Walmart Supercenter At 111 Yale St.

HeyHatch

Walmart at Yale & I-10: For or Against  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Q1: Regarding the proposed WalMart at Yale and I-10:

• I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Q2: If/when this proposed WalMart is built at Yale & I-10

• I am FOR this WalMart and will shop at this WalMart
    • I am FOR this WalMart but will not shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart but will shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart and will not shop at this WalMart
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Q3: WalMart in general

• I am Pro-Walmart
    • I am Anti-Walmart
    • I don't care either way
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

Boycotting a store you like to try to hurt one you don't does not make any sense and will in no way help to achieve the result that you are looking for. I know what an effective boycott is, and in this case only your boycott of Wal-Mart itself makes sense. Otherwise by extension you may as well just boycott the entire city, that'll show 'em.

I posted prior that it is my personal choice and that boycotts are valid. Please don't lecture me about boycotts-I have seen a major boycott work firsthand, my parents marched with Cesar Chavez in California. And before everyone starts with the flippant stereotyping - my parents were not hippies or ultra liberals. My father was a Rocket Scientist....oh but he did always wear a pocket protector to work and wore ties with short sleeved shirts :)

Edited by CleaningLadyinCleveland

I have to laugh. Took a bike ride around the Heights area yesterday and anecdotally at least 80% of the Anti-Walmart blue signs I saw were in yards of recent construction McVics and townhouses. So the pariahs of the Historic District's pros are now protesting the pariahs of the retail business. Who says this isn't about classism?

You should come to my neighborhood. Virtually no new construction. Plenty of no Walmart signs.

When I took some classes at UH I only saw a couple convenience store "food marts" around there never a grocery/ pharmacy supercenter. Especially considering that Wal MArt is planning on having one every 5 miles or so on the west side of Houston but has no plans for poorer east side.

hmmm...

there's a HEB on Scott/OST (2.2 miles from Elgin/Cullen)

there's a Kroger on Cullen/Polk (0.9 miles from Elgin/Cullen)

there's a Randalls on Louisiana/Hadley (2.9 miles from Elgin/Cullen)

there's a Fiesta on San Jacinto/Wheeler (2.9 miles from Elgin/Cullen)

I mean, you can't just walk across the street and be serviced by a Randalls or whatever, but there's plenty close by.

For comparison...

there's a Kroger on wGray/Woodhead (2.5 miles from 6th/Heights)

afaik the closest Randall's is the same as above, Louisiana/Hadley (4 miles from 6th/Heights)

Fiesta on Allgreg/Studewood (1.4 Miles from 6th/Heights)

HEB on TC Jester/18th (2.9 miles from 6th/Heights)

so yeah, unless there are closer places in the Heights that I can't see on Google maps, they are both serviced about the same currently. One thing I can't see is where they would put a walmart on the east side near UH campus. The fingers lot would have been a great opportunity (and I'm sure they would have loved to get their hands on it), but otherwise, I don't think there are many sites as big as even the space on Yale. I'm certainly not aware of any that are available?

hmmm...

I mean, you can't just walk across the street and be serviced by a Randalls or whatever, but there's plenty close by.

For comparison...

afaik the closest Randall's is the same as above, Louisiana/Hadley (4 miles from 6th/Heights)

so yeah, unless there are closer places in the Heights that I can't see on Google maps, they are both serviced about the same currently. One thing I can't see is where they would put a walmart on the east side near UH campus. The fingers lot would have been a great opportunity (and I'm sure they would have loved to get their hands on it), but otherwise, I don't think there are many sites as big as even the space on Yale. I'm certainly not aware of any that are available?

You forgot the Kroger on 11th and Shepherd, the Fiesta just up the road on Shepher and the Kroger on 20th. There used to be a HEB pantry market on 11th and Yale. It closed because the neighborhood gentrified and no longer supported a discount grocer.

Walmart talks a lot of talk about a grocery store. But they do the supercenter walk instead. If Walmart just wanted to do one of their neighborhood grocery stores, there would be little to complain about. But, Walmart is not just going for a supercenter (200,000 sq ft as reported by Ch. 2), they are going to build some superduper urban supercenter that is supposed to serve the ENTIRE CITY. Just take a look at their propagana mailer and website. That means all bets are off as far as traffic goes.

