Walmart Supercenter At 111 Yale St.

HeyHatch

Walmart at Yale & I-10: For or Against  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Q1: Regarding the proposed WalMart at Yale and I-10:

• I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Q2: If/when this proposed WalMart is built at Yale & I-10

• I am FOR this WalMart and will shop at this WalMart
    • I am FOR this WalMart but will not shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart but will shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart and will not shop at this WalMart
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Q3: WalMart in general

• I am Pro-Walmart
    • I am Anti-Walmart
    • I don't care either way
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

I am not wrong more often than not. I just take a point of view that is contrary to the prevailing pro-developer/anti-preservation view that is prevalent on this message board. Thus, plenty of people say things that are completely wrong (HAHC being able to control political content of yard signs--actual post in Historic Ordinance thread) and get a pass. But, I make a reasonable argument/observation (Bungalows in good condition at a certain price point sell quickly in the Heights) based on my personal experience of being in the market for over two years (and friends being in the market for another year beyond that), and I get a pile of responses because I do not share the anti-preservation view. Just because my arguments and observations start a debate doesn't mean that they are invalid. I do not have to post links to every sale of a bungalow in the Heights just because someone knows of an overpriced bungalow with a horrible rennovation that won't move. And I do not have to see a link to the bungalow that won't move and won't call that person a liar for not posting one because it is just an argument on a message board. Many who are pro-preservation and/or anti-Walmart have been bullied off this message board by people who pick apart their posts and call them all kinds of names. Debate is what makes message boards interesting. I am all for that. But discounting opposing viewpoints as being invalid because they do not share the prevailing bias is lame.

Yet you bring up the yard sign issue, which was posted back in June, before the revisions to the Historic Ordinance, and were admittingly made in jest to show the ordinance's flaws. Lame indeed.

You are wrong more often than not, as has been repeatedly shown. When proven/shown wrong you simply stop that argument and move on to another one, rinse/repeat. You get a pile of responses because of your blatant disregard for your neighbors, as shown by your manic threatening rant in your "we won you lost" post. You aren't here for debate, you are here to troll.

• Like 1

I am not wrong more often than not. I just take a point of view that is contrary to the prevailing pro-developer/anti-preservation view that is prevalent on this message board. Thus, plenty of people say things that are completely wrong (HAHC being able to control political content of yard signs--actual post in Historic Ordinance thread) and get a pass. But, I make a reasonable argument/observation (Bungalows in good condition at a certain price point sell quickly in the Heights) based on my personal experience of being in the market for over two years (and friends being in the market for another year beyond that), and I get a pile of responses because I do not share the anti-preservation view. Just because my arguments and observations start a debate doesn't mean that they are invalid. I do not have to post links to every sale of a bungalow in the Heights just because someone knows of an overpriced bungalow with a horrible rennovation that won't move. And I do not have to see a link to the bungalow that won't move and won't call that person a liar for not posting one because it is just an argument on a message board. Many who are pro-preservation and/or anti-Walmart have been bullied off this message board by people who pick apart their posts and call them all kinds of names. Debate is what makes message boards interesting. I am all for that. But discounting opposing viewpoints as being invalid because they do not share the prevailing bias is lame.

AGAIN with the political yard sign issue....have you not beat that horse to death yet? There are no fewer than 10 posts telling you that it was sarcastic and done with the intent to get a rise out of people, but you keep bringing it up.

And you actually ARE wrong more often that you are right, and 99.9% of the times when you are wrong and then someone proves you are wrong with facts and petty things like supporting evidence, you make no response, and then 5 posts later you repeat the same factual inaccuracy. It is frustrating beyond belief, because you seem to want debate, as long as the momentum of the debate is on your side. When the tides change, you no longer debate, you just ignore...that is not debating. It is sticking your head in the sand.

Nobody believes a liar even when he is telling the truth. That is why nobody believes you. Everything you say about Walmart may be true, but considering how often you were either lying or just completely wrong in the historic thread, it is not a giant leap to figure out why nobody believes you about walmart either...except for those people who obviously share your hatred of walmart....they might believe the sky is falling as long as we could blame Walmart.

• Like 1

You can't stop it. Just embrace it and look at the bright side. Soon you can play Walmart Bingo.

walmartbingo%20copy.jpg

Are these things you already see at other local merchants in the neighborhood (Kroger, Target, etc)? I had the impression the local neighborhoods were more upscale than that.

Hold on, did anyone hold the illusion that a chef-driven restaurant would be IN the Wal-Mart? Please. Anyway, it's gonna be trendy chains that fill the rest of it up anyway. That's what you (most) people want anyway. It's why Berryhill is the most happening restaurant in the hood already. Everyone just take off your uppity hats and admit you'll be eating at the PF Chang when it opens.

