Walmart Supercenter At 111 Yale St.

HeyHatch

Walmart at Yale & I-10: For or Against  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Q1: Regarding the proposed WalMart at Yale and I-10:

• I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Q2: If/when this proposed WalMart is built at Yale & I-10

• I am FOR this WalMart and will shop at this WalMart
    • I am FOR this WalMart but will not shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart but will shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart and will not shop at this WalMart
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Q3: WalMart in general

• I am Pro-Walmart
    • I am Anti-Walmart
    • I don't care either way
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

No, you just don't understand set theory.

You don't understand irony. You presented a Venn diagram that doesn't apply to the situation. There are only three elements in your diagram. None of them describe post 1028. Ironic.

Yes. I suggest you read back through the thread.

That doesn't answer the question.

As far as the condition of these apartments. I still question that they are in ill repair. I cycle by them daily and they are in better shape than several others on Heights blvd.

The Heights facade is in reasonably good condition. Try looking at them from Yale.

• Like 1

In other Wal-mart news, from a different perspective :P

Northline Commons in North Houston will kick off the holiday shopping season with the Grand Opening of the new Walmart located adjacent to the center. "We're delighted to welcome Walmart to Northline Commons," stated Eugene O'Brien

Walmart, located at Northline Commons, will be open to customers at 8:00 a.m., Wednesday, October 27.

“We are grateful for the opportunities that Walmart brings to the Northside neighborhood of Houston,” stated Congressman Gene Green. “Walmart brings us a beautiful new shopping opportunity, over 400 new jobs, new tax revenues, and unparalleled corporate generosity in the local community. We welcome Walmart as a win/win for both the shoppers and for our Northside community.”

"Especially in this economy, we know how important it is for our customers to find the best value for their families. They know when they shop at Walmart, they'll get a great price, and they can trust the quality of the product. Walmart is world-renowned for delivering quality, selection, price and customer service," commented O'Brien. "With the newly-designed Walmart store layout, our customers will also enjoy a clean, bright, easy-to-navigate shopping experience offered by the world's largest retailer," stated O'Brien.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/northline-commons-kicks-off-houstons-holiday-shopping-season-with-the-grand-opening-of-walmart-105694668.html

• Like 2

"Heights elitist" Marksmu dismissed demolition concerns on account of them being ugly and unsafe in post #1028.

I'm an elitist....wow I've never been called an elitist....been called a lot of things, mostly a redneck, which goes well with elitist... but I'll just add this to my list of names...maybe Ill add a signature to my name...Marksmu -"redneck elitist"

WalMart bought the land the apartments on....they have every right to bulldoze them once they evict, buy out the tenants leases, or relocate them. Will I cry a tear for the loss of that lovely complex? No I will not. Progress is progress....I dont cry tears for run-down property being bulldozed. People get displaced by progress all the time...its called the real world...Its one of those things you know going in when you rent....you dont have any say at all about whether or not you will be there once your term is up. You don't own it, you don't get a say...your only vote is with your wallet. There is still plenty of affordable inner loop property to be rented or purchased... I wont cry a tear for this loss of this building. If that makes me an elitist in your book , then I guess to you I am an elitist.

I'm an elitist....wow I've never been called an elitist....been called a lot of things, mostly a redneck, which goes well with elitist... but I'll just add this to my list of names...maybe Ill add a signature to my name...Marksmu -"redneck elitist"

WalMart bought the land the apartments on....they have every right to bulldoze them once they evict, buy out the tenants leases, or relocate them. Will I cry a tear for the loss of that lovely complex? No I will not. Progress is progress....I dont cry tears for run-down property being bulldozed. People get displaced by progress all the time...its called the real world...Its one of those things you know going in when you rent....you dont have any say at all about whether or not you will be there once your term is up. You don't own it, you don't get a say...your only vote is with your wallet. There is still plenty of affordable inner loop property to be rented or purchased... I wont cry a tear for this loss of this building. If that makes me an elitist in your book , then I guess to you I am an elitist.

