Walmart Supercenter At 111 Yale St.

HeyHatch

Walmart at Yale & I-10: For or Against  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Q1: Regarding the proposed WalMart at Yale and I-10:

• I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Q2: If/when this proposed WalMart is built at Yale & I-10

• I am FOR this WalMart and will shop at this WalMart
    • I am FOR this WalMart but will not shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart but will shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart and will not shop at this WalMart
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Q3: WalMart in general

• I am Pro-Walmart
    • I am Anti-Walmart
    • I don't care either way
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

2.26 miles away and hate this idea. I think the three mile inclusion is an interesting indicator, we all share these roads for schools, libraries, groceries, etc.

No way, and any incentives they or Ainbinder receive or reimbursements provided later are adding insult to injury. This is desirable property, if they want it that bad they can pay every last dime themselves.

• Like 3

I think this is really simple, don't build it.

Other people don't think it is as simple. Thank god we're in a forum where you don't rule and dissenting opinions outside the cool and popular are allowed to be made.

Edit: Also, in regards to this statement of yours, "NO TAX INCENTIVES/ABATEMENTS/380 AGREEMENTS," my understanding of the tax abatements the developer and Walmart are being given is to help offset the cost of infrastructure upgrades, not the construction of the building itself. You do know these are things the city would have to pay for had Walmart not decided to build their massive box, right?

Now, out of curiousity, I'd like to see a tax contribution vs. tax spending map of the city of Houston. Do Heights residents actually put in as much cash into their area as is spent?

Edited by AtticaFlinch

Other people don't think it is as simple. Thank god we're in a forum where you don't rule and dissenting opinions outside the cool and popular are allowed to be made.

Edit: Also, in regards to this statement of yours, "NO TAX INCENTIVES/ABATEMENTS/380 AGREEMENTS," my understanding of the tax abatements the developer and Walmart are being given is to help offset the cost of infrastructure upgrades, not the construction of the building itself. You do know these are things the city would have to pay for had Walmart not decided to build their massive box, right?

Now, out of curiousity, I'd like to see a tax contribution vs. tax spending map of the city of Houston. Do Heights residents actually put in as much cash into their area as is spent?

First of all, I do not claim to be cool or popular. Don't be so nasty, name calling puts your credibility in question, not mine.

I am perfectly aware of what is being offset here. You guys have feeders and streets out where you live off of 1960 or feels like Dallas (your words, not mine) or wherever you are, and so having street work here isn't that out of the ordinary. I pay a lot of tax dollars on my property and we generally have crummy roads and the school I am sending my kid to is sketchy. There are better ways to spend tax dollars than a feeder we never asked for and have lived without happily. That isn't something the city ever had to build. The most roadwork the city pays for in this area seems to be the freeways that get the suburbanites in and out of the city so they can take their paychecks outside of the beltway and enjoy paying low taxes and having better schools. Yeah, we sure are winning the financial war here living in the city. Sarcasm.

I don't see why you have to be so nasty when you don't have a personal interest in this, unless your personal interest is the benefit of Wal-Marts everywhere.

Doubtless, the link to this poll has been crossposted on the anti-Walmart-in-the-Heights Facebook fan club page. All this righteous indignation coming to HAIF to express itself will be good for editor. Hopefully anybody who has something burning within themselves that needs to be said on the subject will read the 600+ posts already written on the topic first before posting.

You are correct, someone has crossposted this site with the stop walmart FB site. They think this site "needs facts" and one person asked if someone can post their "fact sheets on their site" (HAIF).

Also, in reading some of the posts, they don't appreciate anyone showing any opposition to their opposition but then, it is their FB page and they are the antis so I guess they can pick and choose their playmates.

The possibility that anyone posting over there would take the time to read 13 pages of ANYTHING is, in my opinion, remote.

Edited by little frau

God. Do I have to hold your hand? Is it really necessary to use an emoticon to ensure people understand sarcasm? How about this then: [/sarcasm]? That's still considered clever, right?

Yeah, I have to admit it's sometimes difficult to tell when you're being sarcastic, being argumentative, being an ass, or all of the above. /SARCASM.

Of course it's been shelved! Now the city doesn't have to pay a dime for the upgrades since Walmart and Ainbinder are on the hook for it. Now we can use the money for better infrastructure upgrades like light rail or HOV lanes on 288. I don't know how the city will divert the funds, but surely now we can spend it on something a little more worthwhile than a street that's essentially nothing more than a shortcut for Heights residents looking to avoid the train.

