Walmart Supercenter At 111 Yale St.

HeyHatch

Walmart at Yale & I-10: For or Against  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Q1: Regarding the proposed WalMart at Yale and I-10:

• I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Q2: If/when this proposed WalMart is built at Yale & I-10

• I am FOR this WalMart and will shop at this WalMart
    • I am FOR this WalMart but will not shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart but will shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart and will not shop at this WalMart
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Q3: WalMart in general

• I am Pro-Walmart
    • I am Anti-Walmart
    • I don't care either way
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

If all it takes is a pair of tight jeans and some pearl snaps, then I'm a semi-hipster too. And I support the building of this Walmart.

I am not against is so much as i would just like it to look "hip". Its happening so might as well use our protest to encourage its aesthetics and get some improved infrastructure.

I wonder how people would feel if they called it the Rice Military Walmart?

I have a quick "late to the game" kind of question..

A common excuse why not to build is that the Silber location is "better". Why is that? Is this strictly opinion based or have any of the groups against the Walmart shown any data to prove this statement?

Sorry if this question was answered on page 6 of this thread, I just can't bear to read through all the pages of anti-walmart rhetoric. I'm just looking for real data to support this claim.

I have a quick "late to the game" kind of question..

A common excuse why not to build is that the Silber location is "better". Why is that? Is this strictly opinion based or have any of the groups against the Walmart shown any data to prove this statement?

Sorry if this question was answered on page 6 of this thread, I just can't bear to read through all the pages of anti-walmart rhetoric. I'm just looking for real data to support this claim.

The quickest (and most honest) answer to your question: NIMBY

• Like 2

You are the one calling someone pathetic...? How many posts have you made on this thread and you don't live in the area-you live in the 1960 area....? If someone is passionate about what they believe in - whether for or against anything - they have a right to express themselves more than someone sitting up north in EXURBIA speculating on what people should do, think or feel. You are too removed from the heart of the issue.

You are too far removed from the heart of this issue. The store isn't even in your neighborhood.

I would posit that the right to express oneself on this issue is absolute. It matters not whether you live in Washington Heights, Bentonville, AR, the Heights, Eastwood, northwest Harris County, or the Nenets Autonomous Okrug of Russia.

• Like 4

It annoys me more when snobs attempt to mask their snobbery behind civic responsibility than when they're forthright with their snobbery. At least with the latter, you know what you're dealing with. For a couple months now, I've waded through eighteen pages of bilge foisted on us from one side of this argument - all of them lies, all of them designed to hide their true intentions and all designed to stir our emotions and not our sense of reason. When one filthy justification falls flat, they trot out another lie. When that one doesn't stick, they bring out another. Very little gets me worked up, but discrimination and intentional ignorance are chief among the things that do. This misguided opposition to the Walmart have clearly demonstrated both of those qualities, and I've finally lost my patience with it. They're snobs, and if karma was real, the next inner-loop Walmart to get built directly next door to their HAHC-approved houses.

Bravo, sir. Take a bow. You most certainly deserve it.

Hi guys - I know this can be a personal situation but try not to get too personal with words with fellow HAIFers.

kthxbai

Did you have to delete entire posts? You should have exercised your line-item veto power instead of scrapping the entire thing.

West End Walmart...not bad at all.:ph34r:

It's the perfect compromise. Now, Heights residents can take advantage of the low prices and convenience, but still not be mortally embarrassed that such a place as Walmart could be associated with their neighborhood.

Edited by AtticaFlinch
  • Like 1

You are the one telling someone they are wasting their time and energies on this...? How many posts have you made on this thread and you don't live in the area-you live in the 1960 area....? If someone is passionate about what they believe in - whether for or against anything - they have a right to express themselves more than someone sitting up north in EXURBIA speculating on what people should do, think or feel. You are too removed from the heart of the issue.

to say that he is too removed from the heart of the issue is not for you to decide, he has as much as stake for standing up for what he believes in as you have at stake for standing up for what you believe in.

• Like 2

I think it's time to come to terms that this will happen. Much like the Montrose HEB; these retailers are at least listening and making an effort to passify the residents of these well established neighborhoods.

It is my hope, that after it opens, several years down the road, it doesn't become pitted out like Meyer Park or Dunvale. The last time that I went in both of these stores was the last!

Did you have to delete entire posts? You should have exercised your line-item veto power instead of scrapping the entire thing.

The delete was very much deserved. There are very serious civic issues at stake here that are worthy of debate. The City is giving 6 million dollars to a developer not because the developer cannot do the project without it (Ainbinder admitted that last night), but to try to keep the developer from ruining the neighborhood. Another 20 million has been proposed to go to Intown Homes to build houses in the 200-500k range along 1-10 between TC Jester and the Energy Corridor. All this at a time when the city is in a budget deficit and has already maxed out TIRZ tax incentives. But we can't discuss this because you think opponents are bad people.

The city has grandfathered the entire development from having to comply with detention/retention pond flood mitigation because the city claims the entire site was concrete. But, the developer's own arial photography shows large portions of the property that permeable surfaces and no concrete at all. Preferential treatment? No, shut up because you are a hypocrite.

