Walmart Supercenter At 111 Yale St.

HeyHatch

Walmart at Yale & I-10: For or Against  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Q1: Regarding the proposed WalMart at Yale and I-10:

• I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Q2: If/when this proposed WalMart is built at Yale & I-10

• I am FOR this WalMart and will shop at this WalMart
    • I am FOR this WalMart but will not shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart but will shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart and will not shop at this WalMart
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Q3: WalMart in general

• I am Pro-Walmart
    • I am Anti-Walmart
    • I don't care either way
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

Wouldn't the City be obligated to make most of the infrastructure improvements that $6M pays for?

Isn't the City forgoing future taxes rather than paying out cash now? That sounds like a win to me.

Given that the City isn't paying out cash and the developer is, doesn't that mean the City has an advantage from a cost of funds view?

Yeah, this does look like an interest free loan to the City by the developer. I am curious how the taxpayers get screwed by interest free loans. It's not like Yale doesn't NEED to be redone.

• Like 1

Just curious if anyone wants to speculate on what the other stores of this development will be. From the below article the developer estimates there will be 25 to 30 stores.

Let me be the first to bet on a starbucks.

http://www.khou.com/...-101533333.html

Quizno's

Check cash store

AT&T store

Mattress Firm

Chipotle

Wings n Things (I wish)

Spec's (I wish more)

Starsucks

Bed bath and beyond (please god no)

Marble slab

Chuck e cheese (at which point the anti-burbanites' heads explode!!!!)

• Like 1

I read about the special interest groups challenging Larry Flynt in this Chronicle article and thought of the opposition to the Washington Heights Wal-Mart. In particular, what forged the connection was where Larry Flynt stated: "We won't budge when it comes to condomless productions. That's what the consumer wants, and we deliver it." I for one like condomless productions, just like I like Wal-Mart. And I am thankful that Larry Flynt delivers the goods, just like Wal-Mart.

• Like 2

Yeah, this does look like an interest free loan to the City by the developer. I am curious how the taxpayers get screwed by interest free loans. It's not like Yale doesn't NEED to be redone.

You're pissing in the wind, Red. I said the same thing like 30 pages ago. I even posted a couple photos of the barren wasteland that's dividing such normally rational people like the residents of the Heights. One of the photos, a tar-covered, cracked stretch of pavement, looked like it was held together by chewing gum. When I took those photos, I sat there that day and came to a realization about Yale @ Center. Traffic only ever picks up on that road (during non-rush hour times) when a train comes through the area. Otherwise, Yale is a ghost town. Yale is more like Sawyer than I'd even realized. It's Sawyer with an underpass. All you need are some presidential heads, and you have the making of Target 2: Electric Boogaloo. With the exception of Terminator and Star Wars, the sequel is never greeted with the same enthusiasm as the original. I wonder what would have happened had Walmart come before Target.

• Like 1

With the exception of Terminator and Star Wars, the sequel is never greeted with the same enthusiasm as the original. I wonder what would have happened had Walmart come before Target.

It would have been largely the same. Walmart is Pavlov's dog to the enlightened set. Say the word and they bark. If Walmart had come first, the opponents would have merely appeared less hypocritical, as we would not have their welcoming remarks seen in the Target thread.

• Like 3

Quizno's

Check cash store

AT&T store

Mattress Firm

Chipotle

Wings n Things (I wish)

Spec's (I wish more)

Starsucks

Bed bath and beyond (please god no)

Marble slab

Chuck e cheese (at which point the anti-burbanites' heads explode!!!!)

I would love to see the Chuck E Cheese's show up there, it would be fantastic! I dont have kids that would utilize it, but your right about heads exploding! Wow - if that list of yours made it into the development, I can forsee all those Wal Mart Haters using other streets just to avoid seeing this thing...that would certainly alleviate traffic.

• Like 1

FYI - the removals largely come from user reports - we can't and don't babysit every thread and post

So, if I were to complain about something, you would delete it without any research? Seems a reasonable way to run a website. I can't foresee any problems with that.

Edit: DELETE!!

Edited by AtticaFlinch

Oh please - give it up. All complaints are addressed the same.

Really? Weird. Because it took three mentions of this little bit of fugly to get it removed.

No, shut up because you are a hypocrite.

And pretty much everything you'd deleted was a response to that. Or a response to the snob that typed that. (Except, bizarrely, an innocuous post about Chuck E Cheese - Can't be talkin' 'bout no Chuck E Cheese on Haif! We gots important Walmarts to bash!)

