens living in the Heights' historic districts. A secondary plot line revolves around the family interactions of one Heights resident who tried to warn everyone about the dangers, and her tragic inability to reach the very people who were in the most danger because she was unable to come across as anything but a self-absorbed know-it-all.

Ooh ooh can we have the fallout create the zombification of everyone within a quarter mile radius?

Can we get back to talking about how they've f'ed up Yale St so badly (between train tracks and I-10) and how it doesn't look like they'll be fixing it anytime soon? I mean really. The new strip center is done and ready to go, but you can't even get to it, let alone drive on that side of the road.

Heights is inexplicably down to 1 lane going NB from Washington, Yale is down to 1 potholed and hazardous lane, and Shepherd is a parking lot because of the I-10 ramp construction.

/vent. I don't even care about Walmart anymore. I just want to be able to get home at more than 3mph

That's what happens when roads are rebuilt. They get demolished first, then they get repaved. But, they don't repave until they replace the underground utilities. Getting our money's worth out of that 380 agreement.

But, if you think this is bad, wait until RUDH succeeds in getting the killer Yale bridge replaced. That will be even more construction. Until it is all finished, just keep your windows up and doors locked, so the zombies can't get you.

Edited by RedScare

That's what happens when roads are rebuilt. They get demolished first, then they get repaved. But, they don't repave until they replace the underground utilities. Getting our money's worth out of that 380 agreement.

But, if you think this is bad, wait until RUDH succeeds in getting the killer Yale bridge replaced. That will be even more construction. Until it is all finished, just keep your windows up and doors locked, so the zombies can't get you.

I know, repaving roads can be a significant undertaking. It's just frustrating because the works seems to have stalled out over the past 2 months or so. The East side of the street is ripped up, and they haven't done anything to it. It's just a big pit.

I think I'm far enough away from Washington Ave to avoid the zombies. Some have been known to make their way all the way up to White Oak on Friday and Saturday nights though. That is worrisome. If they do demolish the bridge, can zombies swim across the bayou? Hmmm. I can't remember a zombie movie where their aversion to water was addressed.

Edited by Jesse

I know, repaving roads can be a significant undertaking. It's just frustrating because the works seems to have stalled out over the past 2 months or so. The East side of the street is ripped up, and they haven't done anything to it. It's just a big pit.

It doesn't help, that heights and studemont under construction as well. amazingly shepherd between washington and memorial was repaved in a week.