Well Walmart/Airbinder are on the hook (assuming their tax deals go through) for the stretch up through I-10, but not north of it. So Heights residents get the shaft on a road that really needs a new surface.

First of all, I do not claim to be cool or popular. Don't be so nasty, name calling puts your credibility in question, not mine.

I am perfectly aware of what is being offset here. You guys have feeders and streets out where you live off of 1960 or feels like Dallas (your words, not mine) or wherever you are, and so having street work here isn't that out of the ordinary. I pay a lot of tax dollars on my property and we generally have crummy roads and the school I am sending my kid to is sketchy. There are better ways to spend tax dollars than a feeder we never asked for and have lived without happily. That isn't something the city ever had to build. The most roadwork the city pays for in this area seems to be the freeways that get the suburbanites in and out of the city so they can take their paychecks outside of the beltway and enjoy paying low taxes and having better schools. Yeah, we sure are winning the financial war here living in the city. Sarcasm.

I don't see why you have to be so nasty when you don't have a personal interest in this, unless your personal interest is the benefit of Wal-Marts everywhere.

How about me, then? I live in the Heights, and I don't have a problem with this store. I also take issue with your traffic claims, infrastructure claims, and who pays for what. To begin with, the City is not paying for the feeder roads. That is federal stimulus money given to TxDOT. Take it up with TxDOT. Secondly, the 380 agreement would allow the upgrade of Yale, Heights and other streets now that the City doesn't currently have the money to pay for. It is not a tax incentive to build Walmart. It is a reduction in Walmart (or Ainsworth)'s taxes as payback for their rebuilding of our city streets. Think of it as an interest free loan to us taxpayers. Thirdly, what's up with the claim that none of our streets get repaved? Studewood was completely repaved in concrete 3-4 years ago. The big Main Street intersection was also redone. North Main was just completely repaved, including new storm water pipes. More improved storm water pipes were installed in Woodland Heights. The Heights got new water mains a few years back. Beauchamp has been repaved. Harvard between 6th and 11th was redone, as was Courtlandt. 11th Street from Studewood to Heights is about to start. In the future, Arlington, Columbia and Oxford will be repaved, including curb and gutters. We just got a brand new bike trail all the way past that other big box store on Taylor.

Crummy schools? The biggest HISD remodel in the entire district, $40 million, was just completed up the street from me at Reagan High School. Virtually every other school in the area has gotten, or will be, remodeled, as well.

As for rhetorical questions of why Walmart, why here, the answer is because they can. The mayor has already stated that they cannot stop a business from locating in the city just because a small but vocal minority opposes their corporate culture. The Walmart is coming, whether you shop there or not. It really is that simple.

Note to moderators: Hopefully, this post is not considered offensive, even though it contradicts what another poster wrote. There was simply no other way to print the truth without contradicting that poster. No malice was intended. Please don't delete the important parts.

signed, RedScare

• Like 7

Yeah, I have to admit it's sometimes difficult to tell when you're being sarcastic, being argumentative, being an ass, or all of the above. /SARCASM.

Well Walmart/Airbinder are on the hook (assuming their tax deals go through) for the stretch up through I-10, but not north of it. So Heights residents get the shaft on a road that really needs a new surface.

If Yale north of I-10 is shelved, it is because Heights residents complained too loudly. Don't blame the City. It was our vocal minority that shut it down.

The lot most mentioned is being split into multiple plats - A, B and C with A being the Wal-Mart development.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5E7ocgwEpk8/TFMRfW4YCBI/AAAAAAAAAkI/nY3t8WBST1c/s1600/Replat+-+Koehler+Street+-+1.jpg

Across Yale, there will be three other unrestricted reserves:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_5E7ocgwEpk8/TFMT4TWPR8I/AAAAAAAAAkY/GIEywxjelYY/s1600/Koehler+Street+Variance+Overhead.jpg

I can't find the info now, but would love if someone else could fill in the blank...I remember renderings with a second developer who would have space either across Koehler or across Yale.

Bass is planned to be widened to allow traffic from I-10 coming from the West to hit WM/Koehler, but I am assuming traffic from north, south and east would be using Yale or Heights in one way or another because frankly there is not much of a way. Bonner, the street forming the back of the development, is closed because of the train horns and would have been another cut through. Shortcuts from the south may include Patterson and residential side streets like Eigel. Koehler is trying to be widened, as an earlier post confirms, and that has been postponed.

