Walmart Supercenter At 111 Yale St.

HeyHatch

Walmart at Yale & I-10: For or Against  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Q1: Regarding the proposed WalMart at Yale and I-10:

• I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Q2: If/when this proposed WalMart is built at Yale & I-10

• I am FOR this WalMart and will shop at this WalMart
    • I am FOR this WalMart but will not shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart but will shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart and will not shop at this WalMart
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Q3: WalMart in general

• I am Pro-Walmart
    • I am Anti-Walmart
    • I don't care either way
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

Heights Boulevard is a thoroughfare - but not a major one.

MAJOR THOROUGHFARE: Major, multimodal streets in urban areas (arterials and collectors) which are designed to complement and support adjacent land uses.

Actually, "Major Collectors" are a separate category considered by the City of Houston to be something less than a "Major Thoroughfare." The collectors in your area are Pecore St., Sawyer St., Patton St., and Crockett St.

The West End Wal-Mart will be convenient to not one, but TWO major thoroughfares, whereas the Sawyer Heights Target inflicted itself upon a lonely collector. Where traffic is concerned, Wal-Mart is very obviously the more forgiving of the two stores.

Article regarding the walmart on swamplot.

http://swamplot.com/...-20/#more-21106

The project’s leasing broker tells Bivins he wants “chef-driven restaurants, local boutiques and non-chain outlets” to occupy the new retail spaces on Yale and Heights Blvd., which he views as an extension to recent developments along Washington Ave.

Can they really pick and choose like that? I wouldn't think so, so let's just expect a verizon store, mattress store, check cashing place, and some crappy asian chain restaurant.

Edited by 20thStDad

Can they really pick and choose like that? I wouldn't think so, so let's just expect a verizon store, mattress store, check cashing place, and some crappy asian chain restaurant.

Good point. It's difficult to retrofit 'cool neighborhood' businesses.

Can't force da funk.

Yeah, maybe one of those things they were talking about. Is there already a La Michoacana Meat Market nearby? That'd be a sort of locally-owned parasite to the Wal-Mart.

Yeah, maybe one of those things they were talking about. Is there already a La Michoacana Meat Market nearby? That'd be a sort of locally-owned parasite to the Wal-Mart.

Shepherd at 14th, is that close enough?

I'm still pulling for an indoor rock gym and a Spec's, since they closed the other one.

I'm still pulling for an indoor rock gym and a Spec's, since they closed the other one.

Ah, there you go. A liquor store. The perfect (locally-owned) compliment to a Wal-Mart. I'd definitely be willing to panhandle in front of that! :)

• Like 2

Ah, there you go. A liquor store. The perfect (locally-owned) compliment to a Wal-Mart. I'd definitely be willing to panhandle in front of that! :)

"Liquor store" makes it sound so sin-ny. I prefer "Liquid happiness depot", or "help-me-forget-the-fascist-ordinance-being-shoved-up-my-arse-juice store".

Someone who uses Facebook should really start a page about building a Spec's in this development. I hear that's the best way to get what you want these days.

• Like 3

It looks like there is a daycare facility in the West End Multi-Service center on the east side of Heights Blvd (Is that place even still open?) so Spec's might be a little gun-shy about the "prohibited distance" crap that sunk their other location.

It looks like there is a daycare facility in the West End Multi-Service center on the east side of Heights Blvd (Is that place even still open?) so Spec's might be a little gun-shy about the "prohibited distance" crap that sunk their other location.

That doesn't make any sense to me. Us parents need liquor more than anyone, they should sell it on site at child care places! If it's on the west side of Yale I bet that covers the 1000 ft rule (or is it 2000...).

exactly…with all of the noise generated by the locals I hardly doubt that any “chef-driven restaurants, local boutiques and non-chain outlets” are going to risk being in that plaza. Just being in a plaza with a Wal-Mart in general would be a kiss of death for “chef-driven restaurants, local boutiques and non-chain outlets”. If the proposed Wal-Mart gets built - I will not patronize ANY shops in that development. Sorry A-Binder, but people know who you got into bed with and you’ll have to deal with your walk of shame….it will be a long walk in that little black dress and heels.

exactly…with all of the noise generated by the locals I hardly doubt that any “chef-driven restaurants, local boutiques and non-chain outlets” are going to risk being in that plaza. Just being in a plaza with a Wal-Mart in general would be a kiss of death for “chef-driven restaurants, local boutiques and non-chain outlets”. If the proposed Wal-Mart gets built - I will not patronize ANY shops in that development. Sorry A-Binder, but people know who you got into bed with and you’ll have to deal with your walk of shame….it will be a long walk in that little black dress and heels.

Remember that much of the non-WMT space is on the other side of Yale, and will be accessible from Heights Blvd. I'd also bet that it will be visually distinct from the Walmart, much of which won't be visible from the street anyway (because of the Yale underpass). With the exception of a small and unusually well informed minority, the properties between Yale and Heights will almost certainly not be affected by any Walmart cooties.

Oh, and mark me down as a "Yes, please" on that Spec's. I think the bayou marks the southern border of the dry area.