...don't think so - it will be the kiss of death for any local business to be there if the proposed Wal-Mart is built there. Wal-Mart cooties are hard to wash off and anyone that shops there probably feels like taking a shower afterward. I love Spec's -but if the proposed Wal-Mart is built and Spec's opens a store there - I will not patronize any of their stores.

Like I said, it'll be a pretty small minority.

I'd bet that 80% of people won't even realize that the places along Heights are the same development as the Walmart, and in a few years, even most of those that do won't care anyway.

I completely agree - hell, I live on the SE side in a "depressed" neighborhood compared to much of the greater Heights and I'm right there with the opposition..

I'm probably in your same neighborhood and I'm in favor.......so yes, all walks of life.

Of course, I'm retired and on a fixed income. HEB simply does not carry all the things I like in groceries. Walmart doesn't either, but they do have more of those items than HEB. Plus, Walmart will match any other grocery store ad price for the same product. Steaks, grapes or bread, etc.

Big problem with many grocery chains now is that they seem to carry more and more house brands and less national brands.

I think she would be boycotting the developer.

Obviously, but only indirectly. If you are mad at your boss, punching your coworker doesn't really accomplish anything.

I posted prior that it is my personal choice and that boycotts are valid. Please don't lecture me about boycotts-I have seen a major boycott work firsthand, my parents marched with Cesar Chavez in California. And before everyone starts with the flippant stereotyping - my parents were not hippies or ultra liberals. My father was a Rocket Scientist....oh but he did always wear a pocket protector to work and wore ties with short sleeved shirts :)

Tell me about this major boycott. Were innocent parties not directly involved with the issue at question also boycotted?

But, Walmart is not just going for a supercenter (200,000 sq ft as reported by Ch. 2), they are going to build some superduper urban supercenter that is supposed to serve the ENTIRE CITY.

I doubt this location is to serve the "ENTIRE CITY" as much of Houston (especially the southern fringes just inside and outside of the Beltway) is already served by Wal-Mart & Supercenter locations, with exception to the inner loop and the north side.

Edited by JLWM8609

I doubt this location is to serve the "ENTIRE CITY" as much of Houston (especially the southern fringes just inside and outside of the Beltway) is already served by Wal-Mart & Supercenter locations, with exception to the inner loop and the north side.

And they are building supercenters at I-10 and Silber and I-45 at Crosstimbers. But, this is Walmart's own rhetoric. They are polling all over the city. They are sending mailers all over the city. Their own mailers and website claim that this is going to be some sort of super special concept for the whole city. It is one thing to put in a supercenter in the middle of a densely populated urban area that has no interest in a Walmart, it is another thing to market the supercenter as being some super special concept to get everyone in the City interested in shopping there.

hmmm...

Yeah I completely missed the one on Cullen/polk I usually turned south by Scott. That is certainly close.

For comparison...

so yeah, unless there are closer places in the Heights that I can't see on Google maps, they are both serviced about the same currently.

Add:

1 Texas Kroger on 11th at Shepherd (1.4)

2 Another Kroger on 20th at Yale (1.6)

3 Even DiscoKroger on Montrose sneaks in the 2.9 Mile perimeter used above

4 Fiesta at Shepherd and 23rd (2.5)

5 Fiesta at Quitman and Fulton (2.5)

So your 3 above that are under 2.9 miles plus the above five will get you 8.

then you add

9. New whole foods at waugh and w. Dallas (1.7)

10. New Wal Mart at Koehler and yale (0.6)

So that will get you a ratio of about 2:1 in the grocery comparison using exsisiting stores. WalMart + Whole Foods will get you up to 2.5:1.

You forgot the Kroger on 11th and Shepherd, the Fiesta just up the road on Shepher and the Kroger on 20th. There used to be a HEB pantry market on 11th and Yale. It closed because the neighborhood gentrified and no longer supported a discount grocer.

Walmart talks a lot of talk about a grocery store. But they do the supercenter walk instead. If Walmart just wanted to do one of their neighborhood grocery stores, there would be little to complain about. But, Walmart is not just going for a supercenter (200,000 sq ft as reported by Ch. 2), they are going to build some superduper urban supercenter that is supposed to serve the ENTIRE CITY. Just take a look at their propagana mailer and website. That means all bets are off as far as traffic goes.

didn't forget Kroger, Fiesta, or the others, I know that area about as well as the guy I responded to knows the area around UH, I used google maps to find the closest places.