You are not an elitist, but you are misinformed. Walmart has not bought any land yet. They will buy the 15 acre tract west of Yale St where they will cram a suburban supercenter. Ainbinder bought the tract between Yale and Heights. Ainbinder is putting in a retail pad there that will house multiple tenants. Ainbinder is also giving up a right of way to the City across the property to connect Koehler from Yale to Heights. Just wait until you see the traffic mess that intersection will cause.

so we can now stop all the talk about depriving people in the Heights of a Walmart. There is your Walmart. Enjoy. And, if you can wait another year, there will be another on Silber and I-10. Enjoy. With two Walmarts within a five mile radius, we can do just fine without one in the Heights, as we have been doing for over 100 years.

• Like 1

this is the first that i've heard about the heights plaza apartments being demolished. does anyway know if the same is true for the dirt bar?

The drawings show that the new Koehler extention will connect to second street going right through the apartments. Dirt bar will be a Panera bread or bank or something.

Marksmu, it was sarcasm (hence the quotes). I don't think you're an elitist.

You are not an elitist, but you are misinformed.

I'm sorry, but if he's misinformed, what does that make you?

Is there a word for misinformed, but that is stronger and means 'person that not only is the most misinformed, but spreads that misinformation without caring to find out whether the information they have is accurate even after they've been requested many times to provide it'

we need a word that means that.

See, the difference is:

he comes in here and says "I heard this, is it true?"

someone responds giving him the answer and some factual data from a credible source.

You come in here and say "This is true"

anyone asks you for credible references, you either dodge the request and spout more misinformation, or just don't respond.

• Like 2

I'm sorry, but if he's misinformed, what does that make you?

Is there a word for misinformed, but that is stronger and means 'person that not only is the most misinformed, but spreads that misinformation without caring to find out whether the information they have is accurate even after they've been requested many times to provide it'

we need a word that means that.

See, the difference is:

he comes in here and says "I heard this, is it true?"

someone responds giving him the answer and some factual data from a credible source.

You come in here and say "This is true"

anyone asks you for credible references, you either dodge the request and spout more misinformation, or just don't respond.

He said walmart bought the apartment complex. He did not say "I heard Walmart bought the apartment complex, anyone know whether this is true?" He gets on the historic ordinance thread and tells everyone the new ordinance could give the city the power to dictate which political yard signs could go on people's lawn (complete bull). You all give him a pass because he is pro-developer/anti-ordinance. But, you hold me to a near-peer review standard because I hold an opposing viewpoint.

• Like 2

so we can now stop all the talk about depriving people in the Heights of a Walmart. There is your Walmart. Enjoy. And, if you can wait another year, there will be another on Silber and I-10. Enjoy. With two Walmarts within a five mile radius, we can do just fine without one in the Heights, as we have been doing for over 100 years.

How many years did we do fine in the Heights without preservation and histroic districts?

• Like 3

He said walmart bought the apartment complex. He did not say "I heard Walmart bought the apartment complex, anyone know whether this is true?" He gets on the historic ordinance thread and tells everyone the new ordinance could give the city the power to dictate which political yard signs could go on people's lawn (complete bull). You all give him a pass because he is pro-developer/anti-ordinance. But, you hold me to a near-peer review standard because I hold an opposing viewpoint.

I said one and only one thing that was not accurate pertaining to the historical ordinance. The ordinance as originally written allowed the city to control the yard. I used the political yard sign as an example of things they could control in the ordinance...(I did say which political party, and admittedly it was to stir up emotions of others...)it was too far. However the ordinance could potentially prohibit all political yard signs....that is still within the writing of the ordinance. The ordinance remains a terrible over-bearing unwanted ordinance...the vocal minority appears to be getting their way until we can vote out this city council. But that has nothing to do with Walmart....except that most people who support the ordinance are also against he Walmart.