Sorry, should have used "reports" instead of "complaints"

That's the only reliable way to address thread issues and so that all mods can see it.

Again, are all "reports" treated with equal sincerity? I think if you want to maintain the air or impartiality, you shouldn't voice your opinion on the subject. Because what look like happened here is you tripped over yourself trying to placate a bunch of whiney snobby bjtches.

I saw more artist renderings of the site than the two linked earlier. are those online anywhere? They actually looked pretty decent.

Renderings and site plan are here:

http://washingtonhei...renderings.html

I'm a little confused, as I thought that the entire area bordered by Yale, (the new section of) Kohler, Heights and the RR tracks was part of this development. The site plan and renderings above only show the NE corner of this area being developed. Is the rest of this area owned by someone else?

Edited by Angostura

I'm a little confused, as I thought that the entire area bordered by Yale, (the new section of) Kohler, Heights and the RR tracks was part of this development. The site plan and renderings above only show the NE corner of this area being developed. Is the rest of this area owned by someone else?

I was always under the assumption that it just going to be within the boundaries of koehler, boner, RR track, yale. I guess for the walmart itself that's true, but the entire development site will span to between yale and heights.

Nice to see they are going to run koehler to 2nd street.

I'd assume the white space is land either not for sale, or owned by someone else.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasite_plan_r3_c2.jpg

site_plan_r4_c1.jpg

Interesting that some people in this thread are saying that the walmart itself is going to be over 200k SF, but looking at the rendering, they only show 150k SF...

what other misinformation have people on here who are against the walmart been spreading?

I mean, I'm not saying that they are purposefully spreading lies, just that they may have been misinformed, and are spreading that misinformation on as fact. To me it makes me feel like the people perpetuating this misinformation are trying to spark fear in everyone in the hopes that we join their cause against the walmart.

The bad thing about that is that all it does it weaken any truths they are saying along with the misinformation, and it makes me feel that they are disingenuous.

edit: It's hard to tell, but lining this up with google maps, is dirt bar part of this deal? Not that I really care, I mean overpriced drinks at a place that's trying to be a dive bar with coke heads all over isn't really my thing, but I have a few friends that love the place.

Edited by samagon

Latest Site Plan (at least the Walmart part):

http://washingtonhei.../site_plan.html

And renderings (there are several different views if you click the icons at the right side of the picture):

Some more info with an overlay view:

http://washingtonheightsdistrict.com/public_infra.html

Edited by heights

I was always under the assumption that it just going to be within the boundaries of koehler, boner, RR track, yale. I guess for the walmart itself that's true, but the entire development site will span to between yale and heights.

Nice to see they are going to run koehler to 2nd street.

I'd assume the white space is land either not for sale, or owned by someone else.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasite_plan_r3_c2.jpg

site_plan_r4_c1.jpg

Interesting that some people in this thread are saying that the walmart itself is going to be over 200k SF, but looking at the rendering, they only show 150k SF...

what other misinformation have people on here who are against the walmart been spreading?

I mean, I'm not saying that they are purposefully spreading lies, just that they may have been misinformed, and are spreading that misinformation on as fact. To me it makes me feel like the people perpetuating this misinformation are trying to spark fear in everyone in the hopes that we join their cause against the walmart.

The bad thing about that is that all it does it weaken any truths they are saying along with the misinformation, and it makes me feel that they are disingenuous.

edit: It's hard to tell, but lining this up with google maps, is dirt bar part of this deal? Not that I really care, I mean overpriced drinks at a place that's trying to be a dive bar with coke heads all over isn't really my thing, but I have a few friends that love the place.

Channel 2 reported 200k sq ft a week or two ago on a news story that featured an interview with a Walmart spokesman. Aside from that, wed night was the first time Walmart would commit to sq ft. Dirt bar has been sold with the apartments (I didn't even know that was a bar). Both will be demolished.

An interesting note about the site plan is that it is unclear whether TxDOT has approved the connection of Bass and the new frontage. The orignal plan for the frontage extension did not include the connection. TxDOT has yet to respond to inquiries on the issue. The developers may have put the cart before the horse on that one. Stay tuned.

Yes the part that borders the rail road tracks and heights is owned by someone else. They have had the same sign up forever. All I know about them is that they don't cut their grass unless you call the 311.

It's hard to tell, but lining this up with google maps, is dirt bar part of this deal? Not that I really care, I mean overpriced drinks at a place that's trying to be a dive bar with coke heads all over isn't really my thing, but I have a few friends that love the place.