Anyway, they don't talk about only a grocery store, I suggest you go and look at their website.

and to add to the point that I was making to the guy I was responding to, yes, I agree east and southeast Houston are needing some options for grocery, and in general. if I want a place like walmart or target, I have to drive down 45 to walmart on almeda, or up to target on i10, but then, where could something closer to UH be? (I live only half a mile from UH, so that location works well for me), gulfgate maybe? something closer to navigation, or maybe harrisburg?

Anyway, that's for another discussion.

Edited by samagon

I agree east and southeast Houston are needing some options for grocery, and in general. if I want a place like walmart or target, I have to drive down 45 to walmart on almeda, or up to target on i10, but then, where could something closer to UH be? (I live only half a mile from UH, so that location works well for me)

The Target at S. Main and OST is not that far from UH. In fact, it's slightly closer to UH than the Target on I-10 is.

I am not afraid to say that I am in favor of the Walmart. I like to shop at Walmart because they often have all of the varied items that I need, which saves me from going multiple places. They also usually have a good price compared to other stores. I take solace in knowing that no matter how much the NIMBY's jump up and down and get red in the face screaming about how awful they think Walmart is, the Walmart will still get built.

I think the best course of action for those of us that are not anti-Walmart is to reach out to Walmart and the developer and make suggestions about how we think the project can fit into the area around our neighborhood. We can keep our campaign positive. Perhaps Walmart will see that we are somewhat silent supporters and we can benefit by helping shape a store that better meets our needs.

When the store is completed, we can enjoy shopping there and the anti-Walmart folks can enjoy driving all over town and spending either more time or more money (or both) to get what they need.

• Like 1

The Target at S. Main and OST is not that far from UH. In fact, it's slightly closer to UH than the Target on I-10 is.

Yeah, but I'd be willing to bet that it takes twice as long to get there. And I used to live in between the two and patronize both--however reluctantly.

What, do you think it closed because it was making too much money?

It closed as part of a broad realignment of HEB's supply chain and retailing strategy. Numerous HEB Pantry stores closed at about that same time throughout the Houston region. The Heights may as well have been Seabrook. ...it didn't matter.

It closed as part of a broad realignment of HEB's supply chain and retailing strategy. Numerous HEB Pantry stores closed at about that same time throughout the Houston region. The Heights may as well have been Seabrook. ...it didn't matter.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2000/07/31/story4.html

yep, but revisionist history is where it's at.

not saying the people that have commented on why the HEB closed that location were revising history, but they are passing on rumor without verifying the validity of the claims.

We don't live in a small town. We all have chosen to live right smack dab in the middle of the 4th largest city in the nation. The more possible options there are to shop close by for varied items at varied locations, the happier I am. People act like we're in small town east texas and Wal*Mart is going to come in and put all our friends and family out of business and force us all to work there. As far as, traffic goes, I find it hard to imagine a better place for this center (so long as the access to both directions on I-10 are improved, which will happen). In the Heights, people being concerned about Heights Blvd is pointless. Heights Blvd, by its very nature serves only us, it doesnt go anywhere, or do any other job besides run from our neighborhood to I-10. If anything, its utility will be improved because it will be possible in the future to actually get on Heights and head south, and then actually go West from the neighborhood rather than trudging down the hideous snarl of Washington Ave, or going 11th to get through the Shepherd/Durham intersections, or to have to actually drive down neighborhood residential cross streets to get to Studewood or Durham. The same thing applies to Yale, IMO even though it is a through street, it will become more convenient for us after the development is done. There is an argument that it will cause more traffic from the north, but having lived and driven in this area all my life, I doubt very many people will drive down Yale to get to this center except us neighborhood residents. I-45 will be a much more convenient option for the majority of people coming from the North, while those further west in areas like Oak Forest/Garden Oaks will use Durham/Shepherd and I-10. The vast majority of any traffic from the North of this thing is going to use the interstate(s) to get there or maybe Shepherd which is already a major high traffic corridor with 4 lanes each way for that purpose. If there are any traffic issues they have nothing to do with the Heights and everything to do with the routes from the South to this thing from Waugh and the narrower more urban sections of Shepherd and the horrible access that Washington Ave already provides East/West.