Oh, and mark me down as a "Yes, please" on that Spec's. I think the bayou marks the southern border of the dry area.

Another "yes please" from another parent. Honestly, after what happened on Washington, I would not be surprised if Spec's is seriously looking at this development. They want a store in the area and this just might be the best possible location!

Remember that much of the non-WMT space is on the other side of Yale, and will be accessible from Heights Blvd. I'd also bet that it will be visually distinct from the Walmart, much of which won't be visible from the street anyway (because of the Yale underpass). With the exception of a small and unusually well informed minority, the properties between Yale and Heights will almost certainly not be affected by any Walmart cooties.

...don't think so - it will be the kiss of death for any local business to be there if the proposed Wal-Mart is built there. Wal-Mart cooties are hard to wash off and anyone that shops there probably feels like taking a shower afterward. I love Spec's -but if the proposed Wal-Mart is built and Spec's opens a store there - I will not patronize any of their stores.

Edited by CleaningLadyinCleveland

...don't think so - it will be the kiss of death for any local business to be there if the proposed Wal-Mart is built there. Wal-Mart cooties are hard to wash off and anyone that shops there probably feels like taking a shower afterward. I love Spec's -but if the proposed Wal-Mart is built and Spec's opens a store there - I will not patronize any of their stores.

I can't figure out if there is sarcasm in your post. If there is not, I hope you go back to Cleveland so you don't get cooties from driving past on Yale as I come out from shopping at my new Walmart.

• Like 1

Yes that makes total sense. Because a store/restaurant is close to a Wal-Mart, people will avoid it (and out of principle of all things, not because of traffic or crowds). You may now descend from hyperbole.

Edited by 20thStDad
  • Like 2

Yes that makes total sense. Because a store/restaurant is close to a Wal-Mart, people will avoid it (and out of principle of all things, not because of traffic or crowds). You may now descend from hyperbole.

I think the point is that the developers are nuts if they think they are going to get "local boutiques and chef driven restaurants" in a strip mall anchored by Walmart. Just imagine the phone call:

Developer: Hi, Monica Pope? How are you? I heard you might be interested in opening another restaurant in the Heights area?

MP: Sure, what is the development like? Who is the anchor?

Developer: Oh the development will be very nice. Landscaping, green buildings, etc.

MP: So there isn't an anchor?

Developer: No, there is. It's Walmart. But it is a new urban concept with lots of browns!

MP: (click)

This whole "boutique/chef driven restaurant" talk is nothing more than PR to try to fool people into thinking that this development will be a benefit for the Heights. This development will fill up with the usual junk that follows Walmart around.

• Like 3

Well, yes, marketing is marketing and it's not likely that a high name chef will locate in a strip center.

Having said that, I've had great food in non-chain restaurants located in strip centers. Try visiting Chinatown sometime. Plus sometimes people do want KFC, Arby's, etc.

I think the point is that the developers are nuts if they think they are going to get "local boutiques and chef driven restaurants" in a strip mall anchored by Walmart. Just imagine the phone call:

Developer: Hi, Monica Pope? How are you? I heard you might be interested in opening another restaurant in the Heights area?

Developer: Oh the development will be very nice. Landscaping, green buildings, etc.

Developer: No, there is. It's Walmart. But it is a new urban concept with lots of browns!

This whole "boutique/chef driven restaurant" talk is nothing more than PR to try to fool people into thinking that this development will be a benefit for the Heights. This development will fill up with the usual junk that follows Walmart around.

Yes that was my original point about 10 posts ago. I agree with that, they have no control over who will fill the spots. I'm just amused that it somehow went from that to "I'm not going to shop at a place I love to shop at because it's next to Wal-Mart." That illogical on the level of what some crazy sports fans do sometimes.

Yes that was my original point about 10 posts ago. I agree with that, they have no control over who will fill the spots. I'm just amused that it somehow went from that to "I'm not going to shop at a place I love to shop at because it's next to Wal-Mart." That illogical on the level of what some crazy sports fans do sometimes.

It's not illogical to boycott stores and developments. Boycotts have been organized & worked throughout history....Grapes, sugar,salt, buses, etc. This is my individual choice - not crazed fan mentality.

I have to laugh. Took a bike ride around the Heights area yesterday and anecdotally at least 80% of the Anti-Walmart blue signs I saw were in yards of recent construction McVics and townhouses. So the pariahs of the Historic District's pros are now protesting the pariahs of the retail business. Who says this isn't about classism?

Yep, the acting president of Responsible Urban Development for Houston lives in a McTownhome..

I can't figure out if there is sarcasm in your post. If there is not, I hope you go back to Cleveland so you don't get cooties from driving past on Yale as I come out from shopping at my new Walmart.

if it is built and you plan of shopping at the proposed Walmart : for your enjoyment , a preview for you - here is a beautiful video of a proposed shopping center in Weaverville, NC with Wal-Mart as an anchor in 2007:

In 2008 here is another video in Weaverville, NC with Wal-Mart pollution running into a stream:

Coming to a neighborhood near you...