Not reading the first 600 posts before retreading territory that had already been thoroughly explored, mapped and settled is what calls your credibility into question. Frankly, I'm tired of repeating myself to you anti-corporate zealots who feel Walmart is of Satan, so now I'm having a little fun with it. If you want to read my and other people's serious responses, you need look no further than the first ten or so pages of this thread.

Golly. Your neighborhood sounds really crummy, Missus Wilson. Perhaps you should move.

Can you point me to where I attacked you? I just reread my post, and I don't see it. Perhaps I struck a nerve. I think she doth protest too much.

None of the above. I'm just trying to challenge you to articulate the real reasons you feel like you do. What is it about this Walmart and this location? If Crosstimbers and Silber are both dandy locations to build, then it's not about the politics of the company. If it's not due to inherent racism or classism considering the stereotype of a Walmart customer, then what is it? If it's not about the pretensions of (some) Heights residents and the fact Walmart is generally considered uncool, then what is it? If it's not about the Mom and Pops as so many of you have professed to never leave them for the evil empire, then what's driving your indignation? If it's not about the rape of small town life considering Houston's not a small town, then what motivates your rage? If it's not about the traffic as any development would affect that currently lightly trafficked street, then it still must be something. If it's not about crime increases or property devaluations as both of those claims have been rendered dubious at best, then I must still know what's driving this weird ideological quest behind the opposition. I must know! What's the real story about this Walmart in this location that's set so many of you sensitive Heightians off? If it's none of those things, then there's nothing left to oppose. And if there's nothing left to oppose, then surely you must see some of the positive benefits Walmart can bring to poor people, and how those positive benefits outweigh the nothing supporting the opposition.

So, if Walmart doesn't pay for the upgrades to the entire road, they're shafting you?

How about me, then? I live in the Heights, and I don't have a problem with this store. I also take issue with your traffic claims, infrastructure claims, and who pays for what. To begin with, the City is not paying for the feeder roads. That is federal stimulus money given to TxDOT. Take it up with TxDOT. Secondly, the 380 agreement would allow the upgrade of Yale, Heights and other streets now that the City doesn't currently have the money to pay for. It is not a tax incentive to build Walmart. It is a reduction in Walmart (or Ainsworth)'s taxes as payback for their rebuilding of our city streets. Think of it as an interest free loan to us taxpayers. Thirdly, what's up with the claim that none of our streets get repaved? Studewood was completely repaved in concrete 3-4 years ago. The big Main Street intersection was also redone. North Main was just completely repaved, including new storm water pipes. More improved storm water pipes were installed in Woodland Heights. The Heights got new water mains a few years back. Beauchamp has been repaved. Harvard between 6th and 11th was redone, as was Courtlandt. 11th Street from Studewood to Heights is about to start. In the future, Arlington, Columbia and Oxford will be repaved, including curb and gutters. We just got a brand new bike trail all the way past that other big box store on Taylor.

Crummy schools? The biggest HISD remodel in the entire district, $40 million, was just completed up the street from me at Reagan High School. Virtually every other school in the area has gotten, or will be, remodeled, as well.

As for rhetorical questions of why Walmart, why here, the answer is because they can. The mayor has already stated that they cannot stop a business from locating in the city just because a small but vocal minority opposes their corporate culture. The Walmart is coming, whether you shop there or not. It really is that simple.

Note to moderators: Hopefully, this post is not considered offensive, even though it contradicts what another poster wrote. There was simply no other way to print the truth without contradicting that poster. No malice was intended. Please don't delete the important parts.

signed, RedScare

Ainbinder, not Ainsworth, FYI. And this isn't just Heights, this is concerning several neighborhoods along the Washington Corridor that use these streets and share resources. You are entitled to want WM, I am entitled to not want it.

Yale's repaving was getting done before WM was announced. That's great all the streets above I-10 got so much attention, but between I-10 and Memorial there leaves much to be desired. You do more to prove AF's point than mine. As for the schools, you have got to be kidding me. I've taught in HISD and just spent the last year researching the elementary level to find one for my kid. Unless you live in the right exact spot or can pass the Vanguard, you're kind of screwed.