The only major danger to creating a traffic snarl at Yale/Heights for us is probably, well, US. The fact that there will now actually be a Heights/Yale exit wehen traveling East on I-10 is likely to make those two options more viable for neighborhood residents to use to get home rather than every single person in the Heights exiting Studewood and Shepherd. Probably will increase traffic on Yale/Heights at rush hour, more than WalMart shoppers ever would, but also probably will aleviate some issues at other areas. In any case, I'm pretty sure those access roads are going in no matter who the anchor store in this development is, and if memory serves, the smallish resistance to those roads failed a long while back.

Edited by JJxvi
  • Like 6

We don't live in a small town. We all have chosen to live right smack dab in the middle of the 4th largest city in the nation. The more possible options there are to shop close by for varied items at varied locations, the happier I am. People act like we're in small town east texas and Wal*Mart is going to come in and put all our friends and family out of business and force us all to work there. As far as, traffic goes, I find it hard to imagine a better place for this center (so long as the access to both directions on I-10 are improved, which will happen). In the Heights, people being concerned about Heights Blvd is pointless. Heights Blvd, by its very nature serves only us, it doesnt go anywhere, or do any other job besides run from our neighborhood to I-10. If anything, its utility will be improved because it will be possible in the future to actually get on Heights and head south, and then actually go West from the neighborhood rather than trudging down the hideous snarl of Washington Ave, or going 11th to get through the Shepherd/Durham intersections, or to have to actually drive down neighborhood residential cross streets to get to Studewood or Durham. The same thing applies to Yale, IMO even though it is a through street, it will become more convenient for us after the development is done. There is an argument that it will cause more traffic from the north, but having lived and driven in this area all my life, I doubt very many people will drive down Yale to get to this center except us neighborhood residents. I-45 will be a much more convenient option for the majority of people coming from the North, while those further west in areas like Oak Forest/Garden Oaks will use Durham/Shepherd and I-10. The vast majority of any traffic from the North of this thing is going to use the interstate(s) to get there or maybe Shepherd which is already a major high traffic corridor with 4 lanes each way for that purpose. If there are any traffic issues they have nothing to do with the Heights and everything to do with the routes from the South to this thing from Waugh and the narrower more urban sections of Shepherd and the horrible access that Washington Ave already provides East/West.

The only major danger to creating a traffic snarl at Yale/Heights for us is probably, well, US. The fact that there will now actually be a Heights/Yale exit wehen traveling East on I-10 is likely to make those two options more viable for neighborhood residents to use to get home rather than every single person in the Heights exiting Studewood and Shepherd. Probably will increase traffic on Yale/Heights at rush hour, more than WalMart shoppers ever would, but also probably will aleviate some issues at other areas. In any case, I'm pretty sure those access roads are going in no matter who the anchor store in this development is, and if memory serves, the smallish resistance to those roads failed a long while back.

You are right. We do not live in a small down. We live in a very dense urban environment. The supercenter concept was designed to be put on the outskirts of town where land is very cheap and there was minimal demands on roadways. The idea was to draw people away from the local shopping district so they would do all their shopping at the supercenter in one stop. Walmart replicated this model in larger cities by building on the outskirts of suburban areas. After anemic sales growth last year (1%), Walmart has realized that this business model has jumped the shark. Now, Walmart wants to just take a supercenter and jam it right in the middle of densely populated urban areas. This the exact opposite of the model for smart and sustainable urban development (smaller retail centers in walkable neighborhoods to diminish traffic congestion).

The average Walmart generates an average of 10,000 car trips a day. That number is based on stores that are in suburban areas. Walmart is marketing the Yale location as some super duper new concept store that will serve the entire city. Thus, the Yale location will generate significantly more traffic than an average store because it is in a densely populated urban area and is being marketed as a special flagship urban store. Add to that the increased traffic burden created by a new east bound feeder road an Yale St. exit (this will be a preferred alternate for downtown commuters as they can get on Memorial from Waugh without waiting for a traffic light and well before the I-10 45 traffic), and you are looking at possibly three times the current traffic volume on Yale, while adding two traffic lights. between I-10 and Washington. There will be gridlock as there is barely a tenth of a mile between the new light at I-10 and the new light at Koehler and similar gridlock between the proposed extension of Koehler to Heights Blvd.