• Like 1

And you actually ARE wrong more often that you are right, and 99.9% of the times when you are wrong and then someone proves you are wrong with facts and petty things like supporting evidence, you make no response, and then 5 posts later you repeat the same factual inaccuracy. It is frustrating beyond belief, because you seem to want debate, as long as the momentum of the debate is on your side. When the tides change, you no longer debate, you just ignore...that is not debating. It is sticking your head in the sand.

So, you get to call me wrong 99.9% of the time without citing a single example and at the same time require me to substantiate everything I say? That is nothing more than crying "liar liar pants on fire" in the school yard.

And I do not ignore. I refuse to beat a dead horse. There is a time to argue and a time to move on. If you have interpreted my ability to move on as a concession that I am wrong, you are very wrong.

And the comment on yard signs was coming from someone holding himself out to be an attorney who made numerous interpretations of the ordinance that were beyond fantasy. He can't back track by claiming that he was not serious.

• Like 1

Hold on, did anyone hold the illusion that a chef-driven restaurant would be IN the Wal-Mart? Please. Anyway, it's gonna be trendy chains that fill the rest of it up anyway. That's what you (most) people want anyway. It's why Berryhill is the most happening restaurant in the hood already. Everyone just take off your uppity hats and admit you'll be eating at the PF Chang when it opens.

Here is a great example of my point. This post will get a free pass because it takes a swing at the people in the Heights who are against the Walmart. But, there is absolutely no evidence of a single upscale restaurant even being interested in this development. Do I now get to call this person a liar? No. Of course not. It is just speculation. We all do this, but I am not allowed to because I do not fit in with the little club of pro-walmart/anti-preservation people. In fact, I initially posted what was simply a wise crack about the walmart having a fast food restaurant and everyone has picked that to pieces. Why? Not because they care about whether it is actually true whether the Walmart will have a fast food restaurant. It is because they want to shout down anyone who opposes the Walmart, just the same way anyone who opposes the preservation ordinance gets shouted down in that thread.

• Like 1

But the fact that you continue to use the term "anti preservation" instead of "anti ordinance" does diminish your credibility. It seems that you are "discounting opposing viewpoints" yourself.

We are preserving a home, several counties away from Houston, that is older than any that the Heights has to offer. It is in a rural area and thankfully no one is telling us how to do it. We could have torn it down and rebuilt for what it's costing us but we actually want to live in an old, somewhat historic home. We oppose the current historic ordinance but we are not at all anti preservation.

I am not wrong more often than not. I just take a point of view that is contrary to the prevailing pro-developer/anti-preservation view that is prevalent on this message board.

Actually, you are wrong. I mean, look at how you say in the same sentence as you are not wrong, yet you call quite a few people anti-preservation, when in fact, they are anti-ordinance, and have stated as much, and shown examples of it.

That may not be a boldfaced lie (pretty damn close though), but it borders on extreme disingenuousness.

I'll finish this statement for you....

Here is a great example of....

what is obviously a sarcastic statement that you have obviously taken as a statement of fact, just like the political yard sign sarcastic remark.

I guess from now on you are going to reference that statement as well as the yard signs.

So, you get to call me wrong 99.9% of the time without citing a single example and at the same time require me to substantiate everything I say? That is nothing more than crying "liar liar pants on fire" in the school yard.

Here's an example where you were wrong...

You claimed the historic district vote was over and that we had lost. Two of the three Heights districts have since been voted down. The mayor will not let the third come to a vote for fear of the same result. You could not have been more wrong on that. Probably explains your lack of participation in that thread since then.

• Like 1

Here is a great example of my point. This post will get a free pass because it takes a swing at the people in the Heights who are against the Walmart. But, there is absolutely no evidence of a single upscale restaurant even being interested in this development. Do I now get to call this person a liar? No. Of course not. It is just speculation. We all do this, but I am not allowed to because I do not fit in with the little club of pro-walmart/anti-preservation people. In fact, I initially posted what was simply a wise crack about the walmart having a fast food restaurant and everyone has picked that to pieces. Why? Not because they care about whether it is actually true whether the Walmart will have a fast food restaurant. It is because they want to shout down anyone who opposes the Walmart, just the same way anyone who opposes the preservation ordinance gets shouted down in that thread.

Free pass for what? I know you aren't attacking me, I'm just trying to decipher the point. I wasn't in any way claiming that a PF Chang would get built, I just used that instead of writing <random chain 1 notch above fast food>. I like some crappy chain food - all of us do, some are just too good to admit it publicly. So if they put in a Wings n Things, yes, that would be neighborhood outrage and travesty to some. But I don't care, I think their wings are awesome so I'll go there instead of the depressing one on 290/Antoine.