My question is why would they want to build it? I am very well aware that they certainly can build it (but your loan comment is like borrowing from the mafia), I just don't understand their "built it and they will come" system.

Ainbinder, not Ainsworth, FYI. And this isn't just Heights, this is concerning several neighborhoods along the Washington Corridor that use these streets and share resources. You are entitled to want WM, I am entitled to not want it.

Yale's repaving was getting done before WM was announced. That's great all the streets above I-10 got so much attention, but between I-10 and Memorial there leaves much to be desired. You do more to prove AF's point than mine. As for the schools, you have got to be kidding me. I've taught in HISD and just spent the last year researching the elementary level to find one for my kid. Unless you live in the right exact spot or can pass the Vanguard, you're kind of screwed.

My question is why would they want to build it? I am very well aware that they certainly can build it (but your loan comment is like borrowing from the mafia), I just don't understand their "built it and they will come" system.

Thanks for noticing.

As for why Walmart wants to build there and your failure to understand, well, the proof is in the pudding. Walmart is the world's biggest retailer. They clearly know what they are doing.

Oh, by the way, you may want to go back to teaching at HISD. After Walmart builds their 3 inner city stores...2 within HISD...and all likely valued in excess of $20 million...they'll be paying HISD taxes of up to $500,000 or more annually...with no homestead exemption.

None of the above. I'm just trying to challenge you to articulate the real reasons you feel like you do.

I believe I've made my point clear in several places over the past 615 posts. Please reread them and let me know if I still confuse you.

RE-POSTED:

I'd like to report four (4!) duplicate threads about a Wal-Mart. We have the one about an invasion of the Heights (it's not in the Heights), we have another for the same information presented differently and without the ability for anyone to make remarks on the subject, we have another where I had to re-post criticism of the duplicate threads because the moderators did not merge the duplicate threads and repeatedly deleted my criticism of the duplicate threads, and we have this thread as a poll.

This is what happens when you set the precedent that duplicate threads are OK is that special interests take advantage. Don't allow yourselves to be co-opted as tools. Merge duplicate threads.

EDIT: This post is my poll. Rep me +1 if you agree.

Edited by TheNiche
  • Like 3

Not reading the first 600 posts before retreading territory that had already been thoroughly explored, mapped and settled is what calls your credibility into question. Frankly, I'm tired of repeating myself to you anti-corporate zealots who feel Walmart is of Satan, so now I'm having a little fun with it. If you want to read my and other people's serious responses, you need look no further than the first ten or so pages of this thread.

I've seen that line a couple times before in this thread...just because I didn't agree with you doesn't mean I didn't hear you. You can say it 1000 more times and it still won't be "settled" for me, just like nothing I can say will settle anything for you. If you're tired of repeating yourself, stop repeating yourself. Problem solved.

I get that this has landed in the Heights bin, but it is a larger issue and the people I personally know who are affected by this aren't who you think they are. As others have said, it is okay to fight for your community. It's okay for those who want this to fight for WM too, both have their rights. And if WM can build the fair way without tax handouts, that will be their right, but I think it is fair game to not want tax incentives or rebates. I know it is fun for some of you to poke fun at, but some of us want more for our neighborhood than this particular development. The talk of being afraid of "brown people" is flat out stupid too. I grew up in the Northwest Houston burbs with just a handful of Hispanics, African Americans, etc, and the entire reason I live down here is for the meshing of colors and cultures for me and my family. I don't want my kid to grow up like that, but hanging out at the WM parking lot isn't going to do it either. We don't need a crappy store to interact, they are our friends, neighbors, classmates and coworkers. Come on, now.

Edited by cumby

I believe I've made my point clear in several places over the past 615 posts. Please reread them and let me know if I still confuse you.

What's confused me is how every point you've made has been refuted using logic, reason and evidence. Your points are nothing more than emotional ramblings, and I'm confused why you continue to make them despite the overwhelming evidence to contradict it.

I've given up on this thread and decided to read War and Peace instead.

It's shorter and the writing is better.

Good call. I need to get back to reading Les Miserables to my infant. I've wasted to much time on this anyhow.

I've seen that line a couple times before in this thread...just because I didn't agree with you doesn't mean I didn't hear you. You can say it 1000 more times and it still won't be "settled" for me, just like nothing I can say will settle anything for you. If you're tired of repeating yourself, stop repeating yourself. Problem solved.