Walmart will have an affect on small businesses. It always does. It won't be quite the same dynamic as what happens in small towns. What will happen is that the traffic burden will change the face of development. Big national chains (everything from Quiznos to check cashers to mobile phones to Best Buy) will want to build in the area as the traffic count goes up. Restaurants and bars will not. Small businesses will have trouble because they will see their rents rise as national chains move in to the area.

Finally, if Walmart must have a store inside the loop, there are plenty of locations that would be beneficial for both Walmart and the immediate area. There are brownfields galore out around Old Katy Rd, Hemstead Rd, and W 11. A Walmart out there would help revitalized an area that is being abandonned by industry and is seeing a lot of new residential construction. There are opportunities on S. Main for a Walmart that would actually serve an underserved southside market. East of Downtown, there are plenty of lots on Navigation that could be remediated to become a Walmart that would serve a truly underserve eastside market. But, instead of going where Walmart is actually wanted and needed, Walmart is going to go right into an area that is already full of traffic and bring in people from underserved areas miles away to ruin a resurgent area with traffic, crime and piles of the same old coat tail retail development that follows Walmart everywhere. You just cannot cram a supercenter concept into a neighborhood that was originally desinged for trolleys and model Ts. Supercenters are suburban stores and are not compatible with urban life.

• Like 3

In the Heights, people being concerned about Heights Blvd is pointless. Heights Blvd, by its very nature serves only us, it doesnt go anywhere, or do any other job besides run from our neighborhood to I-10.

Heights south of I-10 is also a bike path, and while many people dismiss bicycle commuting as quaint or stupid the grand still-undisclosed modification of Heights Blvd could marginalize the bike path.

Supercenters are suburban stores and are not compatible with urban life.

You continue to demonstrate that you're not actually opposed to Walmart, but that you're just opposed to Walmart in this location. Do you really think a Walmart will diminish your cool street cred that much? And, your predictions about the deleterious effects this Walmart will have on the local traffic are grossly exaggerated at best. Why do you continue to mock the future with such blatant disregard for probability? Sure, the intersection at Yale and I-10 could become an impossible quagmire, the likes of which have never before been seen, and the damage wrought to the neighborhood and city as a whole may be immeasureable in real dollars or community morale. But, really... yeah, you'll see an uptick in traffic. So what? These things happen, and would happen regardless of what's built there. The only way to prevent that would be to legislate the crap out of those empty wastelands, preventing any future development there at all. And I doubt you're actually ok with that. You want something there, you just don't want it to be Walmart. Fortunately, the decision isn't yours to make.

As for your continued suggestion that there are more suitable locations for a Walmart development, how do you know those aren't also in the planning stages? Are you suggesting that you know more about retail development and store placement (beyond just location - to also include priority and time) than the ultra-successful multibillion dollar machine that is Walmart? If so, your arrogance knows no bounds. If not, you're merely a snob who doesn't want Walmart nearby. If there's a third personality option that I've missed, you've yet to display it, so get over yourself.

Also, the Heights is a suburb.

Edited by AtticaFlinch
  • Like 1

Heights south of I-10 is also a bike path, and while many people dismiss bicycle commuting as quaint or stupid the grand still-undisclosed modification of Heights Blvd could marginalize the bike path.

I don't see where this has happened. I think most people would like an increase in bike paths in the city core. There's an entire thread on it somewhere.

Also, if this really is a concern of yours, perhaps you may find it more fruitful to communicate these concerns with the developer in order to gain some concessions rather than outright argue against the development and get nothing. Don't be an obstructionist. Learn to compromise.

Yes it "could" marginalize the bike path, but we don't know. The anchor store is going to be west of Yale anyway and not on Heights, so I'm not sure that Heights will see near the impact that we imagine. In any case, not seeing a site plan or anything like that, its possible that bicycle traffic will be improved and not marginalized. The most comparable development to this one that exists is Sawyer Heights. Right now its possible for me to leave my front gate, hit a path and end up 100 yards from the front doors of a Target store, so its hard for me to say definitively what Ainbender or the city will do in this case.

