Walmart Supercenter At 111 Yale St.

HeyHatch

Walmart at Yale & I-10: For or Against  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Q1: Regarding the proposed WalMart at Yale and I-10:

• I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Q2: If/when this proposed WalMart is built at Yale & I-10

• I am FOR this WalMart and will shop at this WalMart
    • I am FOR this WalMart but will not shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart but will shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart and will not shop at this WalMart
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Q3: WalMart in general

• I am Pro-Walmart
    • I am Anti-Walmart
    • I don't care either way
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

Ditto - combined with the new ramps....uck.

I like the Northwest Mall location idea, that makes a lot more sense.

Except that it's harder to get to and less central than the supposed Yale location. Besides that, Heights residents would obviously not be able to use it then as it would fall outside their comfort zone. Use HEB as a great case in point (there's an entire thread about it somewhere but lord knows where it is). Many Heights residents hoped beyone hope that this property would be filled with an HEB as there are no convenient HEB locations nearby... despite there being an HEB on TC Jester and 18th. Putting a Walmart outside the loop would be like putting it on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean. It would miss a substantial part of its intended clientele.

Except that it's harder to get to and less central than the supposed Yale location. Besides that, Heights residents would obviously not be able to use it then as it would fall outside their comfort zone. Use HEB as a great case in point (there's an entire thread about it somewhere but lord knows where it is). Many Heights residents hoped beyone hope that this property would be filled with an HEB as there are no convenient HEB locations nearby... despite there being an HEB on TC Jester and 18th. Putting a Walmart outside the loop would be like putting it on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean. It would miss a substantial part of its intended clientele.

I wouldn't like the traffic an HEB created either.

I'm sure with the changes to the access roads they'll time the lights accordingly though (hopefully).

I wonder how well that HEB on 18th does. It is never busy.

I am still suspect of the simultaneous I-10 feeders and wal mart location. How will having wal-mart on I-10 with a half dozen new red lights make traffic better or reduce flooding? Weren't those the goals of the project? Would the store be possible without the additional I-10 access? To me this is as much a subsidy as anything else.

Except that it's harder to get to and less central than the supposed Yale location.

Exactly. Whereas the suburbs situated just beyond the loop are already adequately-served by various Wal-Mart stores, much of the inner loop is poorly served.

Moreover, the Heights needs to recognize that this is more than just a Heights issue; it's a community issue affecting dozens or possibly hundreds of individual neighborhoods. A few vocal Heights residents don't get to dictate terms or crowd out everybody else's preferences. And frankly, I don't understand why Heights NIMBYs are fretting over someone else's back yard.

Exactly. Whereas the suburbs situated just beyond the loop are already adequately-served by various Wal-Mart stores, much of the inner loop is poorly served.

Moreover, the Heights needs to recognize that this is more than just a Heights issue; it's a community issue affecting dozens or possibly hundreds of individual neighborhoods. A few vocal Heights residents don't get to dictate terms or crowd out everybody else's preferences. And frankly, I don't understand why Heights NIMBYs are fretting over someone else's back yard.

I agree the inner loop is under served, I just wonder if the Yale location is a good one (traffic wise). I'd rather them shut down the Kroger on 19th and build the Wal-Mart there.

I guess the plus is that the lot on Yale is fairly large and easier to develop. There was a site choice crew followed around on an NBC special on Wal-Mart and they have a lot of metrics that help them choose locations. Yale must have the demographics close-by and the predicted traffic that Wal-Mart wants to see before they build a store. They know their business fairly well, I probably shouldn't second guess them.

Edited by Hartmann

I agree the inner loop is under served, I just wonder if the Yale location is a good one (traffic wise). I'd rather them shut down the Kroger on 19th and build the Wal-Mart there.

I guess the plus is that the lot on Yale is fairly large and easier to develop. There was a site choice crew followed around on an NBC special on Wal-Mart and they have a lot of metrics that help them choose locations. Yale must have the demographics close-by and the predicted traffic that Wal-Mart wants to see before they build a store. They know their business fairly well, I probably shouldn't second guess them.