• Like 1

Yep, the acting president of Responsible Urban Development for Houston lives in a McTownhome..

And I rode a bike around the heights and the majority of the houses (such as mine) were bungalows that had StopHeightsWalmart signs. We come from all walks of life with a common interest.

• Like 2

Yes and the widening of Koehler will push the street right up to his fence. Wouldn't you be against that if it was your townhome? Or are people who support the Walmart too good to live in townhomes?

To the previous quote, I rode my bike down Heights, across 12th and back across 8th and all the Walmart signs I saw were older homes except one new construction. I don't think you can pigeonhole the opposition based on residence, as all kinds of people are against it. Just as all kinds of people are for it. The constant stereotyping, whether it's of Walmart shoppers or Walmart protesters, really adds less than nothing to the conversation.

• Like 1

And I rode a bike around the heights and the majority of the houses (such as mine) were bungalows that had StopHeightsWalmart signs. We come from all walks of life with a common interest.

I completely agree - hell, I live on the SE side in a "depressed" neighborhood compared to much of the greater Heights and I'm right there with the opposition..

From the Mayor's office:

Public Meeting Regarding Koehler Street Development

Mayor Annise Parker

Cordially invites you to attend

A public meeting regarding the Koehler Street Development

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.

George R. Brown Convention Center

1001 Avenida de las Americas

Room 370

Houston, TX 77010

You are cordially invited to attend a public meeting regarding the Koehler Street Development, also referred to as the possible Walmart project. I have heard multiple times from the public regarding the concerns about this project. I pledged early on that I would make sure all development standards are met. This public meeting is part of that pledge. Therefore, I have asked representatives of Walmart, The Ainbinder Company and my staff to come to this meeting prepared to answer the many questions that have been posed about the plans for addressing traffic, drainage, crime, noise and lighting issues.

I also want attendees to receive a full explanation of what a 380 Agreement is and how it provides the city with leverage to achieve the best outcome possible regarding the infrastructure needed to alleviate some of the concerns expressed by nearby residents.

For a map and directions to the George R. Brown: http://www.houstonconventionctr.com/Home/MapsParking.aspx.

Some street parking may be available or attendees can park in the Hilton/George R. Brown parking garage located on Polk Street, subject to availability. Attendees can submit their parking stub for validation t(from that garage only).

For additional information, contact Cecilia Ortiz, Mayor's Citizens Assistance Office, at cecilia.ortiz@houstontx.gov <mailto:cecilia.ortiz@houstontx.gov> or call 832.393.0955.

I look forward to seeing you on Wednesday, August 25 at the George R. Brown Convention Center, Room 370.

Sincerely,

Annise Parker

• Like 1

From the Mayor's office:

Public Meeting Regarding Koehler Street Development

Mayor Annise Parker

Cordially invites you to attend

A public meeting regarding the Koehler Street Development

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.

George R. Brown Convention Center

1001 Avenida de las Americas

Room 370

Houston, TX 77010

You are cordially invited to attend a public meeting regarding the Koehler Street Development, also referred to as the possible Walmart project. I have heard multiple times from the public regarding the concerns about this project. I pledged early on that I would make sure all development standards are met. This public meeting is part of that pledge. Therefore, I have asked representatives of Walmart, The Ainbinder Company and my staff to come to this meeting prepared to answer the many questions that have been posed about the plans for addressing traffic, drainage, crime, noise and lighting issues.

I also want attendees to receive a full explanation of what a 380 Agreement is and how it provides the city with leverage to achieve the best outcome possible regarding the infrastructure needed to alleviate some of the concerns expressed by nearby residents.

For a map and directions to the George R. Brown: http://www.houstonconventionctr.com/Home/MapsParking.aspx.

Some street parking may be available or attendees can park in the Hilton/George R. Brown parking garage located on Polk Street, subject to availability. Attendees can submit their parking stub for validation t(from that garage only).

For additional information, contact Cecilia Ortiz, Mayor's Citizens Assistance Office, at cecilia.ortiz@houstontx.gov <mailto:cecilia.ortiz@houstontx.gov> or call 832.393.0955.

I look forward to seeing you on Wednesday, August 25 at the George R. Brown Convention Center, Room 370.

Sincerely,

Annise Parker

It's not illogical to boycott stores and developments. Boycotts have been organized & worked throughout history....Grapes, sugar,salt. This is my individual choice - not crazed fan mentality.

Boycotting a store you like to try to hurt one you don't does not make any sense and will in no way help to achieve the result that you are looking for. I know what an effective boycott is, and in this case only your boycott of Wal-Mart itself makes sense. Otherwise by extension you may as well just boycott the entire city, that'll show 'em.

• Like 1

Boycotting a store you like to try to hurt one you don't does not make any sense and will in no way help to achieve the result that you are looking for. I know what an effective boycott is, and in this case only your boycott of Wal-Mart itself makes sense. Otherwise by extension you may as well just boycott the entire city, that'll show 'em.

I think she would be boycotting the developer.