I dont recall saying that I heard Walmart bought the complex. It was my understanding from the beginning that the complex was all part of the Ainbinder purchase...All the artist renditions I have seen have no ugly apartment complex in their background. However, I never said, or at least intentionally said (if I did say, I mis-spoke) WalMart bought anything...from the beginning I have known its Ainbinder running the show for Walmart.

no, Walmart didn't buy the apartment complex, but it is a more factual statement than a lot of the things you have stated as fact in this thread (and even in the post I responded to, but chose to delete). whether walmart signed the contract on the land or not, that retail development has been affectionately (even by you) called Walmart. Eventhough Walmart is a tenant of the retail development. He keeps in line with what everyone else states. Hell, what's the point of this entire thread? Kill the development project because Walmart is a tenant, and every reference by the opposition to the development references the entire retail development as Walmart.

At the point when he made the statements about the ordinance, it didn't rule out the fact that the way it was worded at the time, the government was being granted that power. whether they would use that power or not would have remained to be seen. and unfortunately, the capability (though probably a very big stretch, and against some of the amendments to the bill of rights) is there. If you disagree with my statement, or his, go to the thread about the historic districts (no point in getting farther off topic than we already are) and ask for him, or I, or anyone else that has stated something you don't believe to be true to cite references.

so in your example, he stated what could potentially happen based on fact. how this differs from what you do, is that you state what could happen but you don't base that on fact.

and yeah, I'll be more lenient on people I agree with because I can see from their point of view, and I can see what they are referencing and getting at. If you want to ask him to back up his statements with facts, I encourage it, and I encourage doing the same to to me or anyone who makes a statement of fact without providing references.

Edited by samagon

and yeah, I'll be more lenient on people I agree with because I can see from their point of view, and I can see what they are referencing and getting at. If you want to ask him to back up his statements with facts, I encourage it, and I encourage doing the same to to me or anyone who makes a statement of fact without providing references.

Ok, here is one: City gave Ainbinder a 380 agreement without the application required by ordinance.

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2010/10/heights_walmart_ainbinder_380.php

Must be nice to just have the City give you things. Does this mean a strip mall developer can sue the City under equal protection if the city doesn't give the next strip mall developer a 380 agreement? Are free infrastructure upgrades going to be given away to every developer from now on? Anyone keeping tabs on how much future tax revenue we are giving away (Looks to me @40 mil so far, give or take depending on cost of financing and how you value the dairy's 380 agreement).

How many years did we do fine in the Heights without preservation and histroic districts?

My 1920 bungalow was doing great until 2 weeks ago. Now, my ongoing renovation is in danger of screeching to a halt, even though I have received many compliments on what I have done so far. It seems some people in the Heights and City Hall prefer ugly additions and dilapidated structures to tasteful remodels. Makes no sense to me, but what do I know? I just live here and pay the note.

Maybe once the new Walmart opens I can afford the higher fees required to go in front of the HAHC to get denied on my COA.

Just out of curiosity when did the Heights actually start this obsession with restoring old homes, and the Heights is a very big area that does not have big beautiful homes on every street. Still a mixed ethnic and working class that share these boundaries, or do people investing in these better homes want to separate themselves from the rest of the Heights. The Blvd looks wonderful with the wide streets but I got to tell you it was not like that in the 50's, nothing at all even near that. We had narrow separated traffic of the esplanade with two lanes, old cracked lumpy sidewalks that were never repaired. The new construction had long ceased in the 50's and empty lots were everywhere. In my mind there is only one picture of a historical Heights and that was the main Blvd with the rail, there wasn't that many homes on the Blvd, only the well to do lived there, it was the outskirts of the Heights that grew and became what you now see. Building codes were never strictly enforced until 40 or 45 years ago, this was the way it was. I have a hard time coming to grips with such a small group of people defining what your property should look like or what color the paint is or what ever. What's wrong with the old way, if you wanted to move up and could afford that then that's what you done. Most people wanted to move to Spring Branch 50 years ago, that was the up and coming area to be in. GAWD look at it now!

