Walmart Supercenter At 111 Yale St.

HeyHatch

Walmart at Yale & I-10: For or Against  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Q1: Regarding the proposed WalMart at Yale and I-10:

• I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Q2: If/when this proposed WalMart is built at Yale & I-10

• I am FOR this WalMart and will shop at this WalMart
    • I am FOR this WalMart but will not shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart but will shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart and will not shop at this WalMart
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Q3: WalMart in general

• I am Pro-Walmart
    • I am Anti-Walmart
    • I don't care either way
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

And Niche, to keep your own "logic", I hope that you are expending as much effort on every other anti walmart effort that currently exists, has ever existed or will exist as you do on this one.

Up until today, I hadn't posted on this thread in many weeks, probably months. And I think that the last time that I had posted, I mostly just wanted to know when the opening date was.

If there is a "worst bridges" ranking, I missed it. That's how involved I am in this subject. Would you mind re-posting it?

i wish you two would get over yourselves, do it, and move on. this place is getting pretty unbearable.

You must be joking. This thread is comedic gold. If not for s3mh's desparate attempts at laying blame for all of the world's ills at the feet of Walmart, this thread would be buried in the history of HAIF. If you don't see the humor, don't read it. I promise to send you a PM when Walmart opens.

I am damn proud of our community activists finally getting something constructive done by somebody else. Those cute chicken littles work awful hard and it must be tough on them psychologically to have nada to show for all their angst except 15 minutes of fame. But one or two more political inspections and I will have my fishing pier. We can spruce it up with caliper inches and have marches across and back....just when we are coming into the nice weather.

TxDOT has posted the official truck route for trucks to avoid the Bridge of Death. All trucks must follow this route through the neighborhood to avoid being cited for crossing said bridge. Looks like RUDE finally got what they were asking for! post-5429-0-89831400-1348961106_thumb.jp

I guess the Kombuchu sippers at s3mh's council are perfectly fine with destroying the "quality of life" along for homeowners in that neighborhood. The peace and quiet in that neighborhood is less important than the chubbies each council member gets when driving their Leaf's (or Leaves?) across the bridge.

All neighborhoods are equal, but some are more equal than others

Edited by TGM

TGM, the City is recommending Heights Boulevard as a truck route. I think that map is a joke by heights. It's doubtful that large trucks could make all those turns on those streets.

That being said, I think trucks will also have a hard time going south from I10 on Heights and making a right turn onto Koehler without going across both lanes of traffic on Koehler and perhaps up onto the opposite curb. I guess we will see how it works out.

Lastly, it was clearly fwkis letter to the Mayor that caused this latest drop in load limits, and that s3mh had nothing to do with it.

Yeah, and no action photos either.

The chicken little cries of bridge collapse armageddon are way overblown. Everyone knows that plastic crap from China doesn't weigh much. That's why it is so cheap. Those Walmart semis are not exceeding the weight limit because Chinese crap doesn't weigh enough. School buses with elementary school children on the other hand...

bus-off-cliff-259x300.jpg

Lastly, it was clearly fwkis letter to the Mayor that caused this latest drop in load limits, and that s3mh had nothing to do with it.

Now let's see about moving that Wal-Mart just a little to the north, make this hood walkable again.

TGM, the City is recommending Heights Boulevard as a truck route. I think that map is a joke by heights. It's doubtful that large trucks could make all those turns on those streets.

That being said, I think trucks will also have a hard time going south from I10 on Heights and making a right turn onto Koehler without going across both lanes of traffic on Koehler and perhaps up onto the opposite curb. I guess we will see how it works out.

There are no jokes on this thread. Everything posted on this thread is deadly serious. Just ask s3mh.

I successfully traversed the bridge of death again this morning...whew...I waved to the flatbed tow truck that was stopped waiting on the light as I crossed...he had a tahoe loaded on back, and was towing an expolorer. We both thought we were about to die, but alas, it was not my day.

• Like 1

On the next episode of "The Worlds Most Dangerous Roads - The Heights", truckers risk legal trouble, flesh-eating local activists, and a bridge so dangerous that some Bolivian truckers have refused to risk crossing it, all to stock the shelves of a Wal-Mart none dare to be seen shopping at.

Calendar-July_img_0.jpg

I'm confused on how the weight reduction has anything to do with the walmart and trucks... the 18 wheelers weren't supposed to use that bridge anyway...

however your 4,000 lb prius with 2,000 lbs of smugness driving continously over the bridge in search of walmart trucks will definitely put the bridge at risk.

I'm confused on how the weight reduction has anything to do with the walmart and trucks... the 18 wheelers weren't supposed to use that bridge anyway...

however your 4,000 lb prius with 2,000 lbs of smugness driving continously over the bridge in search of walmart trucks will definitely put the bridge at risk.

Don't forget to account for the weight associated with the bridge patrollers being completely full of sh**. I'm sure that is good for another 200lbs or so depending on the individual and their preferred brand of adult diaper.

Edited by TGM

But they have been using the bridge. As have lots of construction vehicles coming and going from the Walmart site. Those who do not live in internet message board fantasy land understand that it takes 50-60 18 wheelers a week to keep a Walmart supercenter stocked and that those drivers cannot be trusted to take an alternate route every time. Walmart needs that bridge to be upgraded more than anyone. Yale St. is the easiest route for their 18 wheeler traffic. I saw an 18 wheeler try to make the turn from Heights south to Koehler to get to the development the other day. It was a joke. They had to swing out wide and use both lanes of Heights and then had to use both lanes of Koehler for about 50-100 yards before being able to get the rig back into the proper lane. Luckily, no one was waiting for the light on Koehler. Otherwise, the big rig would have had to sit and block traffic on Heights and wait for traffic to clear out on Koehler.