There aren't many 20+ acre inner loop sites on major thoroughfares with easy freeway access. They're going to have to compromise on some criteria, I think.

The Macy's distribution center and outlet store at the Gulf Freeway and Lockwood would be strategically better, IMO, but southbound access from I-45 is impaired and ramps off to each side of the I-45 mainlanes obscure visibility of the surrounding neighborhoods. Also, it's still being used.

The Grocer's Supply complex at SH 288 and Holcombe would be another physically feasible site, but prohibitively expensive. And likewise...it's still in use.

Just drove by there this weekend. Did the builder paint the underpass between I-10 and Washington? My husband said, "Those are WalMart colors." They are of course Texas state and US flag colors, but why beautify this particular underpass?

I wouldn't like the traffic an HEB created either.

I'm sure with the changes to the access roads they'll time the lights accordingly though (hopefully).

I wonder how well that HEB on 18th does. It is never busy.

My disappointment with this news (unconfirmed rumor?) is not that I'm not a fan of Walmart. I'm not, particularly, but they have as much right to develop that plot as anyone else, as long as they're the highest bidder for the site. My disappointment come from the fact that I'd rather this site were an HEB.

W/r/t traffic, some changes will almost certainly have to take place. First, there's a single north-bound lane on Yale just north of Washington. Left turns from this lane would block those that use north-bound yale to avoid trains. I'd expect that north-bound lane to go away, or for Yale to be two lanes each way for that stretch. Access from the south would seem to be the trickiest issue. Kohler would probably need an upgrade to allow for access from Shepherd. You might also see some kind of direct access to this property from the Eastbound feeder

For a while there, Northline Commons was supposed to be getting a WalMart. Wonder if thats still the case. If so, this spot wouldn't make any sense at all.

While the debate has been fun to read about WalMart "invading", I would go back to earlier posts regarding the NorthLine Commons location at CrossTimbers and I-45. WalMart is definitely going into this location at Northline per COH Online Permits. And if you drive by, they have walls up and are working on the exterior entrances already.

http://www.cohtora.houstontx.gov/ibi_apps/WFServlet (permit #09061747)

Because of its proximity to the Heights, I would agree with other earlier posts that it would not make sense to build another location when this Supercenter is being built relatively close to the Heights. And if you look at the amount of space this NorthLine location is taking up, there is no way the land on Yale would work with all of the drainage requirements required for new construction.

While the debate has been fun to read about WalMart "invading", I would go back to earlier posts regarding the NorthLine Commons location at CrossTimbers and I-45. WalMart is definitely going into this location at Northline per COH Online Permits. And if you drive by, they have walls up and are working on the exterior entrances already.

http://www.cohtora.houstontx.gov/ibi_apps/WFServlet (permit #09061747)

Because of its proximity to the Heights, I would agree with other earlier posts that it would not make sense to build another location when this Supercenter is being built relatively close to the Heights. And if you look at the amount of space this NorthLine location is taking up, there is no way the land on Yale would work with all of the drainage requirements required for new construction.

You might have a point if not for the fact that the Northline Commons Walmart is only 6 miles from the West Road Walmart. The Yale Street parcel is 7 miles from the Northline Commons Walmart. Additionally, there is a Walmart at FM 1960, Louetta, Sawdust, SH 242 and FM 3083 in Conroe. That's 7 Walmarts in a 35 mile stretch of I-45.

The question is not whether there will be a Walmart inside the loop, but when.

I concur that the rumor needs substantiating. It could turn out that this asinine mostly-off-topic thread was instigated by someone with bad information founded on bad assumptions. (That would explain away a lot of the discourse, too.)

It could turn out that this asinine mostly-off-topic thread was instigated by someone with bad information founded on bad assumptions. (That would explain away a lot of the discourse, too.)

I believe this would explain most of the internet :lol:

• Like 1

If a Wal-Mart does go in on Yale, my only concern is the traffic. I frequently use Yale to avoid the possibility of a train on Heights Blvd.