From this view you can definitely see that Dirt Bar bites the dirt. It's interesting that these views don't show the other stuff between Yale/Heights being developed. I guess you are right that it must belong to a different developer. I do like the rendering view that looks from NE to SW towards the Walmart with the intersection of Heights/Koehler in the foreground. It looks a heck of a lot better than that same view would look now.

http://washingtonheightsdistrict.com/public_infra.html

Channel 2 reported 200k sq ft a week or two ago on a news story that featured an interview with a Walmart spokesman. Aside from that, wed night was the first time Walmart would commit to sq ft. Dirt bar has been sold with the apartments (I didn't even know that was a bar). Both will be demolished.

understandable misinformation then. Not much you can do with bad reporting, and secretive numbers.

and if Dirt Bar were in my neighborhood I'd be glad of ANY retail that promised to get rid of it, walmart, kohls, saks, whatever, just bulldoze that place into the bayou already!

An interesting note about the site plan is that it is unclear whether TxDOT has approved the connection of Bass and the new frontage. The orignal plan for the frontage extension did not include the connection. TxDOT has yet to respond to inquiries on the issue. The developers may have put the cart before the horse on that one. Stay tuned.

guess we'll see, I had heard people reporting that in current configuration, Yale alone can handle the necessary traffic increase (someone mentioned it after the meeting Wednesday in this thread, and I certainly can't confirm), so who knows whether this street is necessary to be built out, or just hopeful from the developer to continue and reduce the traffic load on Yale for you guys who use it all the time.

understandable misinformation then. Not much you can do with bad reporting, and secretive numbers.

and if Dirt Bar were in my neighborhood I'd be glad of ANY retail that promised to get rid of it, walmart, kohls, saks, whatever, just bulldoze that place into the bayou already!

I always enjoyed a night that involved going to the Dirt Bar it will be a shame to see it replaced with whatever generica is planned for its spot.

Yesterday on my regular late afternoon bike ride through the Heights I noticed that a lot of the blue "StopHeightsWalmart" signs had already come down. Riding back, I caught my neighbor outside and asked if she attended the meeting and she gave me the lowdown. She is a supporter and made the news http://www.khou.com/...-101533333.html She spoke with the Walmart execs after the meeting and they told her it's a done deal.

It's only been reported to be 152,000 square feet since Day 1. Here's a Chronicle article from July 1...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/7090711.html

This same article is posted in the first post of the non-confrontational Walmart thread. I don't see how you could have missed it, unless perhaps you haven't researched what is proposed there (or don't care).

Yesterday on my regular late afternoon bike ride through the Heights I noticed that a lot of the blue "StopHeightsWalmart" signs had already come down. Riding back, I caught my neighbor outside and asked if she attended the meeting and she gave me the lowdown. She is a supporter and made the news http://www.khou.com/...-101533333.html She spoke with the Walmart execs after the meeting and they told her it's a done deal.

Someone has been spotted in a white pickup truck taking Walmart signs. Many have reported having their signs stolen.

What do you think Walmart execs would say? "We don't think we have a snowball's chance"? The City hasn't issued a single permit. The variance for the Koehler reverse curve has been tagged. CM Gonzalez has come out against the development, with others very close to following suit.

It's only been reported to be 152,000 square feet since Day 1. Here's a Chronicle article from July 1...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/7090711.html

This same article is posted in the first post of the non-confrontational Walmart thread. I don't see how you could have missed it, unless perhaps you haven't researched what is proposed there (or don't care).

http://www.click2houston.com/video/24666506/index.html at 26 sec.

Walmart did not confirm anything in the Chronicle article. In another article after they signed the purchase agreement, they still would not commit to sq ft.

http://www.click2houston.com/video/24666506/index.html at 26 sec.

Walmart did not confirm anything in the Chronicle article. In another article after they signed the purchase agreement, they still would not commit to sq ft.

So, in light of Walmart saying nothing, and a developer's site plan showing 152,000 sf, you decide that the prudent thing to do is continually scream that they are planning a monstrosity in excess of 200,000 square feet.

Makes sense to me.

I'm sorry, anyone who looks at this top rendering and thinks that it is not a superb improvement, not only over what is currently there, but also over anything built at Sawyer Target or on Washington Avenue, is simply lying. I realize that these are merely renderings, but the attempt to fit the "character of the Heights" is definitely there.

http://washingtonheightsdistrict.com/renderings.html

Edited by RedScare
  • Like 2