Edited by 20thStDad

wait, what about Whataburger!!!!

that's some fast food I can really get behind.

plus, Whataburger would support the local economy, all of the buns used for every whataburger location are produced at the leeland baking co. or so I've heard.

Edited by samagon

Uh... no.

Why anyone would pay $27 for chicken strips is beyond me.

good thing they aren't nearly that expensive hater!

If you've ever been to a raising canes maybe you'd notice they are almost always super clean, very friendly, and their chicken isn't rediculously greasy like other places. They also tend to have dine in open late, which would be great for a location so close to Washington. Stumbling in to Raisin' Caines around 2:15 am after a night drinking at the bar was a great college pasttime.

7-8 bucks for a combo meal vs. what 6 bucks anywhere else? If you care that much about 1-2 bucks you really wouldn't be going to any "chef driven" restaurants...

• Like 2

I received a Walmart grand opening announcement for the store at 1118 Silber in the mail today. Inside, there is a free $5 gift card.

I just wanted to suggest to S3MH and any Walmart haters that are too good to be seen shopping in a Walmart that they might want to donate their free $5 gift cards to charity instead of throwing them away or burning them with their bras or whatever.

I think that is a GREAT idea!

HOwever, I also think that if Heights residents are getting mailers enticing us to shop at the Silber store, it shows that the Silber store is close enough to the Heights and that a 3rd location within a 7 mile radius is unnecessary.

• Like 1

HOwever, I also think that if Heights residents are getting mailers enticing us to shop at the Silber store, it shows that the Silber store is close enough to the Heights and that a 3rd location within a 7 mile radius is unnecessary.

Eh, no. It shows that the Heights responds well to direct mail and gift card coupons. (At the very least, you're obviously paying attention to it.)

On a related note, I've never received so much junk mail as I do now, having lived previously near the Astrodome and in Eastwood, but now just opposite 610 from the Heights. I'd never previously received any gift card enticements, either. The sheer volume of paper in my mailbox amazes me.

Eh, no. It shows that the Heights responds well to direct mail and gift card coupons. (At the very least, you're obviously paying attention to it.)

On a related note, I've never received so much junk mail as I do now, having lived previously near the Astrodome and in Eastwood, but now just opposite 610 from the Heights. I'd never previously received any gift card enticements, either. The sheer volume of paper in my mailbox amazes me.

Walmart is very well know as one of the most penny pinching companies in the world. They would not send a $5 gift card out unless they were very serious about getting the recipient to become a shopper at the new Silber store. Add that to the fact that many getting the gift cards live way closer to the Heights location, and Walmart's business strategy is pretty clear. They want to saturate the Houston market and try to beat the competition not by having the best products at the best price (Target won recent price comparisons promiting a "we'll match competitors" campaign) or by having the better shopping experience (Walmart has lost customers to Dollar stores because they are much easier to get in and out of for purchases of weekly staples than Walmart), but by simply being everywhere. The Target at Sawyer will eventually be surrounded by four Walmarts (counting the proposed Wayside location). Even if Target at Sawyer beats the pants off Walmart on Yale, they will lose the war because Walmart will have a greater market share simply by having so many stores. Walmart has previously used its largesse to increase its profits on the supply side and is doing the same on the demand side.

• Like 1

Walmart is very well know as one of the most penny pinching companies in the world. They would not send a $5 gift card out unless they were very serious about getting the recipient to become a shopper at the new Silber store. Add that to the fact that many getting the gift cards live way closer to the Heights location, and Walmart's business strategy is pretty clear. They want to saturate the Houston market and try to beat the competition not by having the best products at the best price (Target won recent price comparisons promiting a "we'll match competitors" campaign) or by having the better shopping experience (Walmart has lost customers to Dollar stores because they are much easier to get in and out of for purchases of weekly staples than Walmart), but by simply being everywhere. The Target at Sawyer will eventually be surrounded by four Walmarts (counting the proposed Wayside location). Even if Target at Sawyer beats the pants off Walmart on Yale, they will lose the war because Walmart will have a greater market share simply by having so many stores. Walmart has previously used its largesse to increase its profits on the supply side and is doing the same on the demand side.

You can hate Walmart all day long, but there is no doubt that as inflation rises, Walmart will be better positioned than any other retailer to leverage its size and buying abilities to keep prices lower than its competitors.