• Like 1

Ok, here is one: City gave Ainbinder a 380 agreement without the application required by ordinance.

http://blogs.houston...nbinder_380.php

Must be nice to just have the City give you things. Does this mean a strip mall developer can sue the City under equal protection if the city doesn't give the next strip mall developer a 380 agreement? Are free infrastructure upgrades going to be given away to every developer from now on? Anyone keeping tabs on how much future tax revenue we are giving away (Looks to me @40 mil so far, give or take depending on cost of financing and how you value the dairy's 380 agreement).

It seems to me that the HP (as per normal) editorialized a bit and offered no counter point. and furthermore the open statement is very sensational, and until the city comes back and fully states that the application doesn't exist (currently, even according to that article they state that the city is trying to find it) there isn't much point in reading into it too much.

as the ordinance reads to me (don't get me wrong, I ain't no lawyer, but I do have to muddle through confusing manuals and interpret those from the technical intentions of developers to the desired uses of the customers), but that article says that there is no formal 'application'.

the ordinance (linked to in the article: http://vvoice.vo.lln...7/5545889.0.pdf) states that the application will be reviewed by certain people, but not that there is an application "form" such that you would fill out to work as a checker at Randalls.

The ordinance goes on to state that there are 7 requirements from applicants:

1. Letter describing project and it's impact on the community, and the effect on the city

2. business plan

3. environmental survey

4. survey of the property

5. plan for improvements

6. financial statements for 2 previous years

7. application fee

furthermore, according to the ordinance the 'application' is reviewed by the Director of the Department of Planning and Development, and are recommended to city council from there.

Why, other than to try and stall and create uncertainty within the community wouldn't someone go directly to the above mentioned director and ask for that information, rather than accepting the word of what amounts to nothing more than a secretary (administrative assistant). Hell, that secretary probably doesn't even know who the director is, or how to contact him.

I also bet (I don't have any money, so we're gonna have to make a fake bet) that if the open records request was sent to the Mayors office, it would be handled efficiently and according to the letter of the law, with every intention of displaying due process was followed by the city, and any party involved.

Besides all of that....

That article is based soley on what some guy named Colton Candler believes, not on facts (well, other than the fact that a secretary can't find some paperwork in a beurocracy, which is hardly a story):

Colton Candler, a representative for Responsible Urban Development, believes that Nguyen's first e-mail was a mistake, that the city never intended to disclose that a completed 380 agreement from Ainbinder didn't exist.

yeah, that's what I would expect Colton to believe, and to say he believes, I believe it is what he hopes is true and wishes were true, but just because Colton Candler says that he believes it, doesn't mean it is true!

So, that article is based on what someone believes. Hooray for good journalism.

HP really needs to leave real journalism to other people, and stick to what it does well, music reviews, movie reviews, and personal adds.

Edited by samagon

It seems to me that the HP (as per normal) editorialized a bit and offered no counter point. and furthermore the open statement is very sensational, and until the city comes back and fully states that the application doesn't exist (currently, even according to that article they state that the city is trying to find it) there isn't much point in reading into it too much.

as the ordinance reads to me (don't get me wrong, I ain't no lawyer, but I do have to muddle through confusing manuals and interpret those from the technical intentions of developers to the desired uses of the customers), but that article says that there is no formal 'application'.

the ordinance (linked to in the article: http://vvoice.vo.lln...7/5545889.0.pdf) states that the application will be reviewed by certain people, but not that there is an application "form" such that you would fill out to work as a checker at Randalls.

The ordinance goes on to state that there are 7 requirements from applicants:

1. Letter describing project and it's impact on the community, and the effect on the city

2. business plan

3. environmental survey

4. survey of the property

5. plan for improvements

6. financial statements for 2 previous years

7. application fee

furthermore, according to the ordinance the 'application' is reviewed by the Director of the Department of Planning and Development, and are recommended to city council from there.

Why, other than to try and stall and create uncertainty within the community wouldn't someone go directly to the above mentioned director and ask for that information, rather than accepting the word of what amounts to nothing more than a secretary (administrative assistant). Hell, that secretary probably doesn't even know who the director is, or how to contact him.