Walmart claims that it will "collect" $780,000 in sales taxes, but won't tell us whether that number reflects any growth in sales taxes or is just $780,000 in taxes that Walmart diverted from other businesses. But we can't talk about whether it is right for a massive corporation to mislead the public and city officials because we are elitists.

The developer wants to get all their permits and start construction by December. But it is not clear whether TxDOT has approved the connection of Bass Ct to the new frontage road. Is the developer just making assumptions in representations to City Council about traffic impact without knowing whether Yale will be the only north/south access? Or do we just have to shut up and let the developer do whatever they want because we will be forcing a few people to drive an extra 2-4 miles to get to a Walmart in a city where people drive 30 miles to get to work without even thinking thet they have a long commute.

If you want to let developers and multinational corporations walk all over the city and its residents, that is fine. But to dismiss all of the opposition on the grounds that it must just be a pretext for elitism is nothing more than an admission that the opponents are right and you have no choice but to demean them because you have no good argument for giving the developers and Walmart a free pass on everything they do.

• Like 6

I think it's time to come to terms that this will happen. Much like the Montrose HEB; these retailers are at least listening and making an effort to passify the residents of these well established neighborhoods.

It is my hope, that after it opens, several years down the road, it doesn't become pitted out like Meyer Park or Dunvale. The last time that I went in both of these stores was the last!

The closest store to me is that one Dunvale and it can be an experience just driving by there. :ph34r:

But to dismiss all of the opposition on the grounds that it must just be a pretext for elitism is nothing more than an admission that the opponents are right and you have no choice but to demean them because you have no good argument for giving the developers and Walmart a free pass on everything they do.

So, when you told me to go live in the suburbs...even though I've lived here 10 years longer than you have, and live closer to the proposed Walmart than you do...was that an admission on your part that you have no good argument for opposing this store?

BTW, I also live closer than the cleaning lady, so by her reasoning she is too far removed from the heart of this issue.

kthxbye.

• Like 2

The delete was very much deserved. There are very serious civic issues at stake here that are worthy of debate. The City is giving 6 million dollars to a developer not because the developer cannot do the project without it (Ainbinder admitted that last night), but to try to keep the developer from ruining the neighborhood. Another 20 million has been proposed to go to Intown Homes to build houses in the 200-500k range along 1-10 between TC Jester and the Energy Corridor. All this at a time when the city is in a budget deficit and has already maxed out TIRZ tax incentives. But we can't discuss this because you think opponents are bad people.

How much money is going to be generated from that land in the form of property tax? A big slab of concrete surely has a lower property value (and thus a lower property tax) than a fully developed retail space. I think it's nice to see our government investing some money to not only ensure that they can get increased revenues in the future, but by being able to ensure the developer doesn't ruin the neighborhood, they can increase property tax revenues across the board.

That's a breath of fresh air to see a government using some funds to ensure better returns in the future. Most governments don't look 6 months in the future.

The city has grandfathered the entire development from having to comply with detention/retention pond flood mitigation because the city claims the entire site was concrete. But, the developer's own arial photography shows large portions of the property that permeable surfaces and no concrete at all. Preferential treatment? No, shut up because you are a hypocrite.

valid question, didn't see this posed earlier in the thread, and I must admit, that I haven't read the whole thing, but perhaps you could have directed our misguided understanding to read a specific response to this thread that outlined this concern.

Perhaps they are going to include the same amount of non-concrete land in the project, in the form of medians, or walkways with permeable surface.

Walmart claims that it will "collect" $780,000 in sales taxes, but won't tell us whether that number reflects any growth in sales taxes or is just $780,000 in taxes that Walmart diverted from other businesses. But we can't talk about whether it is right for a massive corporation to mislead the public and city officials because we are elitists.

first it is 870k not 780k.

Walmart makes that number known as people believe that Walmart gets tax breaks. They state the sales tax as a rebuttal to that claim. So whether the taxes are going through target or walmart are of no consequence, since that wasn't the question.

The questions you should be asking are, how much will this location generate in property tax, compared to what is generated from that location right now? Surely a fully developed retail location will be worth more in property taxes than a slab of concrete with some rubble on it.

The developer wants to get all their permits and start construction by December. But it is not clear whether TxDOT has approved the connection of Bass Ct to the new frontage road. Is the developer just making assumptions in representations to City Council about traffic impact without knowing whether Yale will be the only north/south access? Or do we just have to shut up and let the developer do whatever they want because we will be forcing a few people to drive an extra 2-4 miles to get to a Walmart in a city where people drive 30 miles to get to work without even thinking thet they have a long commute.

Where would one go to find out whether TxDOT has approved or not? If it is unclear, then why not ask the appropriate people for some clarity?

If you want to let developers and multinational corporations walk all over the city and its residents, that is fine. But to dismiss all of the opposition on the grounds that it must just be a pretext for elitism is nothing more than an admission that the opponents are right and you have no choice but to demean them because you have no good argument for giving the developers and Walmart a free pass on everything they do.

asserting ones rights to free speech, in an effort to ensure that the area is going to benefit from any addition, is part of what makes America as great as it is, but, in all fairness...