Edited by JJxvi

You continue to demonstrate that you're not actually opposed to Walmart, but that you're just opposed to Walmart in this location. Do you really think a Walmart will diminish your cool street cred that much? And, your predictions about the deleterious effects this Walmart will have on the local traffic are grossly exaggerated at best. Why do you continue to mock the future with such blatant disregard for probability? Sure, the intersection at Yale and I-10 could become an impossible quagmire, the likes of which have never before been seen, and the damage wrought to the neighborhood and city as a whole may be immeasureable in real dollars or community morale. But, really... yeah, you'll see an uptick in traffic. So what? These things happen, and would happen regardless of what's built there. The only way to prevent that would be to legislate the crap out of those empty wastelands, preventing any future development there at all. And I doubt you're actually ok with that. You want something there, you just don't want it to be Walmart. Fortunately, the decision isn't yours to make.

As for your continued suggestion that there are more suitable locations for a Walmart development, how do you know those aren't also in the planning stages? Are you suggesting that you know more about retail development and store placement (beyond just location - to also include priority and time) than the ultra-successful multibillion dollar machine that is Walmart? If so, your arrogance knows no bounds. If not, you're merely a snob who doesn't want Walmart nearby. If there's a third personality option that I've missed, you've yet to display it, so get over yourself.

Also, the Heights is a suburb.

You do not live near the proposed Wal-Mart -you live in EXURBIA! Therefore your comments about traffic are pretty flippant as you will not be affected nor will you have to drive this area every day at differing times. Your continuing comments are just conjecture of something that will not affect you on a daily basis - therefore don't really carry much weight or substance. I (and I'm sure others) would rather hear from both sides that live in the 3 miles radius.

• Like 2

Yes it "could" marginalize the bike path, but we don't know.

That's right. We don't. But it could. It might not increase crime, but chances are greater that it will. There is a slim possibility it will not increase flooding or cause more polluted run offs in to our water, but statistically chances are significantly greater that it will. It may allow some small businesses to survive, but there will be more loss than gain in the independent, local business. Local businesses help our economy more than national retailers, especially big boxes. No one truly knows what WILL happen, but based on what has happened in other cities and towns, the stats lean toward the negative impacts being much more likely and that is what people are trying to do- prevent the negative or at least mitigate it as much as possible (knowing that any development will bring increases in the negative but if done wisely can be much less than Walmart).

• Like 1

You do not live near the proposed Wal-Mart -you live in EXURBIA! Therefore your comments about traffic are pretty flippant as you will not be affected nor will you have to drive this area every day at differing times. Your continuing comments are just conjecture of something that will not affect you on a daily basis - therefore don't really carry much weight or substance. I (and I'm sure others) would rather hear from both sides that live in the 3 miles radius.

This petty argument again? Do you need me to repeat myself? Prior to moving to the 'burbs just a few short months ago, I'd lived in Montrose and Greenway for a few years, and back then I sure would have liked a Walmart nearby as it was a pain in the ass and expensive to live, and I'm still concerned with what happens in the area. Regardless, I don't see how that applies to anything having to do with my input or opinion about this store. Yours is just more Heights conceit, thinking this store is all about you. It's selfish. It's petty. It's a weak argument, and it demonstrates your overinflated sense of self-importance. As a resident of the petro metro, regardless of where I live in it - past or present, I've got a vested interest in ALL things that happen here. Your myopia may not allow you to see beyond the ambiguous borders of your neighborhood, but I've got 20/20 vision, you snob.

• Like 3

I don't see where this has happened. I think most people would like an increase in bike paths in the city core. There's an entire thread on it somewhere.

Also, if this really is a concern of yours, perhaps you may find it more fruitful to communicate these concerns with the developer in order to gain some concessions rather than outright argue against the development and get nothing. Don't be an obstructionist. Learn to compromise.

I never contested them putting a store there the way the current grid is laid out, only altering Heights Blvd to do it seems too instrusive to me. If someone doesn't have plans to improve it, then I assume they are going to make it worse. Maybe that isn't fair, but there are too many inadequate "bike paths" as it is. I think I said somewhere before that if south heights was made to look like north heights then I would be all for it.