I also bet (I don't have any money, so we're gonna have to make a fake bet) that if the open records request was sent to the Mayors office, it would be handled efficiently and according to the letter of the law, with every intention of displaying due process was followed by the city, and any party involved.

Besides all of that....

That article is based soley on what some guy named Colton Candler believes, not on facts (well, other than the fact that a secretary can't find some paperwork in a beurocracy, which is hardly a story):

yeah, that's what I would expect Colton to believe, and to say he believes, I believe it is what he hopes is true and wishes were true, but just because Colton Candler says that he believes it, doesn't mean it is true!

So, that article is based on what someone believes. Hooray for good journalism.

HP really needs to leave real journalism to other people, and stick to what it does well, music reviews, movie reviews, and personal adds.

Bravo. That was some pretty hard work to try to rationalize the City's apparent (soon to be obvious) failure to follow the ordinance. You should bill your time to Mayor Parker. Maybe she can get you a 380 agreement for tax payer reimbursement. Some people are getting them even when they don't ask for them.

Come on. Do you really think that it would be hard for someone in the City to find the application (which is defined in the ordinance as the documentation, not some form--although knowing City government there is probably a form too) for one of the most controversial projects in the City since the Ashby Highrise? Your critique of the HPs journalism is really just an exercise in extreme naivete (sorry, can't figure out how to do an accent e on this thing). If the City had it, they would have forked it over. The City obviously doesn't have it and is trying to create it after the fact or get the City attorney to cover their butts as to why they didn't have to get one. The mayor said to the media that the developer did not ask for the 380 agreement, the City offered it. Why would the City make the developer apply for something the City had already decided the developer should get?

• Like 3

Bravo. That was some pretty hard work to try to rationalize the City's apparent (soon to be obvious) failure to follow the ordinance. You should bill your time to Mayor Parker. Maybe she can get you a 380 agreement for tax payer reimbursement. Some people are getting them even when they don't ask for them.

Come on. Do you really think that it would be hard for someone in the City to find the application (which is defined in the ordinance as the documentation, not some form--although knowing City government there is probably a form too) for one of the most controversial projects in the City since the Ashby Highrise? Your critique of the HPs journalism is really just an exercise in extreme naivete (sorry, can't figure out how to do an accent e on this thing). If the City had it, they would have forked it over. The City obviously doesn't have it and is trying to create it after the fact or get the City attorney to cover their butts as to why they didn't have to get one. The mayor said to the media that the developer did not ask for the 380 agreement, the City offered it. Why would the City make the developer apply for something the City had already decided the developer should get?

so you believe what some guy named colton believes, I believe the bureaucracy in our government sucks.

I think we can agree that the application consists of the documents that I outlined?

If so, you can go back a few pages to see the emails that were released (as a result of this exact request for open data) to see when and how some of the studies were done.

whether the 380 is initiated from a business owner who sees an opportunity in the agreement, or the government that sees an opportunity in the business, what difference does it make who initiates the process, so long as the letter of the law is followed?

until there is more than just what some dude (who doesn't like Walmart) saying what he believes to be true regarding the process for 380, I'm not going to agree that the application isn't there. especially when most of the data that comprises what the city outlines as needed has clearly already been reviewed (based on those emails that we saw a few weeks ago) by the city.

besides, as has been stated, this project is going to happen with or without the 380. So, regardless of what happens with the 380, you are going to have a Walmart a few miles away from your house. The only question is now, whether the tax dollars that are being used were appropriated within the letter of the law.

Doth no one dare respond to Materene's points?

Materene is spot on. I hope the Heights HD's are rejected in the reconsideration process. The Heights has achieved what it is without City government intervention, and will be much better off without the new HD ordinance restrictions on new construction and remodeling.

Don't you think that the Metro area is getting tired of the Heights? Unfortunately the Heights has an activist minority that is behaving like a spoiled child clamoring for attention all the time and whining for mother's help. Whining about historic preservation, whining about a Wal-Mart.... What's next? It's time to spank that child!

• Like 5