I think that what erodes the validity of the arguments you have just posed, and that have been posed in this thread, is

Where was this same opposition to the Target when it was being developed?

How much money did the city invest to ensure that it didn't ruin the neighborhood?

I don't see a retention pond at the location at all, why wasn't it done at that location?

How much of the sales tax that Target pays out to the city was just taken from other stores?

Were all of the road improvements completely known when the project began?

edit, and the $11ty billion question:

The plan of the landowner was to sell this for it to be developed, whether it was Walmart or someone else, would you still have these concerns, and would you voice them as vocally if it were any other retailer than Walmart?

Edited by samagon
  • Like 3

This I can agree with 100% being a semi-hipster myself (I own a pair of tight jeans, a shirt with pearl snaps and not one, but two fixed gear bikes) the Heights doesn't have the right vibe for living, it just feels like everyone is trying too hard.

Clearly you have never visited my block. We tend to pursue our quest for good-vibe living aided by the generous sharing and consumption of wine and martinis. Makes for some interesting arguments :lol: Though not about Wal-Mart! We're all OK with that.

However, I don't have a fixie (though I bow to you who can ride one without crashing) and I have long passed the age where I can pull off skinny jeans.

• Like 1

I don't think he's really a snob. He just moved to the Heights last year, and I think he is simply trying to gain Heights street cred. He argues for historic districts and against a Walmart. Instant street cred. The Walmart stuff is pretty harmless when all is said and done. The store gets built, none of us sees it, unless you live in the 6 townhomes that are near it, he gets to tell other Heights neighbors he fought the evil empire, and all is well. Even if somehow the Walmart wasn't built, it wouldn't hurt much, since others are being built. The historic district is the one that will cost us time and money.

• Like 2

Clearly you have never visited my block. We tend to pursue our quest for good-vibe living aided by the generous sharing and consumption of wine and martinis. Makes for some interesting arguments :lol: Though not about Wal-Mart! We're all OK with that.

However, I don't have a fixie (though I bow to you who can ride one without crashing) and I have long passed the age where I can pull off skinny jeans.

there are exceptions to every rule, and I wish you joy while living in the Heights!

One can never pass the age of pulling off skinny jeans, it's all a state of mind. At least that's what I tell myself whenever I put them on. :lol:

But, if you want to embrace the hipster without dressing up, or riding a fixie, you need to trade the wine and martinis for a PBR :P

I don't think he's really a snob. He just moved to the Heights last year, and I think he is simply trying to gain Heights street cred. He argues for historic districts and against a Walmart. Instant street cred. The Walmart stuff is pretty harmless when all is said and done. The store gets built, none of us sees it, unless you live in the 6 townhomes that are near it, he gets to tell other Heights neighbors he fought the evil empire, and all is well. Even if somehow the Walmart wasn't built, it wouldn't hurt much, since others are being built. The historic district is the one that will cost us time and money.

Well, not "instant" street cred. He has to kinda work on it a little here, at least. Everybody that wants instant street cred just puts a sign up in their yard. 20 years ago it was just the same, except all the signs said No Trespassing or Beware of Dog.

there are exceptions to every rule, and I wish you joy while living in the Heights!

One can never pass the age of pulling off skinny jeans, it's all a state of mind. At least that's what I tell myself whenever I put them on. :lol:

But, if you want to embrace the hipster without dressing up, or riding a fixie, you need to trade the wine and martinis for a PBR :P

Lonestar.

Well, not "instant" street cred. He has to kinda work on it a little here, at least. Everybody that wants instant street cred just puts a sign up in their yard. 20 years ago it was just the same, except all the signs said No Trespassing or Beware of Dog.

Or, "Please stop feeding rice to my chickens."

Maybe drink some coffee at Antidote and name drop a few stores on 19th Street. It doesn't take much. Oh, it probably helps to to have a HuffPost icon on your iPhone, too.

Lonestar.

Or, "Please stop feeding rice to my chickens."

Ha, I had written PBR or LoneStar, then decided to delete and stick with just PBR, thanks for calling me out on it :D

we still have those signs in my neighborhood, but if a chicken wonders into my yard and starts tearing my garden all up, she needs some rice to help calm down.

Extra points if you walked there.

extra extra points if you walked there with your fixie, or am I confusing that place with Agora in Montrose?

Edited by samagon

Maybe some ridiculous fad like $4 cupcakes will get the haterz back on board...

oh no. That is worse than the dreaded WM itself. I am anxiously waiting for the cup cake craze to end and the littering of derelict shoppes around town.

Wouldn't the City be obligated to make most of the infrastructure improvements that $6M pays for?

Isn't the City forgoing future taxes rather than paying out cash now? That sounds like a win to me.

Given that the City isn't paying out cash and the developer is, doesn't that mean the City has an advantage from a cost of funds view?

• Like 2