I even saw a Walmart truck sitting parked on S. Heights/Waugh south just before it merges with Yale before Memorial this weekend. It looked like the truck took Koehler to Heights to get out of the development and wanted to take Memorial west to continue on its route. Of course, you cannot take Memorial west bound from S.Heights/Waugh because the exit is before the merge. And you cannot take Heights to Washington to Yale St. because there is no left turn from Washington to Yale south. And they cannot take Yale south because the rail bridge is too low for 18 wheelers. So, this truck just sat in the middle of the road, looking around to try to figure out how they were going to get out of there.

It was abundantly clear to anyone who claimed to be a responsible adult that the Yale St. bridge was critical to Walmart being able to get its 18 wheelers in and out of the development back almost three years ago when they first started looking at the location as a big box anchored development. Had adults been in charge, 380 money could have been dedicated to rebuilding the bridge. The bridge could have been completed as fast as the developer wanted and before the development opened to the public. Now, many are wondering whether the bridge is being kept open longer than it should to give Walmart a few years to establish itself before having to endure a long bridge closure and loss of business due to the traffic obstruction.

• Like 1

Had adults been in charge, 380 money could have been dedicated to rebuilding the bridge. The bridge could have been completed as fast as the developer wanted and before the development opened to the public.

Right.....

The bridge could have been stood up in a matter of weeks with not a peep from those hell-bent on spinning the world backwards to a better architectural time. You hate Wal-Mart, and will take every opportunity not to miss an opportunity to stick the knife back in them. I'm sure your already readying your protest to the FAA in the case they have to air-drop Fritos via Chinooks.

Maybe the next move should be teaching all the Heights school children the words to "Yale Street Bridge is falling down"

...Now, many are wondering whether the bridge is being kept open longer than it should to give Walmart a few years to establish itself....

Now that's a hoot, I didn't think you had a sense of humor.

But seriously, refering to your verbal traffic map, you didn't mention Shepherd/Durham exit.....take it south to Washington, and then east to say Bonner where one could add a rail crossing right into Wal-Mart. Do not presume successful corporations do not employ adult thinkers. Get out into the real world and you will meet many smart people who are way ahead of you on this issue, contrary to your condescending posts.

Now that's a hoot, I didn't think you had a sense of humor.

But seriously, refering to your verbal traffic map, you didn't mention Shepherd/Durham exit.....take it south to Washington, and then east to say Bonner where one could add a rail crossing right into Wal-Mart. Do not presume successful corporations do not employ adult thinkers. Get out into the real world and you will meet many smart people who are way ahead of you on this issue, contrary to your condescending posts.

Actually, the entire reason that Walmart is the world's larget retailer and hated by people like s3mh is that they are so successful at outsmarting people like s3mh. In fact, for all of s3mh's and RUDE's efforts, Walmart has not so much as been slowed in their efforts to build and open this store. The ONLY thing that has been accomplished is that s3mh and RUDE have managed to inconvenience 13,000 Heights residents who use that bridge.Walmart will still be open in a few weeks.

Since I am not one of them (I rarely use that bridge), I find the entire exercise hilarious.

It was abundantly clear to anyone who claimed to be a responsible adult that the Yale St. bridge was critical to Walmart being able to get its 18 wheelers in and out of the development back almost three years ago when they first started looking at the location as a big box anchored development. Had adults been in charge, 380 money could have been dedicated to rebuilding the bridge. The bridge could have been completed as fast as the developer wanted and before the development opened to the public. Now, many are wondering whether the bridge is being kept open longer than it should to give Walmart a few years to establish itself before having to endure a long bridge closure and loss of business due to the traffic obstruction.

If it were so abundantly clear to adults, I must wonder why RUDE never mentioned it when they were fighting Walmart. They yelled at town halls, and had a few drawings of supposed cool mixed use, even filed a (failed) lawsuit, but the Yale Street bridge was never mentioned. Only when Walmart, Ainbinder, and the 380 agreement was a fait accompli did anyone ever mention the Bridge of Death.

Is this proof that RUDE is not run by adults?

Only when Walmart, Ainbinder, and the 380 agreement was a fait accompli did anyone ever mention the Bridge of Death.

Is this proof that RUDE is not run by adults?

Adults would have capitalized on concerns over aging infrastructure and made the "bridge of death" their central argument not Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart, fur-coats, 30-story towers, global warming, and the local endangered chipmonk have all reached the point of being dismissed out of hand when mentioned in conversation with the average Joe. Regardless of their leanings, people tend to glaze over, and tune out. I expect a little more from s3mh's command and control legions.

So does anyone know what the official opening date for the walmart is? /relevance

I searched Wal-mart's site and they are still saying 2012 opening. They had 24Sep photo updates, it looks like it is 1-2 months away, so that narrows it down. I just saw these from the leasing agent .... http://ucrrealty.com..._IH-10&Yale.pdf ... nice aerials, maps. Bass St. will be an entrance from I-10 feeder to the dismay of all Bridge of Death fans and it looks like they added a RR crossing over Bonner Street for trucks.

EDIT: Here's a slightly different aerial with a better depiction of Bonner St. http://ucrrealty.com/photos/properties/flyers/201209241438060.Washington%20Heights%20Mktg%20Flyer%20(Heights%20Blvd).pdf

Edited by fwki