Have you seen the price of a Steak recently? A steak is up almost 50% from a year ago....Walmart will be able to eat some of that cost in order to offer it cheaper than their consumers. They do this constantly...more stores, more saturation. Fortunately for Houston, there is enough competition that Walmarts business plan will never shut down all the competition....but your hatred of Walmart will have you paying more for your food than if you shopped elsewhere.

Target may be cheaper now, but its unlikely they will be able to eat the inflation that is coming down the food lines as well as Walmart. I am getting almost 50% more for my live cows this year than I did last year at the auction....I can tell you right now that the feed lot is not going to take a lower profit margin, and the shipping is more expensive thanks to higher fuel prices...add to that our brilliant ethanol usage which drives up feed costs and reduces mpg and there is simply no possible way that food prices are not going to rise even higher.

Walmart is well positioned to take advantage of that exact scenario....when times are good people dont bargain shop nearly as much as they do when times are tight. This is a good scenario for Walmart....

• Like 1

...a 3rd location within a 7 mile radius is unnecessary.

According to you. But are you a Wal-Mart executive or do you own Wal-Mart stock? Then I'd say it's a very safe bet your "opinion" carries no weight at Wal-Mart's corporate headquarters and that soon you'll be joining me and a whole lot of other people shopping at the Heights Wal-Mart. I can't wait. How about you?

• Like 2

According to you. But are you a Wal-Mart executive or do you own Wal-Mart stock? Then I'd say it's a very safe bet your "opinion" carries no weight at Wal-Mart's corporate headquarters and that soon you'll be joining me and a whole lot of other people shopping at the Heights Wal-Mart. I can't wait. How about you?

Not speaking for me. :) I won't even go to the one they are building on wayside.

KTRK just ran an interesting piece for their consumer watch segment on "price matching" at walmart is saving people money. They took ads from two stores (HEB and CVS) and had walmart match their prices. For a variety of items, they paid 41.05, but without price matching, they would have paid 72.40

They made this sound like it was an awesome deal, but neglected to state that the other stores are cheaper to begin with and made a point in saying that CVS doesn't price match.

Geez.

KTRK article

Edited by ricco67

I won't even go to the one they are building on wayside.

That's your choice and you are absolutely free to make it. Whatever makes your boat float. However, I'd like to be free to decide for myself to go to their store in the Heights, and when it opens, I will, if for no other reason than to support free enterprise and oppose... well, I'll be nice and leave it at that.

• Like 1

They would not send a $5 gift card out unless they were very serious about getting the recipient to become a shopper at the new Silber store. Add that to the fact that many getting the gift cards live way closer to the Heights location, and Walmart's business strategy is pretty clear.

The strategy is clear (yet you still missed it). Walmart is trying to get loyal customers. They want to establish a relationship with customers inside of their future market zone, so when the Yale location opens they will already have loyal customers. The business strategy is to get people in their store.

• Like 1

The strategy is clear (yet you still missed it). Walmart is trying to get loyal customers. They want to establish a relationship with customers inside of their future market zone, so when the Yale location opens they will already have loyal customers. The business strategy is to get people in their store.

A very nice explanation. Too bad it will go over his head.

I got more information. It is a nation-wide campaign. Walmart is sending out gift cards to people living near new or remodeled stores. The idea is to get people to go to THAT STORE so they will shop at THAT STORE. People living near future Walmarts do not get cards. Thus, Walmart's own marketing shows that they are trying to use their largesse to knock out the competition instead of prices. (Walmart has stopped releasing same store sales data on a monthly basis, a sign that their ability to bring in consumers as the price winner has faded badly: http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/retail-analyst-brian-sozzi-sell-wal-mart-20110331-112039-991.html?sec=topStories&pos=7&asset&ccode) If you think Walmart is sitting around trying to get people in the Heights to go over to Silber in order to win them over until the Heights location opens, you are thinking way too hard. What is obvious is that Walmart is running out of options to find renewed profit growth. Largesse is how they got where they are. And it looks like they are going to bank on largesse in urban areas to get them out of their current rut.

• Like 1

KTRK just ran an interesting piece for their consumer watch segment on "price matching" at walmart is saving people money. They took ads from two stores (HEB and CVS) and had walmart match their prices. For a variety of items, they paid 41.05, but without price matching, they would have paid 72.40

Sure, you can save a lot of money if the only stuff you ever buy is what gets advertised below-cost by stores with higher average prices to lure chumps that will buy some of the stuff that isn't on sale in the same visit.

Also, just so you are aware, news stories like these come about when a company's PR consultants issue invitations to the press for what is essentially a guided tour. The store manager was probably aware of the visit days in advance and would've had to have given their blessing for it to go forward.