So, what you're saying is, despite the evidence that proves every point you make wrong, you'll still hold onto those beliefs tenaciously and won't ever give them up? Interesting.

What's confused me is how every point you've made has been refuted using logic, reason and evidence. Your points are nothing more than emotional ramblings, and I'm confused why you continue to make them despite the overwhelming evidence to contradict it.

That is so beyond ridiculous I'm not even going to respond beyond telling you how ridiculous it is. Congratulations, you are officially impossible to have a rational conversation with. Enjoy your new Walmart. Oh, wait - you don't even live in the area! My mistake.

Would anybody else like to discuss WalMart without having their posts hypocritically ripped apart word for word?

I don't have any interest in going back and finding the post about this, but I do want to comment on something someone mentioned about the Facebook page. So, a couple of people have joined the group to act out and post pro-Walmart comments. Someone here suggested that these few people (four, at the most by my reading) dilute the group's numbers and the comment was something like "So much for their 4000+ members."

This is symbolic of how ridiculous this whole thread has become. Really? Even if 10% of the Facebook group were "moles or trolls", that would be 490 out of 4900 and change. I mean, I wouldn't even look at those numbers if someone hadn't tried to argue that point. At this time, I check this post about every 3rd day and while there will be a good 10 posts between the last time I read it, it's the same comments over and over again. Yawn.

The only certain "FACT" here is that it's all opinion at this point. What proWalmart people say will happen, what antiWalmart people say will happen. Unless someone here has a magic crystal ball, no one can be certain of what WILL happen. The anti Walmart people, myself among them, are trying to prevent what they fear might happen but no one knows for sure. And none of the "Go Walmart" people can be sure this will be the boon they are saying. It's just your opinion and it doesn't make sense to state what will happen in the future as fact. Only one thing in the future is certain: someday we will all be dead. Until then, your projections, objections and reactions are all just your opinion.

That is so beyond ridiculous I'm not even going to respond beyond telling you how ridiculous it is. Congratulations, you are officially impossible to have a rational conversation with. Enjoy your new Walmart. Oh, wait - you don't even live in the area! My mistake.

I'm sorry. After you called me an ass, I figured rational conversation had already ended with you. But, why don't you try responding to me? Is it because you can't? Is it because you realize there is no good rational reason to actually oppose the Walmart? I figure as such, especially as you've now resorted to argumentum ad hominem style illogical arguments.

And, as I've said, I used to live in the area in this Walmart's sphere of influence. I have a personal interest in Montrose and the West End. I wish the Walmart had been there when I lived there. I was a lot less well-off when I lived in Montrose than I am now.

Would anybody else like to discuss WalMart without having their posts hypocritically ripped apart word for word?

Translation: Does anyone want to validate my opinions for me?

Also, point out my hypocrisies if you're going to call me a hypocrite, please. Otherwise, if you can't back up your name-calling, stop calling names.

• Like 1

An article released yesterday.

DISCLAIMER: I DID, indeed, get this from the Stop Walmart group BUT it also has some interesting facts for those of you who shop at Walmart to save money. It might be time to head back to Fiesta for your oatmeal and Windex.

An excerpt of the 1st few paragraphs below. If you would like to read it in its entirety: http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/walmart-raises-prices/19587730/

Wal-Mart Stores (WMT), which for years has touted its prowess at lowering prices, has been doing the opposite as it tries to bolster its bottom line amid stagnating sales.

A JPMorgan Chase (JPM) study of a Walmart Supercenter in Virginia found that the world's largest retailer has raised prices by nearly 6% on average over the past six weeks, according to the New York Post. Reuters says it was the biggest sequential increase since JPMorgan started the study in January 2009.

Some Prices Hiked Over 60%

Some of the price hikes were considerably larger. For instance, the price of a 32-ounce bottle of Windex household cleaner jumped 50%, a 12-ounce box of Quaker Oats instant grits climbed 65% and a 50-ounce container of Tide detergent rose by more than 50%. A spokesperson for the Bentonville, Ark., company could not immediately be reached for comment.