Well, the people that knowingly moved in next to railroad tracks that have been there since before they were born were successful in getting the train horns turned off -- maybe they can make the train go away completely and then this won't be a factor!

You might have a point if not for the fact that the Northline Commons Walmart is only 6 miles from the West Road Walmart. The Yale Street parcel is 7 miles from the Northline Commons Walmart. Additionally, there is a Walmart at FM 1960, Louetta, Sawdust, SH 242 and FM 3083 in Conroe. That's 7 Walmarts in a 35 mile stretch of I-45.

The question is not whether there will be a Walmart inside the loop, but when.

Don't forget you can sprinkle a few Sam's in there for good measure.

Speaking of Sam's (or stores exactly like it), there's a Costco smack in the middle of Greenway and no one seems to mind that in the least. I shopped there all the time when I lived in Greenway, and so did my River Oaks, Afton Oaks, Rice, Bellaire and West U neighbors, if the type of cars they drove were any indication of where they lived (along with the "Tower of Terror" bumper stickers).

I guess Costco must be "cool" like Target.

http://www.fidelisrealtypartners.com/property/documents/NorthlineFlier.pdf

Some hard info on the Northline Commons Walmart - it has an executed lease, opening October 2010.

Any actual info out there on a Yale St location isn't popping up on this interwebby thing.

We saw this pop up earlier in the thread, but Wal-Mart does not lease space for its stores and, true to form, Northline Commons is actually on a separate parcel of land from Wal-Mart. The fact is, brokers' fliers should rarely be counted on for hard info.

I concur that the rumor needs substantiating. It could turn out that this asinine mostly-off-topic thread was instigated by someone with bad information founded on bad assumptions. (That would explain away a lot of the discourse, too.)

Not to stir this pot back up, but I just got confirmation that it is Walmart. However, my source did not know whether the deal was closed or not.

So, someone posted the Swamplot post to Heights Kids Group and a mom in the group responded with this:

I can tell you that I have professional relationships with the developer seeking to build on that site and they are most definitely not negotiating a ground lease with Walmart.

ETA: but now I am unsure of what parcel she is talking about. Still, even Sarnoff was unable to really confirm anything.

Once Yale is developed and the area around Arne's, I'm going to be hard pressed to leave the Heights. I hate traffic.

Edited by heights_yankee

So, someone posted the Swamplot post to Heights Kids Group and a mom in the group responded with this:

I can tell you that I have professional relationships with the developer seeking to build on that site and they are most definitely not negotiating a ground lease with Walmart.

Found this on chron.com

http://blogs.chron.com/primeproperty/2010/07/post_69.html

Here's the followup story on chron.com

http://www.chron.com...ss/7090711.html

The most interesting quote being:

Another grocer had been eyeing the tract.

H-E-B said it recently made an offer on the Ainbinder parcel but was later informed that a counteroffer from Wal-Mart Stores was accepted, spokeswoman Cyndy Garza-Roberts said.

"We will continue to look for sites to bring an H-E-B to the Heights," she said.

Edited by heights

Here's the followup story on chron.com

http://www.chron.com...ss/7090711.html

The most interesting quote being:

Another grocer had been eyeing the tract.

H-E-B said it recently made an offer on the Ainbinder parcel but was later informed that a counteroffer from Wal-Mart Stores was accepted, spokeswoman Cyndy Garza-Roberts said.

"We will continue to look for sites to bring an H-E-B to the Heights," she said.

...and if anyone has any interest in reading and/or participating - here is a link to a FB page - Stop Heights Wal-Mart: http://www.facebook.com/StopHeightsWalMart?v=wall

The houston chronicle article today said that "A development site plan obtained by the Houston Chronicle shows a 152,015-square-foot Walmart flanked by a parking lot for 664 cars and additional retail spaces for a bank, fast-food restaurant and other stores."

Has anyone seen any site plans or renderings?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/7090711.html