The results of the price-hike study aren't entirely surprising. Shares of Wal-Mart, which rose at the height of the recent recession, are down more than 2% this year amid lackluster performance at its U.S. stores, where same-store sales fell 1.1% during the 13 weeks ended April 30. When Wal-Mart announced a revamping of the management team overseeing these stores, including the departures of CEO and President of Wal-Mart U.S. Eduardo Castro-Wright and Chief Merchandising Officer John Fleming, current Wal-Mart U.S. CEO Bill Simon bluntly said, "our mandate is clear: increase customer traffic, make sure our products are relevant to our customer and never give an inch on price leadership."

Unfortunately for Wal-Mart, keeping prices low is tough with less store traffic. To make matters worse, rivals appear to be doing better. Target (TGT) reported a 2% gain in July same-store sales, which are a key metric for retail investors. Kohl's (KSS) reported a 4.1% gain. Wal-Mart stopped releasing monthly same-store sales figures for its units last year, so making an apples-to-apples comparison is difficult.

See full article from DailyFinance: http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/walmart-raises-prices/19587730/?icid=sphere_copyright

I wish the Walmart had been there when I lived there.

I can now see where you are coming from, you have conceded that you are spending between $10 and $20k at WalMart. You love Wal Mart ! I would think anyone in your same situation would be right with you. But there are many people in the neighborhood who would simply like to see the neighborhood develop in a different way.

I don't think their preference in asthetics is any less irrational than yours is for sam's choice.

I'm sorry. After you called me an ass, I figured rational conversation had already ended with you. But, why don't you try responding to me? Is it because you can't? Is it because you realize there is no good rational reason to actually oppose the Walmart? I figure as such, especially as you've now resorted to argumentum ad hominem style illogical arguments.

Draw your own conclusions, connect the dots however you wish. I don't care anymore. Arguing with you has become fruitless and tiresome. You're right, I resorted to name calling. For that I apologize. I hope we can both be more civil from this point on. This will be the last time I quote your posts, and I invite you to do the same.

Now back to the topic at hand.

I do wonder how the traintracks at the Southern end of the property will be dealt with. Especially given a possible increase of traffic (due to Koehler) and the lack of an under/overpass on Heights.

I can now see where you are coming from, you have conceded that you are spending between $10 and $20k at WalMart. You love Wal Mart ! I would think anyone in your same situation would be right with you. But there are many people in the neighborhood who would simply like to see the neighborhood develop in a different way.

I've conceded no such thing. I do now, and have for the past several months, do my grocery shopping at Walmart as I've found it's less expensive than Kroger, Fiesta and HEB on the items for which I shop. This wasn't a luxury I had prior to about four months ago as I lived inside the loop then and didn't have a Walmart nearby. I think I've made it clear the prices are why I shop at Walmart, and that in general, I dislike the company's other policies. My feelings towards Walmart could hardly be called love. Make no mistake, I'm not defending Walmart. I'm defending people's right to shop at Walmart, and I'm defending Walmart's right to build where they please.

I don't think their preference in asthetics is any less irrational than yours is for sam's choice.

So now the opposition is based on aesthetics? Now we're getting somewhere. Now we're getting to the root of the issue. If aesthetics is the problem, don't you think it's a pretty flimsy reason to oppose the Walmart? Don't you think it would be wiser to work with the design firm to ensure it's built in a way that allows it to fit into the neighborhood rather than simply oppose the inevitable structure?

Draw your own conclusions, connect the dots however you wish. I don't care anymore.

This is like debating Glenn Beck. All your rhetoric is based on emotion. When logic is presented to counter your rhetoric, you get weepy, insulting and dismissive. I'll take your unwillingness to debate this with me any further as a sign that you admit you have no good solid reasons to oppose this Walmart.

Arguing with you has become fruitless and tiresome.

This happens when you match logic against emotions in a head-to-head rumble.

You're right, I resorted to name calling. For that I apologize. I hope we can both be more civil from this point on.

Where was I uncivil to you? I think you're confusing your behavior for mine.

This will be the last time I quote your posts, and I invite you to do the same.

I don't agree to this. If you post something else insubstantive, I'll point out your argument's flaws. I encourage you to do the same for me, and everybody for that matter. It does nobody any good to hold onto ideas and preconceptions that have no basis in reality.

Edited by AtticaFlinch
  • Like 1

Is it possible that this Walmart could be stocked from rail freight, rather than by truck?

I think that might be difficult. A train coming from the East would block Heights, and a train coming from the West would block Shepherd, Patterson, etc unless it were only a few cars long.

I imagine the goods could come into town via train, but would have to be moved over to trucks for the final stretch.